Commissioner blames Black people for virus, uses racial slur

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Racism is everywhere! Even in county meetings!

Fortunately, there are also anti-racists at those same meetings.

-------------------------

"A northern Michigan county official was heard using a racial slur prior to a public meeting to describe African Americans in Detroit whom he blamed for spreading the coronavirus in the state.

When asked by a colleague why he wasn’t wearing a mask before the meeting on Tuesday, Leelanau County road commissioner Tom Eckerle said “well this whole thing is because of them (racial slur) down in Detroit," according to the Petoskey News-Review.

[. . .]

Road Commission Chair Bob Joyce told Eckerle that he couldn’t say that, to which Eckerle responded: “I can say anything I want. Black Lives Matter has everything to do with taking the country away from us.”

Joyce later rebuked Eckerle a second time.

“There’s just no room for that kind of language here,” Joyce told the Leelanau newspaper. “I won’t tolerate any kind of racism in our meeting room or in our organization. Around here, it’s all about the content of people’s character – not the color of their skin.”

The Leelanau Enterprise said two commission members confirmed the comment was made.

State Rep. Jack O’Malley said the county must take action against Eckerle.

"This type of racial slur is flat-out unacceptable and ignorant. I asked Mr. Eckerle to resign his position as road commissioner in light of these comments and shall he refuse, the citizens of Leelanau County have every right to recall him from office,” O’Malley said in a statement. “It saddens me to have to even make this statement.”

Eckerle, a Republican, was elected in 2018 to a six-year term on the road commission.

The Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations also called for Eckerle to resign.

“Dropping the N-word, along with falsely claiming that police accountability activists who are American citizens are taking the country away, is discourse that must be repudiated by all public officials,” the organization’s Executive Director Dawud Walid said in a statement."

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/08/07/commissioner-blames-black-people-for-virus-uses-racial-slur/24585671/

-----------------------------

Kate

SaveComment25Like1
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Glad to see they did the right thing.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

So a guy who sits on the road commission of a small Michigan county rudely and idiotically used a racial slur. Thanks for the heads-up. Leelanau County is a county located in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the population was 21,708.

wikipedia

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Is it less vulgar and rude because the place is small? I say no. it is as big and ugly if he was road commissioner for Kalamazoo county.

7 Likes Save    
ohiomom

You think that there are some behaviors people will not defend, and then they fool you by defending them. It must be so freeing for them to say out loud and proud all that hate and ugliness they have been spewing behind closed doors for so long.

Your wee little town has gone global now, for all the right reasons.

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

I don't see anything wrong with the alleged comments. Is that where we are now? "Mommy, he said a bad word". Who cares? No one.

Save    
leona_2008

Hey now! This happened in a small little town and there was no need for it to be known outside of of that community. 'Cause keeping quiet about it, or at most tsk-tsking it, has worked so well, hasn't it? /s

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Did he supposedly say something wrong?

Save    
leona_2008

lurker111

Did he supposedly say something wrong?

---------

Just saving this one for ya, lurker. You know, for when the "crats" delete it.

Save    
lurker111

Thanks. Can you answer the question? I didn't think so.

Save    
lurker111

Sounds like he was just laying down a little rap on ya.

Save    
HU-274840647

This is what is meant by systemic racism, a little joke here, a false statement there and offensive words accepted as normal and spiralling outward until it becomes the way things are.

5 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Defending the indefensible yet again?

Save    
how2girl

More like couldn’t be bothered reading it therefore it didn’t happen.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

So now all bigots deserve a defense? Is that yet another "benefit" of Trumpism?

The bigot has resigned but not before saying this:

Speaking at his home Friday afternoon, Eckerle initially refused to
comment on the situation, indicating that he already "gave my piece" and
would not comment further. He then referred the reporter to a note on
his counter from a supporter that said, "Let me know if you need any
support or backup."

"I’ve got a hell of a lot more of that than I’ve got criticism,” he said.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/08/07/leelanau-county-racial-slur-tom-eckerle/3324170001/

Save    
lurker111

I would never defend black comedy or rap. It's all pretty vulgar.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Tom Eckerle said “well this whole thing is because of them (racial slur) down in Detroit," according to the Petoskey News-Review"....“I can say anything I want. Black Lives Matter has everything to do with taking the country away from us.”

Yeah, sounds like a reasonably nice non-bigoted guy /sarc

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

“There’s just no room for that kind of language here,” [the Road Commissioner Chair] told the Leelanau newspaper. “I won’t tolerate any kind of racism in our meeting room or in our organization. Around here, it’s all about the content of people’s character – not the color of their skin.”

Reminder that there are some good people in that town also.

Kate

3 Likes Save    
Toby

The Neanderthals went extinct once and I think these new Neanderthals will be headed for extinction after this November.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Good one. ^^^ (jk) The word monkey doesn't bother me, either. Have at it. :^)

Save    
jmm1837

This story,and some of the comments here, not to mention on the Hilton thread, are very good illustrations of how pervasive the problem of racism is in the US. You cannot change what you don't acknowledge.

5 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Lurker, rather than fishing why dont you just say what you have to say?

Save    
lurker111

I said it in English. Having problems reading between the lines? ^^^

You cannot change what you don't acknowledge.

The sky isn't falling, either. Why should anyone acknowledge anyone's paranoid delusions?

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Who said the sky was falling? I missed that post.

I thought the OP was about what one person did what he could in his own civic backyard to discourage racist attitudes expressed by elected representatives who should be required to live up to some standards, in my opinion.

Kate

4 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Forgive me if I am wrong but I think there is supposition abroad that claims racism is when a bunch of black kids pick on a particular white boy in high school. There is no other kind only an inferiority complex based on paranoia and delusions.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

Conservatives, and in particular Trumpers, only understand things when it happens to them or those like them. That explains the lack of empathy.

2 Likes Save