SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

want to pressure can dry beans and stock

beesneeds
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Sorry, I know these threads have come up before. But houzz and google searches on houzz aren't turning up much, and the most recent is a couple years old.

I got a new in box pressure canner I haven't used yet. I want to use it pretty specifically for canning up dry beans (pints) and stocks (pints and half-pints). I don't really use either by the quart much, but sometimes I like to use my 12 oz or pint and a half jars. I might use it for other foods later, but these two are the ones I want to do most.

I already make stocks and beans a lot- and they suck up freezer space that could be better used for other and them made shelf stable for easy cooking.

Yes, I have been reading up on how to newbie pressure canning. Something I've seen around here is siphoning.. is there a sort of siphoning test I can do early on while doing a test run or two of the canner before I start canning food? Colored water in the jars?

I am an experienced WB canner for many years, and never had siphoning problems- is it the extra pressure that causes it in PC?

Anyone around here can up their own stocks and/or dry beans? I've seen some names giving the advice of hot pack. 3/4 full of beans, 1" headspace liquid. But not sure who all around here does their own now to confirm or not.

Also... can I freeze up a couple smaller batches of stocks and then later bring them up to boil and do a full canner load? I often make smaller batches of stock of 1-2 quarts worth and would like to process more than one kind at a time if that's possible with freezing then later canning. It works fine with WB processing whole tomatoes from frozen, figured it couldn't hurt to ask if I might be able to do the same here.

I am cross-posting this to the beans and harvest and cooking areas.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES