And here is Joe today!

Ann

"And by the way, what you all know but most people don't know, unlike the African American community with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things. You go to Florida you find a very different attitude about immigration in certain places than you do when you're in Arizona. So it's a very different, a very diverse community."

SaveComment99Like
Comments (99)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miss lindsey (She/Her)(8a)

Interestingly I’m in a conversation on Instagram right now about capitalizing Black and not brown, and one of the reasons given (by a Black woman) is that Black is a distinct culture in America while the term brown is used by many different cultures that all have brown skin but little else in common.

If you think Blackness is not a distinct culture I suggest you start following some Black content creators on social media and see what they have to say about it. On Instagram I’ve found @glographics to be really generous and informative.

3 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Poor Joe!

This is way past normal gaffes. I actually feel sorry that he has been put in this position. He should be allowed to gracefully fade into Ed McMahon land.

I haven’t heard yet what “The African American Community“ think of his degrading comments.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Lindsey, I don't know what you read, but it sure wasn't the OP.

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

If the Black community regards itself as a distinct culture, as Lindsey says, then Joe merely acknowledged it.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

He clarified it-

Earlier today, I made some comments about diversity in the African American and Latino communities that I want to clarify. In no way did I mean to suggest the African American community is a monolith—not by identity, not on issues, not at all.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

Trump:

Chris Wallace interview

Jonathan Swann Interview

The virus is going to magically disappear

Dr. Stella’s alien DNA and demon sperm

I’m taking hydroxychloroquine

Person Woman Man Camera TV

Biden will “take away your guns. Destroy your Second Amendment. No religion. No anything. Hurt the Bible. Hurt God. He’s against God. He’s against guns. He’s against energy.”

9 Likes Save    

The only way that quote in the OP would be problematic that I can see would be if one doesn’t regard Blackness in America as a distinct and definable culture unto itself, like Italian-or Spanish- or Navajo- or Finnish- or Mexican-American cultures.

What I’m learning is that Black Americans view their community as a culture that has evolved within and separate from the white majority in America.

2 Likes Save    
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I would like to see Mr. Trump utter a sentence as grammatically complex as the first one in the OP. If by chance he were to say it correctly with the help of a teleprompter I very much doubt that he would understand the meaning without having to study it a good long while. Anything that can be said about Joe Biden is such small beer compared to the monolithic excrescences of Donald Trump that it's like comparing a gnat to an elephant. Of course you are aware of this but apparently one must just keep on trying. These days it already fools almost no one.

18 Likes Save    
maddie260

Small minds! But they are trying!

Save    
heri_cles

DT's limited, juvenile vocabulary provides a clue as to how shallow his thought processes is and how uninformed and uneducated he is.

9 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Well I understood the original quote, basically what ML said... but the “clarification” throws a wrench in it.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Actually, both the original and clarification work. Though, as a White American - the statements are less about me.

PS: has there been much uproar in the various Black and Latino communities? It seems the initial uproar occurred within the Trump community.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Sure (outrage about Biden) isn't trending on Twitter.

This was fun.

https://twitter.com/tprstly/status/1291479883021983745?s=19

2 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Yes, this tactic is not going work yet some persist. The minute one of them posts what he/she thinks is a Biden gaffe, one reads what Biden said and it is never mean spirited, there is no name calling and it's not full of lies. A Biden gaffe is easy to forgive and that is why his gaffes do not work against him the way Trump's do.

10 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I totally understood what Biden was saying.

The first African slaves came to this country in 1619 (even before the Mayflower). African American culture has been in the country for 400 years. African Americans are a distinct community because the ancesters had a shared experience regarding their assimilation into American culture.

The LatinX cultures have come to this country at different times during the 20th century, most notably, the Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Mexicans during the 50-60s. Puerto RIcans and Cubans are different cultures - Cubans don't like to be taken for Puerto Rican and vice versa. Mexicans might be Spanish, Toltec, Mayan, Aztec ancestries.

3 Likes Save    
paprikash

Me thinks Bidense’s true racist feelings get exposed from time to time.

7 Likes Save    
Toby

Saying that the Hispanic community is more diverse than the African American community is racist?

But here you Trumpers go again, doing exactly what Trumpers complain about. First, you see racism in a statement that isn't racist, and secondly, you accuse him of being a racist because of that one statement.

I highly doubt that most voters are going to pay attention to anything Trump and his supporters have to say about Biden. The flailing around for some way to damage Biden is pitiful.

8 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

I agree Toby with one exception, I don’t think African American works anymore and the culture/community in question is more like Black American.

Save    
Toby

I was using Biden's words.

Hispanic isn't even the correct term now. Jerzeegirl has it right--it's LatinX. But please cut us older folks some slack. Vocabulary is changing rapidly.

Save    
queenmargo

Small minds! But they are trying!

"Come on MAN, are you a junkie"?

6 Likes Save    
Nana H

I understood exactly what Biden was saying and it's true. However, I can understand why it may have come across as insulting to the Black community.

The important thing is he has the cojones and integrity to apologize and/ or clarify. An important quality in any leader.

1 Like Save    
olliesmom

Biden just keeps getting worse.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I guess it soothes you to say that but, psst, it's not true.

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Having read all the comments here, I suspect the problem here is really this: Biden sees Black Americans as having a disinctive and unique culture, while his critics don't see a Black culture at all.

4 Likes Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

I think the OP and a couple of other posters didn't quite understand what Biden was saying-I agree with Ingrid that it is a grammatically complex sentence. There is nothing wrong with it. I also agree with soupgirl that perhaps after listening to Trump for almost four years, such a sentence may be incomprehensible for some.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Nana H

I understood exactly what Biden was saying and it's true. However, I can understand why it may have come across as insulting to the Black community.

The important thing is he has the cojones and integrity to apologize and/ or clarify. An important quality in any leader.

If cojones are a prequisite to being a good leader, Joe had better rethink his possible choices for a running mate. Didn't he say it would be a female?

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

most notably, the Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Mexicans during the 50-60s,

and from the 1980s to the present, from El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras -- at least in Los Angeles.

Biden does allow for the newer Black immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean with his "exceptions" comment.

1 Like Save    
aegis1000

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

What I’m learning is that Black Americans view their community as a culture that has evolved within and separate from the white majority in America.

Black people have tried to integrate into the dominant culture since slavery was abolished, ... but have been rebuffed to a large extent.

Some have made it ... many have not ...

P.S. Black people (of which I be one) ... aren't particularly put off by Biden's statements ...

1 Like Save    
FinallyHome

Ann -

What you don't get (and continue to start these posts) is that IT DOESN'T MATTER. The criminal in the White House has to go.

eta: They can roll him in a wheelchair, on a ventilator, circling the drain, etc. I'M ALL IN FOR BIDEN!

Ukraine, forgetabout it.

Jr., forgetabout it.

Anything you guys can come up with will not change the fact that the criminal has to go.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Teump is so dangerous I am afraid we won’t make it until Election Day. It’s NOKO, Iran, Russia, China, you name it they are all a threat in different ways and he has made everyone worse. Our economy is in shambles and people are dying. Immigrants are shut out and the poor are getting poorer. Small businesses are suffering and the billionaires are buying yachts. What more can he wreck?

Biden is our savior no matter who is his VP, if he lied, if his son made money in Ukraine. None of it equals anything near the danger of Trump.

Save    
Stan Areted

TDS, we're doing better than under Obama! (discounting the China Virus and the thug rioters and their democrat supporters).

President Trump doesn't HAVE to do anything, certainly not go.

We have elections and anyone saying a president "has to go" simply is exaggerating their wishful thinking.

Save    
elvis

Biden is our savior no matter who is his VP, if he lied, if his son made money in Ukraine.

Okay...

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Emotions are certainly running high tonight. I agree with Stan about wishful thinking. The election will determine who occupies the White House next year, not anyone's wishful thinking.

Save    
aegis1000

Stan Areted

TDS, we're doing better than under Obama! (discounting the China Virus and the thug rioters and their democrat supporters).

How ... can anyone discount these issues ???

They're ALL part of the JOB ...

5 Likes Save    
Nana H

That's part of the problem Aegis, Trump supporters only see what he, in their eyes, does well. Anything that is not going well, or is flat out disastrous, isn't his job. He is only responsible for what he chooses to be responsible for and that's just fine with them.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Yes Nana, everything Trump does is just fine. I am rather TIRED of reading your same Trump supporter attacks on a daily basis. You know we are Trump supporters, so don't play the "generally speaking" game. So much hostility coming from a person who can not even vote in our election.

4 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Nana H

"That's part of the problem Aegis, Trump supporters only see what he, in their eyes, does well. Anything that is not going well, or is flat out disastrous, isn't his job. He is only responsible for what he chooses to be responsible for and that's just fine with them."

No.

Part of the problem is armchair quarterbacks speaking for PRESIDENT TRUMP supporters.

I am a PRESIDENT TRUMP supporter and as one I can attest that your statement is an outright FALSEHOOD.

You simply don't know of what you speak or write.

Fortunately, PRESIDENT TRUMP supporters like me do not have an interest in armchair declarations that are falsehoods about us and about our candidate.

See ya at the ballot box, LOL!

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

LOL Stan, you said no, and I said yes, but sorta the same in a round about fashion.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Lurker, they don't know anything.

There is more than ample evidence for that, in fact just the opposite!

Remember, Donald Trump would NEVER see the inside of the Oval Office, you can mark those words! Trump cannot, and will not, be the next President of the United States. It won't happen. Hillary will be our president and "you" better get used to that. Good news is he (Trump) will never, ever, ever be elected. It isn't going to happen.

Such confidence, such passion, such surety! More than most of us see in a lifetime on a variety of issues.

All those constant admonitions, all those declarations, turned out to be Bluster Part One.

6 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Well, it is blustery in Canada;)

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Well, Russia is helping trump again. The Republicans can’t win without cheating.

If anyone thinks our country is better than it was with Obama they are using the same magical thinking Trump uses.

Now he has disrupted the USPS so he can hand it over to his cronies.

Save    
lurker111

lolol, riiiight.

3 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Yeah sure, everything is going so swimmingly under trump. Maybe he can be wished into office like he's wishing away covid-19.....or like a miracle they both will just magically disappear. Covid back to china, and trump back to russia where he would feel more at home with his very strong and powerful friend putin.

Save    
Ann

"So much hostility coming from a person who can not even vote in our election."

No kidding. What a life to have the leader of a neighboring country be so heavy on one's mind.

2 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

" What a life to have the leader of a neighboring country be so heavy on one's mind".

^^^ Well Ann supposedly trump is the leader of the free world, so that encompasses a lot of ground....all of it don't ya think?

1 Like Save    
Ann

"Maybe they are jealous?"

Maybe boring up north or pretenses felt to be needed there. The real characteristics are brought here.

Save    
Kathy

Let’s hope there are enough moderate Republicans that have seen the light.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

^^The 14th key will be to trump's jail cell when this is all over.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Kathy, Biden currently still has quite a lead in the polls and in the betting markets. But, the race has noticeably tightened in the last few weeks. We'll see what happens from here and then in November. Early in the year, before the pandemic, I felt confidence in a Trump win. Two months ago, the confidence had all but dissolved. Today, I'm at about the 50/50 point. IMO, the left has gone really far left - more than I ever expected they would in this election. While I know the anti-Trump sentiment is super strong, I also think many voters might be looking at the other option and thinking - whoa, that's just getting too weird! Then, there is what I think is a real issue with Biden's aging mental difficulties and at least IMO, I think that's a clear and glaring issue right now. All these things certainly add up to a most interesting election season!!!!

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

" I also think many voters might be looking at the other option and thinking - whoa, that's just getting too weird! "

No one can out-weird trump and trumpism.

5 Likes Save    
bfox254

I so do wish Trump would magically disappear!

The mail slow down is very real. I don't know if others are experiencing issues. but our mail delivery, which has reliably been between 1-3 in the afternoon, has slowed down considerably in the last few weeks. The mailman shows up between 6 or 7 in the evening and a few days there has been no mail delivery at all. When I asked the mailman why, he just shook his head and said "personnel shortages".

Save    
Kathy

There is nothing wrong with Biden’s mental facilities. That is the Russian propaganda. I’m surprised anyone believes it. Too many gullible Trumpers are fostering the Russian Babble.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

^^^...same here bfox, if you pay your bills by mail make sure you do it at least a week earlier than normal or your next bill may have a late payment fee added on. I've gotten one bill like that so far. It's trump's bonus gift to his corporate pals who do not need it.

Save    
Ann

Kathy, one just has to watch Joe speak to form an opinion of his mental state. Russia has nothing to do with Biden's ability to form words and sentences. But, as always, we can certainly agree to disagree about what each of us takes from viewing him speaking.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Ann

Kathy, Biden currently still has quite a lead in the polls and in the betting markets.

Chinese bots.

3 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"Russia has nothing to do with Biden's ability to form words and sentences."

Correct! russia is only interested in trump's ability to form words and sentences.

Save    
queenmargo

russia is only interested in trump's ability to form words and sentences.

LOL- well, the left doesn't think Trump can form words or sentences, so, we know Russia is not interested vgkg.;)

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Russia has a hard time with the English language, just like trump.

Save    
paprikash

6 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Trump is doing his best to take down the career swampers. They are an ugly lot!

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

kathy:

There is nothing wrong with Biden’s mental facilities

"Come on man, are you a junky? You lying dog faced pony soldier. If you don’t want coronavirus then just don’t remember what the reason for that was and you will be the time you got bad health insurance."

Just a small sample of Biden quotes.

Videos galore, transcripts galore, but this year has become quite alarming.

This is about as close to a "Weekend at Bernie's" candidate as one can get.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

LOL paprikash. The left will be toting around Joe and Ruth in the sequel ;)

Save    
HU-274840647

The way to get rid of a state run institution like the usps, underfund it so that it can’t function efficiently then work hard to point out those inefficiencies without taking responsibility for it.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Biden is only three years older than Trump——and not only does he know how to pronounce Yosemite and Thailand, he knows where they are.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

He does if someone puts it on a teleprompter and he's had his meds.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I don't pay much attention to National polls at this point. Biden will likely win the popular vote but that and $2 bucks will get you a cup of coffee. They are mildly interesting but that's about it.

I do watch the State polls however and in the key States Biden is doing quite well. It appears like he got a Covid boost in May and June and generally that has held with some slight contractions in some States but still enjoying solid leads.

WI +7.4. MI +7.6, PA +6, FL +5.1 AZ +3.4 , OH is a dead tie. NC is even in play but barely.

While it all looks hopeful, I am not at all convinced of a Biden win. Too many unprecedented things going on that have zero to do with the will of the people. A Trump win would be the worst thing I could imagine but I don't rule it out.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

I agree Nana. There is too much going on to undermine our election. Between gerrymandering, bought off electoral votes, suppressing voting, Russian interference there is no guarantee of a fair election.

BTW I just want to offer this bit of good news. The Atlanta Hawks donated their stadium for a voting place to replace so many lost in Atlanta.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"Trump is doing his best to take down the career swampers. They are an ugly lot!"

He sure has gotten rid of a lot of repubs that were in power, but there's mitch, lindsey, and so many other gopers to go. Too bad he just replaces alligators with his own brand of crocodiles and toadies.

1 Like Save    
Toby

Nana, I just wanted to say that you always present yourself as a person of good character, even when Trumpers are piling on. Isn't it funny how often they lecture other posters to discuss the topic and not the poster and then they turn around and make half of this thread about you?

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Toby, I live rent free inside their heads. Their burden, not mine : )

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Some people like to make things all about themselves lol lol lol

1 Like Save    
Toby

I'm just realizing how much like Trump it is--no knowledge about the topic so they attack people instead.

1 Like Save    

President of the United States is not an entry level job.

When a novice tries it out, we get the chaos we see in the States right now.

Save    
Stan Areted

People tend to come into other people's heads when someone is constantly peering in their windows and making negative public judgments about them, the way they think, and what they do in their own country/home.

As far as rent, gee, some people from numerous countries--individuals, journalists, all types of voyuers, should pay taxes to the United States for a useage fee--numbers of hours a day consumed with what goes on in the United States of America, and the temerity to judge us for our own opinions about our own country!

Save    
Kathy

Russia is interfering. We have been warned. Putin wants Trump. It’s been broadcast loud and clear. Ignore at the peril of the US and when it comes to pass there will be no one to blame but ourselves.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Doubling down, I see.

I suggest voting twice--it's easy if you're on the rolls as a democrat--just tell them you are someone that died, and they'll let you vote alive and dead.

Truly--you might need to to win.

Save    
Toby

I don't see any falsehoods--just hard truths. There are about 60 million who voted for Trump. Any observation made about the general beliefs and character of Trump supporters will apply to some of them.

Save    
paprikash

We all know China is interfering and the fact that their choice is the weak and malleable candidate — Bidense. He’s their most favored puppet.

3 Likes Save    
Toby

Ain't that the truth! Biden should take a lesson from Trump on how he stands up to Putin!

1 Like Save    
paprikash

I know many liberals/democrats are party first, country-last, anyone but Trump people BUT Bidense, really? Come on MAN, couldn’t you have come up with a better choice? Last time, Hillary; now, Bidense —- what an idiotic party.

2 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Biden is out on his bike today

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Biden, neck sniffer, prepubescent chest hugger, lying dog face pony soldier, "I'd beat the he$$ out of Trump" "You wanna go outside with me?"

My favorite, coming in just ahead of the "you cannot go to a 7 11 or a Dunkin donuts..... INDI*** accent."

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook ..."--Joe Biden.

It's storybook that this is okay with the democrats, who would be clutching pearls and smelling salts if a Republican said any one of those.

So predictable.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Rofl. I love it. China is interfering but the intelligence says its Russia. Denial in that bubble.

Save    
dandyfopp

Plus Donnie wears a diaper.

Here is Joe today.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/mmpadellan/status/1292155024148226049

1 Like Save    
elvis

P.S. Black people (of which I be one) ... aren't particularly put off by Biden's statements ...

Isn't that something! What a responsibility that must be, speaking for all black people. I be a white person and sure wouldn't presume to speak for all white people.

If, OTOH, you meant to say that you are a black person who hasn't been particularly put off by Biden's statements, duly noted. Good to know.

5 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

John Durham is preparing to interview John Brennan.

4 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Well there’s some good news right there elvis doesn’t presume to speak for me.

Save    
Stan Areted

John Durham is preparing to interview John Brennan.

The weekend just got even better!

2 Likes Save    
Rudebekia

Poor Joe. Hopeless.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Brennan was more than agreeable to speak to Durham.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

After decades of the GOP's Southern Strategy, many conservatives still have delusions that Blacks will vote for a white Republican candidate.

Psst, please look at past Black voting patterns, and realize that the GOP has never intended to attract Black voters.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

1 Like Save    
elvis

^^^They all look exhausted. Understandably!

Save    
Kathy

Trump is on with his lying press conference spreading fear and hate on national tv.

Save    
Ann

Nana: "WI +7.4. MI +7.6, PA +6, FL +5.1 AZ +3.4 , OH is a dead tie. NC is even in play but barely."

Fairly big difference between the numbers you provided and the current RCP averages among 3 of those 5 specific states you listed - WI +5, PA +4.7, FL +4.0 (on RCP).

Nana: "I do watch the State polls however and in the key States Biden is doing quite well. It appears like he got a Covid boost in May and June and generally that has held with some slight contractions in some States but still enjoying solid leads."

Just a few days ago, 8/5, there was a 538 article where a comparison was made between Clinton and Biden leads this far ahead of the election. The article looked at national and state polls. This was the part specifically about the first three states you mentioned, Nana.

"But there are also nine states where Biden’s margin over Trump is smaller than Clinton’s was at this point in the campaign. In Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, for example, Biden’s margin over Trump is about 2 to 4 points smaller than Clinton’s was. But he’s also at or very close to 50 percent in each of those states, which wasn’t the case for Clinton."

Save    
Ann

"numbers of hours a day consumed with what goes on in the United States of America"

Lol, that rent fee would be pretty hefty if based on this:)

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

It may pay off the COVID debt! LOL

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Ann, yes, I am quite sure there is a difference given that, from what I can see, RCP is fairly narrow compared to 538 in the polls they include in their averages.

I also don't put much faith in comparisons between 2016 and 2020...too many seriously different things happening.

Not saying the perspective I have is any better than yours just different. So you look at it the way you want to and I will look at it the way I choose to. Facts are we both come to exactly the same conclusion...it's a coin toss.

Save    
aegis1000

Aegis500: P.S. Black people (of which I be one) ... aren't particularly put off by Biden's statements ...

elvis: Isn't that something! What a responsibility that must be, speaking for all black people. I be a white person and sure wouldn't presume to speak for all white people.

If, OTOH, you meant to say that you are a black person who hasn't been particularly put off by Biden's statements, duly noted. Good to know.

I'm not just a black individual. I live in the midst of a black community, and cater to black news and opinion shows. And, in all of that, I don't know of one other black person ... or heard one black commentator state that they had an issue with Biden's statements here.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Landscape Design How Brick Fits Into Today’s Gardens
Natural brick is often considered a traditional building material. Here’s how people are using it in contemporary gardens too
Full Story
Kitchen Design Today’s Coffee Stations Have All Kinds of Perks
Some of these features are so over the top that they will give you a jolt
Full Story
Pets Here’s How to Show Your Pet Even More Love
February 20 is Love Your Pet Day. Find all the ideas and inspiration you need to celebrate right here
Full Story