SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

My recent plant haul

mxk3 z5b_MI
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

In an ongoing quest to incorporate taller plants in my beds, recently went a-haulin. Here's what I came home with:

* Boneset (Eupatorium perfoliatum)

* Swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) -- I can't get enough of this, I just love the vase-shaped habit, and my established clumps having been throwing heads of flowers since at least early July. The ones I just bought are "Ice Ballet", the white one - they'll show better in the part shade location they're going

* Mountain mint (Pycnanthemum muticum) -- won't get as tall as I'd like, but saw in display garden and liked the silvery-topped foliage effect and is supposed to attract hoardes of pollinators

* Tall larkspur (Delphinium exaltatum) -- all that were left were small plants (4" pots), hopefully they'll grow up and out nicely next year

* Agastache "Black Adder" -- was hemming and hawing on this one but decided to go for it, is supposed to get around 4-ish feet (hopefully at least that tall...), and I like the somewhat richer flower color of these compared to other cultivars, which are quite washed-out from what I've seen

* Vernonia "Southern Cross" -- have resisted the willowy-leafed type of ironweed in the past, this type of foliage just never was my thing, but I have to say I like the willow-leafed sunflower and the whorled milkweed I bought earlier this year so figured why not, it was a gorgeous full specimen and I think I have a good spot for it that will highlight foliage to full effect.

Also in my haul was a cup plant (Silphium perfoliatum) -- not going in the bed because way too large, will plant out on the property somewhere. I bought it for no other reason than I just wanted it :0p

Going to be good planting weather this weekend, and will have plenty of time to play around out there while I'm on vacation next week.

Comments (11)