SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcd1701

What chairs would you pair with this table??

Kathi (kmcd)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My husband and I are building a new house that will be ready in the Spring and I am trying to put together a furniture plan. I wrote another post under a different account and didn't get many responses regarding the dining room table. So I am trying again. My dining room will be 15'0"x15'6" and we are considering the 96" length as we were told that 96" would seat 8-10 at another table store. The RH website states that this particular table seats 6 to 8. There will be counter top seating if necessary and when large dinners are hosted it is rarely a sit down dinner. Having said all that, I would still love the opportunity to seat as many people as I can as we have 4 children between us and each one comes with a partner when invited to dinner. but really love this table! So my Questions are: What is the largest table we can put in our dining room and what chairs would you pair with this table. I don't love the chairs that RH paired with it and am having trouble envisioning anything else. At first I thought I would pair them with a slip covered chair that would give the same look but be a little more casual. I also do not want to spend $900 per chair. https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod17400317&categoryId=cat1420000

I am including the sofa that we've tentatively decided on. Though ours will be a sofa/chaise sectional. (which leads me to my next design question of size of couch that I can put in my great room!) The table and the sofa are the only items we will be purchasing before the move. Every other furniture items will be purchased once we have settled into the new place but I would love to have some idea of what other items we should be on the look out for.

https://www.novofurniture.com/?s=Retreat+sofa

I am also including the floor plan of our new place.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may share!

~Kathi

Comments (26)

• cubby14
    3 years ago

I can't help with chairs but I can answer about size of table, My dining room is 15' and my table with all of the leaves is 116" which works great.

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you cubby14. How many chairs do you fit around your table when fully extended?

• Related Discussions

What rug would you pair with this chair?!

Q

Comments (26)
    I don't think you necessarily have to go neutral, but I think keeping the rug to one dominant color (could be tone-on-tone, not suggesting a solid) or one color plus a neutral (blue and cream, magenta and gray). An overdyed oriental to match the blue or pink in the chair could work. https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cameron-Tweed-Magenta-Ash-Area-Rug-9-x-12/20741001/product.html?refccid=WC2DPIGUCFQKH6KD7OQDS4PID4&searchidx=69 https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Valencia-Traditional-Distressed-Silky-Polyester-Rug-8-x-10/13299669/product.html?refccid=4NOO663MC3GKUACMWT46ELJFQU&searchidx=409 https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-tufted-Tatum-Aqua-Wool-Rug-79-x-99/9590760/product.html?refccid=4NOO663MC3GKUACMWT46ELJFQU&searchidx=371 https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/M.A.Trading-Hand-Woven-Khema5-Multi-9x12-India/14033108/product.html?refccid=CMHPLRQ6MJJ22HCMRN2QDD4IDA&searchidx=46
    ...See More

what chairs would you pair with this table?

Q

Comments (10)
    Beautiful table.!! These are on sale and arhaus has a great reputation, different wood colors available. https://www.arhaus.com/furniture/dining-room-furniture/dining-room-chairs/cadence-dining-chair-with-metal-stretchers/?FinishName=AGED ELM& We actually bought a table just yesterday and hadn’t considered black, only to find this picture (Joanna Gaines does it again) that made me rethink excluding it. Our wood tones are vastly different than yours tho. I imagine if yours is a washed out gray, black might be too dulling. Post pics when you’ve got it all put together!
    ...See More

What style chairs would you pair with a chesterfield loveseat

Q

Comments (1)
    Because of corner fireplace with not a lot of space, I suggest a chair which is not too heavy but tall enough to hold its own. The chair is from Ballard Designs.
    ...See More

What bench would you pair with this table?

Q

Comments (2)
    First bench seating IMO is the worst possible seating in aDR. It barely works at a picnic table . To get in and out everyone has to stand to move the bench ladies in a dress find anyway else impossible to get in and out. That table looks like it enlarges so how will the bench work then . Get all chairs you will never regret that choice.
    ...See More
  • cubby14
    3 years ago

I have 8 regularly but could do 10

Kathi (kmcd) thanked cubby14
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. But when doing some reading about dining rooms and space needed, everything I've read says that you need 3 ft of space between chairs and walls. By those calculations the biggest table I could get is a 9ft table. The sales person in the store basically said the same thing to me. I know sometimes you can break the rules when having guests over and the table gets extended, but this particular table doesn't extend. Wondering if there is anyone else who can suggest chairs and/or clarify maximum table length for the room? Wondering too if there is anyone who may have this RH Heston table and what chairs they paired with it and or why RH recommends fewer chairs for the table? I'm sure it probably has something to do with the table base, but wondering if more chairs or a couple of benches might work for the odd special occasion?

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am hoping a professional will read this thread! @Home Interiors with Ease posted this table as a console table on another thread and would love some advice regarding the table or the furniture plan in general! Pleasee :)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Hi Kathi.....glad to help.....to answer dining table size best to have as close to 3’ behind each chair in a formal dining area so dinner guests can get around..I break the rules a bit in eat in kitchen areas🤗

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Julie! As for chairs?? My husband leans towards modern and I lean ecclectic. We definitely want a laid back feeling in the space. The kitchen is 2 toned and reads very much like this one :

However, this is the show home and not our floor plan. The cabinetry, light fixtures and floor and wall colours will be the same. (Hard to see, I know but I took a screen shot from a video on Youtube) Unfortunately we can't change the lighting now and will wait until we move in to do so. But it gives one a sense of how the house "feels". I'd like to maintain this feeling with the table and chairs.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Love these world market slipcovered chairs they would look amazing with the dining table you are getting...great reviews.....and I have had several clients buy them for their own big dining tables....you can’t beat the price...

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I love the slip covered ones :) My husband will love the price. Even with the Canadian/US exchange they will still be cheaper than anything I've seen and liked. I like the lower back and the square"ness" of them. Will likely have to do some layover shipping to eventually get them to Canada but worth it! Thank you so much!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

You are very welcome🤗

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So my husband and I went to RH in Vancouver to look at the Heston table and they didn’t have one in the gallery. So we decided to look at the RH outlet and yes, there were quite a few that had been returned due to chipping and probably just the general unattractiveness of the actual table in real life. The base was beautiful but the concrete looked like plastic. Very unappealing and so glad we got to see it before we ordered one!

We had no intentions of purchasing anything but a good deal is a good deal and ended up buying this table https://rh.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod19220056&sale=false
    and these chairs
    https://www.rhmodern.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod7440411&sale=false
    And I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on head chairs. Fabric is perennials performance linen in white.

Would you stick with the same chairs at the head or buy the track arm version
    https://www.rhmodern.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod7440412&sale=false
    or the slope arm
    https://www.rhmodern.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod8850016&sale=false

Kind of leaning towards the slope arm. Thoughts?

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ugh! Not sure why the links didn’t work, but at least the pictures uploaded!

• loobab
    3 years ago

To answer the question about what type of chairs to have at the end of the table, you need to answer some questions first:

Does your spouse insist on a chair with arms?

When you entertain in the dining room, do you get up from the dining room table to go back and forth to the kitchen, or do you have help that serve and clear?

If the former, from which seat is that the most convenient for you?

If you are the one that pops ups during the meal to serve and clear, etc, and the layout of your kitchen and dining room is such that sitting in the middle of table allows more convenient access to the kitchen than sitting at the end of the table, then, there is really no need to have two end chairs with arms.

If your husband insists on it, and he always sits on the end of the table, you can get one for him.

In many cases, if one entertains friends and people they know, to faciliate conversation. the host and hostess may sit in the middle of the table on either side.

Sometimes to enhance decor, people will get head chairs for the ends of the table and in addition, will have different upholstery on the arms and the back of the chair. I am not sure that is the look you are going for, though.

Unsolicited advice- please get those chairs treated with some sort of anti-stain product. If I recall, Patricia Colwell recommended one in the past.

You might also think about having some sort of removable and washable cover made for them for the days when you have children over even if they are seated at the children's table. They will rush over to their parents with a drink in hand and greasy fingers.

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi loobab. Thank you for your response. My husband doesn’t insist on the arms. Though I kind of like having arms myself. I tried the track arms and didn’t love the feel of them, though they were chairs with casters and I think it made them slightly higher than the chairs without.
    I am most definitely the one who will be doing the popping in and out of the table for serving etc. But the table is 96” and 40” wide so there is room for family style dinners with platters on the table. Having said that, I believe an end seat will be closest to the kitchen, though not 100% as the house is not built yet.
    Our children are 19, 20, 20, and 23 and still a ways from grandchildren so I’m not too worried about the fabric and was assured that the perennials performance textures “linen” fabric was stain proof, but yes, will definitely treat it also to make sure.
    I was actually very surprised my husband wanted the white chairs but we are entering a different phase in our lives and decorating for “us” vs decorating for the children has been a long time coming. As for the “look” we’re going for, it’s hard to say at this point as this is the only piece of furniture that we have for the new place. Some items will be coming with us, but not many. I have a lovely old buffet that I thought I would put in the dining area but it’s very different from the table set and will have to see how it all looks together when the time comes.
    I do love an eclectic space and really love the look of the rustic table with the modern chairs.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Love the reclaimed table and the chairs...I would do the same chairs all around! Super chic!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Make sure to buy some “Bayes” it is the best must have fabric protector...just spray on let dry over night and they will be protected for a long time..repels water too! Have it on all my furniture..a house full of neutral fabrics!

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you HIWE! Short sweet and to the point! I completely trust your opinion and will be picking your brain more when the time comes for more furniture purchases! Will definitely grab some Bayes!

• loobab
    3 years ago

Don't worry about the buffet being a different style.

That's a good thing.

You don't everything all matchy, matchy.

You want your place to look like it has high quality things accumulated from a life well-lived over time.

Whether or not you inherited some of these things, or picked some up on your travels, is no ones business.

You certainly don't want your place to look as if you walked into a store and said, "I'll take every piece in this collection," or like a static hotel room devoid of personality.

Oh, the house isn't built yet!

I would definitely hold off on any more furniture until the house is built.

Then once the house is built, for whatever furniture you are considering, you can lay out paper on the floor in the measurements of the piece, measure out the three feet distance all around for the walkway and see how that works.

Besides, you can gets really great deals on floor models, returns, etc.

Re: casters, you can always add them yourself if you want them.

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

House won’t be finished until the Spring and we really weren’t going to buy furniture yet, but all the pieces were half off at the outlet and another couple was looking at it too, so we jumped. The dining area is 15’ x 15’6” so I’m confident that 96’ x 40’ allows for the required 36” around the table.

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

When my husband and I for married, I sold everything in my place except the buffet. It has a long history and lots of funny stories to go with. Love it too much to sell and will definitely make it work somewhere!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Kathi..I am sure your buffet will fit in somewhere! It is fun to add Loved pieces that pull at your heartstrings....sometimes you use them in another way in a different room...I would love to see it and help find the perfect new area in your new home! So exciting..very happy for you...I have moved into 5 new homes over 38 years plus two lake houses and each time it was a new thrill..it never grows old....just enjoy and don’t over think things...move in with limited pieces and once you are in and get the feel you will be ready to shop til you drop!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Check Crate & Barrel. They have a table similar to your original and chairs available in many different fabric colors.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/morris-ash-grey-reclaimed-wood-extension-dining-table/s585103

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/caicos-cement-top-dining-table/s314128

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Beverly,
    We impulsively bought the reclaimed Parsons table and Emery chairs already when we were at the RH outlet. My husband and I love them which is very surprising as we have extremely different tastes when it comes to decorating.

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Home Interiors with Ease,
    I know what you mean! A friend recently pointed out that in the 10 years that she’s known me, I’ve moved 7 times! Each time is exciting and this home is especially so as it will be the first home that my husband and I create together. We got married in 2018 and I moved into his place that he bought for “us” but it never really felt like mine.
    Our families think we’re a little crazy as it’s a very big home for just us, but Covid saw all our children home with us (my daughters’ have been here all summer as universities went online and they didn’t have to work either!) and our old place didn’t have room to eat together or sit and talk comfortably. We want a place where we can host the children and eventually grandchildren! We are very excited but I second guess all my decorating choices! So this process is a little stressful and all I’m doing is just thinking about it! Lol! When it’s time to shop until I drop I’m going to be a mess! So glad to have Houzzers to help!

• Nancy M
    last year
    last modified: last year

Kathi -- There are guidelines for table size related to room size, rug size, and number of guests. This is what I've learned from personal experience with banquet planning and dinners at home:

Rug Size -- Allow a minimum of 24" from the edge of the table to the edge of the rug if you don't want guests moving chairs to damage the binding on your rug. Example: A table 4' x 8' should be anchored with a rug at least 8' x 12'. If you can manage a rug 30" out from your table edges, even better.

Room Size -- Again, allowing space for guests to move chairs and leave the table is key. If guests need 24" minimum to exit, allow space for furniture you're placing around the walls near the table plus a minimum 12" walkway. If you prefer that guests not have to scrunch past others who are still seated, allow 24" for walking (width of a typical bathroom door).

Number of Guests -- 20" x 12" of table space per guest works for family/friends dining. 30" x 14" of table space per guest is suitable for formal dining, assuming your dining chair dimensions aren't any wider. Consider how many chairs will fit between table legs as well. If your table has an overhang of 12" or more, table legs bumping knees shouldn't be an issue.

Benches typically allow for more guest seating than chairs.

A round table allows for extra elbow room between chairs because each guest has a pie-shaped area for dining vs. a rectangle.

Hope this helps despite your post being months old.