Explosion in Beirut Lebanon port

THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Reportedly a ship carrying fireworks.

Tremendous blast.

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1290680394426261505

"The explosion in #Beirut’s port area is utterly extraordinary — the blast wave is huge. Lots of initially small explosions followed by a massive one raises lots of questions - potentially consistent with large scale munitions, but also mass gas storage?"

SaveComment37Like
Comments (37)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lurker111

That was pretty bad. I'm glad my friend is safe on his farm near Tripoli.

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

It could have been an arms stash.

The mushroom cloud and dark pink smoke are suspicious.

Save    
Save    
HU-274840647

Tons of explosives either fireworks or armaments but why so close to people and buildings?

Save    
Marigold

horrifying

Save    
HamiltonGardener

I didn’t have this one on my 2020 bingo card.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

The red plume says Nitrous oxide. Not fireworks.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

2.700 tons of ammonia nitrate. Like a huge fertilizer bomb. It blew up their wheat and grain silos.

This takes me back to the 80's. I co-wrote a song about the truck bomb in Lebanon.

"Them and You"

Save    
HU-274840647

Trump says it was an attack, a bomb

Save    
Marigold

has it been recorded at all, Lurker? I am not familiar with it

Save    
Marigold

"Trump says it was an attack, a bomb"
I hope, hope, hope he is wrong

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Trump says it was an attack

How would he know; he says that the IC doesn't brief him.

Save    
lurker111

Some people are reporting a missile...I saw a bird.

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

It seems that this material can spontaneously combust but whether a missile set it off or it set itself off, was nobody aware of the danger?

Save    
elvis

The cause of the blast was not immediately known, although Lebanese government officials said highly explosive material was in storage at the port after being confiscated from a ship, The Associated Press reported.

Video on social media showed an initial column of smoke rising at the port before a second, more forceful explosion occurred — sending shockwaves across the city that overturned cars, blew out windows, and collapsed balconies and roofs.

Save    
Bookwoman(7a PA)

It seems to have been set off by the fire from the first, smaller explosion in the fireworks factory. No one has said anything about what caused that one.

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

It's heartbreaking that all harbormasters did not learn from the Halifax explosion.

Or Texas City.

More than 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate was stored in the Beirut
warehouse that was the scene of Tuesday's deadly explosion that killed
dozens of people in the Lebanese capital, authorities say.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/massive-explosion-shocks-beirut/story

Save    
lurker111

Don't remind me of the missile strike in West, TX 2013. There were videos of the missile. obama-biden? I'll have to see if I can find that video. It has probably been scrubbed.

Save    
Marigold

Apparently the Pres was speaking out of turn again. Defense officials deny it was an attack Sheesh https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1290816143029149696

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Expect Dear Leader to tweet some DOD firings tonight.

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

It is what it is.

2 Likes Save    
Cookie8

"What did Bibi mean by this?"

I am not a fan of Netanyahu but he has made many similar threats regarding Syria and Hezbollah in the past. It is just, most likely, a poorly timed, yet another, threat.

As far as the explosion - I can't even imagine the damage it left. I saw one video, one from a distance, and I know I don't want to see another. The power in that explosion was shocking to me.

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

Obviously when Trump said it was an attack, Israel moves into the frame, does he know this and was looking to create an incident ?It is hard to tell.

apparently the material has been stored there since 2013,removed from a ship precisely because it was dangerous, so it was no secret.

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Anyone with that knowledge should have ordered an immediate evacuation with a fire nearby.

Or better, never have stored this is a populated port.

1 Like Save    
Cookie8

Israel is always in the frame with Lebanon. It is way too early to make any accusations. Iran, Syria, Russia are all allies with Hezbollah. Officials better be careful with making accusations because Netanyahu already "incriminated" himself to the public so a lot of eyes will look to Israel. I do believe it was an unfortunate accident though. It was way too much to just make a statement that I can't believe this was an intentional act, even by Netanyahu standards.

Many countries improperly store waste and hazardous material. It is so grossly accepted that I hope officials actually start regulating this. Hahaha, sure day dreamer.

Save    
HU-274840647

The government of Lebanon is not the only corrupt government but corrupt it is and here we see a result, remember also that the country has sanctions appled by us, so I don’t see an easy way out of a mess that just got worse.

Save    
HU-274840647

The people in charge of storing this stuff, Customs officials apparently asked for it to be removed by shipping it out destroying it or selling it and here is the bingo winner I think. Money and corruption go together like Al and Capone.

Save    
HU-274840647

Explosions in Iraq now, coincidence?

Save    
jmm1837

From what I understand, this started with a fire caused by welders working nearby. Firemen were there trying to put out the blaze when the warehouse caught fire. The whole thing blew up and the firemen were caught in the blast. They're looking for the bodies. So, it doesn't sound to me like Israel was involved.

Save    
lurker111

I'm getting conflicting reports.

This is in the UAE.

https://twitter.com/KarluskaP/status/1291068080077111299

Save    
HU-274840647

There has to be a connection, if this is a coordinated effort it is too sophisticated for isis or al Queda so the the plot thickens.

Save    
lurker111

There is another one in Saudi and a forest fire in France.

Save    
Bookwoman(7a PA)

The comments on the French fire thread are a hoot. Chemtrails, the Book of Revelation (invariably misspelled with an 's' on the end) and QAnon conspiracy theories. Sometimes a fire is just a fire.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Wuhan (lightning?)

https://twitter.com/aricchen/status/1290380591985315840

Another in North Korea.

Save    
Marigold

I saw an IV with the Chief of Staff, and he certainly was not dismissive of the idea that it could have been an attack. He was a bit cagey, so perhaps that was just validating what the Pres said, but I sure hope it was a tragic accident.

Save    
lurker111

lol How sad. :^)

Save    
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More