SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_676200374

Matching (up to 90%) of existing hardwood floor possible?

HU-676200374
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am closing an house soon and is considering to replace existing carpet to hardwood. Due to the time we have in current residence, we will need to move into the place within a few weeks of closing. One dilemma I have is the transition from carpet to existing hardwood floor between the dining room and kitchen. The existing hardwood floor is oak (red oak?) at 2 1/4" strip in the kitchen area/dinette (refinished in 2003 but in good shape, original with the house for 35 years), and I want to change the carpet in the dinning room to the same oak. I know there was discussion in the past and I know it wouldn't be 100% matched if I just install prefinished hardwood (even 2 1/4" strip with similar stain and same oak species), but wondering how good of a job it can be done (selection of new floors, design ideas etc) if I want to go this route. I know another approach is to install unfinished floor and maybe "weave" in between the old ones followed by on-site finish/refinish, but for personal reasons I probably won't do that. I would be grateful to hear any idea/suggestion you may have (is it OK to just pick one floor that is similar enough since there is a "door frame" between kitchen and dinning room). Please see pictures below showing the transition between kitchen and dinning room.

A less critical issue (?) is that its living room and family room which also have carpet. Since they are sunken room (one step down from neighboring area) I am thinking that the difference wouldn't be noticeable as long as I use similar strip width and same species/same stain, but would love to hear any thought as well.

Comments (2)