SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela_w9243

What Knot to Do - How to Balance and Update w/ Knotty Pine EVERYWHERE!

Angela W
3 years ago

We are about to extensively update a 1970s ski cabin fixer. I'd like to keep the ceiling's knotty pine, but need to get rid of some of it - it's everywhere! Would love your design ideas to make this an updated "rustic modern" living space. (PS the emerald green carpet throughout is going away. We're thinking of European oak 7 1/2' planks in the living space...also the fireplace will become gas and have a new surround - ideas welcome for this too - want to put a tv over the fireplace so probably need a concrete mantle, and I'd also like a hearth to sit at it)

There's wall of windows 22' high. I'm thinking about updating the trim around these windows with something very dark stained for some contrast, then using the same dark stain for the ceiling and beams in the kitchen across from this window wall. It's also been recommended to drywall over the walls until the trim at the ceiling, and introduce a lightly painted room (perhaps a warm white or greige). Also, how do we improve the existing pine? Currently there're smoke stains from the fireplace on it, as well as water stains from a roof leak (has since been re-roofed). Do you have it sanded and then restained? I think we'd like it more matte than glossy.

Would love to be inspired by your feedback. Thank you!

Comments (50)

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I'd keep the ceiling and trim wood, but paint all the walls a warm white. Whether that means paint or wallboard should be decided on with your painter. Especially since you want wood floors, you need the white walls to break up all the wood. I would leave the trim and ceiling the color it is, but use a lighter, almost natural finish for the floors.

Long Dune Lane, Truro · More Info

Angela W thanked calidesign
  • felizlady
    3 years ago

I’m not sure that replacing the carpet with an additional type of wood (flooring) will give you the kind of change you want.
    Your wood furniture is the same color as the pine, too. Even if you bring in large area rugs to help cover the floor, you will still have wood overload. I would consider painting the walls a nice warm white but leaving the ceiling and window trim in the pine. That will reduce the amount of natural/stained wood. Add some light-colored furniture pieces on the deck, and replace the deep green carpet with a green which you see outside...a softer lighter pine green or sage green. If the flooring under the carpet is in good condition, large area rugs may help.

Angela W thanked felizlady
  • Related Discussions

help! how do i paint over polyurethaned knotty pine ?

Q

Comments (51)
    Hello, we have a small sunroom ( western side of the house) has knotty pine wood on the walls, ceiling and up into the cut out Skylight areas. The area up in the sky light reflected drip like black water marks on it so we decided to paint the ceiling (had the skylights replaced three months ago and we know the Knotty Pine is in fine shape otherwise). We decided to paint the ceiling, including up in the recessed sky light areas. started with the Bin primer, put two coats, then started to see an Amber-colored film coming through. Unfortunately the painter then added two coats of a latex paint. The amber color is still coming through. I'm wondering if it's old sap that which from the heat of the sun coming through the skylights. Suggestions on how I tackle this project at this point considering we have two layers of den and two layers of latex paint and the amber color is coming through just like we simply did a white wash.
    ...See More

Knotty Pine Built-ins and Fireplace Need Update

Q

Comments (2)
    I agree with the comments above. Right now, ALL of your elements in the room are the same brown/red - floor, walls, fireplace, rug, furniture. Personally, I would paint the paneling. But if you like it and want to keep it, consider painting your bookcases a warm white or cream, and using a much larger light colored rug in the room. A larger, brighter, horizontal piece of art would be better over the fireplace. I don't mind the screen or the hearth which both blend well with your brick.
    ...See More

How to update flooring with dark knotty pine walls and ceiling

Q

Comments (7)
    The most inexpensive would be to paint the ceiling and beams white.I think it would certainly brighten up the kitchen. Then you can do harwood floors that blend, not exactly match the walls. IMHO I would paint all the wood. Sometimes for me, it works, like in a log home for instance. If you want to leave all the wood, how about luxury vinyl tiles for the floor, with a nice area rug.
    ...See More

Knotty Pine needs an update

Q

Comments (12)
    Blue will bring out the orange tones in the wood, so I wouldn't choose blue paint. To me the accent wall doesn't look that bad. The half wall paneling on the other walls is not great. Does the pine fit with the style of the house, or is it just a relic from the '70's? Pine is difficult to paint because of the knots. If you do paint it be sure to use an appropriate primer. I know my DH would take it all down, but then you have to repair the walls. If it was glued on instead of nailed that's even worse. If you decide to paint, I would paint all four walls the same color. I like the wall color you already have, but if you want to change it up you need to give us a better idea of what the floors and furniture look like before we can offer suggestions. You say you have pine floors but this room looks like it's carpeted. Is the carpet staying?
    ...See More
  • Jean
    3 years ago

Agree with both felizlady and calidesign, warm white on the walls would greatly help, plus your furniture adds to the wood overload since it is the same color as the current walls and ceiling.

Mockups for you

Warm white walls, also I grey washed the fireplace stone to lighten it up a bit.

Dark stain on the window trim.

Grey carpet/floor color

Hope that helps!

Angela W thanked Jean
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

I am pretty sure I love your fireplace and would not change a thing about it. Can you get another picture? And what a fantastic place!!! I would emphasize the rustic charm by whitewashing the walls, and consider installing a high-end stone or slate look vinyl tile on the floor. Or if you don’t care for that, the wood floors sound nice. Keep the ceiling and trim the same. Will you be renting this out, or keeping it for your own use? If it’s a ski rental, you need an easy care floor that stands up to snow and gear. Love the windows!!!

Angela W thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • RedRyder
    3 years ago

Good suggestions to paint the walls white, remove the carpet and think about how to change/cover some of your “matching ” wood furniture (such as a table cloth on your table). Light wood flooring might off-set the medium color of the ceiling and window trim.

Angela W thanked RedRyder
  • Angela W
    Original Author
    3 years ago

All great suggestions - thank you! I love seeing the lighter walls and the flooring suggestions. The furniture came with the house and once we take the space to demo for the updates, we will be donating it or repurposing to another area of the house. Will have the opportunity to select pieces that complement the wood vs duplicate it everywhere! If there're more suggestions, keep 'em coming. I will post a photo once we complete the facelift.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. Embrace and enjoy it.

Angela W thanked suezbell
  • Claire Miller
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Im not opposed to painting the wood - I have a cabin with several all wood rooms - in the attic I painted the floor, in the living room I painted the walls white - I have a covered porch outside that makes that south facing room a cave, and I added vintage paneling to the kitchen but painted my unfitted cabinets.

In your situation, with all the light - I’d try this... Play with the wood first because you can enjoy one look for a while and change it later.

The wood painted is pretty, I wouldnt drywall. I used an oil based primer. For water damage, I plan to try a light sanding and wax-free shellac.

Angela W thanked Claire Miller
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

Since this is not really a “cabin”...i think modernizing the fireplace would work ...but...if you intend to do a MOUNTAIN SKI CABIN decor..the fireplace would be more authentic as is... perhaps just painting the stone white would remove the “old drab” feel of the natural stone...more upholstered furniture and soft comfy seating groups ...plush rugs...ottomans ...are also appealing in this kind of setting

Angela W thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

For hearth seating ...overtuffed upholstered swivel chairs are good as you can put your feet up in front of the fire ...for a cozy read....or swivel away for group activity interaction...built-in dining seating ...upholstered cushions and pillows is cozy and versatile for all meals and games-and cards in the evenings...and smaller furniture groupings work better if you are just two..or have lots of friends who may not all want to sit together on a big sectional...

Angela W thanked btydrvn
  • RedRyder
    3 years ago

I wouldn’t do built in banquette seating if mostly adults will be eating there. I find them uncomfortable and confining.
    Glad to hear you’re getting new furniture. The vinyl flooring sounds right if this is a ski house. And painting the wood is a faster, easier solution for now.

• Sandy Bank
    3 years ago

I have done many many renovations on places where materials were a little bit of an eyesore because of over use or a little bit on the hard on the eyes scenario. What I think you need to do is put things into perspective the pine makes up for most of the house so you need to find ways to use less of that colour tone when it comes to fur and kitchen. Light greys on kitchen cabinets with a different tone bench top thinking of ways to soften and add more range to The colour palette and feel of the place. In your case I would first get rid of that green carpet you could also have floorboards in a colour that is completely different to the walls and ceiling and then have many large rugs that will complement the pine. I would take all that timber furniture out that has the same tones that match the pine and go for fabric pieces to soften the look, better lighting nice brighter curtains/window coverings. Update the kitchen I think it will automatically complement and soften all the pine work, did I already mention that green carpet is doing no justice to the pine on the ceiling and walls lol

Angela W thanked Sandy Bank
  • pds290
    3 years ago

I inherited much the same, (but with ugly asbestos vinyl floor tiles instead of green carpeting). I decided to whitewash the walls, keep the ceiling wood, and put in a wood floor. I love it - so much brighter than it was before! Good luck with your lovely home!

Angela W thanked pds290
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

It looks like the ceilings in the kitchen are dark ...and the ceiling is low...this i would definitely paint white ...if you like white ..cabinets and island can also be white or a cool color like a pale sage green....of course new simpler counters are needed...i would hesitate to paint any of the knotty pine walls until you have done everything else..as it probably adds a nice warm feeling of continuity....in cold wintery weather ...the reason i like built- in dining ....in cases like yours it gives you the opportunity to save valuable floor space when you dont have float a big table and chairs as well as it is casual .....if you don’t have a big heavy table and don’t make it too long...it is cozy and you can easily add another table for bigger groups and occasions

Angela W thanked btydrvn
  • Kicksychick
    3 years ago

http://www.sarahrichardsondesign.com/get-inspired/makeovers Check out Sarah Richardson's Contemporary Chalet makeover. It reminds me of your space - lots of wood but tons of charm and potential.

Angela W thanked Kicksychick
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

Please don not put fake wood vinyl tile on the floors - it will not look good with the beautiful wood ceilings. When you have real wood in a room, it’s hard to get away with fake wood.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

You can use tile or a flooring product that looks like stone if you decide not to put in real hardwood.

Angela W thanked calidesign
  • Angela W
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the added feedback! I understand the suggestion to put in functional waterproof flooring given the snowy area, but do agree with ShadyWillowFarm regarding the conflict btw the real wood above and fake floors below. This area I think we will do a light, natural wood floor to compliment the upper ceiling wood (as suggested), and go in with rugs and furniture that is NOT wood! I'm thinking natural color wood, a soft but not yellow white, and some light accents of darker brown and black through the area. Our entryway is separate, will be tile/stone w/radiant heat in that hall, and everyone removes their shoes there! We'll give them slippers/socks and they can pad around on our real wood floors in the main area without as much worry about how the moisture and the wood floors play together :-)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

It’s going to be stunning!!

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Real wood is always the best choice.

• Ellen S
    3 years ago

Unless I missed it, I don’t think we have discussed the kitchen. Will you be replacing or painting the cabinets and island and replacing the island countertop?

I like the idea of some upholstered furniture. Some leather and metal elements would be good to have in the mix, as well.

Angela W thanked Ellen S
  • Jeanne S
    3 years ago

A light-colored tile floor would brighten the rooms and highlight the wood. Lovely house!

Angela W thanked Jeanne S
  • Jeanne S
    3 years ago

PS I would keep the beautiful wood table.

Angela W thanked Jeanne S
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO get slate for the floors I think you already have wood overload. No to the TV above that FP and if you must to do wood floors a really light wood. Then work on replacing some of all that wood furniture . No dark stain for anything. IMO the walls painte a light color will make a huge difference too. I actually ripped out some knotty pine when we renovated it trully is a difficult wood to work with and bleeds like crazy if you do not use kilz when you prime

Angela W thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Have you considered a slate or tile floor? Something to contrast with the overload of wood. I would whitewash the KP walls, leave the ceiling and trim as is and avoid any wood floors.

Angela W thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Jean
    3 years ago

A very pretty stone-look alike tile is Timeworn by Artistic tile. We put the medium gray in our master and everyone thinks its real stone when they see it.

Angela W thanked Jean
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

LVP tile is not slippery...not cold ..easiest to maintain..waterproof...easiest to install...nicer to walk on barefoot or in socks....literally care free

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

@btydrvn - my dog begs to differ re the slipperiness. But for us bipeds, it’s fine.

• Angela W
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Once again - thanks for the inputs!! So, I pulled the trigger and ordered light European oak 8" planks for the room. (Love the idea of slate / tile - was worried about the weight as this is a second level of an old house, but we will have that at entryway hallway which isn't in the photo).

We plan to put a large light area rug on the majority of the floor on the fireplace side. And, the drywallers are coming this weekend! They're taking care of the walls, except keeping the KP trimmed out areas around the big windows. Will sand and stain the KP ceiling and window trim a light perhaps light grey tinted (to remove some orange) and more matte finish. As for the kitchen question, Ellen S - what do you think? I have the cabinet design and will be placing an order hopefully in the next week. It includes removing the peninsula and coming in with a square island, extending the perimeter counters through to the dining area and ending in a bar cabinet - with beverage center, counter area and upper glass cabinet. I have an idea on tone but would love to hear yours :-)

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

This was a log home that I helped an owner furnish. The owner hated the all over "orange" when she initially saw it empty prior to purchasing it. We made a plan of rather than changing it we would make it fade into the back ground by focusing on the furniture and accessories. She says the "orange" no longer bothers her. With your wall of windows, new flooring and the right furnishings do you need to really drywall or do you think it will make such a huge difference to you that it will be worth it? I think you are taking away the houses character when you start to drywall. And as far as staining your pine, you better try samples 1st as the stain may not take as you imagined and you could end up with a bigger issue.

High End Keystone Resort Home, Close to Lake Dillon, Family Friendly - Keystone · More Info

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

following

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Tedbixby brings up a critical point. Be very careful about restaining.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

Can’t wait to see the finished product!!

• Connie Stackhouse
    3 years ago

You have a lovely place! We have a pine ceiling in our sunroom and love our light sage walls. We did large 20x20 tiles on the floor to avoid wood overload and decided to embrace the yellow in our furnishings. Good luck!

Angela W thanked Connie Stackhouse
  • windfield6896
    3 years ago

following

• Angela W
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are almost ready to reveal our update to the Knotty Pine situation at our house! Will share photos in the next few weeks :-)

• Chrissy Olson
    2 years ago

Follow

• Sarah
    2 years ago

Oh I can’t wait for the after pics to see what you’ve done!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Me too.

• Phoebe Sackett
    2 years ago

Follow

• bjrober
    2 years ago

Following!

• husterd
    2 years ago

Can’t wait to see the reveal:) So many interesting ideas.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

What a fabulous place!! The pine is not the problem…the very green carpet is. Change the carpeting and add some fabric panels for window accents (I think I see roll-up shades…hopefully they provide privacy at night when the shades are down). I would consider a lighter pine green carpet in that setting. You don’t want to add tan or brown with all the pine. Bring a dozen green color chip cards from the paint store and look at them with the pine.

• Solo Hale
    2 years ago

Following

• Solo Hale
    2 years ago

L

• HU-516485277
    2 years ago

Would love to see the end result!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

@Angela W - do you have updated photos to share?

• L G
    2 years ago

Folliowing

• plf12652
    2 years ago

Following