Now They Are Trying Extortion

cait1

I guess if you support BLM you also support their mafia tactics and their attempt at extortion.

Members of Louisville's Cuban community plan to gather Sunday in support of a NuLu restaurant owner who says he was threatened by Black Lives Matter protesters during a recent demonstration.

Fernando Martinez, a partner of the Olé Restaurant Group, was one of dozens of business owners in the downtown Louisville district who recently received a letter from protesters laying out demands that aim to improve diversity in the area, which is known for its locally-owned shops and restaurants.

Martinez has publicly denounced the demands on Facebook, calling them "mafia tactics" used to intimidate business owners. And on Thursday, a small group of protesters confronted him outside his newest restaurant, La Bodeguita de Mima, on East Market Street....

The demands and an attached contract, which were created by local [BLM] organizers and activists, ask NuLu business owners to:

Purchase a minimum of 23% inventory from Black retailers or make a recurring monthly donation of 1.5% of net sales to a local Black nonprofit or organization;

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2020/08/01/louisville-cuban-community-rally-support-la-bodeguita-de-mima/5562669002/

The hubris of BLM adherents believing anyone owes them anything. They've proven time and time again to be an organization of thugs who will break windows, loot businesses and assault business owners. I don't support such an organization. I support Americans who work hard for what they have.

So who will you support? The entrepreneurial immigrants or the BLM extortionists? I know, tough question for some.

SaveComment57Like1
Comments (57)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paprikash

Sounds like “protection”. Sounds like extortion. Sounds like a crime. Sounds like something the liberals will think is just fine. In reality, it’s stomach churning

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

Was it a demand or a request to support BLM? Extortion is illegal. Someone is making a big deal out of nothing. Racists always think they are being forced to do something even if it is just a request especially if it means they have to open their minds.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

We’ve had several discussions about what the BLM “organization” is. It’s kinda not. Which is why I object to the commingling of the positive phrase with the patchwork of people/groups speaking/acting under the name. No control of the message. Black lives do matter but I’d never express support for BLM because who knows what that might be.

4 Likes Save    
studio10001

And here I thought pap would surely say, " let's wait and hear the rest of the story'.

Here is part of it, any way:

Ahamara Brewster, who belongs to Revolutionary Black Panther Party, also denounced the approach.

'You're attacking a Black-brown establishment, but you're in the name of Black Lives Matter? Wait a minute, something's weird about this,' she said.

The BLM protesters in Louisville say the list was not a set of demands but that they want to start a conversation with local business.

6 Likes Save    
studio10001

I can't paste the item, but the list of things is prefaced by this:

We are here today to demand representation over tokenism. ( Pretty sure this is the demand in general, every day)

Assist the collective in achieving equity and inclusion by signing the agreeing to meet the following demands enlisted below. ( call for an assist from businesses in getting that representation. Sloppily done.)

edt.

Save    
studio10001

Their 'extortion' is as follows:

Repercussion for non compliance:

reduction in racial index score

social media blast

boycott

protest

invasive reclamation

You can read the form here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8587881/Cuban-business-owner-Louisville-decries-BLMs-mafia-tactics.htm

Outside of the reclamation ( they may have a bit of trouble with that), the rest isn't exactly pot boiler. As to the belligerant loudmouth that verbally threatened an owner, he seems to stand for himself, at the moment - unless someone knows him to also be the author?

Save    
lurker111

What on earth is a racial index score? Are you joking?

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Evidence that BLM members "break windows, loot businesses and assault business owners"?

I think you are confusing BLM members with rioters who sometimes show up at BLM protests.

The "rioters" are NOT BLM members.

Kate

4 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Lurker, I was just trying to look that up. The actual item on the list of "Repercussions of Non-Compliance" says:

Reduction in racial index/bias score to the Better Business Bureau

I went to the BBB national site, and also looked specifically at Louisville; I see no such rating. If pressed, the lunatics who wrote this might say they intend to file complaints against the business, and I suppose if the business didn't address those, they could be counted as unanswered or unresolved complaints, which could affect the business rating (?)

Maybe they think it sounds official enough to intimidate business owners into thinking there really is a Better Business Bureau racial index/bias score.
https://www.bbb.org/overview-of-bbb-ratings

Or maybe somebody else can find it for me.

1 Like Save    
studio10001

As I said, not pot boiler - and certainly not extortion.

Save    
lurker111

Introducing the Racial Equity Index | NEA - National Equity Atlas

Jul 23, 2020 -

New propaganda from a crazy .org group.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

The "rioters" are NOT BLM members.

Please define “BLM member.”

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

The BLM protesters in Louisville say the list was not a set of demands but that they want to start a conversation with local business.

————

Oh, I see, it’s just conversation. Okaaaay

4 Likes Save    
mudhouse

This looks to be the website of the group that made the demands:

https://www.bossworld.net/nulu-social-justice

It stands for Blacks Organizing Strategic Success. Businesses are given a grade based on how many demands they meet, in their Social Justice Rating System. "Ally," "Complicit," or "Failed."

It says "We're holding Louisville businesses accountable, and we're starting in Nulu. We will give businesses the standard 25-30 days to remedy any violation. We will offer them a realistic opportunity & resources to raise their grade."

The site shows the current grades assigned to local businesses.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

"I'd like you to do us a favour though."

Save    
lurker111

Sounds like a threat. Too bad, they have zero credibility.

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

I went to the BLM website, and looked at a petition w a list of demands - I wonder if the authors of the doc in Louisville were attempting to model that format? Whatever they were thinking, they haven't helped themselves much, and I hope someone makes it right w the Cuban community there.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Right; the document shown in all the articles I can find clearly says Demands at the top. (This isn't the entire list.)

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

From the Daily Mail article Studio linked to above (thanks for that):

I agree with you Studio, I don't think the creators of this effort have helped themselves with the community.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Do we really want to start making laws based on race? That goes against the constitution.

1 Like Save    
studio10001

It is the wording ahead of that that made it seem as though they were ( ?) requesting help with their demands. An awkward document at best, bullying in tone at worst, but a conversation stopper, rather than starter, if ever there was one.

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

Thanks for the grab, mud, I could not get that to copy for some reason.

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (She/Her)(8a)

It reads like a scam: “give me your credit card number so I can make sure no one is scamming you...”

On first read through I couldn’t believe it was anything but a false flag attack.

I remember a similar tactic (similar to the above list of demands, not similar to a false flag) used to combat gentrification in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. That effort was not specific to Black Lives Matter.

I certainly feel for families who have been displaced after decades of living in an area. It must be heartbreaking to lose the sense of familiarity of Home.

Save    
moosemac(Z5 NH / Z3-4 ME)

It may or may not meet the legal definition of extortion but when you make "demands" and then list "Repercussions of Non-Compliance. Failure to accept and adhere to this contract will result in the following measures: " Reduction in racial index score, social media blast of non-compliance, public boycott, visible protests at establishment, invasive reclamation.

I sure sounds like extortion to me.

If it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck....

4 Likes Save    

I agree that it does sound like extortion. Threats are made in order to obtain something of value.

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

Boy, I don't agree. This is barely standing, much less waddling anywhere!

When you post to yelp, are you extorting businesses? Every business knows that is the risk of giving bad service, so....? ( And by announcing it, the authors guarantee great reviews for every business they name, in return.)

Boycotting is extortion? Please tell Chik Fill A - they would love to win that lawsuit.

How about protest? Constitutionally protected extortion??

Last and least, their private score card labels a business as unfriendly to blacks, and.....nope, still not extortion.

If that were their aim, it was the dumbest of all ways to go about it. I think the same holds true for whatever they thought could be a positive result for themselves or BLM. Bad mojo all round.

edt.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"So who will you support? The entrepreneurial immigrants or the BLM extortionists? I know, tough question for some."

Not a tough question for me.

PS: BLM is a phrase. It is also used by some to name their local group. It's complicated if you want it to be.

Save    
mudhouse

Thanks for the grab, mud, I could not get that to copy for some reason.

Me neither; I had to use the Windows Snipping Tool to make an image (if that helps in the future.)

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

So Kathy, that racist Mexican restuarant is just a troublemaker?

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I don't know if it meets the legal requirements for extortion, but it seems possible, if a business could demonstrate that their refusal to comply with the demands caused damage to their business. That might be possible if the protesters staged sit-ins blocking access, set up tables outside selling the same products, and launched a serious social media campaign with unsubstantiated slander of the business.

Virtually all extortion statutes require that a threat must be made to the person or property of the victim. Threats to harm the victim's friends or relatives may also be included. It is not necessary for a threat to involve physical injury. It may be sufficient to threaten to accuse another person of a crime or to expose a secret that would result in public embarrassment or ridicule. The threat does not have to relate to an unlawful act.

Other types of threats sufficient to constitute extortion include those to harm the victim's business and those to either testify against the victim or withhold testimony necessary to his or her defense or claim in an administrative proceeding or a lawsuit. Many statutes also provide that any threat to harm another person in his or her career or reputation is extortion.

https://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/extortion.html

Another factor might be that many businesses (especially restaurants) are on the verge of closing due to loss of business from the Covid19 closures. A good attorney might be able to make the case that the threats from the BOSS group were the final factor that resulted in the business closing. Just saying it seems possible.

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

Hey, it certainly does! ( Hello, my name is Studio and I am a Ludddite...)

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

I doubt that the boss group is anything more than a couple of kids on their computers. Could be an al group.

Save    
Kathy

It certainly doesn’t make BLM look good. There is though another side to gentrification of areas. The people who live in those areas and are getting by on a shoestring are sometimes the victims of the cheap homes and properties and then are run out of an area they could only afford instead of trying to raise the standard of living of the people there they become the victims of wealthier investors taking advantage. I’d guess there are other animosities behind these demands. A lot of anger is being demonstrated and it would be best for all if they were able to work it out peacefully.

Save    

Is there a requirement for detrimental effects in order to establish extortion? Must the threat be carried out?

My understanding (very rudimentary) is that the threat itself is the extortion, not the action that is being threatened. As soon as one demands something of value and threatens harm if the thing of value is not given, that is extortion isn’t it?

Save    
Stan Areted

For a charge of extortion, certain essential elements must be met--not a general "requirement for detrimental effects."

States can differ in their elements for an act or acts to constitute extortion.

There are several statutes under the United States Code for extortion--federal crimes.

Here you go:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I/chapter-41

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Is there a requirement for detrimental effects in order to establish extortion? Must the threat be carried out?

My legal knowledge is limited to internet searches (buyer beware, lol!) but it sounds like it depends on how the law is written, in different places.

Statutes governing extortion by private persons vary in content. Many hold that a threat accompanied by the intent to acquire the victim's property is sufficient to establish the crime; others require that the property must actually be acquired as a result of the threat.

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/extortion

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Cross posted with you, Stan!

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Seems like the usual mountaining of a molehill to allow certain folks to express their misplaced outrage yet again...

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

Miss Lindsey, my understanding is that the threat needs to be one that endangers the business unless specific property is given over to the group making the demand. That is not the case here. They want a percentage of business given to black vendors, not themselves.

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

This sure looks like a gift to the Trump campaign and white supremacy, I wonder if the Daily Mail is a trusted neutral source?

Save    
studio10001

Right leaning tabloid.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

The problem for me is there are groups misrepresenting themselves to blame BLM and discredit them. I would have to know a lot more details before I would blame the whole BLM Movement.

1 Like Save    
studio10001

This story mostly exists there and at extreme right leaning sources at present. Its a weird story, but not much more. The most enjoyable part for me was the scroll background they wrote the demands on - very professional looking, don't you think? :)

1 Like Save    
studio10001

Rick Murphy, head of the Nulu Business Asscociation, has asked that the group speak w the board, who have no idea who the group is. Patient guy.

Save    
elvis

studio10001

This story mostly exists there and at extreme right leaning sources at present.

The OP story/link is from the Louisville Courier-Journal, rated thus:

LEFT-CENTER BIAS

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.

2 Likes Save    
deegw

I love it when the Trump fans suddenly remember how to use search engines.

3 Likes Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

"Do we really want to start making laws based on race? " Start? Bwahahahaha.

Save    
lurker111

You're right. We have too many as it is.

Save    
moosemac(Z5 NH / Z3-4 ME)

I agree that threats of boycotting and postings are a cost of doing business but the threat of "physical reclamation" is another story. Everyone is entitled to express their opinion but the minute a threat is made to person or property, that steps over the line.

If the story is factual, I don't think threats are a positive approach to an issue.

3 Likes Save    
studio10001

Pretty sure it is factual. There is local TV reporting of it, as well as the response from the business association.

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

“Do we really want to make laws based on race?That goes against the constitution.”

This is guffaw worthy.

Who wrote that constitution and who did they write it for?

Save    
elvis

If anyone sees an update to this story, please do post about it, thanks.

3 Likes Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

I find giving credibility to an organization that has a convicted bomber/terrorist on their board of a fundraising arm a little difficult.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/blm-terrorist-rosenberg/

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"If anyone sees an update to this story, please do post about it, thanks."

I've been looking. I read that the residents themselves are shocked by the lack of interest being shown in this story. The MSM will eventually have to report on this, but it's obviously not something the MSM is eager to share with Americans.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Yes, I have no trouble believing that. I have to wonder if they might honestly believe that anything that doesn't fit their chosen narrative is just an anamoly. The alternative is very, very troubling.

2 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

The president is demonstrating a severe distancing from reality in several interviews and speeches lately, but you find THIS troubling?

Save    
katrina_ellen

Sounds like organized crime - thanks dems.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Color 9 Fun Ceiling Colors to Try Right Now
Go bold overhead for a touch of intimacy or a punch of energy
Full Story
Color Beyond Greige: 8 Sophisticated Paint Colors to Try Now
Ready for a shade that doesn’t rhyme with beige? Try one of these rich hues for your next room makeover
Full Story
Living Rooms Trending Now: 10 Great Living Room Color Combos to Try
These recent popular photos show examples of color combos that exude comfort and style
Full Story