SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phaewryn

How to start viola seeds, what to plant with them to fill between?

I'm aiming to kill all the grass and grassy weeds and grow a groundcover lawn instead. To this end, I purchased several packets of fancy viola seeds and I plan to replace my grassy/weedy lawn with them (and some other groundcovers). When and how is the best way to start viola seeds to maximize their potential? Should I start them in a seed flat and then transplant them after they have gotten started, or can they be successfully directly sown in the lawn? I'm in Southern Vermont (5A), and perfectly OK with waiting until next spring if that's better at this point. Will they do better with less competition, or will they choke out the grass and other weeds on their own? I am on a slope so can't do major tilling or the soil will erode away if it rains. Should I resist the urge to Round-up the entire lawn and just break up the soil some around where I plant the violas? Maybe there is a HERBICIDE THAT ONLY KILLS GRASS and not broadleafs/wildflowers (if so, please tell me what it's called, I found articles saying this stuff exists but no brands/links, and most do the opposite, killing the stuff I'd be more likely to want to save and not the grass I hate)?

What else would do well planted with/between the violas to fill in between them? From what I have seen in other lawns, they like to grow in bunches. I'm thinking I need another short groundcover that can tolerate the blazing afternoon/evening to fill in between the violas. It's too much sun for ajuga and mazus (tried them both, not working, yellowing/browning and dying in sun/heat despite daily watering). It needs to stay short (ideally shorter than or same height as the violas) or grow slower than the violas and be mowable (and look decent when mowed). I don't want any grass of any kind. I do not want sedum of any kind (I hate the way it feels when you walk on it). Whatever it is needs to be something that doesn't have woody stems, thorns, spikey leaves, or other foot-stabbers. The yard gets filtered morning sun, then is shaded by the house from 10AM-1:30PM, then it gets full late afternoon/evening sun, and it's a steep west-facing hill, so it's direct sun even late in the day. Several part sun groundcovers I have tried have not fared well in the heat/sun despite it having half a day of shade, so I think I need full sun capable suggestions that will fill in between the violas and be walkable (bonus if the foliage is deep green and any flowers are blue, purple, lavender, and it can't be periwinkle/vinca which is very invasive here). Will creeping thyme play nicely with violas? How about rockcress? Would veronica (tidal pool, liwanensis, or blue relfection, which are prone varieties that stay under 5") be able to compete with the violas to fill in between them, or should I try a higher prone veronica like georgia blue (6-8") between the violas? Maybe I just picked a bad variety of ajuja (burgundy glow) and others do better in sun? Getting ready to place a fall order to get stuff that needs to go in in the fall.

Comments (4)