SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_citrus_and_indoor_gardening

Good Fertilizer for Nagami Kumquats

Thought I'd start a forum on this, as it is my current project.
I have a Nagami Kumquat tree that has struggled with micronutrient issues since I first got it. (It was my first citrus tree and the only kumquat that I could find locally. The nursery simply told me the tree hadn't been fertilized in awhile and that it should correct with fertilizer. I didn't have the experience to ask more questions at the time.) I bought some Jobe's Organics granular fertilizer, which corrected the problem, however despite regularly receiving the Jobes Organics granular fertilizer for citrus it still shows annual nutrient deficiencies around July/August, though not as extreme (only slight lightening of the leaves as opposed to the almost yellowing it had when I got it). My other Kumquat, a Fukushu I received from Four Winds, doesn't have this issue and responds well to the Jobes organics, and though initially smaller than my Nagami, it has grown better this year, fruited, and is blooming again, despite being a much smaller and younger tree. I believe the issue I may be having is specific to the Nagami, either a rootstock issue, or something specific to that particular kumquat variety. I hesitate to switch from the Jobes, because all my other plants seem to respond to it, and the Zinc deficiency is definitely not as pronounced year over year, showing up fairly minor (you have to get pretty close to the leaves to see it, when I got it you could see it from a distance), and usually correcting in the fall. Is there another fertilizer that anyone has found works well in conjunction with the Jobes, or has someone found a good way to supplement the micronutrients that it appears to be missing? I'm also curious if anyone else has dealt with this issue, specifically, with the Nagami Kumquat. I've been experimenting with this tree to try to correct the problem for awhile.

Comments (12)