Our President really is a nice man

paprikash

No matter how the left portrays him:

Trump offers to pay for funeral of slain soldier Vanessa Guillen

By Steven Nelson

July 30, 2020 | 3:18pm | Updated

President Trump on Thursday offered to pay for the funeral of a soldier found dead after disappearing in April from Fort Hood — and said he’s paid for other funerals for troops.

Trump made the offer while hosting the family of Vanessa Guillen, who was 20, in the Oval Office. A male soldier suspected of killing Guillen near the Texas base committed suicide, the Army has said.

In response to a reporter’s question, Trump said he’s paid for other soldiers’ funerals.

“I have, I have. I have to do it personally, I can’t do it through government,” Trump said. “I have because some families need help. They need help.”

Guillen’s family declined a military funeral, and are awaiting the return of her remains, which Trump said he would help expedite.

“I don’t even know if you need help, maybe you don’t need help from a financial standpoint. I have no idea. I just think it’s a horrific thing that happened and if you did need help, I’ll be there to help you,” Trump said.

Guillen’s family encouraged passage of legislation drafted by their family’s attorney that would allow soldiers to report sexual abuse outside their chain of command.

SaveComment161Like3
Comments (161)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

Watch someone say it's a tax write-off, or that it's his fault she was murdered in the first place.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I was expecting to read about a nice gesture. But no, he just can’t help himself from being a jerk.

“I don’t even know if you need help, maybe you don’t need help from a financial standpoint. I have no idea. I just think it’s a horrific thing that happened and if you did need help, I’ll be there to help you,” Trump said.

In other words, instead of just saying he’d pay for the funeral, which WOULD have been nice, he put it on them to ask his highness for help if they need it. Yuck. He just can’t help himself. No social graces, even when he supposedly tries. PLEASE folks let’s vote this buffoon out of office!!!

12 Likes Save    
Nana H

Quite frankly, truly benevolent people do not announce or broadcast these things, they keep them private.

27 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

"offered"

5 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

What a guy. A helluva swelluva guy.

3 Likes Save    
leona_2008

Man of 20,000+ lies. Oh why, yes! Yes, sure I believe he's paid for other funerals. Also, what Nana said.

8 Likes Save    
Gizmo

Maybe too, he can pay for the funerals of 150,000+ deceased Americans he's partially responsible for their deaths due to his inaction and neglect?

14 Likes Save    
Nana H

Or maybe the dead soldiers killed by Russian financed operatives.

11 Likes Save    
blfenton

From CNN - At Fort Hood

Officials said there have been 23 deaths this year among the 36,500 soldiers at the post -- about 60 miles from Austin, Texas.

According to Fort Hood officials, the deaths include seven off-duty accidents; seven suicides; one combat-related death; four homicides, one of which was on the base; two of natural causes; one that was undetermined pending an autopsy; and one drowning.

Did he offer to pay for any of these or just the one for which he was able to arrange a photo-op in the Oval Office. I'm so sorry for what the family Vanessa Guilline is going through and I hope the investigations will formulate policies that will allow a safe way in which sexual harassment claims can be filed.

trump never does anything to be nice. And I thought I had heard this or similar "offers" from him in the past but can't find anything that showed him actually carrying through on them.

8 Likes Save    
kadefol

She was on active duty when she was murdered, so the military would pay for her funeral. The family would not have to assume any cost. The military will even transport the immediate family to the service.

11 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

Like I said, what a helluva swelluva guy.

3 Likes Save    
blfenton

My understanding is that they declined a military service.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Trump has a habit of thinking saying is doing. I will wait for him to actually do it before he gets points.

3 Likes Save    
kadefol

Even if they decline a military funeral, the military will still provide some measure of financial assistance for a civilian interment.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

This is supposed to make up for all the evil he has done?

5 Likes Save    
paprikash

Trump is not evil BUT many democrats sure are

3 Likes Save    
maifleur03

There are normally two differing things that are referred to as a military service. One is burial in a military cemetery. The other one is what used to be called Military Honors where a flag is draped on the casket, taps and or rifle salute is done, flag is removed from coffin and presented to the family. The military does or did provide transportation to where the family wished to bury the person among other things.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Nana H

Quite frankly, truly benevolent people do not announce or broadcast these things, they keep them private.

Can you name any truly benevolent celebrities (celebrity = well known persons)?

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Separating children from parents permanently is evil. Doing nothing to help citizens during a global pandemic is evil. Doing nothing for US soldiers being killed by foreign bounty hunters is evil. Unleashing a secret army on citizens is evil. Constant racist dog whistles are evil. Stealing from the citizens is evil. For starters.

21 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

No, Trump really is evil. I expect to see horns sprouting one of these days.

6 Likes Save    
deegw

All the nice men I know brag about grabbing p. And call people juvenile names on twitter.

Here is a great list of all of Trump's nice man gestures.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/the-complete-listing-so-far-atrocities-1-796#2019

8 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

Why would this even be a topic when the world, literally the WORLD, knows he's not a "nice" man? I guess you just wanted to get something started here. Must be a boring day, huh? I'll take the bait.

Big whoop! He paid for a funeral (probably not even true). What about the tens of thousands of families who had to pay for funerals because he considered the virus a hoax? No doubt many of those families were very hard-pressed to afford the end-of-life issues like cremation or whatever is chosen.

He actually is hate-filled. Hates anyone who doesn't kowtow to him and his wishes. Like Fauci.

9 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Paprikash: please read the other thread about the death of Ruth Glosser. Do you think a "nice man" would have called her nephew a liar for saying she died of Covid? But that's what the White House did. Making an offer he doesn't have to keep, vs insulting a Covid victim's family? I know what I think.

12 Likes Save    
blfenton

Can you name any truly benevolent celebrities (celebrity = well known persons)? - Elvis

Not sure why you're changing the question from Nana's point but there a lot of celebrities who quietly go about helping other people, setting up organizations to help people. IF they want to use their recognized name to raise funds and awareness, I'm all for it.

trump is not and never will be that person. I'm sure I don't have to remind you about the trump foundation boondoggle

10 Likes Save    
Nana H

Me:

"Quite frankly, truly benevolent people do not announce or broadcast these things, they keep them private."

Elvis:

"Can you name any truly benevolent celebrities (celebrity = well known persons)?"

No Elvis I can't because truly benevolent people do not announce or broadcast these things, they keep them private.

14 Likes Save    
tvq1

Touche! Good one Nana H!

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Oh, here’s another example of just how “nice” trump is: withdrew health insurance for his infant grand nephew with cerebral palsy because of a family feud. Plenty more examples here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/donald-trumps-cruel-streak/501554/

12 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

I don’t know if I would use the word “benevolent” but this sure is sweet: https://bc.ctvnews.ca/ryan-reynolds-offers-5k-reward-to-help-find-woman-s-stolen-teddy-bear-1.5039595

What a nice guy.

(She got her bear back!)

8 Likes Save     Thanked by paprikash
littleonefb(zone 5, MA)

If you believe that one, then "I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you for real cheap"

Nice men, nice presidents, nice people, nice human beings don't do any of the horrendous things that Trump has done.

Mentally ill people do those things and Trump certainly fits the definition of that in ore ways than 1.

9 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

This thread illustrates just how in la la land his supporters are.

14 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Thanks for the laugh pap.

7 Likes Save    

Can you name any truly benevolent celebrities

Chef Jose Andres. He is one awesome person - the definition of benevolent.

8 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Oh no he isn’t.

Save    
heri_cles

Jimmy Carter is a kind, gracious man who has donated much of his time to benevolent causes. Trump grabs, grabs grabs, insults and degrades others less fortunate than he is, and plays a lotta golf with his spare time.

21 Likes Save    
Kathy

I wonder if this had anything to do with the “come to Jesus” Christy and others had with Trump to make him face reality about his re-election. Would like to have been a fly on that wall.

Save    
petalique

Trump wouldn’t grasp ^^^^ that in anything more than a marketing ploy or transactional tip.

2 Likes Save    
bry911

Remember when Jimmy Carter was fined $2 million for using charity money illegally? Yeah, neither do I...

27 Likes Save    
petalique

Actor Sean Penn got informed about the Covid 19 coronavirus and has set up testing centers. Very successful. I don’t have time now to look for a link.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by paprikash
bfox254

It will take a lot more than Trump paying for a funeral for me to consider him a nice man. Nice men don't cheat on their pregnant wives.

5 Likes Save    
Iris GW

You first, lurker.

4 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"How Sean Penn Made the Biggest COVID-19 Testing Site in U.S.

In the actor and his Community Organized Relief Effort nonprofit, which has provided aid after natural disasters in Haiti and beyond, Los Angeles has found a key partner to reach maximum testing capabilities."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/how-sean-penn-made-biggest-covid-19-testing-site-us-1296885

---------------

Kate

6 Likes Save     Thanked by paprikash
elvis

Nana H

Me:

"Quite frankly, truly benevolent people do not announce or broadcast these things, they keep them private."

Elvis:

"Can you name any truly benevolent celebrities (celebrity = well known persons)?"

No Elvis I can't because truly benevolent people do not announce or broadcast these things, they keep them private.

Well, then. You don't know if what you said is true or not. If they truly kept their benevolent acts private, no one would know.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by paprikash
kadefol

Can you name any truly benevolent celebrities (celebrity = well known persons)?

This thread is not about a celebrity/well-known person, he is the freaking president of the US!! Not that he acts like it, of course.

4 Likes Save    
littleonefb(zone 5, MA)

lurker111

That was very nice of Trump. I challenge all of his haters on this forum to contact the family with the same offer. Sound good?

First off, did you ever stop to think that Trump made the offer knowing full well the family would say no? Seems to me since they refused a military funeral for their daughter that they wouldn't want any money from Trump either.

Article sort of implies that the reason they met with Trump was this:

"Guillen’s family encouraged passage of legislation drafted by their family’s attorney that would allow soldiers to report sexual abuse outside their chain of command."

As for you challenge, twisting the truth about trump not being a nice man, still doesn't make him one.

I'm still trying to figure out how many times and how many different ways Trump supporters can twist themselves into pretzel shapes to believe all this absurdity about "their guy Trump" and what he says.

6 Likes Save    
bfox254

They're grasping at straws trying to rationalize their support for Trump.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

20,000 lies and one nice almost gesture. That’s a really nice guy. Who says he isn’t lying about this too?

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

That was very nice of Trump. I challenge all of his haters on this forum to contact the family with the same offer. Sound good?

Sure. Well I’m not going to spend any more time personally seeking them out than Trump did, but they can PM me here. Of course to make it a comparable offer, we’d have to take into consideration that Trump is worth at least 1000 times more than I am. $20,000 should pay for a nice funeral, so my comparable offer is $20. But here’s where I’ll beat Trump’s offer: They only have to contact me and the money is theirs. I don’t care if they need it or not, as it has no bearing on my offer.

9 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump would pay for it with his campaign money anyways. Hasn’t he spent millions for his personal use already? At least he could give a little to charity.

2 Likes Save    

From the article at the link “that would allow soldiers:”

“"You have our support and we're working on it already, as you know," Trump said announcing his backing of the #IamVanessaGuillen Bill.

"We won't stop, and hopefully something very positive will come out in honor of your sister and your daughter," Trump said to Guillen's family.”

This, more than any amount of money, displays admirable actions. Why wasn’t this highlighted in the OP?

1 Like Save    
Kathy

I hope he actually addresses sexual harassment in the military. I have my doubts.

4 Likes Save    

As far as I’m concerned he doesn’t have to address, he just has to not stand in the way of reforms.

5 Likes Save    
Barbara Wilson

Matthew 6:3

but when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.

Nana H is right.

He is not a nice man under any circumstances

trump virus 🦠

6 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Commentators the other day said Penn has done more for testing than trump.

Trump saying he’ll pay for the funeral and that he’s paid for others—just a campaign stunt so people would turn around say “what a nice man.” This is not a man who does anything without an angle.

6 Likes Save    
Bunny

Funny

3 Likes Save    
petalique

Thanks for that link, Kate. And I agree Joanie.

Remember when he said, “punch ‘em in the nose; I’ll pay for your lawyer.”

What a horrid “HATEFUL” (<<——- for the “haters” psychological projectors here) thing to encourage. Months later, true to form, Covid-19-Trump made it clear that he would not be helping with anyone’s legal bills.

He brags that he’s such a deal maker. But he’s absent for any negotiating or deal making. We all know this — those of us not guzzling the Donnie dew Koolaid.

(Swindling isn’t deal making.)

🦠🦠😡😡😷😷 TRUMP VIRUS & Cult 🦠🦠😡😡😷😷

Wear your appropriate mask properly

Stay 6-10 feet from others

Avoid being with others in close spaces without fresh clean air exchange

Wash hands with soap & water frequently

Avoid touching face, nose, eyes, mouth

When appropriate, explore cult deprogramming. People can be helped.

4 Likes Save    

Funny thing is, when I did a web search for 'president trump pays for funeral', the only results were for this single story, and they were almost entirely @ R-wing/conservative sites.

Save    
foodonastump

Maybe the previous ones were “truly benevolent.”

😂

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Funny thing is, when I did a web search for 'president trump pays for funeral', the only results were for this single story, and they were almost entirely @ R-wing/conservative sites.

Of course. We've talked about this before. MSM doesn't report anything positive about Trump. But you knew that. Right?

2 Likes Save     Thanked by paprikash
Joaniepoanie

That’s because there’s never been anything positive to report. Ba dum dum.

9 Likes Save    

Sure - that's the most plausible explanation 😆

3 Likes Save    
AnnKH

In 1997 our city was virtually destroyed by a flood. Joan Kroc gave millions of dollars, to be given to flood victims. She insisted on anonymity, but eventually her name was leaked.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Somehow this smells of his promise to donate to veterans during the campaign and he didn't until someone in the press checked and found he never made the donation...just like we don't know if he's giving away his salary or not...

...because he won't release his tax returns!!

Show us what you got, donnie boy, and then maybe we'll find out in earnest how nice a man you are.

5 Likes Save    
5 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Dowd sure can turn a phrase...this re unwillingness to mask:

So conservatives are willing to embrace a new ethos? Give me liberty. And death.

Save    
paprikash

Conservatives? Umm there are liberals who don’t mask, too. Why the lies?

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

paprikash: Did Dowd say *all* conservatives? No.

It's not a lie. Masking is far more consistent among dems as they don't view it as a political issue the way gopers do.

94% of dems always or often wear masks...vs 46% of gop.

1% of dems never do vs 27% of gop.

ETA: 36% of gop rarely or never do vs 2% of dems.

Then the question becomes why would one want to deny what their party stands for by calling it a lie when someone accurately characterizes their party's behavior?

https://news.gallup.com/poll/315590/americans-face-mask-usage-varies-greatly-demographics.aspx

4 Likes Save    

So much weak tea these days, coming from rightward goose steppers...

Save    
Cookie8

"That was very nice of Trump. I challenge all of his haters on this forum to contact the family with the same offer. Sound good?"

I would agree it is a kind gesture to the family. But no. Trump is not a nice man.

Save    
barncatz

"We won't stop, and hopefully something very positive will come out in honor of your sister and your daughter," Trump said to Guillen's family.”

This is what Trump says when he's marketing.

Unless Barr and/or Mitch decide to actually have something positive, much less VERY positive, "come out", this prediction is like "coronavirus will disappear by Easter".

Save    
dirtygert(5-NY)

Talk is cheap. Never more true than when referencing Trump's words.

1 Like Save    
zmith

When all you got is hot air. Trump has enough hot air to fill his own balloon.

Save    
queenmargo

When all you got is hot air

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

I'm guessing Trump only did this for expectations of favorable press during the run up to election.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

I'm guessing that Trump is a much nicer man than many think he is. I think he has a hard line business approach, a bit of a bragger, but also harbors a kind gene that the left refuse to see.

4 Likes Save    
Iris GW

but also harbors a kind gene that the left refuse to see.

Wish that would apply to all the Americans dying because he didn't want to wear a mask.

Save    
paprikash

I agree QM — it’s all party first with the democrats. They try to destroy, discredit, and muzzle all who happen to have a different political viewpoint. Blaming Trump for a virus is beyond stupid.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

There’s a difference the between smart and smarta_s gene. He’s a user. If he can use you he is like a kid on his best behavior. Otherwise you are nothing to him.

Save    
Kathy

Pap everything you say applies to the Republicans. It is uncanny how much is projection.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

TDS alive and well and poisoning souls!

4 Likes Save     Thanked by paprikash
foodonastump

I'm guessing that Trump is a much nicer man than many think he is. I think he has a hard line business approach, a bit of a bragger, but also harbors a kind gene that the left refuse to see.

LOL we’re “refusing to see” qualities that Margo “guesses” he has! Classic.

5 Likes Save    
Cookie8

"I'm guessing that Trump is a much nicer man than many think he is. I think he has a hard line business approach, a bit of a bragger, but also harbors a kind gene that the left refuse to see."

A man as vindictive as him cannot be a nice man.

I guess with all the people who he screwed over by not paying them (for work they did for him) he can make amends by these gestures?

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

OMG Kathy- no one uses people like the Clinton's. Did you support them?

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

LOL we’re “refusing to see” qualities that Margo “guesses” he has! Classic.

Food- show me a post where someone here on the left has given Trump a kind word?

This was the comment before mine. I was guessing back in response to Iris. Keep up!

IIris GW

I'm guessing Trump only did this for expectations of favorable press during the run up to election.

Edit|Delete

queenmargo

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

If you think Clinton’s were bad how can you support Trump? He had a reputation long before he was elected?

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Kathy- you trash Trump- I will show you your trash back, to show your hypocrisy!

Save    
deegw

Seems like the righties all had a relaxing morning watching their church services. Yikes.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Lol. Nothin can match Trump’s trash. He got the best and biggest trash in the world. He will tell you that.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

They try to destroy, discredit, and muzzle all who happen to have a different political viewpoint.

No...it's to stop and block all the damaging and dangerous things that trump is doing and not doing that is destroying our country. The trumplicans have been refusing to listen to our warnings and look where their support of this man has gotten us:

• worst unemployment rate since before the great depression
  • steepest decline in GDP ever
  • 150,000 dead Americans with more to come
  • federal forces marching in the streets gassing and arresting people for exercising their 1st amendment rights including members of the press
  • a president who refuses to do anything to block our enemies who are out to destroy America, interfering in our election and even putting a bounty on US soldiers' heads
  • an executive branch and justice department that is being run like a crime family out to punish those disloyal to the don and spring those felons who support him
  • a president who flouts the law at every turn, using corruption to enrich himself, refusing to respect the system of check and balances built into the Constitution, arguing *in court* that no law can touch him nor should he even ever be investigated...like he's a king, not a citizen

This goes far beyond a difference in policy choices between dems and gop. This is fighting for the very soul of our democracy and the Constitution which guarantees our most precious rights. This is fighting authoritarianism. And our country is worth the fight.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Food- show me a post where someone here on the left has given Trump a kind word?

I know I have on a rare occasion. Not about to try to search any up now, but I have. Early on in his presidency I pledged to give credit when credit is due. Not my fault that so little is due. As for him being a nice guy, I’m sure he’d appreciate you being his Tilly Teabag but I’ll just judge him on what he shows me.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Blaming Trump for a virus is beyond stupid.

Yes it would be if that's what was happening, but it's not. No one is blaming trump for the virus.

trump is being blamed for his response to the virus...or lack thereof. He's being blamed for being unprepared, for dismantling the safeguards put in place by obama, for not delivering a simple consistent message like, "wear a mask" that would've saved thousands of lives, for lying to the American people about the severity of the pandemic and trying to squelch testing as it doesn't make him look good, and for not even just appointing someone competent to run the show and then just stepping aside and letting them do it, and so much more.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

The problem is the RW take criticism of Trump as personal insults. Is it because they identify with him? Their objectivity is so skewed they think it reflects on them. Uhmmm...

3 Likes Save    
bry911

Trump is not a nice guy. Trump is a real estate developer who uses a somewhat standard model of leveraged risk mitigation. When used properly it can protect developers and owners from catastrophic losses, but inherent in the business model is an exploitation open for people with a certain "moral flexibility."

I could go into the model I have explained it many times in classes and forums, but it basically sets up shell companies whose only asset is a contract from a different trump LLC. When that LLC refuses to pay contractors or other workers, there is nothing for the aggrieved parties to attach to. The companies they contracted with have no real assets and no way to pierce the liability shield of parent LLC's.

Trump is not the only property developer doing this, every town will have a property developer who uses a similar model, however, Trump has taken it to the extreme. I would bet that Trump has thousands of non-disclosure agreements floating around where he settled non-payment actions for pennies on the dollar. I will give him credit for cultivating a brand while doing it.

If there were a movie about Trump's business dealings, he would be a robber baron. He is the guy who makes someone a good deal and then takes their land or labor and refuses to pay. If this were a western movie Clint Eastwood would have rolled into town and killed Trump and all his cronies in a bloody finale.

I accept the argument that these are arm's length transactions and it is not Trump's responsibility to ensure that the people he signs deals with spend many thousand dollars on attorneys in order to protect themselves. They chose to sign the contract without doing their due diligence to fully understand their risk. However, let's not pretend that Trump is a nice guy because he has done a few nice things. I feel absolutely sure that Trump has never done a nice thing for someone without publicizing it.

7 Likes Save    
Nana H

"Blaming Trump for a virus is beyond stupid."

Nobody is blaming Trump for the virus...that really would be stupid. \

What he is being criticized for his total ineptitude in handling the crisis, his lack of leadership, his lack of compassion for the death and suffering of thousands and thousands, the misinformation aka lies and his total disregard for the health and well being of the people he took an oath to protect.

Not demanding true leadership from a sitting President during a time of national crisis is beyond stupid.

4 Likes Save    

Those of you who think he is "nice" should read the Mary Trump book.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

What he is being criticized for his total ineptitude in handling the
crisis, his lack of leadership, his lack of compassion for the death and
suffering of thousands and thousands, the misinformation aka lies and
his total disregard for the health and well being of the people he took
an oath to protect.

lol! Yeah, riiiight. That's pretty far out there.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Ha! No thanks; I've seen Mary Trump's interviews.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump follows his pattern with his voters and with all his appointees. He gives them a good deal then he pulls out the rug when he doesn’t need them anymore. It’s a pattern. Wait for it.

Save    
mudhouse

In other words, instead of just saying he’d pay for the funeral, which WOULD have been nice, he put it on them to ask his highness for help if they need it. Yuck. He just can’t help himself.

foodonastump, I had a completely different take, even before reading your comment. This family has been through hell (it was a horrific murder.) In Trump's shoes, I wouldn't assume that the family would want to accept any kind of gesture from anyone associated with the military or the government. They declined a military funeral for their daughter. I read his statement as being aware that it could even be potentially insulting to assume that they needed the assistance, or would even want to take it, if offered. I don't expect eloquence from Trump, and I took it to mean there was no wrong response; but he was willing to help if he could.

Having been through a family funeral last year, it's fresh in my mind that there are few things as personal to a family as a funeral. No doubt that's affecting my interpretation of Trump's offer. I see nothing wrong with it at all. I thought it was being respectful in recognizing that what they wanted mattered the most.

The question of whether or not it was sincere comes down to the question of preexisting beliefs about Trump's character. Nothing any of us can type out here will make a dent in budging those beliefs on either side, so no point (for me) in going there.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by paprikash
Iris GW

I had hopes that he would do an Infrastructure package when he was first elected. Democrats were anxious to partner with him to create more jobs and get some things fixed. I don't know why he didn't realize it would look good for him to do that.

Save    
queenmargo

Nothing any of us can type out here will make a dent in budging those beliefs on either side, so no point in going there.

I felt the same way mudhouse. That is why I didn't bother. AND, you know if he just offered without saying that, the left would have criticized him for assuming that they needed help. They say and do everything opposite of Trump no matter what.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by paprikash
queenmargo

The next 3 months the left are going to double down on their hate. Things are really going to get ugly. They have not brought out their backup fangs yet!

4 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

...or any of the dozen + books about the donald, except the ones he "wrote".

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

Exactly, Margo. The mandatory narrative is that everything Trump does is for evil purposes. Those who don't want to see him reelected won't stray from that narrative, no matter what. There's a lot I don't know, but I do know that!

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

As for him being a nice guy, I’m sure he’d appreciate you being his Tilly Teabag but I’ll just judge him on what he shows me.

Speaking of Tilly.... wonder where she is?

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

^^^ Maybe she ran out of mulligans.

Save    
Iris GW

At this point, all Democrats have to do is point out:

- what he's done (America is no longer considered the leader of the world, for example)

- what he hasn't done (lead a competent response to the virus, resulting in thousands of American deaths, a tanked economy, millions of people out of jobs and healthcare, and kids not going to school; plus all the promises he didn't fulfill like American healthcare improvements; increased national debt thanks to tax cuts for the wealthy)

- what he's said (awful, 5th grader, bully things)

Trump is running on his record and Dems would do best to just bring that up. His record is the narrative.

Save    
queenmargo

^^^ Maybe she ran out of mulligans.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

His latest promise on healthcare will be broken tonight, it seems. It isn't nice to repeat promises that won't be kept.

Save    
deegw

It looks like we might be headed into another "ignore the forest fire, nitpick about the species of the trees" tangent.

Look at the totality of Trump's actions and behaviors over the past 30+ years. He has walked away from tremendous debts, lied repeatedly, cheated on his wives, publicly bullied and name called, publicly mocked a disabled man, misused charity money, ad nauseum.

He is NOT a nice man.

Save    
queenmargo

He is NOT a nice man.

1 Like Save    
deegw

Ignore the facts, mock with a cruelly photoshopped photo. If that's all you got, that's all you got.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Save    
mudhouse

It looks like we might be headed into another "ignore the forest fire, nitpick about the species of the trees" tangent.

deegw, I was just thinking that we were heading into using a thread about an offer to the family of a murdered military member as a vehicle to denigrate Trump about Covid19, infrastructure, charity money, and business dealings. But I suppose the (horrifying!) OP title opened the door.

It must be an election year.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I wouldn't assume that the family would want to accept any kind of gesture from anyoneassociated with the military or the government.

Agreed, but it doesn’t change my assessment of his offer. Nothing needed to be forced on them. “I’d like to pay for the funeral” could be graciously declined, but “Let me know if you need help and I’ll pay” puts them in an awkward position of having to justify (if only to themselves) and acknowledge (as implied in the offer) a need.

Save    
queenmargo

Agreed, but it doesn’t change my assessment of his offer.

Nothing any of us can type out here will make a dent in budging those beliefs on either side, so no point (for me) in going there.

Food, just re-affirmed mudhouse;)

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

His "offer" put the burden on the grieving family. While they were meeting, he could have had one of his staff contact the funeral home, arrange payment, and then slip her an official note about it as they said their good byes.

As I've said before, I never had understood Nixon's large support at the end. Now I do.

Save    
queenmargo

YES, we all know how the left like to tell Trump how to do things. Sorry, he does not have a lemming gene in his body;)

Save    
foodonastump

His "offer" put the burden on the grieving family.

Exactly.

Save    
queenmargo

OH please, if someone offers to help, it is NOT a burden. The next time you offer to give someone a ride , or tell someone to call if they need help, just remember that YOU are offering a burden. Such lunacy!

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

queenmargo

The next 3 months the left are going to double down on their hate. Things are really going to get ugly. They have not brought out their backup fangs yet!

Back up fangs? I'm pretty sure the ability to grow new ones as soon as they're sunk into prey is established!

2 Likes Save    
deegw

QM, can you elaborate on the context of your "okay" hand signal post? Is it a supportive gesture or a symbol of hate?

Save    
foodonastump

And really, if you want to talk about how dug in the left is, you have to acknowledge how dug in the trumpsters are. Praise from the opposition is no more rare than criticism from the supporters.

One of my favorite stories was the injecting disinfectants. People bent over backwards to justify what he said. Next day he said he was kidding. Silence. It’s like he tried to make fools of his base!

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

This may well be the public relations gesture of the year. During the 1995 Christmas holidays, Donald Trump and Marla Maples find themselves marooned in their stretch limo with a flat tire on a busy stretch of New Jersey highway. Finally, a passing motorist spots the limo in distress and offers to help the chauffeur change the tire. Driver says, sure. Before the re-tired limo rolls off, the darkened window rolls down and an effusive Trump asks what he and his wife can do to repay the favor. Just send my wife a big bouquet of flowers, says the guy, handing Trump a card with his wife’s name and their address. Two weeks later a gargantuan bouquet of orchids arrives with a card reading, “We paid off your home mortgage, Marla and Donald.” The Trumps flackery won’t reveal the lucky chap’s name, but Informer hears Trump forked over more than $100,000 for the gesture.

Forbes, 1996

Great story. Only problem is, it's false.

Save    
queenmargo

You go to a funeral, you say to the deceased survivor, "If there is anything I can do just call, if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask". Should you just take over their life and do everything for that person that you think should be done? or leave it to them to call or ask if needed? You just put a burden on them if you don't take over their life right?

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

His "offer" put the burden on the grieving family. While they were meeting, he could have had one of his staff contact the funeral home, arrange payment, and then slip her an official note about it as they said their good byes.

Wow, that would have been completely unacceptable to me! That would have been assuming the family wanted his financial assistance, and it would have taken away their own decision!

Maybe it's a personal distinction. I wouldn't have wanted anyone to pay for either of the last two family members I buried. That was my responsibility, and my honor to fulfill my duty to them. I would've been offended and angry if anyone had stepped in to do so without even asking.

And under the circumstances of the terrible way this young woman died, while in the care of the US military, it would have been especially offensive. Rest assured, if that had taken place, this forum would have a thread about Trump's smug and uncaring inability to recognize the emotional needs of the family.

The guy can't win. Good thing is, he knows it, and so do his supporters. So, the comments can go on; they're just like white noise.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

The next time you offer to give someone a ride , or tell someone to call if they need help, just remember that YOU are offering a burden.

Obviously the differentiation has gone over your head. “Whoosh” as they say.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

QM, can you elaborate on the context of your "okay" hand signal post? Is it a supportive gesture or a symbol of hate?

dw- you can take it anyway you want, you will anyway. I don't care.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Obviously the differentiation has gone over your head. “Whoosh” as they say.

another slippery slope response;)

Save    
foodonastump

You go to a funeral, you say to the deceased survivor, "If there is anything I can do just call, if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask".

Knowing that to be a cliché expression I always follow up after the fact, with some specific ideas for where I think I could help.

Save    
queenmargo

Knowing that to be a cliché expression I always follow up after the fact, with some specific ideas for where I think I could help.

Are you a financial advisor, lol?

Save    
mudhouse

Praise from the opposition is no more rare than criticism from the supporters.

No argument there, foodonastump. And I try to remember that I should assume the negative feelings of the opposition are as sincere as my own feelings of support.

That assumption of sincerity on my part is usually why I don't see much point in getting too far into the arguments about why Trump's character is inherently good or evil. That's a personal judgement everybody is welcome to in a free country.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Here's praise for this administration. Serious.

It's a good thing Brian Murphy has been side-lined at DHS. Haven't heard yet who made the decision, but it is someone high up. Sounds like he was a "no holds barred" sort.

Save    
Nana H

"I had hopes that he would do an Infrastructure package when he was first
elected. Democrats were anxious to partner with him to create more jobs
and get some things fixed. I don't know why he didn't realize it would
look good for him to do that."

He met with the Dems and said he would work with them on infastructure but when they came back with a plan, including cost-benefit analysis and ideas on how to pay for it, he refused to have any further discussions with the Dems on infrastructure unless they promised not to do any investigations into the Administration.

Even when he could get a win he made it all about him. Same with Covid, he coulda been a contender.

ETA I have given Trump an attaboy when I felt it was deserved. Must admit they were few and far between and I can't for the life on me recall why I might have been prompted to do it.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

From Vanity Fair on Feb 11, 2020

On Tuesday, one day after the Dow Jones had its worst day in two years on coronavirus fears, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned Americans that it is all but a certainty that the deadly virus will spread throughout the United States. “It’s not so much of a question of if this will happen in this country any more but a question of when this will happen,” said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. “We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” she added ominously. One person who isn’t worried in the slightest? Noted infectious disease scholar Donald Trump, who claimed from India that this whole thing is totally under control, because China—long known for transparency on matters that could embarrass its government—told him so.

“China is working very, very hard. I have spoken to President Xi, and they are working very hard,” Trump explained at a business roundtable at the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi. “If you know anything about him, I think he will be in pretty good shape. They have had a rough patch, but now it looks like they are getting it more and more under control. I think that is a problem that is going to go away.” Trump also downplayed the possibility of the virus having an economic impact in the United States, presumably in part because a hit to the economy would hurt his reelection chances. “It was an outside source which nobody would have predicted six months or three months ago,” he said. “Nobody would have ever predicted [it], but let’s see; I think it is going to be under control…. We do business with a lot of other countries and we take care. We want other countries to be happy, healthy, and well. They’ve got to be happy, healthy, and well. That is very simple.”

While we would never suggest that the president has no earthly idea what he’s talking about when it comes to the coronavirus, his insistence that it’s nothing to get worked up about and, really, is much ado about nothing doesn’t exactly square away with that pesky thing called reality. Although the pace of new cases in mainland China, which were clocking in at more than 2,000 a day as a of a month ago, has slowed, the rapid expansion of confirmed cases in South Korea, Iran, and Italy has suggested a near pandemic. In addition, World Health Organization officials have warnedthat a spike in infections could overwhelm medical resources in many countries, and, crucially, that new cases could resurge in China as people go back to work. (There’s also the matter, per the New York Times, of “persistent doubts about the accuracy of infection figures reported by China’s government, raising the possibility that the true magnitude of the outbreak remains underreported.”)

But hey, maybe we’re being too hard on Dr. Trump. One person who totally backs the president’s assessment and then some? Recent Medal of Freedom recipient Rush Limbaugh, who told his listeners on Monday, “It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump.“ He added: “Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus...The coronavirus is the common cold, folks. The Drive-By Media hype of this thing as a pandemic, as the Andromeda strain, as, ‘Oh, my God, if you get it, you’re dead’...I think the survival rate is 98%. Ninety-eight percent of people get the coronavirus survive. It’s a respiratory system virus. It probably is a ChiCom laboratory experiment that is in the process of being weaponized…. I believe the way it’s being weaponized is by virtue of the media, and I think that it is an effort to bring down Trump, and one of the ways it’s being used to do this is to scare the investors, to scare people in business. It’s to scare people into not buying Treasury bills at auctions. It’s to scare people into leaving, cashing out of the stock market—and sure enough, as the show began today, the stock market—the Dow Jones Industrial Average—was down about 900 points, supposedly because of the latest news about the spread of the coronavirus.”

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Nice people are nice all or most of the time......not once in a while when the press is around. Apparently such a rare event it caught even his fans attention.

Trump is not a nice person by any stretch of the word. Jimmy Carter is a nice man.

5 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Are you a financial advisor, lol?

No, why do you ask? (LOL)

Save    
paprikash

So much weak tea these days, coming from rightward goose steppers...

——-

this comment made me smile. I equate Bidense with weak tea — President Trump is espresso. Also, the goose steppers are the dems — they obey Pelosi, Schumer, AOC, BLM, etc. No individuality. What has happened to the dem party is a shame. They no longer put America first, disrespect our Flag, disrespect law and order, champion illegals sneaking into America, look the other way when their people loot and steal and set fires, etc. I worry for our future generations.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

" No individuality. What has happened to the dem party is a shame."

Paprikash, I honestly don 't know how you can say that when we see just how scared the Republican politicians are with standing up to Trump in any fashion and if anyone dares Trump attacks them.. You truly don't see it?

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Yep, so much so that Mitch felt the need to give them permission to distance themselves from Trump.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

The title of the thread says he's a nice man and gives an example.

Democrats respond with examples of him not being nice.

That's it.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

No individuality.

And yet the Trump supporters agree with EVERYTHING he says and does.

Talk about goosestepping.

Save    
foodonastump

The title of the thread says he's a nice man and gives an example.

Democrats respond with examples of him not being nice.

That's it.

You missed the RINO (among others) who questioned how nice of a gesture it was in the first place.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Pap, you think all the rioters are Leftists, the ones disrespecting our flag and law and order? You really are living in a Trump induced bubble. RW Terrorists are the greatest threat to US and Trump is enabling them. As long as he keeps mislabeling them as Antifa his followers believe him against all facts to the contrary.

Trump just fired the person in homeland security investigating the protestors. Why? He didn’t like what they found?

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

One example that trump made a nice offer (unverified if he actually will follow through on it) does not stand up against decades of insults,* ripping people off, committing fraud, and going after "rats" as he calls them while springing felons who stayed loyal to his criminal enterprise, and being involved in 3,500 separate lawsuits is not a *nice* man.

His inability to express an ounce of compassion for the 150,000 Americans who've died just since March 1 on his watch and instead applying a political calculation that it's not a problem as it's just the elderly/the blue state dems/the chronically ill/the nursing home bound who are dying is notable.

Even his reference that *Melania* has a son and that's why she's worried about vaping says it all. He is *not* a nice man.

A man who sends in federal troops to teargas peaceful protesters just so he can do a photo op with a bible is *not* a nice man.

A man who brags he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th ave is not a nice man.

A man who does nothing to help a man who's collapsed on his floor and instead complains about the blood is *not* a nice man.

--------------

*598 victims of his insults and this article not updated in over a year https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/28/upshot/donald-trump-twitter-insults.html

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Way back up ^^^....had the wrong flavor of teabag in mind, ran off to gas up and get a new air filter for the generator....Busy bee day....

Save    
barncatz

A party rooted in decency and values does not embrace the anger that Mr. Trump peddles as patriotism.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/opinion/trump-republican-party-racism.html

From the article ^^^ posted by kate in this thread:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5969029/trump-as-symptom-not-cause-of-republican-decline#addAnswer

Save    
lurker111

150 TDS posts. Unreal.

1 Like Save    

You know, when a majority of people are all pointing out more or less the same things, maybe it's time to check one's own beliefs...

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

A majority of a handful of TDS liberals?

2 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

People voted for him, not because he is a nice man, he isn’t, but for his ruthless business acumen. Since this has proved to be an illusion it might be too late now to go for the “he really is a nice man “ploy.. The reason people are so critical of him is not hatred but love of country they are afraid of losing because of this mans incompetence and quotidien boorishness.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

What does the left say about lying? If you repeat it enough, crats will actually believe it. Sad reality.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

People voted for him, not because he is a nice man, he isn’t, but for his ruthless business acumen.

lol. Really?

Save    
queenmargo

Oh calm yourself 647, we felt the same way about Obama, but we had composure;)

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Same for biden. He's a crook. Did someone say something about incompetence?

2 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Now that really is a ROFL. Margo

Illogical Lurker incompetent crooks end up in jail, so too should incompetent rooked presidents.

Save    
queenmargo

Now that really is a ROFL. Margo

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Illogical Lurker incompetent crooks end up in jail,

lol^^^ Yeah, riiiight. Your comment doesn't say anything about former VP's. I wonder why?

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

I have some serious shoveling to do today outside and I can’t help you two with yours, sorry

Save    
lurker111

He really is. He hasn't told his supporters to...

"Go out and get in their faces"

"If they bring knives, we'll bring guns"

I know the left took his advice, but it's crazy advice. Total insanity.

Save    
lurker111

I have some serious shoveling to do today outside and I can’t help you two with yours, sorry

Indoor plumbing eliminates that.

1 Like Save    
katrina_ellen

lurker, it is total insanity now. thanks dems.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Storage Man Space: A Guy Likes a Nice Closet, Too
If clothes make the man, shouldn't a man make a great space for the clothes? Take inspiration from these dream closets for dudes
Full Story
Midcentury Style Follow One Man’s Midcentury-Mailbox Dream
An ill-fitting mailbox leads a determined dad on a quest — and possibly to a new business
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: Style Rules in a Man’s 450-Square-Foot Studio
Fresh materials and a space-saving Murphy bed replace dated finishes (no more popcorn ceiling!)
Full Story