Like other cities, Austin, TX declares racism a 'public health crisis'

dublinbay z6 (KS)

If we took politics out of the mix, it might be clear what is the message of BLM and the protesters.

-----------------------------

"On Wednesday, the City Council in Austin, Texas, passed a resolution declaring that racism is a “public health crisis.”

Citing racial disparities in the rates of poverty, unemployment, homeownership and arrest, the Austin measure echoes the language of resolutions passed in other cities around the country. According to tracking by the American Public Health Association (APHA), dozens of cities and counties have made similar declarations over the past two months.

“Racism is literally killing Black and brown people. It’s a public health crisis and it’s beyond time to treat it as such,” Austin Council Member Natasha Harper-Madison said, adding, “The inequities are countless and they aren’t because African-Americans are inherently inferior. They are the fruits of generations’ worth of explicitly discriminatory and racist policies, things like housing policies from the federal level on down to the local level, that kept Black residents from even reaching the ground floor of generational wealth-building.”

The council also passed an act put forth by Harper-Madison, the only Black member of the 11-person body, making June 19 a city holiday in honor of Juneteenth, a commemoration of the end of slavery in the United States. A separate resolution also passed on Wednesday by the council states that consideration will be given to renaming areas in the capital linked to the Confederacy and white supremacy. All the proposals passed unanimously."

https://news.yahoo.com/austin-texas-racism-public-health-crisis-louisville-minneapolis-191822382.html

-------------------------------------

Headlines and Trumpsters like to focus on the negative effects of protests and demonstrations--makes for a better political tool, after all--but this impact on Austin, TX should remind us of the true motivation of the protesters.

Austin got the message.

Kate

SaveComment45Like2
Comments (45)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lurker111

Austin is a freak show.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

I hope they realize who Stephen F Austin was. :^) Oh my!!!

2 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Who was he then and why is this relevant?

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Ahem--off topic already?

Here it is again:

"the City Council in Austin, Texas, passed a resolution declaring that racism is a “public health crisis.

-----------------

Kate

2 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Sorry Kate I was bluff calling.

Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
lurker111

lol. That's just crazy. So is renaming everything, as mentioned in the article.

1 Like Save    
elvis

HU-274840647

Who was he then and why is this relevant?

Relevance? From the OP^^^: A separate resolution also passed on Wednesday by the council states that consideration will be given to renaming areas in the capital linked to the Confederacy and white supremacy. All the proposals passed unanimously."

Who was he then (Austin)?

While Austin thought it would be advantageous some day for Texas to phase out of slavery, up until the Texas Revolution he worked to ensure that his colony's immigrants could bypass the Mexican government's resistance to it.[32] Doing so ensured the population growth and economic development of his colony, which was primarily dependent on the monocropping of cotton and sugar.[33][34][35]

Arguing that the loss of slaves would be ruinous to the colony, he arranged for his settlers to receive eighty acres of land for each slave they brought with them to Texas. In August 1825, he recommended that the state government allow immigrants to bring their slaves with them through 1840, with the caveat that female grandchildren of the slaves would be freed by the age of 15, and males by age of 25.[36][34][37] His recommendation was rejected.

In 1826, when a state committee proposed abolishing slavery outright, 25 percent of the people in Austin's colony were slaves.[34][38] Austin's colonists, mostly pro-slavery immigrants from the south, threatened to leave Texas if the proposition passed, while prospective Southern immigrants hesitated to come to Texas until slavery was guaranteed there.[37]

Austin conceded that the success of his colony was dependent on slavery.[24][37][39] Without slaves, the colonists would lack the mass labor to cultivate the land, which would stall the pace of immigration needed to develop and increase the value of the land, which would deflate the economy and motivate his colonists to leave.[37][40][41]

Austin went before the legislature and pleaded that, at the least; his original 300 colonists should be allowed to keep their slaves.[37] He argued against the "bad faith" of freeing them, demanded reparations to slaveowners for every slave emancipated by the state, warned that the loss of slaves could leave some colonists destitute, and reasoned that freeing them would not only leave his settlers alone in the harsh Texas environment, but would also expose them to the discomfort and nuisance of living amongst freed slaves, who would become vagrants seeking retribution upon their former owners.[42] While he waited for the legislature's verdict of his request, Austin went into a deep depression over the issue and sent his brother, Brown Austin, to further lobby the legislature on his behalf.[32][39]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_F._Austin

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Elvis taking 'em to school again!

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Not only did he bring the first slaves to Texas and made it legal to have them, he also killed off the Karankawa Indians.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

The inequities are countless and they aren’t because African-Americans are inherently inferior.

It's because of an inferiority complex.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Still off-topic. The OP is NOT about Stephen Austin.

To repeat: "the City Council in Austin, Texas, passed a resolution declaring that racism is a “public health crisis.

----

That the Austin city resolution was passed in a place named Austin is entirely beside the point. Has nothing to do with nothing!

The idea that "racism" might be considered "a public health crisis" in any and all cities, regardless after whom they were named, is what the OP is about.

Kate

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

No, it's spot on. No one cares about Austin. It's a perverted city.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Austin is the most liberal city in America. (my opinion) If they have a public health crisis with racism...lol!

Yeah, that's where I was attacked for my friend wearing purple shoelaces. They sure do have a problem with racism. Anti-white racism. They're all crazy.

1 Like Save    
deegw

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Got gas? ^^^ We know. We know.

1 Like Save    
vedabeeps

Austin is the only good thing about Texas.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

What's so good about it?

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Why would anyone consider "racism" to be a "public health crisis"? Why?

Kate

1 Like Save    
elvis

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Still off-topic. The OP is NOT about Stephen Austin.

To repeat: "the City Council in Austin, Texas, passed a resolution declaring that racism is a “public health crisis.

----

That the Austin city resolution was passed in a place named Austin is entirely beside the point. Has nothing to do with nothing!

The idea that "racism" might be considered "a public health crisis" in any and all cities, regardless after whom they were named, is what the OP is about.

Kate

Huh. Go figure, we thought the topic was about the OP. Boldingmine:

Like other cities, Austin, TX declares racism a 'public health crisis'

"dublinbay z6 (KS)2 hours ago

If we took politics out of the mix, it might be clear what is the message of BLM and the protesters.

-----------------------------

"On Wednesday, the City Council in Austin, Texas, passed a resolution declaring that racism is a “public health crisis.”

Citing racial disparities in the rates of poverty, unemployment, homeownership and arrest, the Austin measure echoes the language of resolutions passed in other cities around the country. According to tracking by the American Public Health Association (APHA), dozens of cities and counties have made similar declarations over the past two months.

“Racism is literally killing Black and brown people. It’s a public health crisis and it’s beyond time to treat it as such,” Austin Council Member Natasha Harper-Madison said, adding, “The inequities are countless and they aren’t because African-Americans are inherently inferior. They are the fruits of generations’ worth of explicitly discriminatory and racist policies, things like housing policies from the federal level on down to the local level, that kept Black residents from even reaching the ground floor of generational wealth-building.”

The council also passed an act put forth by Harper-Madison, the only Black member of the 11-person body, making June 19 a city holiday in honor of Juneteenth, a commemoration of the end of slavery in the United States. A separate resolution also passed on Wednesday by the council states that consideration will be given to renaming areas in the capital linked to the Confederacy and white supremacy. All the proposals passed unanimously."

https://news.yahoo.com/austin-texas-racism-public-health-crisis-louisville-minneapolis-191822382.html

-------------------------------------

Headlines and Trumpsters like to focus on the negative effects of protests and demonstrations--makes for a better political tool, after all--but this impact on Austin, TX should remind us of the true motivation of the protesters.

Austin got the message.

Kate"

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Does Austin have any concrete plans to address the health implications of the economic disparities in its community? Free clinics, education, school meals, that sort of thing?

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Elvis, why would you simply repeat my OP and my other postings in this thread? Other than taking up space, what else does that accomplish?

------------------

To the other posters on this thread: I really wanted to explore the idea that "racism is a public health crisis."

Obviously most of you do not.

Go to it. I'm abandoning this hopeless thread--which is just what several posters obviously wanted to happen.

You win.

Kate

Save    
lurker111

Austin isn't that nice. City, slums, college, politics, strippers, bars and restaurants...A good place to catch a disease. The suburbs are nice, but they are in their own little cities. I don't know what they can do other than to tear down the slums and rebuild nicer homes. That would send most of the poor people to Buda and Kyle.

1 Like Save    
jmm1837

I thought it was an interesting posting with potential for discussion, but the hive seems to have had other ideas. Leave them to it.

Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

<Austin is the most liberal city in America.>

Yes, your opinion is definitely flawed. You've obviously never been to Berkeley or San Francisco. I moved from Austin to Berkeley in 1973, and the difference was dramatic, and then I moved from Berkeley to San Francisco, where the difference was not dramatic.

Then I moved back to Austin (to attend UT for another degree) in 1985 from San Francisco and went through culture shock, which took years to wear off, due to the conservative climate in Austin compared to San Francisco.

I did not go through culture shock when I went to Mexico City or Vancouver from San Francisco, but I did every time I went back to Austin to visit.

I moved to Austin from Houston in 1972 when I graduated from Rice, and at that time, Houston was more liberal than Austin - Barbara Jordan was my congressional representative, and there was no one in Austin to compare to her. Rice is also a much more liberal university than UT.

I got harassed by Austin police frequently in 1972-73. It was slightly better in 1985, but just barely. Austin is even behind Dallas in passing this resolution. A certain minority of people in Austin like to perpetuate the myth that Austin is a liberal city, but they are not comparing it to cities outside Texas.

I'm glad that Austin is declaring racism to be a public health crisis, but they were slow to do this, compared to other cities, including Dallas.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Yeah, I'm sure you know Austin better than I do. I've only been here for around 50 years. I lived in Richardson for 4 years, and Houston for 6. Worked in Austin most of my life and lived there for 4 years. But, I'm sure you know them all better than I do. Thanks for your prejudiced opinion. :^)

Edit: BTW, they're busting the rioters in Austin right now. Check YouTube or Twitter for the action. :^)

1 Like Save    
lurker111

You really seem to have had a problem with the law all over Texas. Interesting. I have hair down to my elbows and never had that experience. I've dealt with a couple of jerks, but only due to traffic violations. I've never been harassed.

Save    
Lulu Smith

They have bigger problems in Austin.

"The University of Texas at Austin is No. 1 in the nation for the highest cases of the novel coronavirus, according to a New York Times survey."

In a step toward full transparency, UT-Austin set up adigital dashboard allowing community members to see updated faculty and staff cases. Since the COVID-19 outbreak began in spring, UT-Austin has reported 449 cases of the virus. The bulk of UT's 449 cases occurred in late June and July, according to theNYT survey.

UT officials had plenty to say about the survey, especially considering thousands of students are now deliberating returning to school during a pandemic.

The NYT compiled data from public, four-year universities in the U.S., as well as private colleges that compete in Division I sports or are members of an elite group of research universities. More than 6,300 institutions were surveyed.

"There is no standardized reporting method for coronavirus cases and deaths at colleges, and the information is not being publicly tracked at a national level," the NYT said in a statement. "Of nearly 1,000 institutions contacted by The Times, some had already posted case information online, some provided full or partial numbers and others refused to answer basic questions, citing privacy concerns. Hundreds of colleges did not respond at all."

Since the onset of the outbreak, UT-Austin has tracked COVID-19 cases although most students are not on campus yet, Bird said. One of the most significant outbreaks came from a spring break trip to Mexico in March, which resulted in dozens of UT students testing positive for COVID-19.

UT-Austin is still planning an in-person return to campus in less than a month. Interim President Jay Hartzell announced Wednesday that students planning to return to Austin must self-isolate for 14 days after returning to campus.

https://www.chron.com/local/article/This-Texas-university-now-leads-U-S-colleges-in-15448833.php

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I will address the OP. Obviously living in a state of constant siege, never knowing when you might be stopped, having to view police as an enemy instead of a friend, constantly having to watch your back, getting taken advantage of by everyone you deal with and having no recourse because of your color, and not even being able to just shop in a store without being leaned on, well that is going to be physically and emotionally wearing and will certainly have a physical affect on your health. I agree that it is a public crisis and that doesnt even address the poverty.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

That's not reality. That's an inferiority complex. Austin is nothing like that. Neither is any part of Texas that I've ever seen.

2 Likes Save    

Just so you know, my family has always lived in Austin. You have had a different experience there than I have - neither one negates the other.

You said that Austin was the most liberal city in the country, but you have yet to say how long you have lived in Berkeley or San Francisco.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

It sounds like you had an experience like no other. My family has been here for 3 generations. My great uncle Bob built Mansfield Dam for LCRA. He owned all of the land from the dam all the way past Jonestown. We donated Windy Point and Hippie Hollow. My name is on the plaque at BW Park at Windy Point. Does Berkeley have a gay nudist park? Austin used to be a decent city. Not anymore. That girl you just met might really be a guy, and that new friend you just met will probably end up asking you out on a date.

My experience with the cops is much different. When I was much younger, I got drunk in Pflugerville and raced a motorcycle on the highway. I got pulled over for 140 in a 55 at 12 am. The cop told me to go home and didn't even write a ticket.

No, I've never had any desire to go to Berkley or San Franblankhole. Do they have a city motto? Is it something like "Keep Austin Weird?" You would probably love Austin these days. It's the live music capital of the world.

You said that Austin was the most liberal city in the country

Yes it is. In my opinion. Get over it.

1 Like Save    
studio10001

I'll be interested to know what actions this results in. So far, the declaration refers the City manager to work on anti racist policies which, frankly, he should already be doing.

Save    
HU-274840647

In a thread about racism you tell a story about white privilège, and they don’t come any less sensitive than that. Tell me in all honesty if you think a young black man would have received the same treatment on his motorcycle?

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

HU, with all due respect, you are placing treats in the clown car.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

I was racing against a motorcycle. I was driving a Porsche. Yes, the black man would have received the same treatment if he would have acted like I did. There isn't a problem with racism against blacks in this area.

This action won't result in anything. They'll claim to do things that already exist. They might even make an anti-lynching law that already exists. It's ridiculous. They're fighting against something that doesn't exist. If you want to know the truth, blacks are very organized in Austin. They do have thugs, but most are more organized. They walk around with headsets looking for racism where it doesn't exist. That's how we got hassled for my friend's purple shoelaces. You need to be careful of what you wear. Colors set them off.

Save    
lurker111

A little tip...Those state trooper stickers really do work.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

ROTF!

Save    

<In my opinion. Get over it.>

I'm very much over your opinions. Unlike you, I respect others' opinions. I don't doubt that your experiences are different from mine, but I do not try to denigrate them. My experiences are also not unique. I could list many examples, but the list would too long.

Austin has to proclaim itself weird because otherwise people might not know it. Portland has a similar motto. Cities like Berkeley and San Francisco do not need such silly mottoes. Most of my friends in Austin ended up moving to San Francisco.

Austin is the live music capital of the world for two weeks only (during SXSW) - according the national news source (I think it was CBS) that announced it one year. People in Austin decided (mistakenly) that it was meant to be all year, but that was not the case. Live music in San Francisco is far superior - or at least more to my taste. I never liked the Austin sound. I actually prefer groups from Houston like 13th Floor Elevators. I haven't kept up with Texas music because it does not appeal to me. I much prefer German bands.

My family has been in Texas since 1844, when it was still a republic. Several of my uncles started banks in various cities. There is an elementary school in Lubbock named after one of my uncles because of the land he donated and a dormitory at Abilene Christian College. Texas Monthly published an article about him.

Berkeley does not have a gay nudist beach - because it does not have beaches - but San Francisco does.

The only thing I miss about Austin is Lake Travis. The lakes here are too cold.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

So, is racism a "public health crisis"?

Strange how some posters think that is a question just about Austin. It is not. Austin was simply an example.

Can you tell the difference between "Racism is a public health crisis" and "Racism in Austin is a public health crisis?

The question is much larger than one city in Texas.

Kate

Save    
lurker111

I'm not going to argue with you about Austin because you're way off.

13th Floor Elevators are from Austin. Old friends. Have you ever heard of a band named Pariah? One of their kids is in the band...I know them, too. The singer is no longer with us.

Save    
lurker111

"Racism is a public health crisis"

Total insanity and not worth a comment.

Save    
cait1

So racism makes browns and blacks eat bad food which makes them unhealthy?

"One of the most important findings of our study is that the excess risk of developing diabetes in African American women is almost 50% due to adiposity [excess fat]," researcher Linda Kao, PhD, tells WebMD.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20000402/african-american-type-2-diabetes

Oooops. Did Dr Kao just make a racist remark? Fat African American women are more prone to developing diabetes? That's racist and sexist.

Austin better include sexist in their resolution otherwise leftys will start crying discrimination.

Leftys really are insane.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Actually Cait racism can make people eat bad food. Racism makes people poor and poor people have few food choices. They frequently live in food deserts where there are no stores where you can buy fresh food and when there are fresh food is expensive. If your choice is one or two apples or a box of generic Mac and Cheese what do you buy when you have very little money? Foods like greens that were once cheap are now popular and expensive. How about those bell peppers? People with no way to cook rely on fast food and that is fatty food.

Save    
lurker111

Actually Cait racism can make people eat bad food. Racism makes people poor and poor people have few food choices.

Reality calling...

Save    
lurker111

An estimated 26% of Americans
ages 18 and older -- about 1 in 4 adults -- suffers from a diagnosable
mental disorder in a given year.

It's best to ignore the crazy people.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Homes Around the World World of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
By Houzz
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
Kitchen Design Why a Designer Kept Her Kitchen Walls
Closed kitchens help hide messes (and smells) and create a zone for ‘me time.’ Do you like your kitchen open or closed?
Full Story
Universal Design What to Look for in a House if You Plan to Age in Place
Look for details like these when designing or shopping for your forever home
Full Story