Really?

Annie Deighnaugh

Does it make you feel good to once again delete my "In memory" thread where I post a tombstone for every person who has passed due to corona virus?

SMH

Is this the 3rd or 4th time it's been deleted, only to be restored on Monday....

I'm really not sure what your problem is or why you persist in this childish behavior.

SaveComment31Like15
Comments (31)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Whether the thread is visible or not, the facts remain.

US Covid deaths per day (blue line)

7-day moving average (red line)

Source: Johns Hopkins

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

1527 Americans died on July 31 for a total of 153,361

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

12 Likes Save    
sjerin

Thank you, Annie. How childish to pull a completely factual thread. Again.

6 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Probably someone who thinks it’s Trump’s fault and wants to take focus away from that.

5 Likes Save    
maddie260

Welcome to the weekend. I signed out, and see that some of my postings are deleted- some with many likes. I can guess the know-it-all, thin-skinned, keyboard courage warrior- very active on weekends!

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I didn't report your post...

Uh huh...but you did notice how long it took me to put it together in the first place, and you called it spam.

[ETA: This is in response to a post by lurker, now gone, where she claimed to not have reported my post but disagreed with my posting it. She made a comment about not know what kind of satisfaction I derived from doing it, and that anyone who lost someone to the disease would be upset by it...sorry I don't remember the exact wording, but that was the gist.]

7 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I think for most of us, this post would be completely unnecessary as most of us understand the purpose of a memorial and that it can take many forms.

It's hardly satisfaction to visually log the many untimely and unnecessary deaths of my fellow Americans. Rather it's a way of paying respect to them. They must not be forgotten in the embroilment around this virus. It's a way of trying to quantify the untold sorrow this virus brings to our nation and the world. The human mind can barely grasp the grief one death brings to the circle of friends and family around them. Yet that circle surrounds each and every tombstone posted in their memory.

I doubt anyone would want their friends and family to be represented in your little collection of I's.

Rather, to repost Momofdoxies post in the memorial thread:

Thank you Annie for your continued dedication to this thread. I come here every day to say a prayer for those that have died. Just a few of the names that we have lost to this virus: Lois, Marie, Daniel, Anne, Melvin, and Natalie. Ages range from 97 to 24. To some of us this is very personal.

To which I added the name Priscilla.

12 Likes Save    
Uptown Gal

I see your question has been answered Annie ;) Wouldn't it be nice to think

you could just "delete" every little thing that harms and hurts in real life? (thank

you for posting this Annie.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Annie Deighnaugh

Y'know lurker? I am one of those who is always sorry to see when your posts are deleted. I think your words should stand as much as anyone else's as they are yours. Especially on an on-line forum, we only have our words to represent us.

6 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I'm sorry, lurker that you can't recognize my sincerity. I'm not being facetious or sarcastic. It is inappropriate to delete others' comments when they don't break any ROR, whether we like them or not, whether we disagree with them or not.

5 Likes Save    
docmom_gw(5)

lurker,

You are only doing yourself a disservice by lumping Annie D. into what you refer to as “the left.” She is trying to support your right to express your beliefs. By, laughing at her, you only make yourself appear narrow-minded.

8 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Thank you for maintaining this grim tally, Annie. It's too easy to become numb to such huge numbers. It's good to be reminded of what this means. Each of those little symbols represents a life connected to other lives.

1 thing I have noticed is that those fiercely defending our president and his ilk do not seem to ever acknowledge - or lament - the enormous loss of life this plague has caused - ever.

And someone apparently deleted their comments?

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Kathy

Thank You Annie for your persistence to honor the lives needlessly lost.

Marigold

The numbers you post are sobering, for sure, and brings down all the rhetoric to that horrible truth that people are dying at a terrible rate. Thank you

lurker111

You are only doing yourself a disservice by lumping Annie D. into what
you refer to as “the left.” She is trying to support your right to
express your beliefs. By, laughing at her, you only make yourself appear
narrow-minded.

Uh-huh. Sure.

Save    
foodonastump

How we honor the dead is a personal thing, and I’ve often wondered how I’d feel about a loved one being represented by a computer keystroke on a contentious forum. But you have to consider intent, and I’d find it hard to see anything but respectful intent with the thread.

Personally I find pumping bodies up with embalming fluid, caking on makeup, and having them on display off-putting. But I wouldn’t slam the coffin shut just because I don’t like it, when I know it helps give others closure and peace.

Flagging posts and threads is not a one-sided phenomenon, it’s a right or at least ability that Houzz has given us, and for whatever reason remains with us despite years of demonstrated abuse.

Fortunately for the sake of those who find the thread meaningful, it continues to reappear on Mondays. The casket is reopened, so to speak. I’d recommend that as long as it reappears, we not start a new fight every time it gets flagged.

Remember that the intent is to honor the dead, not use them as pawns in a debate. To those who don’t like the thread, I highly recommend ignoring it. Last I’ve looked, there’s little commentary, mostly just markers.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
elvis

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I cannot bring the other thread back, but the powers that be can and have multiple times, giving it their implicit blessing as not violating the ROR.

I can appreciate that some may not like the visual reminder each of the tombstone represents. Some people don't like cemeteries either. I agree with FOAS, if you find the thread upsetting, then please don't open it.

But clearly, given the number of likes received here and positive comments, it is not a sentiment held by all.

The intent is for it to be respectful of those who have lost their lives, and the friends and family who grieve as a result.

10 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Keep the thread going. It is respectful and violates no Houzz condition of use that I can see. That it keeps disappearing is a reflection on the flaggers, not on the thread.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
petalique

Annie, I am sorry that someone acted to remove and or chasten your In Memory thread. You have all my support.

Those screwed up flaggers don’t mind trying to “cancel” those issues they’d like to see hidden away. Maybe they’ve tried that on Flanders Fields?

1 Like Save    
Moxie(Z4 St. Paul, MN)

Lydia is represented by one of your marks, Annie. Thank you.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh

What is ROR, please?

The only definition I know is return on revenue...

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

ROR: Rules of the Road

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

999 Americans died on August 1 for a total of 154,360

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

481 Americans died on August 2 for a total of 154,841

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Save    
heri_cles

What was the point of contacting Emily directly in October 2019 ?

How many times have you done that ?

Save    
cattyles

Heri, I think that’s a response from Emily on a thread. I must have started the thread since I “thanked” her.

Save    

I think other people thanked her too.

Save    
maddie260

Spam when people die? SMH?

Save    
ohiomom

We live in a digital time and memorials take different forms but there are memorials to the dead all over this country that contain their names not just numbers/symbols .... thank you for honoring those who have died.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

heri, more than likely the post from emily was triggered by a thread where people were discussing why and how posts/threads/posters get deleted. She has on occasion weighed in on those threads to answer specific questions and clarify policy and explain when and why certain things happen.

It is not necessarily that someone specifically contacted her and got an individual reply.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz How to Build a Really, Really Small House
A four-minute film holds the magnifying glass up to a dollhouse collector smitten with all things small
Full Story
The Hardworking Home Mudrooms That Really Clean Up
The Hardworking Home: Houzz readers get down and dirty with their ideas for one of the home’s hardest-working rooms
Full Story
Fun Houzz 10 Things People Really Don’t Want in Their Homes
No love lost over fluorescent lights? No shocker there. But some of these other hated items may surprise you
Full Story