Will anyone trust Russian vaccine, in 2 weeks!

gettingnowhere

If this were a country other than Russia, this would be exciting and hopeful news.

Russia aims to secure approval for the first Covid-19 vaccine, which it says has had absolute efficacy against the coronavirus, in the first two weeks of August, the head of its sovereign wealth fund told The National.

Kirill Dmitriev, chief executive of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, which is financing the country’s vaccine research, said the vaccine had been proven in trials on animals and humans.

“It’s a Sputnik moment for many people who didn’t expect Russia to be the first,” Mr Dmitriev said, using a reference to the Soviet Union launching the first satellite, the Sputnik 1 in 1957, which beat the US into space.
It’s a Sputnik moment for many people who didn’t expect Russia to be the firstKirill Dmitriev

There are more than 100 vaccines being developed and tested around the world to stop the coronavirus pandemic, which has infected nearly 17 million people and killed more than 666,000.

The Gamaleya Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology in Russia, which conducted trials of its own vaccine, is relying on scientific knowledge acquired six years ago in the fight against Ebola and the Middle East respiratory syndrome, a disease caused by a coronavirus, Mr Dmitriev said.

“We do not expect to be the only vaccine out there but definitely based on research I have seen, our vaccine will be the first to be approved,” he said.

“We believe our vaccine in many ways is better than others and we will be completely open to build partnerships to produce it in different parts of the world.”

Russian vaccine developers are using two human adenovirus vectors, not one, to elicit immune responses. https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/russia-will-have-covid-19-vaccine-in-two-weeks-in-sputnik-moment-1.1056470

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris GW

Maybe Putin will give Trump a deal on a bulk shipment.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by gettingnowhere
mudhouse

Trust a Russian vaccine? That's a nyet, for me.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by gettingnowhere
HamiltonGardener

They are on the same track as the other vaccine leaders. They have already tested for safety. The difference is they are going to roll out the vaccine before they test for efficacy. Their justification is that they believe it is effective, and if it isn’t, they are no worse off.

The strategy is sound, in an emergency situation like this.

And if it turns out that it is only 20% or 30% effective, that’s not herd immunity but at least it slows down transmission until a better vaccine comes along.

That said, I would still want the testing and safety data reviewed by other health organizations around the world (including Canada) before I would take it. I assume, though, that there will be other vaccines that Canada will be pursuing instead of this one.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by gettingnowhere
HamiltonGardener

Coronavirus: Russia plans mass vaccination campaign in October

Russian health authorities are preparing to start a mass vaccination campaign against coronavirus in October, the health minister has said.

Russian media quoted Mikhail Murashko as saying that doctors and teachers would be the first to receive the vaccine.

Reuters, citing anonymous sources, said Russia's first potential vaccine would be approved by regulators this month.

However, some experts are concerned at Russia's fast-track approach.

On Friday, the leading infectious disease expert in the US, Dr Anthony Fauci, said he hoped that Russia - and China - were "actually testing the vaccine" before administering them to anyone.

Dr Fauci has said that the US should have a "safe and effective" vaccine by the end of this year.

"I do not believe that there will be vaccines so far ahead of us that we will have to depend on other countries to get us vaccines," he told US lawmakers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53621708

Save    
Nana H

I wish that the powers that be would include the word "safe" every time they say "fast" or " warp speed".

We all want fast but we all want safe too and I worry that focusing verbally more on the "fast" and less on the" safe" will up the odds of people choosing not to take it.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

Will anyone trust Russian vaccine, in 2 weeks!

For husband and myself, that's a big NO.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

I’ll wait til Fauci clears a vaccine.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Nope, not until it is cleared by Canada.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Farmhouses New This Week: 2 Charming Farmhouse Kitchens With Modern Convenience
These spaces have all of today’s function with yesteryear’s simplicity and character
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: A Budget Makeover in Massachusetts
For less than $3,000 (not including appliances), a designing couple gets a new kitchen that honors the past
Full Story
Mudrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Mudroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make a utilitarian mudroom snazzier and better organized with these cheap and easy ideas
Full Story