Mexican recipe wanted

jkayd_il5

We used to go to a Mexican restaurant that has changed hands. There was a dish, not on the menu now, that I always ordered. It was a thin piece of chicken, then a thin piece of ham topped with white cheese and pineapple slices. I think the name started with V. I have been craving this. I tried to make it once but of course it wasn't as good. Someone know what this recipe could be?

SaveComment26Like
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy Good

sounds like a Hawaiian type dish to me.

1 Like Save    
Uptown Gal

https://www.tasteandtellblog.com/chicken-and-pineapple-supreme/

Sounds like Hawaiian Chicken...? Does It look like this?

Save    
Save    
Lars

That's two votes for Hawaiian.

I've never had pineapple with chicken, ham, or cheese in Mexico, but I did have pineapple empanadas in Campeche, and they were a dessert.

Save    
beesneeds

If not Hawaiian... maybe Malibu Chicken?

https://www.perrysplate.com/2010/10/grilled-malibu-chicken.html

Save    
jkayd_il5

No, the chicken and ham were much thinner and the cheese is melted. Also served with rice. I think it was based on a recipe from a restaurant in the NW because I looked it up once a long time ago.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

No salsa or some kind of mole involved? If not, doesn't sound very Mexican.

1 Like Save    
Judy Good

Some type of Verde dish?

Save    
Save    
beesneeds

So was this dish seasoned? With what? Was there a sauce, what did it taste like? What kind of cheese was it?

Hawaiian and Malibu chicken have the cheese melted... you can make the chicken and ham as thin as you like.

Save    
jkayd_il5

Thanks everyone. I just remember I liked it. I'll probably try to make it again some day. It probably was just a house dish. Thanks!

Save    
pudgeder

Well your description has certainly gotten my attention! Please share if you find the recipe!

Save    
Toby

I'm in the PNW and have lived on the west coast for forty years and have never seen anything like that. You might try it with homemade pineapple salsa. The cheese would be a Mexican melting cheese, which is similar to mozzarella, or Monterey jack.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Haha, if you want more authentic Mexican food, you need to be closer to the border (and not the Canadian border).

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

What......there is no authentic Mexican food in the PNW?? We have a huge Hispanic community here, as many agricultural centers do, and it is not hard to find very authentic Mexican food here. Or all the necessary ingredients at a local bodega to make your own.

The dish sounds vaguely like a deconstructed al pastor recipe. At least it has all the ingredients for al pastor with the addition of chicken as well.

3 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

jkayd, seems like most restaurants have facebook or web pages. Maybe comment to ask if anyone else remembers this dish, and/or email the management to ask if they might still have the recipe available.

Save     Thanked by jkayd_il5
Lars

I guess things have changed in the PNW because when I went there in the 1970s, I could not find authentic Mexican food at all. I did find frozen tortillas at a supermarket in Vancouver and a Texas BBQ restaurant in Seattle, but not any authentic Mexican food.

The first time I went to Seattle was August 1976 (on my way to Vancouver), after having spent the month of June 1976 in Mexico City and Nayarit. Seattle was very depressed at this time, as Boeing had recently laid off a lot of employees there. There was also an American Legion Convention in Seattle while I was there - during an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease. So my first impressions of Seattle were not good at all.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"there is no authentic Mexican food in the PNW?"

My experience, admittedly during fleeting exposure as a visitor but on very many occasions, was that many "Mexican" restaurants in the Seattle area seemed not to be real authentic and to be owned and run by gringos. Maybe that wasn't representative.

If you want the real thing in greater numbers (I did say "more"), you need to be much closer to the source. Just as an example, there are many in SoCal and also in the Bay Area too. San Diego has too many terrific Mexican restaurants (many very plain and some a bit grungy but with a delicious diversity of regional Mexican cooking) than one could ever sample.

Save    
olychick

Well, the good, authentic Mexican food in the PNW is not going to be as easily found in the urban, touristy areas, but in the areas away from the cities in the smaller towns and in agricultural areas, like Mt. Vernon/Skagit County in the north, Lewis county in the south and just about every area in eastern WA....where the largest apple crop in the US is grown, as well as the largest sweet cherry crop, plus many, many other fruits are grown and processed. Lots of wine growing regions in WA and Oregon. Yakima has a huge, majority Hispanic population. Walla Walla and the Palouse and other wheat growing areas also have a large Hispanic population. While not what some of you would call "authentic" I remember the best taco I've ever had was a Walla Walla sweet onion taco from a Mexican run taco truck in Walla Walla. The taco was authentic, just the Walla Walla onions were a later addition not found in Mexico.

If a person is of Mexican heritage and makes Mexican food, is that not authentic, too? Funny, white people arguing about authentic Mexican.

I would guess the same could be true in BC, but they'll have to respond to that.

6 Likes Save    
beesneeds

If it helps any.... Malibu chicken originates from Sizzler, a restaurant chain in California and the NW...

Elmer J Fudd

olychick, are you sharing your experiences or guessing? Yes, agricultural areas tend to have higher Hispanic populations because of the work many do. Minimum wage and often itinerant farm workers don't tend to eat in restaurants. And when they do, at least in my area, many really enjoy Chinese food.

"If a person is of Mexican heritage and makes Mexican food, is that not authentic, too?"

It depends on the style of food, what dishes they make and how they make them. There is such a thing as what I'll call Americanized Mexican and that's all most people know and that's mostly what you find. That's not authentic Mexican cooking and I used that word purposefully.

The same is true for most kinds of ethnic food. If you think you know and like Chinese food from eating in conventional Chinese restaurants in the US, you're in for a shock should you ever visit an ethnically Chinese area - China, or Taiwan, or Singapore, as examples. In my area, there have been enough ethnic Chinese immigrants in the last few decades that there are authentic Chinese restaurants to be found and perhaps some in the PNW area too. But to really experience authentic Chinese food (which is also very different regionally), you need to go to such a place with a Chinese friend because usually the English menus show only the Americanized stuff and the authentic dishes are on menus written only in Chinese.

Save    
Lars

There is no shortage of authentic Chinese restaurants in Washington state.

Save    
Judy Good

Oh Elmer.......

1 Like Save    
olychick

Yes, Lars, as well as outstanding Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese. You can find more of those restaurants in the more urban areas than authentic Mexican. We once had a governor of Chinese descent. His brother was my neighbor. I remember talking to him about Chinese restaurants in the PNW. He said that when Chinese immigrants would settle in an area, they would pool their resources so a family member could open a business and restaurants seemed to be the ticket to success. Once the restaurant was successful, they would help fund another family member to open another restaurant, but in another community so as not to compete. That's why you can find great Chinese (and some not so great) in so many little towns across the PNW. Really remote towns with no real Chinese community, except the restaurateurs and their families.

Save    
olychick

Judy, he can't help himself, lol.

5 Likes Save    
Lars

I've had really good Thai and Vietnamese food in Seattle, as well as Greek and Lebanese, which is normally only found in port cities, since Greece and Phoenicia are known for their ships and shipping.

Seattle is also very good for seafood, which I love. Food and restaurants are what I liked best about Seattle, and I didn't care whether it had Mexican food when I was there, since for me, that is more common. Greek and Lebanese food are more difficult to find, and they are my favorite cuisines.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Why Your Kitchen Wants Its Own iPad
Cooking-school gateway, recipe database, foodie networking ... an iPad in the kitchen has uses far beyond being a message center
Full Story
Most Popular Trending: 13 Warm, Inviting Kitchens You’d Want to Wake Up To
Some of the most popular kitchen photos uploaded to Houzz in summer 2018 offer a recipe for creating a welcoming design
Full Story
Kitchen Design Love to Cook? We Want to See Your Kitchen
Houzz Call: Show us a photo of your great home kitchen and tell us how you’ve made it work for you
Full Story