Please put me on this jury . . .

Lulu Smith

Father charged after fighting, shooting at man he found in daughter’s bedroom

"After a Coweta County man found a stranger inside his 14-year-old daughter’s bedroom, he took matters into his own hands to protect his family, according to investigators.

He punched, pistol-whipped and shot at the alleged invader, who was attempting to run away, according to authorities. In the end, both the protective father and the stranger face charges.

Ismael Casillas Padilla Sr., 41, was charged with aggravated assault and aggravated battery for attacking 20-year-old Keywontrezes Humphries, who faces a child molestation charge, according to the Coweta County Sheriff’s Office.

The incident, which took place on the Fourth of July, sparked controversy surrounding Padilla’s arrest. In a sign of support for the father, hundreds of people tried to donate more than $10,000 to Padilla through a GoFundMe page.

However, that page has since been deleted because it violated the platform’s terms of service, according to a GoFundMe spokeswoman. The specific violation was not specified. All donations were refunded.

While investigators sympathize with the father, they said he went too far by chasing a man who was no longer an immediate threat to his family’s safety, according to the sheriff’s office.

The ordeal began when Padilla was told by a neighbor that a strange vehicle was blocking her driveway, the sheriff’s office said in a news release. The home’s location within unincorporated Coweta County was not disclosed.

When he checked out the vehicle, he noticed that his daughter’s bedroom window was open. When he went into the room to investigate, he found Humphries standing at the foot of the bed, the release said.

A struggle ensued, which led Humphries to jump through the already open window and try to run away, the release said. Padilla asked for his wife to get his gun and he gave chase.

He was able to catch Humphries, which is when he struck the man with his gun several times, knocking out a few of his teeth, the release said. Padilla allegedly told the man that he would kill him and fired several shots at him as he ran to his vehicle and drove away.

Humphries drove to his hometown of Eatonton, where he went to Putnam County General Hospital, the release said. He later told investigators that he met a girl online and believed she was 18 years old, which led him to drive to her home.

Both men were arrested and later bonded out of the Coweta County jail, according to the sheriff’s office. No other information on the incident was released."

I'm glad the father missed when he fired his gun though. I'd rather this child molester go to jail. Child molesters don't do well in jail.

https://www.ajc.com/news/cops-man-charged-after-fighting-shooting-at-man-he-found-in-daughters-bedroom/UCFAVTVYA5AEXN7ZJHLBGGK4AU/

SaveComment28Like1
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

Woo-hoo! Based on what we know right now, I'm on dad's side.

Save    
foodonastump

Apparently it’s only ok for cops to shoot fleeing people in the back.

Emotionally I’m on the dad’s side. Might have been better off killing him. The law is probably against him. Hope for an understanding judge.

Save    
Gizmo

I hope for the dad's sake, there is no evidence the girl did say she was 18...and did invite Humphries into her house.

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

This is why they outlawed lynching

1 Like Save    
chisue

Why was DD 'online'...soliciting? (Not that I buy the perp's story!)

Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

In many states, this would be considered a crime of passion (i.e., the shooting of the perp), and no charges would be filed against the father, even if he pursued the man after he was no longer a threat.

Save    
Gizmo

chisue

Why was DD 'online'...soliciting? (Not that I buy the perp's story!)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What's unusual, maybe the girl has a sex life and wanted a hookup/bootycall?

What if the guy was a 14yrs old boy she invited in and they were going to have some sexy time?

As an aside, isn't it catnip to some girls to have an older guy interested in them?

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Gizmo, not sure that blaming the underage girl is really appropriate

4 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

I could not find anything in the story worthy of eliciting a "Woo-hoo! " There are a lot of wrongs, from both sides, to go around.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

Georgia law draws a line on continuing actions against an intruder once they are no longer a threat and, in this case, fleeing down the road.

Investigators also charged Humphries with child molestation. They say he was in a relationship with the 14-year-old girl and climbed through her bedroom window.

https://www.fox6now.com/news/angry-georgia-father-arrested-after-finding-man-in-14-year-old-daughters-bedroom

Apparently the daughter has called him her boyfriend but that does not absolve him of interfering with an underage girl.

2 Likes Save    
ImWithJoe

so....random guy drives 2 hours, parks car near the house, magically knows which window to enter through, which begs the question - did daughter lure him there, open the window, and invite him in...... there is more to this story.

without knowing more, it sounds like dad’s anger may have been better directed at his daughter. that said, if the guy knew she was 14, i agree he deserved a whooping of some sort.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

What if someone else was shot? Why not call the police? Since no one was imminently in danger then let the professionals deal with it. This is the exact thing police are for. Get the plate number.

1 Like Save    
Gizmo

HamiltonGardener

Gizmo, not sure that blaming the underage girl is really appropriate

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not blaming, just raising the possibility all isn't necessarily what it seems.

Reality, teens do have sex in their parent's house.

If he knew she was under age and did break into her room...throw the book at him

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

If the story regarding the underage daughter and her online activity is verified by authorities, the daughter may need protection from her father.

2 Likes Save    
steve2416

I'm always amused when people say that child molesters will be dealt with in prison. Our prison had quite a large population of sex perverts of many ages. They live quietly and for the most part the other inmates are glad of it. I worked in that prison for 7 years and saw 1 fight which had nothing to do with ages or even something that happened on the outside.

2 Likes Save    
FinallyHome

There no way the father would have been aware of the Georgia law regarding a fleeing felon. Now, if that had been in Texas, no way he would have been charged.

1 Like Save    
olychick

And the perp believed she was 18 yet had to crawl through her bedroom window instead of the door? 14 year old girl doesn’t “lure” an adult man. Or even if she tried, his responsibility is to walk away. Most often a young girl has been groomed by an adult man.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I’ve wondered about that, Steve, thanks. Always sounded to me like a feel good fantasy.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I find the desire for prison justice disturbing. Letting the criminals run the place is hardly a recipe for security. I always take comfort from Steve's informed position on it.

This is a strange story but I still stick by get the license plate number and call the police.

2 Likes Save    
Lulu Smith

"This is a strange story but I still stick by get the license plate number and call the police."

Would you do this before exploring the open window in your daughter's room?

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

I think we should send a recent graduate of Women's Studies out to investigate these incidences in the future.

I think we should send a recent graduate of Women's Studies and Sociology the next time a crack addict's boyfriend/baby father beats her up and tears up the place and she calls the popo which aren't funded and instead will have jobs in nice neighborhoods protecting homeowners where wealthy suburbanites bake them cookies and pay them twice what they made dealing with crazy crack addicts and their abusive boyfriends/baby fathers.

I think justice will truly be served under those circumstances, except for the babies.

I say do it, let's give the left exactly what they want. What a social experiment!

Oh well, abortion/crazy boyfriend/baby father, what's the difference, eh?

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Snap a picture when you see the vehicle and notice your daughters window is open. Takes a second. He had to access the fact the window was open, He could have just told his neighbor to take the number as he ran to his house. How about that? Easy.

Ignoring Stans diatribe as irrelevant.

You have people for this. You dont have to do it yourself and in this case every evidence that your daughter is complicit. Is she conned and confused? You need your local police to decide that. Shooting and missing and possibly killing someone else is not a good answer.

Save    
Iris GW

Love how conservatives are jumping on this guy while in many other situations it's a matter of let's explore all the facts before we judge him. Doesn't this guy deserve his day in court (now that the guy didn't kill him first).

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

I would think it strange if my daughter’s window was not open. Do people not open their windows anymore?!?!

Seeing a strange car in the neighbourhood isn’t odd either. Is the natural reaction really to go and seek assistance from a neighbour? And then to automatically assume that the car has anything to do with the open window and rush up to the bedroom?

I think the true story of the father’s assault hasn’t been told here and I think daughter has some splainin to do.

Yeah the guy is a creep if he approached a 14 year old knowing she was 14 but some kids do mature early and there isn’t much age difference between 18 (which he allegedly thought her to be), or even 17, and 20.

I find the open window story suspicious and I don’t support him in chasing someone down and firing a gun in a residential neighbourhood.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

A/C would have been on, if it were my house.

You may question why multiple people thought there was something suspicious, who knows what’s normal or abnormal in their neighborhood. But the fact of the matter is their instincts were obviously right.

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

“But the fact of the matter is their instincts were obviously right.”

With all due respect I don’t think it is a fact or obvious that their instincts were right.

To me, it sounds more like dad got (justifiably) outraged about an agreed-upon (not to say consensual as a minor cannot consent to a sex act with an adult) liaison.

He allegedly witnessed a man standing at the foot of his daughter’s bed. Unless she was performing a sex act on him, where does the molestation come in?

To fall back on an anachronistic trope: why wasn’t the daughter screaming her head off when there was a strange man who came through her bedroom window? Or running from the room? Was she sleeping? If so, again, how can molestation be proved?

Save    
foodonastump

What I meant was he/they were right in that something was “off”. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding why he was there.

2 Likes Save    
George Davis

Who's under age in this country. In this advertised life style of the rock star rich and famous. We got computers that talk to each other and can be anyone we wish. It's that meeting in person where things get "sticky". Hell, the wifey wentch is 70yrs old and still looks in her early thirties. What we thought of before is no longer true in the present and 20 is not that much different from 14 and she looks the part. But really we tell jokes about daddy finding a man in his babies bedroom.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
More Rooms Tech in Design: Where to Put Your Flat-Screen TV
By Pangaea
Popcorn, please: Enjoy all the new shows with a TV in the best place for viewing
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: White Cabinets With a Big Island, Please!
Designers help a growing Chicago-area family put together a simple, clean and high-functioning space
Full Story
Dens and Libraries These Rooms Put the Allure of Books Front and Center
Immerse yourself in a collection of book-filled rooms that indulge a passion for the printed page
Full Story
We're here to serve you no matter how large or small your project needs are. From major renovations to quick home... Read More