Josephine Cox--Is she worth reading?

ginny12

Today there was an obituary for writer Josephine Cox. I had never heard of her but the obit made her life sound interesting. She didn't write great literature, I gather, but thought I might try one of her books. Has anyone ever read any of her books and would you recommend one--or not?

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annpanagain

The name was familiar so I had a look at her book list and cannot recall reading any. I then went to our Retirement Village library and saw there were a number of her titles available.

Reading the back cover summaries makes me think they are what I would find in the "Relationship Genre" section in a Public Library so not my cup of tea!

The kind of stories that are on TV programs in the afternoon.

Save     Thanked by ginny12
vee_new

I've never read anything by Josephine Cox as the 'Northern (English) poverty, rape, incest . . . love' are not really my thing, but she was an extremely popular writer over here. My DD when working in a large London PR firm was asked to 'represent' her but I think the costs involved were too high . . . and I'm sure she didn't need the extra publicity. I remember DD phoned and asked me what I had read of JC's as no-one in the office was familiar with her work.

Ginny, I would suggest you just borrow a book to see if the style/content is something you might enjoy.

Obit Josephine Cox

Save     Thanked by ginny12
ginny12

Thanks for those replies. These books don't sound like something I'd want to read. A big help--thanks again.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Homes Around the World World of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
By Houzz
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
Life Houzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
Kitchen Design Not a Big Cook? These Fun Kitchen Ideas Are for You
Would you rather sip wine and read than cook every night? Consider these kitchen amenities
Full Story