I have to share this

HU-274840647

Friedrich Nietzsche once said “ those dancing were once considered insane by those who couldn’t hear the music “ we associate him with nihilism but this could have been said by Little Richard

SaveComment44Like2
Comments (44)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

He also said, in Also Sprach Zarathustra:

"Sollte es denn möglich sein! Dieser alte Heilige hat in seinem Walde noch Nichts davon gehört, dass Gott todt ist!“

which is one of his most famous quotes.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Lars, I had to have DH tell me what that meant. My primitive German wont suit.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Nicht todt, heutzutage vielleicht etwas schwer zu finden.

2 Likes Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

Google can also translate it for you.

A lot of Nietzsche's writings (especially his later ones) use simple, poetic language, and so he is much easier to comprehend than someone like Hegel or Schopenhauer.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Since this thread is for sharing:

Great show on Netflix called "Ozark"

Save    
Lulu Smith

I find Marcus Aurelius more relevant.

Save    
foodonastump

Since this thread is for sharing:

My wife and son were fascinated by the show on the rise of AOC, on Netflix I believe. I might catch it.

Also a PBS special on Alex Jones and how Trump and the RW have come to embrace conspiracy theorists and fake news.

Save    
queenmargo

Notice:

Next up for me to watch is "Sharp Objects" on Netflix

Save    
queenmargo

OH- I have to share this. I have a new friend. I call her "The lady". She comes almost every day to see me. I give her treats and she is coming closer and closer, Yesterday she was about 3 feet from me;))

5 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Please if you love her stop with the treats. It makes her a target when hunting or if there is a necessary culling because of overpopulation happens.

7 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Looks tasty.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

maifleur- she is living in a no hunting area. I live in the burbs.

As far as over population, we already have had that for years. I live with the herds;)

She mostly eats my Hostas.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

She mostly eats my Hostas.

So... You’re saying you set out a buffet line for her?

Save    
queenmargo

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I give her apples and corn.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

You have to be careful on what you feed them. Their digestive track is pretty much set to what they eat in nature. People here feed them apples and bananas. I give them bread. She'll be eating out of your hand in no time. :^)

1 Like Save    
KarenS, NYC

Brilliant, 'cause we all know how often deer come in contact w/ bread & bananas in Nature.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

(Not sure about bananas though)

Save    
foodonastump

Found banana

Save    
lurker111

Try it with blue java bananas. They eat all of mine.

Save    
moosemac(Z5 NH / Z3-4 ME)

Please don't feed the deer. Here is what can happen even when you have good intentions.

https://www.wmur.com/article/12-deer-found-dead-in-south-hampton-after-being-fed-by-residents/5198718

3 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Should be ok to feed them some hostas though.

Well, maybe not from Margo’s point of view, but the deer are good with it!!!

3 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I give her apples and corn.

For dessert? nyuk.

Deer pass through our yard nightly here, watch them on the camera recording every morning. I place some chicken wire on the ground around what I don't want them to eat as they cannot stand to walk on it. That leaves them to mainly munch on fallen fruits and the lower leaves of some fruit trees. My primary objection to deer (squirrels are much worse) is that they leave behind deer ticks in their wake. I've already been through one bout of Lyme disease, once was enough.

2 Likes Save    
sam_md

Garlic Mustard is what you will have in areas frequented by deer. Once established it is very difficult to eradicate.

Save    
Moxie(Z4 St. Paul, MN)

We have a herd of 6-8 deer even though this is a city neighborhood. Some of my neighbors have huge lots. You'd think the deer would stay in those yards, but they don't. I asked a neighbor who has been here for decades if there were always deer. She said they came to stay when a former neighbor feed them and had a salt lick. Both are illegal in the city limits now. All of them will come within 10 or fewer feet of adult humans and cars. This morning I had to go out to a border to move two fauns along. One was tasting a fothergilia! The other was sniffing rhubarb. They weren't the least bit concerned about me until I was in swatting range. They won't live long unless they develop better survival instincts.

1 Like Save    
studio10001

I was about to say your yard looked great, Margo, until I read further! So far so good, if she is alone. They get their own apples in my yard - and the hydrangea, and the hosta, and then they wake me up every night w sex screaming. See what you have to look forward to ? :))

1 Like Save    
Marigold

We have loads of deer here. After planting all kinds of flowers, the only one that seems to be deer proof is marigolds. My yard is full of them (hence my name here). I find it easier not to fight them. This is a pic of one of the babies this year.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

She has left most of my yard in tact studio.

Here are a few pics, The Lady sleeps by the hammock;)

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Marigold- those look like Shasta Daisies or some form of daisies, but not marigolds.

1 Like Save    
Marigold

yes, you are right. I probably worded that badly. They stay away from the marigolds, so that is what I use around the house. The fawn is hiding in a field of oxeye daisies that grow wild

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg(6)

Individually deer are pretty, all babies are cute. But yeah, their population so easily gets out of hand and they overgraze the land, leading to a serious dearth of native plants. Now if we had enough wolves to go around ... no, that won't work in suburbia. There's answers we could live with but not enough of us care to learn about ecosystems.

1 Like Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

Having grown up in southern Germany I'm used to deer being part of rural or small town life. If I recall correctly they were kept in check with regular hunts. We enjoyed watching them but never tried to entice them directly with food/treats. I do admit to allowing the key deer in the Keys to snag whatever they pleased from the outside breakfast table...

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

I would find it difficult to hunt anything that couldn't hunt me back. Aside from the ungodly screaming, I love having them ( the deer) about. Beautiful photos, you two - Margo, great landscaping job!

Sorry, Lars. :)

1 Like Save    
gettingnowhere

Margo and marigold, love your landscaping. We just moved outside the city semi-rural. Plenty of deer, last winter, sadly one probably got hurt and died on our property. I was beside myself, but neighbours told me to leave it as it would feed other wildlife, including coyotes. Of course, they were right.

2 Likes Save    
batyabeth

I'll trade you deer for herds of wild pigs. I kinda like them though, and last night as I was out on the porch three teen pigs came through the bushes, crossed the yard, snorting and suffling, and quickly went out the other side towards their path home. They don't like to eat any of the flowers I have on ground level in pots, but all veggies must be in pots on a wall high up. Planting an in-ground veggie garden or aything with bulbs or tubers is asking for trouble. I try to tell passing neighbors to just let 'em be, as they're more scared of us than we are of them. The babies are sweet, the teens are, well, teenagers who get into all sorts of things and actually play, and the adults are big as a bus, but fairly placid unless you threaten their babies or frighten them...... just like us.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Well, this thread took a pleasant turn from where it started. :^)

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

marigold- another question. If your name is marigold , then why do you show a daisy as your avatar?

Save    
Marigold

"marigold- another question. If your name is marigold , then why do you show a daisy as your avatar?"

Queenmargo, I am not sure it is relevant, but I like flowers, both marigolds and daisies. I could question you about your name. Are you royalty? Gay? Perhaps you just liked the sound of the name, and that is good enough for me. :)

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

I took the night off to sleep and see several comments about living in the burbs or in no hunting areas. I live in the burbs and until two years ago the woods across the street from me was closed in October through December for a bow hunt to thin the deer. When you start seeing ribs on the deer or they start developing diseases the state conservation department works with communities to reduce the population. I had 9 in one group and 11 young bucks in another group in my yard one night last winter. That is too many for them to stay healthy. Starving or having one of the hemorrhagic diseases that are common in this part of the state is not something that anyone wants to see. CWD is common 4-5 counties to the east-northeast of this one. Also something that you do not want.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Queenmargo, I am not sure it is relevant, but I like flowers, both marigolds and daisies. I could question you about your name. Are you royalty? Gay? Perhaps you just liked the sound of the name, and that is good enough for me. :)

Touche- and a big LOL. Thanks I needed that! ;))

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

marigold- not all my questions are meant to be snarky, lol. I am just a person who likes to ask questions. .... I am still laughing......

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Oh my! Off with her head! (just kidding) :^)

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I' ll happily exchange my morning visitor for Marigolds or QM' s

4 Likes Save    
batyabeth

ok, bears win over pigs or deer!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kids’ Spaces Share Tactics: Great Ideas for Shared Kids' Rooms
Maintain peace and maybe even inspire togetherness with decorating strategies from a designer with seven grandchildren
Full Story
Kids’ Spaces Working Solutions for Shared Kids' Spaces
See how siblings of different ages and genders can share a room in style
Full Story