Americans enroute to Alaska through Canada will have new restrictions

Marigold

They will be given a hang-tag with a time limit on it, plus are directed to avoid tourism areas, eat in restaurants and National Parks. I am delighted they are closing the loophole https://bc.ctvnews.ca/6-americans-fined-in-b-c-as-federal-government-closes-alaska-loophole-at-borders-1.5045526?fbclid=IwAR3Dz87HFCmI8i84tiQpv6sz0P1JcCDQ6quC4XUCXwFIvo7GFCgbpJw8nUQ

SaveComment41Like
Comments (41)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blfenton

I hope there is a GPS tracker in those hang-tags so they can be traced and followed.

I saw a Washington plate in the Safeway parking lot yesterday and that Safeway is not on the route to Alaska, but I listed to Dr. Bonnie Henry's voice in my head and just assumed there was a reason it was there.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Marigold
ubro(2a)

Dr. Bonnie is emerging as the voice of reason within this pandemic.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Marigold
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Bahaha haha

That’s great.

I wonder how many of the people who lied to create that “loophole” believe themselves to be fine upstanding citizens?

I wonder how many want a border wall to protect them from the “riffraff” to their south?

Ironic.

sleeperblues(3-wisonsin)

My nephew left the military in Alaska and drove home with all of his belongings. He said that he was denied gasoline in smaller towns. The Canadians ain't messing around. Luckily for him he had gas cans with him and was able to make it to where he was allowed to buy gas.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Marigold
jmm1837

The people genuinely heading to Alaska, or back home, fine; the rest are just illegals and Canadians aren't any fonder of having illegals roaming their country than Americans are.

Marigold

The fine will be up to $750,000.
Just today they are talking about a Texan who was sport fishing here and scooped a newborn seal, thinking it had been abandoned. He tried to care for it, then phoned his wife in Texas, who phoned conservation, who came and got it. They think it will survive, but it is dehydrated and malnourished now.
Mothers leave their pups to feed and then return. It didn't need rescue at all. I guess when you are sneaking in, you don't ask the locals for advice to see if you are helping or harming. Sad.
I hope he faces some consequences for it.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

So what is the status of all of those Canadians that were working in the US, across the border, some people here had relatives working in the NE, I believe New York.

Did they have to pick a side and stay?

Are they traveling back to their jobs?

1 Like Save    

Did they have to pick a side and stay?

Yes.

Are they traveling back to their jobs?

Potentially, if they are essential workers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-rules-and-restrictions-covid-19-travel-1.5619268

Save     Thanked by Marigold
elvis

So lindsey, you are saying "yes, pick a side and stay" and "but not if you are an essential worker". So "no, don't pick a side and stay".

Save    
jmm1837

I believe she is saying that, if you are a Canadian with a work permit to work in the US or, an American with a permit to work in Canada, but not in an essential job, you choose whether to stay where the job is or where home is. You don't get to commute back and forth unless you're an essential worker. Makes sense.

nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Please ask those USians to pay their fines in US dollars -- not really justice asking them to pay in the weaker Canadian dollar.

Elizabeth

Is it correct to assume the same restrictions apply if travelling though Ontario and Quebec to get to Maine? I love that route.

Save    
Nana H

Elizabeth, there is no access for Americans through Ontario and Quebec to Maine because there is an available land route that goes through the States. The border is closed. The exception for Alaska is because there is no other way to Alaska, by road, except through Canada.

lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

"Is it correct to assume the same restrictions apply if travelling though Ontario and Quebec to get to Maine? I love that route."

I don't know the official bits, but if I lived in Maine I would welcome you and not heap a bunch of hate on you because you're a Canadian.

By the way, swing by Wiscasset, go to Red's Eats, and have the BEST lobster roll anywhere on the planet. They'll welcome you too.

It IS a pretty route. Cold for most of the year, but pretty.

ETA: Oops. I misunderstood the question. Borders are closed (although I would still welcome visitors coming through, but that's just me). And, I assumed you were asking as a Canadian. I'll let the rest be and go back to work now.

gettingnowhere

Just don’t get why so many Americans want to come north At this time. The USA is a tremendous country with lots of beauty and so many regions to explore. Can you not stay out of Canada, we have worked so hard to mitigate this virus, our economy might even be OK, real estate market is doing great, schools are safely re-opening.

Are you coming up north cause you want us back in lockdown, or experience the virus in the same unfettered way as yourselves? I just don’t get it, please stay home, visit your great, vast country and support your economy.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Marigold

“Pick a side and stay” and “unless you are an essential worker” are only contradictory if a person can only see the world as a dichotomy.

Marigold

"...I don't know the official bits, but if I lived in Maine I would welcome
you and not heap a bunch of hate on you because you're a Canadian..."
Lionheart, I think for most, it is not hate, it is fear. When I see a US license plate at one of our beaches, it makes me wonder if the person is there legitimately. Many are, but I worry about the ones who aren't.
If they are willing to lie to the border guard and ignore the rules about using a direct route to Alaska, what other rules are they breaking?

1 Like Save    
gettingnowhere

Canadians living or working in USA, can return home. But they must quarantine for 14 days. Only essential workers are exempt.

We know a few cottage owners, living less than 1 mile from their property, who are furious as they cannot boat across the St Lawrence to enjoy their cottages.

elvis

sleeperblues(3-wisonsin)

My nephew left the military in Alaska and drove home with all of his belongings. He said that he was denied gasoline in smaller towns. The Canadians ain't messing around. Luckily for him he had gas cans with him and was able to make it to where he was allowed to buy gas.

I'm glad your nephew made it home to the States, safely.

One would think that the folks in those "smaller towns", who denied him gasoline so that he could get the heck out of Canada, would have had the brains to realize that he wouldn't be able to continue his journey if he had no fuel. Duh!

sleeperblues(3-wisonsin)

Elvis, thank you for the well wishes. I know, doesn't make sense and I couldn't wrap my head around that either. But it did happen to him. He must have been forewarned to have full gas can with him. Driving with full gas cans, yeesh. A horror waiting to happen.

gettingnowhere

@sleeper, so sorry to hear of your nephew’s treatment. Generally, northern folk are friendly to all. May I ask what specific province or area where this occurred. Just curious.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

I’m curious how all of these gas stations managed to deny him gas.

i don’t think there are any full serve stations any more. All your nephew had to do was pull up, tap his card, fill up with gas, and leave. They wouldn’t even KNOW he had American plates.

How did he happen to find and entire province of full serve gas stations?

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Marigold
Nana H

I had the same thought HG......full service gas stations are few and far between and unlike in the States most gas stations do not require any type of pre payment before filling. At least they didn't used to...maybe that has changed.

HamiltonGardener

Tap your card, it’s prepaid. You just fill.

Dont have any sort of card, just paying cash? You fill the tank, walk in and pay. They wouldn’t refuse your cash.

I haven’t seen any sort of prepay arrangement in years either.

Nana H

Machines do not take American credit cards. You have to have a Canadian card OR pay cash. However, like you, I have not seen any gas stations that require you go in any pay before filling up.

HamiltonGardener

Yes, they do take any Visa or MasterCard, American or Canadian. Americans come here all the time and tap.

Nana H

OK you are right......Now that I think about it the reason Canadian credit cards are not accepted at Gas stations in the States is because you have to enter your ZIP code , a Canadian PAC code is not recognized. There is no such requirement here.

The bank actually gave us a formula that translates our Canadian PAC code to a recognizable and acceptable ZIP code. Now we can use our Canadian credit card at almost all gas stations in the States......not that I'm expecting we will be doing that anytime soon : (

BC provincial law requires pre-payment before filling.

But if he was driving from Alaska he would encounter many small gas stations that could refuse him service if they don’t have pay at the pump and he came in to pay, but then I question whether they did. It doesn’t seem likely that they would pass up that revenue AND have him stranded in town if the objection was to the COVID risk. If he can’t leave town he’s sure as heck more likely to pass on the virus, right?

More likely he drove through late or on a Sunday and they were just closed. Has happened to us many times especially through Saskatchewan and Montana. You quickly learn to fill up every chance you get even if you filled up twenty miles earlier.

gettingnowhere

Unfortunately, there is hostility in BC with regard to American license plates. This is not typical, however, upon hearing of so many Americans lying just to visit Canada, then not following quarantine rules, is indeed infuriating. Sadly, the unsuspecting may be subjected to dangerous retaliation. Such as having lug nuts loosened. Whereas, some Canadians with USA plates are enlightening others as to their circumstances. https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/306566/Sign-on-car-I-am-Canadian

amicus

A Canadian who works in the U.S. can cross the border daily to go to work, however, they must go directly to work once they cross the border, and come directly back to Canada, once they leave work. My SIL's brother works for a company (in a 'non essential' service) in the U.S. and travels to work there daily. (He did work from home until about a month ago.) But he is not allowed to stop at a store or any other place of business, while he is there. The excerpt below lists criteria that allows even 'non essential' workers to cross the border for work, if that has been their normal routine, but they must follow restrictions to maintain the right to cross over to work.

Exemptions to travel restrictions

The continued global movement of goods and people and the ongoing delivery of essential services will be important for Canada's response to COVID-19.

Several categories of people are exempted from this order because they provide critical services, if they have no symptoms. These include people who:

• are making necessary medical deliveries required for patient care, such as:
    • cells
    • organs
    • tissues
    • blood and blood products
    • other similar lifesaving human body parts
  • work in the trade and transportation sector who are important for the movement of goods and people, including:
    • truck drivers
    • crew on any plane, train or marine vessel
  • cross the border regularly to go to work, including in the health care sector or critical infrastructure workers
  • have to cross the border to provide or receive essential services, including emergency responders and personnel providing essential services to Canadians related to the COVID-19 outbreak

Workers in these sectors should:

Should they exhibit any symptoms, they must isolate and contact their local public health authority.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

elvis

Sleeper, looks like some consider your nephew a teller of tall tales. Ah well.

Save    
Nana H

Not true at all Elvis, it's just not making sense so perhaps there is more to the story. You often muse in a similar manner....no ?

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Actually, Im definitely saying that. I think the truth has been stretched like old fashioned taffy.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

My ex-sil, who is Canadian, lives in Blaine and crosses the border daily for work and she is not an essential worker but is the sole salary so maybe that makes her allowed in . But if I was a border agent and saw her facebook pictures of her partying with no physical distancing and no masks and given Washingtons latest numbers I sure wouldn't let her in.

1 Like Save    
sleeperblues(3-wisonsin)

I doubt he's lying about it, and it just came up in casual conversation about why he had gas cans in his car. I know it was in BC. He said the boonies, but I didn't want to offend any Canadians with that verbiage. So in the lesser populated areas of BC. He said he drove into one gas station and the guy just shook his head at him before he even went in. Believe or not, I don't care. Just relaying his experience. What reason would there be to lie about it?

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

One would think that the folks in those "smaller towns", who denied him gasoline so that he could get the heck out of Canada, would have had the brains to realize that he wouldn't be able to continue his journey if he had no fuel. Duh!

It is possible that some of these owners did not have much of an income during Covid, they need to have the cash to pay for the next fuel delivery so it is quite plausible that rationing was in place. Northern BC is not highly populated so having fuel for locals in an emergency is very important.

I went on a trip North of here, got to a gas station and no gas. The truck came the day before and they did not have the cash to pay so it headed back to where it came from, so did we. People who head north, where towns are small and stations are few always carry a few jerrycans of their own.

blfenton

There are a number of reasons that your nephew may have gotten a head shake. There may have been no fuel, pumps may have been down, who knows. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary conclusions being drawn. Depending where in the north you are it is very desolate and unpopulated. Given that your nephew was in Alaska that is something that he has lived in and understands.

“He said the boonies, but I didn't want to offend any Canadians with that verbiage. So in the lesser populated areas of BC. He said he drove into one gas station and the guy just shook his head at him before he even went in. Believe or not, I don't care. Just relaying his experience. What reason would there be to lie about it?”

-“boonies” isn’t offensive and I doubt your nephew meant it that way. It’s a well-known term all across North America. If he was in the Canadian boonies (where people tend toward rugged individualism and conservative values) it’s even less likely that he was waved on due to COVID travel restrictions.

-I don’t think he was lying and I don’t think you were. I think there were inferences made that wouldn’t be made by anyone who has ever lived in the North. That includes your nephew; I bet he didn’t say it was because of his Alaska plates, right? Carrying jerrycans is standard. A service station operator waving you past because there’s no gas to be had there is standard. Neither has anything to do with COVID travel restrictions or Canada-USA relations, or the feelings of British Columbians in general toward Americans in general.

-of course I could be totally wrong and the station operator could be a die-hard stickler for provincial and federal rules and regulations who wanted to stick it to the Yank and is terrified of catching American COVID germs.

ubro(2a)

I don't live in the boonies, but I can see if from here. Your nephews words are not offensive, but thanks for caring.

The head shake before you get out of your car and waste your time, or in Covid times, come too close, would be appropriate if there is no gas to sell.

sleeperblues(3-wisonsin)

I love Canada, have traveled all over her. Some of my best memories were in Quebec province back in about 1970, in the summer, it was cold and windy and rainy. There were women who had stone ovens on their rural properties and would sell the most beautiful, delicious warm bread out on the road. And they would make their own butter, too. My parents would stop and buy two loaves, one of which was immediately devoured by 5 ravenous kids. The windows would fog up in the car as we munched on the bread. Then there were our teenage years and the family camping trip to Banff and Jasper. Climbing those majestic mountains, walking on Athabasca (is the glacier even there anymore?) driving though the icefields parkway. Meeting the Canadian boys who actually said "eh".

Since nephew is staying with us, I gently probed him with questions last night regarding this gas issue. I didn't want him to know I was blabbing on the internet about his adventures. I don't think he knows if there just was no gas, or if it was because of his Alaska license plates. He THINKS it was his plates. I don't think he had anyone specifically tell him they wouldn't sell to him because he was American.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Marigold
gettingnowhere

@ sleeper, thank you for the kind words. Could it be, that he stopped in an Indian reservation. During our recent travels across Canada, some reserves were in complete lockdown. We, too were short on gas, tried to stop without success until we hit the next biggest town. We have B.C. plates.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 13 North American Backyard Birds to Know
Find out about these enchanting native species and learn how to attract them to your yard
Full Story
Gardening Guides Backyard Birds: Invite Entertaining Hummingbirds Into Your Garden
Hummingbirds — unique to the Americas — zip through open landscapes seasonally or year-round. Here’s how to attract them
Full Story
Gardening Guides Backyard Birds: Go Owling in October
These stealthy nocturnal hunters fill North American skies with their quiet wings and distinct calls
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Kitchen, Bath and Interior remodeling company featuring the latest bath and kitchen designs and the largest... Read More