Rep. Gohmert wonders if wearing a mask led to infection

dublinbay z6 (KS)

This Repub. representative was flaunting his bare face all over Capitol Hill for some time, but finally broke down and put on a mask.

Irony of ironies: He caught COVID-19.

Gohmert has a different explanation, however--one that makes him look rather stupid!

------------------------

"In a video message posted to Twitter on Wednesday afternoon, [Rep. Louie] Gohmert said he “can’t help but wonder” if he contracted the virus from adjusting his mask with his hands to fit properly.

“It is interesting, and I don’t know about everybody, but when I have a mask on, I’m moving it to make it comfortable,” he said. “And I can’t help but wonder if that put some germs in the mask.”

Gohmert was tested at the White House early Wednesday before he was due to accompany President Trump on a trip to Texas. News of his positive test was first reported by Politico.

[. . .]

“I’m asymptomatic,” he continued. “I don’t have any of the symptoms that are listed as part of COVID-19. But apparently I have the Wuhan virus.”

[. . .]

He also disputed reports that he wasn’t wearing a mask at Tuesday’s House Judiciary Committee hearing.

“I’ve worn a mask more the last week or two than I have in the last whole four months,” Gohmert said. “And I was wearing my mask at the Judiciary hearing.”

But he was seen at various points during the hearing without a face covering, and on video walking behind Attorney General William Barr in the hall without one."

https://news.yahoo.com/gohmert-coronavirus-covid-test-positive-white-house-mask-video-194506457.html

------------------

Hmm--makes him appear stupid AND a liar?

People like this are making the laws that govern our nation?

Help!

Kate

SaveComment19Like4
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catspa_zone9sunset14

If you excluded Gohmert's score, the collective, average IQ of Congress would probably rise by multiple points...

4 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Dumb to start with and burned out whatever he had left with Donnie Dew.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I certainly understand his point. While I'm a religious mask wearer, I find that especially if doing anything where I need to breathe deeply (yoga for example), I need to pull it away from my nose occasionally to take a deep breath. It's a lot of touching the outside of the mask and then breathing the air right near where one's hands just were.

I watched almost the entire Barr hearing and, of course, Nadler was on camera much of the time. His hands rarely left his mask, with constant on, off and adjusting. As I've said, these situations have recently made me begin to wonder too. Typically, I'm excellent at never touching my face with my hands, but masks seem to present all sorts of situations in which it is necessary to touch the outside of the mask.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

Yes, Ann. Wearing/using a mask correctly is key.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

If Gohmert were "religious" about wearing his mask, he might have a valid point to make, but as been noted by a number of people--especially photographers with many pics of Gohmert bare-faced at times during those same days--there were plenty of opportunities for Gohmert to pick up any stray coronaviruses floating in the general vicinity of his breathing passages.

The implication that without his mask, he probably wouldn't have been infected is pure poppycock.

Kate

3 Likes Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

Yes, Ann. Wearing/using a mask correctly is key.

I would argue that, based on scientific evidence, it is wearing masks, period, that is key, regardless of whether or not each individual is doing it "correctly". A certain percentage in any population is not going to wear their masks entirely correctly but, considering that fomite transmission is not the primary (and probably even a relatively minor) mode of transmission with Covid-19, especially when we're talking about the exterior side of a mask, I don't think it matters so much, and the data are indicative of that.

Considering how many photos there are of Gohmert talking with people in close quarters without a mask in recent days (he wasn't wearing a mask when he was with Barr on Tuesday), I think it extremely unlikely that touching his mask was where he got the virus.

One study:

6 Likes Save    
Ann

Agreed Kate, I'm a fan of mask wearing. But, mask adjusting is common and, often, necessary. Again, watching Nadler was a good example and I think he needed to make all those adjustments for even minor comfort. I've certainly been giving the topic a lot of thought for the last week or so as I've noticed me and others having a fairly frequent need to breathe more deeply or adjust for another reason. Since mask wearing is such a part of our lives now, I've been both noticing and pondering lately.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Well, if Nadler gets sick then you can say you predicted that mask adjusting is not good.

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I would try a new mask if the ones I had required constant adjustment. I make ours and DH wants more space inside his. I will make some to accommodate this. They are shaped with seams down the front that holds the mask away from your face. I know you can purchase stiffened masks that dont conform to your face as well. It does take time to adjust to wearing them but it is important to get through that. Wear them at home.

2 Likes Save    
nickel_kg(6)

The scariest thing about all these fools in positions of authority is that THEY CANNOT and WILL NOT LEARN -- EVEN BASIC STUFF. Like washing hands, social distancing, wearing masks. Good grief and we expect people like this to make decisions for our country, about complicated issues with complex variables?! Yikes now I need to take some deep breaths. Good thing I'm in my safe place.

6 Likes Save    
nickel_kg(6)

Echoing patriciae_gw: if your current mask gives you trouble, try another style.

There is no one single style that's going to suit every face. Take some initiative to keep yourself and your community safe, please.

4 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

These senior officials and aides should wear a mask, then see if they get fired for doing so.

Save    
socks(10a)

If the mask caused him to get the virus, and so that’s how it works, we would have a lot more than 150,000 dead. And doctors and nurses wouldn’t be wearing masks.

I wonder how many of his staff members will have the virus because of his foolishness.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

Nickel, I am on a mission to find the best fitting mask for me. I have one from a new source arriving today. I saw one of my grandchildren today, one where mask size has been a struggle but finally their mom found the perfect one for them and they'll now proceed with ordering several from the same place - for when school opens.

1 Like Save    
dadoes

1 Like Save    
petalique

❗️BREAKING❗️

Republican politician Louie Gohmert, who claims to have caught COVID-19 from wearing a mask, is now claiming he got pregnant after several people told him to go xxxx himself.

13 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Ha!

Save    
maddie260

And now to top it off, Gohmert states that his Covid treatment is between his physician and him and no one else’s business. Well, how about Gohmert affording women the same privacy?

6 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Call How Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story
Most Popular The Polite House: On ‘No Shoes’ Rules and Breaking Up With Contractors
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives us advice on no-shoes policies and how to graciously decline a contractor’s bid
Full Story
Pets So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Our operating philosophy as consulting engineers is based on the belief that each project has a unique solution... Read More
Our operating philosophy as consulting engineers is based on the belief that each project has a unique solution... Read More