Donnie wants to delay the election.

dandyfopp

The polling he is seeing must say BIDEN LANDSLIDE.

SaveComment119Like
Comments (119)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ubro(2a)

quelle surprise.

1 Like Save    
linaria_gw(zone 7 (about))

preparing the ground for refusing the election results...

3 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

It won't do him any good because it is just his opinion that vote by mail is insecure. States that have been voting by mail for many years with little- to- no-incidents of voter fraud are proof to the contrary.

8 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

It is making our headlines this morning. It sounds like he cannot delay the election and that it is up to Congress. It looks like the Dems taking congress is turning out to be valuable.

5 Likes Save    
seagrass_gw

I don't believe he cares about anyone's safety.

4 Likes Save    

that is so good to hear, bro, so if he could, he would try...

his harping about mail in vote is silly, several commentators guessed it was mostly strategic: smearing the method, later the results...

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I have no doubt in my mind he will try and do something to delay the election. If unsuccessful in doing that he will definitely say it was rigged and cause no end of issues. If he loses it's going to get really ugly....if he wins even uglier!

11 Likes Save    
palisades_

As they say, it’s the economy stupid. The incumbent knows that important factor.

Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

His term is up on January 20, 2021 regardless of whether the election is postponed or not. That is the one thing that actually IS in the Constitution. If it goes to succession, then someone figured out that it would be Patrick Leahy who becomes president.

8 Likes Save    
bfox254

He's a piece of work.

According to Trump, it's safe to go to work and school, but we should delay the election until it's safe.

23 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

This is what is known as a trial balloon

6 Likes Save    
Ann

"I have no doubt in my mind he will try and do something to delay the election."

My goodness, we certainly saw a heck of a lot of what you had "no doubt in" your "mind" about in 2016 as we walked down the prior election memory lane yesterday! Maybe a bit of doubt would be in order this time:)

3 Likes Save    
how2girl

He can’t delay the election & mail in voting and absentee voting are the same thing, so there’s that.

But how about the attempts to defund, close post offices, basically gut USPS, & the slowing down of mail services less than 100 days before Americans will be sending in their ballots - all while there’s a pandemic, when it would clearly be safer to do mail in voting.

15 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Perhaps the Trump supporters will take time to look at the history in traditionally GOP states of their "send-in" ballots experiences.

It is NOT a Dem plan for running elections.

We all know there is ample research that shows greater turn-out usually means more non-GOP votes cast.

But, there is GOOD NEWS in Trump's tweet. He is finally acknowledging it's dangerous out there.

6 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Also, notice he doesn't suggest implementing measures to ensure the "send-in" voting is well-done.

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Ann, your "Maybe a bit of doubt would be in order this time:)" is i appropriate. Many have made predictions and yet you keep returning to the one made by Nana years ago.

Save    
Kathy

I am not convinced there wasn’t votes that were tampered with in 2016. It would explain Trump begging for help now and the fact all the polls and exit polls were wrong last time. US used to be for fair elections, that is not the goal of the GOP. They believe in winning by any means.

7 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

The USPS could use the extra volume. Since the pandemic started my junk mail has decreased by at least 75%!

Some state congressional primaries are not held until early to mid September. Ballots would then need to be printed and mailed out pretty quickly.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

The end date for mail is they need to be in by Oct 20th. The mail will be at least 2 weeks behind per DNC. Trump will make sure of that.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

That was a notable series of many predictions (loaded with massive confidence and heavy snark, I'll add). Hardly, simple straightforward "predictions", like I think X will win the state of Y, as other people tend to make from time to time.

ETA: Sorry, I obviously typed slowly and this was meant to follow Ziemia's comment.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Sad

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

The predictions may have been on target. It may have been the voting that was manipulated. It isn’t impossible. If it was manipulated we are no longer in control of our elections. That would be the worst scenario and yet the GOP refuses to do anything about election security. Ask why!

7 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Ann

"I have no doubt in my mind he will try and do something to delay the election."

My goodness, we certainly saw a heck of a lot of what you had "no doubt in" your "mind" about in 2016 as we walked down the prior election memory lane yesterday! Maybe a bit of doubt would be in order this time:)

Well, if history is any indicator......LOL!

2 Likes Save    
bry911

From Henry Olsen April 27th -

Former vice president Joe Biden’s unfounded accusation Thursday that President Donald Trump wants to delay November’s election was not only clearly over the line but also unmasks how low the supposedly moderate Biden will go to win.

Biden said in an online fundraiser, “Mark my words, I think he is going to try to kick back the election somehow.” As the former chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Biden surely knows that Trump cannot and will not delay the election. The election date is set in law; Trump cannot change it without Congress’ consent. The election itself is run by the states, not the federal government, so there’s no bureaucracy Trump could corral to implement any order delaying the vote. Such an order would surely be challenged in court, and it’s inconceivable that the Supreme Court would uphold such a blatantly unconstitutional act.

Nonetheless, Biden chose to taint the president essentially with a charge of treason. One would hope that this baseless statement could be excused as just another one of Biden’s increasingly frequent verbal hiccups. But Biden said other things Thursday night that show he believes Trump is a disloyal wannabe dictator.

Oh... the irony.

Please note that Henry Olsen felt that an attempt to delay the election would be treason back in April. Let's see how he feels today.

18 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

And, since the economy is getting no play yet this morning....

What about Trump's promise?

Even before this year, he didn't do it:

LINK

Save    

Yep. A distraction from the worst GDP ever recorded.

4 Likes Save    
bry911

What does this even mean? Are you suggesting that because some Democrats were confident and wrong about a Democratic win that nullifies everything they are confident about? Shall we then just find one thing you have been wrong about and then nullify your opinion also?

If so, congrats on the trifecta...weak, hypocritical, and illogical.

12 Likes Save    
elvis

palisades_

As they say, it’s the economy stupid. The incumbent knows that important factor.

Well, his minders do. Weekend at Bernie's.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Nah Bry. There was a comment on the Barr testimony thread yesterday with a series of quoted predictions about 2016 and they were an interesting read/walk down memory lane. It wasn't so much the wrong predictions (I was predicting a Clinton win too) as the rather striking tone of the comments. I was surprised when I read them. I was kind of thinking HT had gotten worse in tone lately, but it was every bit as bad 4 years ago.

To repeat, I was dead wrong about the 2016 election too. I was as certain as one could possibly be that Clinton would win that election. The polls left me with little to no doubt.

Save    
HU-274840647

Trump’s win was phenomenally against the odds Ann so don’t beat yourself up, and it is still unbelievable for a lot of people.

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Part of the delay would be that it would allow his sycophant who is in there purposely screwing up the mail service will have more time to make ballot delivery delays that much worse.

https://fortune.com/2020/07/24/usps-mail-delivery-postmaster-general-louis-dejoy-us-postal-service/

Another memo, entitled, “Pivoting for Our Future,” warns that “one aspect of these changes that may be difficult for employees is that—temporarily—we may see mail left behind or mail on the workroom floor or docks, which is not typical.” But, the memo explains, “this is a critical time for us, when decisive, quick, and meaningful action is needed.” The mail left behind would presumably be delivered at a later date, though the document doesn't clearly state that....

Critics of the changes say they don’t see how minimizing mail delivery efforts will lead to an increase in revenue. Empirically, the opposite has occurred. In late 2011, the USPS announced nearly $3 billion in service cuts that slowed first-class mail delivery for the first time in 40 years. It ended the 2012 fiscal year with a record net loss of $15.9 billion, compared to a net loss of $5.1 billion for the same period the year before.

“Every time we’ve slowed down mail, we’ve lost revenue,” said Dimondstein. The new postmaster general, he said, instituted sweeping policy change after just one month in his position and without consulting any unions or representatives with deep institutional knowledge.

“These seem to be arbitrary decisions. If you slow down mail and packages, people are going to go elsewhere to get deliveries,” he said.

Save    
bfox254

I would like to hear Trump discuss steps we can take to make sure our election is fair and safe. Maybe discuss the administration's plans to combat foreign interference? That unfortunately, doesn't seem to be a priority.

11 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

He’s desperate and confused. Throwing stuff at the wall like crazy.

absentee ballots: good

mail-in ballots: bad

Mail early, folks. I suspect a real s-storm coming in November relating to ballot counting. Don’t mess up this year, please, Florida.

3 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

That is the one thing that actually IS in the Constitution. If it goes to succession, then someone figured out that it would be Patrick Leahy who becomes president.

Why Leahy? Wouldn't it go to the Speaker of the House?

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

I skipped down to post this so if it was already covered I will delete.

If you are counting on Congress to prevent this you are probably not thinking that clearly. If the Presidential election is postponed the existing Congress would be the decision makers. No election no new members of Congress and I am not certain what part of Congress would be making the decision. Combined Congress, House, or Senate. If it is just the Senate I do not doubt that he would be allowed to postpone the election. Then the problem would be how many postponements would there be.

2 Likes Save    

Ter: It wouldn't because Pelosi is up for election also. After the speaker it's the President Pro Tempore, which is currently Chuck Grassley. However, if there is no election, there are more republican Senate seats expiring than democratic seats which would give the Democrats the majority in the Senate. And so Patrick Leahy would end up being the President Pro Tempore of the Senate. To further elaborate:

The president pro tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Why Leahy indeed. With no house since every single one of them is up for reelection including the speaker it would be kicked to the Senate and the President Pro Tempore who at the moment is Grassley. Grassley isnt up for reelection until 2022-I looked it up- so Grassley unless I am very much mistaken would become temporary president. President Pro Tems serve until someone else gets elected to that position so Grassley would continue in the job and serve as temporary president. Both Speaker and ppt are only temporary presidents until an election can be called.

Ah we were cross posting Jerzeegirl. Would the senate have a quorum to do the vote?

Save    
chisue

A reminder that some states require anyone requesting an absentee ballot to provide an excuse. In some states the excuse can be refused. (These tend to be red states.) Another trick is to redirect voters to polling places remote from their location.

In the last two weeks I have encountered difficulty with my mail delivery, requiring me to call our P.O. They are swamped with new orders from Trump's appointee; rules come in one day countermanding yesterday's changes. The aim is clear...disruption.

August 5 is the opening day for us to apply for mail-in ballots in Illinois. Don't delay!

Save    
Joaniepoanie

“Delay the election until people can properly, safely, and securely vote?”

(On Ivanka’s pre-programmed machines from China)

(On machines hacked by Russia)

HEHE

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Oh, just saw a meme I liked...if trump can delay the election, why don't we instead move it up to say Aug 4...I'd be happy to vote him out even sooner...and then we can move up inauguration too! The sooner, the better!

12 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

HA! I told you guys so!

I had “use pandemic as an excuse to delay the election” on my bingo card!!

4 Likes Save    
palisades_

According to this reference, it would be the Speaker of the House. The President of the Senate Pro Tempore would become VP.

https://www.ushistory.org/gov/7c.asp

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

Apparently a lot of people voted by mail after the Civil War winning it for Republicans, now there is a presidential precedent he can’t use.

Save    
Kathy

This is another attempt by the GOP and Trump to suppress voting. They know it doesn’t look good for them right now. They are even attacking the USPS causing delays in mail to benefit them in the election.

3 Likes Save    

Palisades: If there is NO election then Pelosi is no longer a representative. (Representative are elected every two years, remember?). If there is no election then the Senate turns democratic because there would have been more republicans up for election than democrats. The democrats then get to pick their President Pro Tempore which is usually the longest serving senator of their party. Also, there would be no house of representatives at all.

It would be ironic if the other senator from Vermont became president.

4 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

The end date for mail is they need to be in by Oct 20th.

Depends upon the state. In California, the ballot only needs to be postmarked on election day, or earlier.

1 Like Save    
bleusblue2

bry911

From Henry Olsen April 27th -

....< >....

Nonetheless, Biden chose to taint the president essentially with a charge of treason. One would hope that this baseless statement could be excused as just another one of Biden’s increasingly frequent verbal hiccups. But Biden said other things Thursday night that show he believes Trump is a disloyal wannabe dictator.

Oh... the irony.

Please note that Henry Olsen felt that an attempt to delay the election would be treason back in April. Let's see how he feels today.

~~~~~~~

By Henry Olsen's lights, Trump has already stated that treason is OK by him. If the president thinks the vote may be compromised let him tell Americans what he is doing to protect it. He can do it at the same time he brings out his National Strategy on Covid19, one of these days.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Gyr, you are correct but the USPS is asking people to vote early because of Covid. Thousands of votes went uncounted in 2016.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/2020/07/28/how-early-should-you-send-in-your-mail-in-ballot-to-make-sure-it-gets-counted-the-answer-varies-by-state/

Save    
HU-274840647

This is probably obvious but if he was sure he was going to win wouldn’t it make more sense to bring the date forward if it was up to him, which it isn’t. Git her dun as they say.

Another thing he could do is accept mail in but issue a reduced price postage stamp only for anyone voting for him,

or he change the rules so that only people voting for Biden could mail in then get Rudi to organize a postal strike.

Or.....................

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I was dead wrong in 2016. Mainly because it never occurred to me that so many Americans shared the same values as Trump. He was, and is, truly a deplorable person in so many ways and he shows it daily. However, there was enough, barely enough, but enough none the less.....and that shocked the heck out of me. I was, and still am, angry with what Trump has done to a country I love almost as much as my own.

I do not find the posts being referenced any more angry or hateful than the posts we see here every day saying that liberals HATE America and want to ruin it, that they are anarchists, cop haters and proponents of violence. Although I am quite certain that those posting in that manner will not view it the same way.

I am not at all certain Trump will lose this time around because my eyes have been opened to the numbers who think just like him and find his words and actions not only acceptable but praiseworthy. I'm just hoping that enough eyes have been opened to prevent that from happening.

12 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"He's a piece of work."

He's Worse than that, but correct number of letters.

6 Likes Save    
Gizmo

FLASHBACK: Conservatives attacked Joe Biden for predicting Trump would try to delay the 2020 election

Published 5 hours ago

on July 30, 2020

By Brad Reed

Former Vice President Joe Biden this past April predicted that President Donald Trump would try to delay the 2020 election in order to avoid a humiliating loss — and now the president has proven Biden’s prediction to be very prescient.

Trump on Thursday floated delaying the 2020 election until the end of
the novel coronavirus pandemic so that Americans could “properly,
securely and safely vote.”

This came months after Biden told a fundraiser that he believed the
president would try to come up with some excuse to postpone the election
until a time when the political climate was more favorable.

“Mark my words I think he is gonna try to kick back the election
somehow, come up with some rationale why it can’t be held,” Biden said.
At the time, many conservatives attacked Biden for being alarmist and
suggested that was trying to dishonestly instill unfounded fears among
voters about the president’s authoritarian ambitions.

“Former vice president Joe Biden’s unfounded accusation Thursday that
President Trump wants to delay November’s election was not only clearly
over the line but also unmasks how low the supposedly moderate Biden
will go to win,” wrote Henry Olsen in the Washington Post.

“Some within Democratic Party circles hold fervently to the idea
President Trump will arbitrarily decide to postpone the election,” scolded columnist Byron Williams of the Winston-Salem Journal.
“This belief fits neatly into a narrative ascribed to the president. As
they see it, his penchant for authoritarianism makes him America’s
Hitler incarnate.”

“Joe Biden is off his rocker to make such an irresponsible allegation without any evidence,” wrote GOP Rapid Response Director Steve Guest.

And Trump-defending attorney Jonathan Turley chided Biden for fanning
a “conspiracy theory” about Trump delaying the election in a column for The Hill.

“The ultimate conspiracy theory was declared by the presumptive
Democratic nominee, Joe Biden, who warned that he was certain Trump
plans to delay the election this fall,” Turley wrote. “It is a
conspiracy theory utterly without factual or constitutional support, yet
his warning was deemed a ‘prediction’ by Politico in a recent article.”

8 Likes Save    
palisades_

JG, yes, her two-year representative term will end on Jan 3rd, 2021, but her position as the Speaker of the House would remain so until the House decides to vote on a new Speaker. So the way I see it, the Speaker term limit is up to the house votes, and does not tie to representatives term 2 year limit.

Save    
leona_2008

Republican Congressmen and women not only do not stand up to him, many would eagerly back him on this. I am not overly confident that trump won't pull this off. They don't follow the rules.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

Trump as I am seeing things may have two reasons to delay the election. The virus and unrest in various areas of the country. I have had the opinion that some of the worst damage at the protests were done by far right groups based on talking to members of some of the far right groups that were in this area. Yesterday I saw the Umbrella Man was identified as a far right extremist. As the election draws nearer expect more destruction connected with protests.

I do have a deep concern that Biden's announcement that he was picking a woman as VP has sent voters to third parties once again.

2 Likes Save    
barncatz

Two words for anyone saying it can't or won't happen: Merrick Garland.

ETA: that egregious delay tactic was "not allowed", either until it was.

8 Likes Save    

Palisades,

You are not understanding me. All 435 seats of the House of Representatives are up for election on November 3. If there is no election then there will be no representatives on January 3, 2021 to swear in. There will be no Speaker or anything else if there is no election.

ETA: Since neither the president nor the justice department has the power to move an election, it's just not going to happen. Only Congress has the power to do this and it's doubtful that the House and the Senate will vote to postpone, even if the president is willing to sign the bill.

1 Like Save    
palisades_

JG, I also think it is very unlikely the election will be postponed. But it presents an interesting dilemma which I’ve looked into based on your early post. Even if there is no election, the Speaker position does not cease to exist, and the person who has held that position will be acting accordingly to fill in, unless at such time the Speaker is incapacitated, impeached, or unable to carry her duties for whatever reasons. We have to disagree.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Actually, Palisades is putting another aspect forward. Which I think is summed up in this question:

Does the Speaker of the House have to be a current Representative?

Save    
olychick

Even if he thought he could delay the presidential election, aren't the states the ones who run the elections for their representatives in DC? So California can have an election and re-elect Pelosi. Problem solved.

2 Likes Save    

The Speaker may not have to be a current Representative, but they do have to be voted on by the House. So who will be there to vote for him or her?

Palisades: Would you please link your research?

This is from Alan Dershowitz: https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/493101-who-takes-control-if-there-is-no-presidential-election-this-year

Save    
palisades_

So who will be there to vote for him or her?

Then the current Speaker remains in his or her position until the next voting chance.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

It would surely be a question for the courts. Can a person who isnt in office be speaker. I tend to doubt it. I dont know the minutia for any of these procedures-the election of congressional leadership. I bet there are people more knowledgeable than any of us researching that at this very time. I dont believe it is possible for the president to affect the election but this president has done many things we all thought were not legal and then find out someone has to actually support the law and with a lawless GOP that hasn't happened.

Save    
Nana H

What kind of leader throws this type of chaos into a national election? A frightened one. It isn't not being President that bothers him......it is losing. A pathetic creature.

15 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Thanks Jerzee for the link. Very interesting pov.

Save    
palisades_

Would you please link your research?

https://history.house.gov/People/Office/Speakers/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives

Plus more reading about Speaker of the House term only to conclude that there is no term limit to the position, but only voting by the House to either confirm the incumbent or to select a new one. A lots of people think there is a 2 year limit on the position because the house customarily votes every two years.

Save    
Toby

Vlad requested the delay because Russia is dealing with Covid. He informed Donald during their nine recent phone calls that he needs more time to set up his election interference plans.

3 Likes Save    
bfox254

Trump knows he can't postpone the election. Here we are all talking about his election tweet instead of the horrible economic numbers released today. That's what he wanted us to do

1 Like Save    
studio10001

After all, the plunging economy isn't new news. The president attacking the democratic institution that placed him in power is.

Save    

palisades: Thanks for the links. Obviously, there is no term limit on the Speakership since Pelosi has been speaker forever. But regardless, she still has to win an election before she can continue in the position. If there is no election for her to win, then she is no longer a representative - her term wouild end on January 2. I didn't see anywhere in what you linked that said an unelected representative could be appointed but if it's there please point it out to me.

This is why it's bad to even joke about messing with elections!

Save    
maifleur03

While the 20th amendment states January 3 it also states this. "The Congress shall assemble at least once in every year, and such meeting shall begin at noon on the 3d day of January, unless they shall by law appoint a different day." Other than perhaps having to override a veto they can set any day that they wish.

https://constitution.congress.gov/constitution/amendment-20/

Save    
dandyfopp

bfox254

Trump knows he can't postpone the election. Here we are all talking about his election tweet instead of the horrible economic numbers released today. That's what he wanted us to do

I posted a thread about the economic news around the same time I posted this and I believe Joaniepoanie posted another later in the day.

The threads are there, the news is out. I know very well why Donnie fans avoid them, can't account for anyone else.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

According to the links the sitting speaker has to be reconfirmed with the new house but there would be no house to do that. I was interested to see that you could interpret the constitution in a way that doesnt require the speaker to even be a member of the house but there would still have to be a house to do that.

I was comforted to hear McConnell say the election would be held on Nov 3rd. No wiggle there.

Bye the bye as per voting by mail. We not only can vote by mail we can put our ballots in drop boxes. That relieves the PO of having to collect all ballots. You might want to pass that useful factoid on when people question voting by mail. Drop boxes. Paper ballots, Drive up and drop. Easy.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

Perhaps not so easy since the boards of election here have their buildings closed and you can only drop ballots in a box inside. Before you decide to cast your vote this way check to see if you can drop it off.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

And we have until Nov 3rd to change that unless someone doesn't want people to be able to vote.

Save    
Kathy

The USPS is becoming a problem with voting under the new administrator Trump appointed.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Trump knows he can't postpone the election.

Who is going to stop him? How would that even work?

If Sec'ys of state in pro-trump states decide to postpone the election, who and how would anyone force them to actually hold an election? And if even just some states don't hold a proper vote, how can we ever determine who is president?

Let alone trump has already threatened to throw the election results into the courts to tie them up for years:

See starting at 53:30

"...or frankly with litigation, years..."

Save    
maifleur03

I keep wondering if people have not noticed that his EO's have been treated as if they were laws passed by Congress and then signed by him. Why they expect him to not just do an EO or even make an announcement if he wants to is simply not looking at the past actions and not expecting them to be repeated.

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

And he thinks there is rioting now.

3 Likes Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

If he thought that he had duped enough people into believing that he was a good president, he would not even be considering delaying the election. It is just a transparently last-ditch desperate attempt to hold onto power, as he will have to face consequences once he is out of office - good riddance - can't happen soon enough.

I do not expect him to leave in any kind of dignified manner.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

If trump decides not to leave the wh, who is going to make him?

Save    
Iris GW

I have every expectation that Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer and their teams are working on understanding all the options. And thinking that they'd never dreamed they'd have to do that.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Annie you are correct there is no one that can make him leave office if he does not want to. Do people actually think that the Congress will simply march into the White House and tell him to leave? First they have to get past all of the security and other than moving their lips they do not have the physical willpower to grab him and push him outside the gates. Nor do I think the security would do anything other than use them for target practice. The way the military oath has been changed it requires them to be loyal to him first then the Constitution.

Save    
Kathy

He will probably fake a heart attack.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

maifleur, to what does this refer? I've not heard about it.

The way the military oath has been changed it requires them to be loyal to him first then the Constitution.

Save    
maifleur03

Anne it is reply to your question. "If trump decides not to leave the wh, who is going to make him?" If you think about it if he does not want to leave there is little anyone can do to make him.

Save    
cattyles

From what I have read, when the clock strikes the appropriate time the Secret Service protection works for the person that won the election. If that is not trump he will be asked or made to leave. I’m sure he’ll know this ahead of time. I doubt he wants to be escorted out.

Save    
maifleur03

That works if the person who won the election was sworn in. Do you really think Roberts would go against Trump and swear someone in? Until they are sworn in they have merely won an election.

Save    
palisades_

JG, I will try to present my counter arguments to your post, specifically:

But regardless, she still has to win an election before she can continue
in the position. If there is no election for her to win, then she is
no longer a representative - her term wouild end on January 2. I
didn't see anywhere in what you linked that said an unelected
representative could be appointed but if it's there please point it out
to me.

The links do not state an unelected representative could be appointed, but wiki link provides this interpretation:

"As the Constitution does not explicitly state that the speaker must be an incumbent
member of the House, it is permissible for representatives to vote for
someone who is not a member of the House at the time, and non-members
have received a few votes in various speaker elections over the past
several years."

Furthermore, you've acknowledged above, "The Speaker may not have to be a current Representative", so that can imply the Speaker could be a past elected Representative, or even not a member of the House as per wiki source above.

As far as line of succession goes in time of crisis, there would be no need for her to win an election because there would be no election during such time, i.e. WWIII, and to be a Representative. Her higher standing in the hierarchy is protected and would be precedent over the lower ranked President of the Senate Pro Tempore, who would become VP as shown in the link I posted earlier under Selection and Succession of the President.

Save    
soupgirl53

This is not really a problem. If Trump loses the election, his successor will be sworn in on January 20, 2021. If Trump refuses to leave the WH, then I suspect the first order of the new President would be to cut off the water and power sources to the WH, prevent any deliveries and all visitors to the WH. After a few days of this, Trump would likely see the wisdom of vacating the premises. Having said this, I do not think for one minute this is going to happen.

Save    
cattyles

Yes, Maifleur. I do think Roberts will swear Biden in if he wins.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/trump-election-refusal-leave.html

Save    
maifleur03

This country can only hope that he would. This country is about to be torn apart by a civil war either way if Biden wins.

Save    
colleenoz

^^^^^^^^^

And I suspect if he doesn’t, as well.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I wouldn't rely on the secret service as they are there to protect both the president and the incumbent president elect. I doubt the sec. serv. will start attacking each other to defend their respective charges.

It's more a matter of if trump can question the election results, have it get tied up in the courts and then continue to sit in the WH until it's sorted out.

We have seen so many instances over the last few years of things that we assumed were law that turned out just to be custom or practice which trump has blown to smithereens. This time he'll be testing the entire peaceful transition from one president to the next...who the heck knows how it will turn out...but given trump, it won't end nicely.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

maifleur, in other words, you weren't referring to any specific change that's been instituted in the oath the military officers take. I would've been very concerned if it had taken place, and esp if I hadn't heard about it.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

4 Likes Save    
ohiomom

The tweeter isn't trying to delay the election, he is trying to undermine the legitimacy of our constitutional government and those who follow behind him are un-American and a threat to our way of life.

Some complain that Dems can't get over losing the election in 2016, hells bells ya got folks that are still pouting over losing the Civil War. The NORTH WON!

Bwahahahahahahahha

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

What does the left have against "properly, securely and safely" voting? LOL

Save    
bleusblue2

^^^what has Trump done to assure America that the vote is properly SAFELY done?

He has no proof of rigged elections and he doesn't care to find out -- he needs to put that bug in his cult's bonnet. Oh there's that Russian thing -- Russia is interfering? Oh me oh my oh. Why would Trump believe that?

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Evidently, some Repubs. like to toy with the possibility of extending Repub. leaders in their elected positions by postponing future elections.

I've mentioned here before remembering Giuliani, in response to the 9/11 tragedy, leaning into a microphone and volunteering to postpone the upcoming election. He indicated, very obligingly, that he was willing to stick around and continue his position past the official end of it. That offer was meant to console the country --he would hold things together.

Kate

Save    
queenmargo

Yeah, blah blah, just like Trump warned that the Obama administration was spying on him...he was RIGHT again.

This 2020 election WILL be the biggest rigged election that the left can pull off.

Save    
queenmargo

I would NEVER accept a Biden win.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

What a surprise, a Never Bidener posting here, sad to see panic setting in on those who love to see liberals cry.

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

LOL- no panic just being transparent;)

Save    
queenmargo

The liberals have cried publicly for 4 years.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

^^and you loved every minute of it right margo. Well, the tear is in the other eye now as your demigod goes down in flames....where he belongs, waaaay down there.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

LOL- not yet Vg. Not yet.

Save    
queenmargo

I would not waste my time crying if Biden would win, believe me, I would do just like I did with Obama. IGNORE and look to keep myself busy without the news and politics.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

^^ so you'd stop posting here when Biden wins? Who you kidding?

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

LOL- time will tell. IF I said yes, then all the HT QM haters will add to the rigging lol lol

Save    

its worrying that the orange leader got his baseless message about voter fraud and "rigged election" , closely followed by "fraudulent vote by mail" to his base, as planned

so ironic that he did zilch to protect the voting system against fiddling by his buddy Putin but does everything to throw spanners into the works of the US democracy,

while crowing about the completely fictional dangers from "the left"

4 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Annie there was a change in the oath that the military uses in the early 1960s that added the part about following the President's orders before then it was to protect and defend the Constitution. The addition could prevent the military from doing anything or it could be used as a President's private army. Either way it would split the military between which part of their oath should they follow. This article is long but it tells of the changes in the oath over the years. https://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive.mil/2014/09/17/227-years-of-military-oaths-to-support-and-defend-the-constitution/

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Thanks maifleur...I'll take a look.

Save    
Kathy

Mail-in ballots are suggested to be mailed in early in our area because of problems at the USPS. This is a record of one primary ballot. We do have drop boxes so that will most likely be the majority of ballots but mail-in is iffy.

At the moment I have been waiting for a package sent July 18 And sitting at a USPS office near me since July22. They cant locate it and it is being investigated. Can you imagine what this new appointed postmaster will do with votes? They will sit in a stack somewhere until after the election.

Save    
foodonastump

7 Likes Save    

The mails been slow here too. But you know what? There are plenty of republican votes that will be delayed also. They are playing with fire.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Last month I mailed in my check for the mobile phone service 10 days before it was due, this month a got the next bill with a late payment charge on the last one. Never happened before now. maga.

Save    
bleusblue2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIfZDNCNTfY

youtube 2 minutes

Historian Michael Beschloss: 'Trump Seems So Psychologically Rattled'

i just saw this quote on the interview linked above

LINCOLN SAID

“We can not have free government without elections; and if the rebellion could force us to forego, or postpone a national election it might fairly claim to have already conquered and ruined us.”

Save    
Kathy

Trump just appointed someone to break the USPS and profit from it. Beware we haven’t seen the end of it yet.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Architecture Think Like an Architect: How to Pass a Design Review
Up the chances a review board will approve your design with these time-tested strategies from an architect
Full Story
Kitchen Islands Plan Your Kitchen Island Seating to Suit Your Family’s Needs
In the debate over how to make this feature more functional, consider more than one side
Full Story
Most Popular 8 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Meeting With Your Designer
Thinking in advance about how you use your space will get your first design consultation off to its best start
Full Story