deegw

Mask? Social distancing?

SaveComment35Like
Comments (35)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deegw

Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

No wonder my brother and SIL in Texas are sick. My SIL's son and his son also have Covid-19. According to my sister, my brother (with whom I do not speak) said that this was much worse than he expected and that he had trouble breathing.

My brother in Texas (not the one who lives with me in Los Angeles) is a county agent for McClennan County (Waco), and he probably got exposed at work, as he was told to show up for work, since he could not work from home in his job. He lives 30 miles south of Waco, near Temple. Bell County (where he lives) has a higher infection rate than McClennan County, I think - possibly because of Fort Hood.

Unfortunately, Texas is a very macho state, and many men there would not want to wear masks, as it might not seem masculine. Cowboys there have extreme dress codes, and if you do not wear the right brand of jeans (Wrangler) with a white faded circle in the back pocket from your snuff can, then you are pegged as an outsider. I was born there (5th generation Texan) and always felt like an outsider.

13 Likes Save    
zmith

Midland has very few cases reported. It’ll be interesting to see if that changes in the next 7-10 days.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

You think trump allows anyone within 50 feet of him without being tested?

The rest are just stupid right along with Gohmert.

4 Likes Save    
Iris GW

No way! Stupid is as stupid does, my gawd.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Lars I am so sorry but I suspect that eventually everyone on here will have a family member either sick or dead from the virus.

I also think that most of the people who believe it is just going to be a small cold like thing will find that it is much worse than they imagined.

2 Likes Save    
ohiomom

They don't need no stinkin masks!

5 Likes Save    
olychick

I would think he'd want to preserve his base, not shrink it via covid19. Darwin awards to them all.

4 Likes Save    
girlnamedgalez8a(8A)

I just learned that my TX County Denton has a 23% positivity rate on Covid testing. It has jumped through the roof in the last 2 weeks. This is such a red state that many people refuse to wear a mask. Even our County sheriff went on TV & said that they would not enforce the mandatory mask mandate. That was a couple of weeks ago now that I think about it. SMH

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Just acting bravado, or fulfilling a death wish?

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Lars and Girl, I know that Texas attitude. I can easily imagine people not wearing masks there. And get the "side eye" probably if you're wearing one. I lived in Tarrant County, Grapevine/Southlake area for a while. Ended with a bit of an accent for a while after living there for 10 years. Moved away shorty after the first Walmart was built nearby.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I truly don't get it. There's nothing political about a mask...it's simply a matter of science. It's a cheap, easy, no side effect device that has been very successful in drastically reducing the spread of a disease that has taken 150,000 American lives already.

trump has politicized it by not doing the right thing and just wearing a mask and telling people to do so. That alone would have saved tens of thousands of lives.

Makes no sense until you realize that they are trying to kill us.

7 Likes Save    
barncatz

It looks like there's a blocked off VIP section in front. Their smugness is infuriating. I see a few masks back in the peon section. Trump comes out last week on Kellyanne's orders and takes his little mask out of his pocket and puts on this act that he wears it. What a liar he is. He speaks with forked tongue.

5 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

I saw a hug, a handshake. Maybe they all got instant tests. We are deprived of spending time with friends and family because we don't have the luxury of instant tests. Vote, people, vote him out. He cares only for himself and his wallet.

11 Likes Save    
Toby

In light of what Texas is going through, wouldn't it have been respectful of Trump and his entourage to wear masks?

4 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Trump didn't even bring up the virus troubles in Texas at his little speech at the oil wells. He is full on head buried in the sand in Texas when it comes to the virus. He has other stuff he wants to talk about that's more important to him.

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Does Trump even know what's going on in Texas?

3 Likes Save    
zmith

This was a campaign trip for Trump. He had a fundraiser luncheon then visited an oil rig. Midland has not been impacted by Covid-19, so it’s not in the forefront of local news. That’s my guess why it wasn’t mentioned.

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Midland is in Texas. He had to fly to Texas to get to Midland. Unless there is a magic wall around Midland to keep the virus out it effects Midland too.

Midland County

2068 virus positives

40 deaths

https://www.midlandhealth.org/main/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-resources

1 Like Save    
Barbara Wilson

So men in Texas think masks emasculates them? Poor babies. I think their problem is more than Covid and masks.

Maybe everything isn’t bigger in Texas😉

trump virus 🦠

3 Likes Save    
zmith

Really, Izzy? Midland is in Texas? Ya don’t say. Where’d you get the idea that I don’t know that?

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Sorry, it was more about the comment that Midland has not been impacted even though it's in Texas, maybe I misunderstood your statement. For some reason I was annoyed by that part of the statement. I'm being easily annoyed today and being argumentative. I really need to take a break from HT. My apologies.

1 Like Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

The population of Midland County, Texas is about half the population of Bell County, Texas (where my brother lives), but Bell County has had only 29 deaths, but a proportionate number of Covid cases to Midland County. Infection rate in Midland County is 1200 per 100k population, and in Bell County is is 909 per 100k. McClennan County (where my brother works) is 1613 per 100k, and so it is now much worse than Bell County.

If you want to see how the country is doing, check this map. It is very sad. By now, we should be on a path to getting better instead of worse.

Save    
George Davis

I see "dead people" I think that was from the "sixth sense". That whole crowd of on lookers. Isn't anyone keeping track of these walking "dead people". They'll need trump's witch doctor she's pretty popular with dead spirits.

1 Like Save    
sleeperblues(3-wisonsin)

I see less votes for Trump in November when looking at those idiots.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Sounds like some of you never made it out of those small towns. Life is much different along IH 35. You guys are in a different world out there.

1 Like Save    
heri_cles

I see a lot of guys in that video who are probably Secret Service,. They get tested every day and do not wear masks so they can communicate more effectively. As someone else said, Trump's handlers do not allow anyone near him unless they have tested negative or are wearing a mask.

Save    
NOWAY2Biden

Yet, no social distancing and very few mask wearers at the Lewis funeral. Different strokes for different folks, right? T

Save    
Nana H

Guess we watched the funeral on different channels assuming you watched it at all......

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

NOWAY is apparently just a drive-by shooter on this forum.

Save    
lurker111

Oh, we just watched the nuthouse crats rip off their masks right after condemning people for not wearing them. We watch the protests and see everyone without masks, and see those who do wear them remove it to talk face to face. What good is a mask when you only wear it when you're social distancing? I'm not convinced that the masks offer much help. Our numbers pretty much prove that.

1 Like Save    
bleusblue2

Lewis Funeral. I don't know why I bother but this is just a quick grab of photos from that day -- NOWAY -- what's your horse in this race? A gotcha? A cheap shot? Throw it out and see if it sticks?

Save    
Iris GW

I'm not convinced that the masks offer much help. Our numbers pretty much prove that.

Changing your tune that it was the mask-less rioters that caused your uptick?

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

NOWAY is apparently just a drive-by shooter on this forum.

Poor eyesight and firing blanks anyways.

Save    
lurker111

Well, I see you edited your post. I'll answer the first. Both are true. There was no conflict...I'm not convinced that the mask really help all that much and stopping the illegal protests will greatly reduce our numbers.

Edit: I just noticed that you posted the same question on two different threads. take this as your answer for both.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Contractor Tips Building Permits: When a Permit Is Required and When It's Not
In this article, the first in a series exploring permit processes and requirements, learn why and when you might need one
Full Story
Farmhouses Houzz Tour: German Tradition Deep in the Heart of Texas
Rooted in architecture from the 1800s, this award-winning home mixes history with the vernacular of today
Full Story
Events Treasure Hunting at Texas' First Monday Trade Days
Check out some of the antiques, art and collectibles on offer at one of the largest flea markets in the U.S.
Full Story
At Capital Cabinets & Closets, we've built a reputation as an industry leader in full-service space management... Read More
Our 20+ years of experience in custom home building combined with our in-house design service assures you a... Read More