SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Nahema, size and habit?

katyajini
3 years ago

I now have a nahema grafted on multiflora from Palatine.

Some sites say Nahema can grow very big, upto 15 feet. Some say much smaller.

If you are growing Nahema please comment on its size and habit in your garden. I am trying to determine where I will place it.

Thanks!

Comments (43)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Hi !! I don’t have much of a review yet as mine is new this year . And it’s hard to compare Ca to Ny but I think your rose will be about th same just a little slower than mine due to winter . Here’s mine today . It grows lots of laterals off the canes that spread them selves out on their own . I love this rose so much . It should bloom so well soon .

Here is a link to cori Ann’s nahema . I’m reading for more of hers too but this is a start !

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5288185/nahema-stainless-steel-neptune-with-mt-saint-helens-azalea

katyajini thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Lily! Thank you!! Thats such a great picture (yours, I mean). My Nahema is still quite small
    but growing just like that. There are a few lower branches the are flowering, then the plant is throwing up tall canes. I am going to grow it against a trellis and espalier the long canes to some degree. Giving it a total of about 6 or 7 feet (width) will be good, dont you think?

Cori Ann's Nahema is beautiful and rich. I like it!!.. Gives one a great idea. I had never seen that thread, thank you!

The first few blooms in spring had this dreamy, ethereal scent! Now though there are plenty of blooms coming there is very little scent.

I love this rose too.

• Related Discussions

Lion Fairy Tale growth habit and size?

Q

Comments (4)
    I have ordered Lions this year too. My hope is that I can keep it to a reasonable height (like 4 to 5 feet) and that it won't sulk if I prune it. The exciting thing about ordering relatively new roses in warm climates like ours is that there's just no TELLING how big they'll get. You would not believe the size of my 1st year Morning Has Broken. (Hint: there's Graham Thomas in the breeding, I think)!!
    ...See More

What is the natural habit & size of Viburnum lentago? 12' - 20'

Q

Comments (2)
    My wife and I were walking in the woods today. Saw several Nannyberries. The typical size was perhaps 20 feet or more. Really these become trees, small, and have unique bark as pictured in several tomes on the subject. Would be good in a residential site as long as they are planted where they can prosper in light shade with room to become what they want to become, small trees.
    ...See More

size and habit of Purple Lodge

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi; I got this lovely rose from Ludwig's. Helpmefind says its a shrub, to 39"; Ludwig's describes it as a shrub or pillar. I seem to remember reading that somebody here grew it as a climber, though I didn't come up with this in a search. Can anybody, particular in the US, comment on what its habit is like? Would it make a small climber? Thanks in advance!
    ...See More

Nahema nitpicky negatives: weird leaves and lollipop blooms

Q

Comments (27)
    I am glad you are happy with NAHEMA. For me it was a disappointment. I planted NAHEMA as a substitute for HERITAGE (which is one of Nahema's parents and similarly colored). I was hoping for improved vase life, disease resistance, and fragrance (not a fan of the scent on Heritage). It was all these things but at the cost of slow repeat bloom and as others mentioned, the awkward growth habit. Vase life of the blooms (when I got them) was only improved by a day. Better black spot resistance was appreciated but the warped leaves made the plant look sick anyway. I did like that it had almost zero thorns and the fragrance was out of this world but I've seen Hybrid Teas that made more attractive plants. That growth habit really irked me. The thing could not decide if it wanted to be a climber or a shrub and did not look attractive grown either way. I got more satisfaction out of HERITAGE despite its faults. I eventually replaced NAHEMA with EARTH ANGEL, a Kordes floribunda, and have been happy with it ever since.
    ...See More
  • Lek Arun
    3 years ago

Wow these two are beautiful! Do they still bloom right now? Do you provide any sun protection? I think Arizona is about 115-120F this week? How did they do in the pots?

katyajini thanked Lek Arun
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @towandaaz. Those are great pictures! Yes it looks like it grows straight up with lots of flowers at the top. Do you think I should plant another rose (or something else) near its feet or it might be well leafed and flowering at the bottom too? And do you think pulling the canes when they are young towards the horizontal will lead to flowering laterals? It does happen with many roses. But it may not happen till the next year after you espalier them. Some times it happens the same year too. Good to know that it can take and maybe wants a little shade. Although I am nowhere as hot as your garden mine is not in 6-8 hours sun, more like 4-5 hours, but blooms pretty well even so young.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Katy, I don't know why, but I just can't remember your zone or where you're located, so this may not be very helpful.

My Nahema, on multiflora, is in her 3rd year and 6+ ft. She gets afternoon shade. I didn't expect her to live through her first winter, but she came through beautifully. She grew fast and bloomed her first year. The descriptions of her fragrance were not exaggerated. Oh my goodness! It's like expensive perfume. She's a good bloomer with a rest between flushes. No black spot during this year of humidity and ugly bs on most of my other roses. She is growing on an obelisk and her flexible canes are easily controlled. I'm not wrapping her horizontally for more laterals because roses don't readily climb very tall here, but it looks like I could have with her since she continues to climb.

It has been in the 90˚+ range for a few weeks, with today at 105˚ and she is producing buds and looks great.

I wholeheartedly recommend her.

katyajini thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Flowers! I am zone 7A just outside of NYC.

Everyone loves Nahema, dont they Flowers? I am glad I got her. I am glad you find the canes flexible as that expands my choices for how I want to grow her.

When Nahema bloomed for the first time for me in spring, I was floored by her fragrance. I did not expect anything so transporting. I could not believe I have growing a rose with such a fragance. But now I smell very little. Do you have any idea why that might be? In general I am getting very little fragrance from my roses this season.😢 The delicate beauty of the flowers is quite special too.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Katy, I don't know why the fragrance varies, but it does. Jude the Obscure is also a gorgeously scented rose, but not so much this year. It has to have something to do with the weather, or the amount of water or fertilizer.

You will love Nahema. She ought to be about as perfect as a rose can be in your zone. As for training her, she is flexible, but do whatever you're going to do when the canes are young.

Thank you for reminding me again of your zone and location. You've patiently told me twice before. You know what they say - the memory is the first to go.

katyajini thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

Towandaaz, love the look of Nahema on your purple wall. What a wonderful color combo! And the purple wall on its own is fabulous too!

• towandaaz
    3 years ago

Hi Lek, they do get afternoon shade which goes a long way for relief in this heat. I'm in Northern Arizona and we're typically 10-15 degrees cooler than Phoenix or Tucson. Still hot! Yesterday was the hottest yet - 107 here! Seems like some kind of record -- like a lot of places this week from what I can see. The photos with blooms were taken mid June. There are buds right now so I expect a flush in a week or two. They will fry if we don't start to get our monsoons (rain storms). Where are you Lek?

Year one and two in large 20" pots were fine with a lot of water and mulch. I could see growth stagnation last year in pots. They seem very happy in the ground now.

Katy, the flowers at the top are actually laterals. It's a little hard to see. I used a section of wire fencing folded over the wall to peg down the main canes. As soon as I put these Nahemas in the ground, the main canes started leafing out near the base. For sure on the new canes - I began training them when they were about 20" long and tender. That's unfortunate there's been a lack of fragrance. I wonder why that is? Heat?

Flowers, good to hear Nahema is doing so well for you in your region.

Thanks Stephanie, it was 18 trips to the Home Depot paint department and a leap of faith on the purple. haha I was hoping the pink and purple would be pretty.

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

@towandaaz I am in Las Vegas, NV

i just got Nahema a month ago and so far she just does nothing except losing leaves. So I thought she did not like the heat. She is in a pot under the sun shade. The roses that I did not put under sun shade do horrible even they only get sun light till 11 am. All leaves and flower buds were burned since late May. I have the new ones under sun shade (cover all directions, no direct sunlight at all) and majority of them do like it better (No burned leaves and even started producing tiny buds). I am envious the folks in dry heat that can grow roses in the garden without sun shade and wondering what is wrong with my area. :(

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Ingrid's posts from So California have shared this problem also. It is so difficult.

katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Lek Arun Lek I am so sorry growing your roses is such travail. And I am fretting non stop just because I am not getting as much fragrance as I would like! Otherwise my roses are growing well this year. One thing I have heard several times on this forum is foliar application of silicon (potassium silicate usually). Really helps plants handle heat stress. I see immediate (by next day) benefit in most plant. Hydrangeas and then roses benefit greatly. If you are interested I can let you know what I do. It might help a little, it wont hurt.

@towandaaz: I was also going to say, it is bold to color a wall purple. More power to you! It came out so well. I could not have done it. Everything in my life is white or neutral. Or pale colored roses. For the first time in my life I bought a big flowy red dress last summer. Every time I wore it people came up and complemented me. Even people I dont know. Like in restaurants and coffee shops. There is a lesson in there somewhere. I even got some deep hued roses this spring.

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

@katyajini I would love to get your advice!

• mojavemaria
    3 years ago

Lek I have no experience with silicone for roses but as we have about the same situation in heat, very low humidity and sun I totally understand your frustration!

No roses love our summers, they aren't desert plants, but some are better than others and those are the ones you need. Every year I try new roses out and get rid of ones that just don’t perform. Sounds like Nahema as good as it may be other places isn’t a good rose for here.

No supplement or patience is going to fix a rose that hates it here but below are pics of two roses that get full sun until about 1:00 taken today after the week of 112-114 with single digit humidity we’ve just had. They don’t look good in the summer but they survive and are great performers the rest of the year.

Pope John Paul II as good as everyone says

Jump For Joy still trying to flower as it does all year

I can’t imagine not growing roses but do make friends with the many plants that actually love it here like agaves, cacti, lantanas, eremophillas, Texas rangers so you can still have a beautiful yard when the roses are struggling.

maria

katyajini thanked mojavemaria
  • Lek Arun
    3 years ago

@mojavemaria Your roses look much better than mine.

Here are my Gingersnap and Peace. (supposed to love heat)

Here is the Flower Carpet Amber under the sun shade ( only cover the top). All leaves are curled up.

I have some other kinds of plants that seem to do much better than roses. In the same spot that the Flower Carpet Amber was, under the tree without sun shade. The two are Arabia Jasmin and Hibiscus that are about to bloom.

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

And poor Jude, she was trying to grow new stems for the last two months and got burned so bad ( at least 6-8 stems that shoot up and turned black in a few days) The light green one grows about 2 inches after I moved her to the new sun protested area)

Do you know what kind of bugs are these? I think they are eating my roses. Are these thrips? Should I spay? What kind of insecticide do you recommend.?

• mojavemaria
    3 years ago

hi Lek at least your young roses are alive! Having never had the particular roses you have I don’t know how well they will do here. Roses up against walls are not happy here unless they are in the shade because of the additional reflected heat.

When trying to decide what roses to try recommendations from someone with conditions similar to our own like Phoenix or inland SoCal are a better bet than other parts of the country.

I can’t tell what may be on your roses but I never use insecticide on mine. Aphids early spring are easily wiped off until beneficial insects arrive and leaf cutter bees should be ignored. Occasionally spider mites have attacked a potted rose but spraying leaves daily with water if it’s an issue gets rid of those.

You'll probably find that a lot of your roses just don’t do well here but that’s ok just a reason for more research and more rose purchasing!

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

Thank you for your kind advice @mojavemaria, I already ordered a few from your previous recommendation for fall shipment but many are out so I will have to wait till spring. Maybe when this pandemic is over (who know when?), can I visit your garden to see all the roses that do well in this challenging climate?

• katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lek, your roses are having a hard time growing. I have never gardened in such routine high temperatures, leave alone tried to grow roses. everything mojavemaria says I agree with. As for silicon: I use 1/4 cup per gallon of a potassium silicate solution called " liquid silica boost fertilizer" made by the brand 'Bloom City' (from amazon) as a foliar spray. this is a high dose. If you have any soluble humic/fulvic acids you can add that to the mix. Those acids help in absorption but are not required. I am not advocating this, just that it might help. Finding any which way to keep the roots cool will help. Are you happy with the soil that the roses are in? Maybe start a thread as well asking about really heat tolerant roses? If you do decide to try the silicon pdt, then spray on one or two leaves then wait and see if there is any harm done before proceeding. Let us know how you do. I think you will figure out how to grow some roses where you are.

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

@katyajini Thank you for your advice and sorry for hi-jack your post. :)

I will try and see if it helps. I can’t wait for the summer to be over.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Cori Ann swore by Pro-tekt, another silicon product, in her hot dry summers.

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

@Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley I had never heard of it before, Thank you!

3 years ago

I don't know how or if it differs from the Bloom City recommended by Katya. OT, @katyajini, have you found that the silicon helps at all with BS?

• katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Lek Arun protekt, going by what the label says, is essentially the same stuff as Bloom City's silica boost. protekt, also going by the label, is three times more concentrated. Sometimes formulations can differ which are not clearly marked on the label. The main difference is Bloom City recommends a far higher effective final concentration for the foliar spray and also for the drench. I went right to the highest concentration and found that it works very well. I found that the foliar spray works very quickly. The soil drench works too but slowly and requires so much more product. For you I would do both, foliar and soil. Since your roses are in pots you wont need so much.

One thing to remember is that potassium silicate, whether from protekt or Bloom City is pretty alkaline. If you are going to use it often and in higher concentrations you may want to pH it. For me I got pH down by dynagro (same company that makes protekt) and you need about 1/4 to 1/3 tsp pH down per gallon if you use 1/4 cup per gallon of bloom city silica boost. close enough. dont worry too much about the pH though.

I dont use the silicon often enough to say if it will help with BS. In theory it can help. I am trying a regimen (non fungicide) that definitely is helping with BS. Will get back with that another time.

• katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wanted to add protekt recommends 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of their product per gallon. by my calculations, from what is there on the labels, you would use about 1-1/2 Tbs per gallon of protekt.

3 years ago

I seem to recall that Protekt recommends foliar application. I didn't read anything about drench. I wonder how much of a difference it makes to apply it to the soil. Something to read up on tonight. Thank you katya for the equivalent dosage. I've meant to do this for some time, but always forget.

• mojavemaria
    3 years ago

Thanks for the interesting info on silica, it sounds like it might help protect rose foliage from the sun. Because our soil and water are already very alkaline though I’m not sure if it would be a good idea . Just had to add chelated iron because of chlorosis starting on a few roses.

Lek you are welcome to come see our plants anytime! Be warned our 1/2 acre is 95% desert landscaping which I’m equally passionate about. The roses do get the most protected spots here, most of them right outside the front door. If you come I’ll have to talk you into some cactus cuttings and agave pups so this time of year you’ll have something to look at besides sunburnt leaves!

• subk3
    3 years ago

I have a Nahema here in MidTN (technically z7a, but my property is really still z6b) no spray with heavy blackspot pressure in 360 degree full sun. I got her last spring (2019) from Palentine bareroot on multiflora. (Actually Lilyfinch got her and I bought her when she realized she was moving and she sold her just ordered roses.)

Right now she is 7-8 feet across and 5 feet high. I've got her on a cattle panel that is the perimeter fencing for my veggie garden. I normally don't prune climbers until their second year, but this one was so vigorous I dared not to leave it unpruned this spring. It's been very easy to keep her espaliered to either side. She is ok no spray, but then I'm not to bothered by some leaf loss. Right now in the worst part of summer she's probably without 1/2 to 1/3 of her leaves. She is fed mostly horse manure compost and alfalfa tea/fish fert a few times a year.

Nahema 1 year in the ground:

katyajini thanked subk3
    3 years ago

I have got to move mine to my front fence for more sun judging by these pictures. Is she thorny once she puts on size? I have a place on both the sidewalk and driveway side.

• subk3
    3 years ago

Also, for anybody who might be searching for information on this rose I'd add if you were looking for a rose to grow up to a second story deck this might be a winner. This has been a better rose to look down on from close up than look at straight on from the ground. That may change as it builds more growth and substance, but I'm always surprised how much better it looks when I walk up to it than when I'm looking at it from a distance.

@Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValleyon thorniness I don't find her very thorny at all. She has them but then I've had New Dawn and now Laguna so I my perspective on that may be off! More importantly she doesn't sprawl and has been very easy to keep up against the fence and in her place. You could possibly put her near a side walk as long as you have the wall space side to side and vertical. She does get a bit stiff caned and I do think it really helps to give climbers a proper haircut in the early spring, so you would have to commit to management to have her near a sidewalk--but that would probably be true for any climber. Of course, I've only had her a year so she there's still plenty of time for her to transform into a monster!

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

@mojavemaria I also grew and killed so many cactus this year and I kind of giving up on them because I thought they would be a kind of plants that you can pot them up and forget about it. I was so wrong. So I can learn a lot from you on those desert plants!

@subk3, Your Nahema is so beautiful! Now I am just watching for her to show some kind of growth. Hopefully she survives the summer and give a third of gorgeous flowers like yours.

• katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you subk3! That is a beautiful sight. Mine will be growing something like that against a wire trellis at least 6 or 7 feet high. I havent built the trellis yet so dont know how high it will be. Do you get the feeling Nahema will get 10 feet or higher? in which case it flop around some at the top? Your trellis is about 6 feet? How is the fragrance for you? And yes it will be in a position I can see it very well from my second floor. It really does look very lovely.

• subk3
    3 years ago

Thank you @katyajini ! The cattle panel it's on is 16 feet long and not quite 5 feet tall. The plan is to continue to pull it fan-like out to the sides and fill the panel top to bottom instead of letting it go straight up. Climbers bloom on the laterals and lateral sprout off the main canes only when those canes start going horizontal (or at least 45 degrees.) More laterals, more blooms. The amount of width you have may determine how much height you need. For really big climbers I weave their canes side to side/back and forth for the same horizontal cane effect. Nahema may be too stiff to weave.

@Lek Arun I know nothing about growing roses in the desert, but I will tell you that I just have no success growing roses in pots in the summer. They hate it. They get stressed, black spot, get bugs, lose their leaves and generally give me the finger when ever I walk past them in August. It's like you can't water them enough and even if you do they still aren't happy. We are typically "only" in the mid 90s in August--I can't imagine trying it in LV. It may be because the pots don't really protect their roots from the heat they way they would be protected in the ground--I really don't know, but I vowed to stop trying it a few years ago and it's one of the best gardening decisions I've made! You might try putting a few in the ground and see it that helps, something for you to consider, anyway.

3 years ago

Subk3, that was my conclusion about growing roses in pots long term over one year. Katya, the fragrance is divine. One of my top fragrances if I recall.

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

@subk3 I wish I have a yard to grow roses. :(

Majority of the houses in my area are zero lot with cement as the backyard. Potting them up is my only option. However, they don”t seem to need as much water. I check the pots everyday. The ones that growing need to be water every other day. The ones that not doing anything like Nahema, I only water once a week and the pot still shows as moist. Right now, I can protect them from the sun light but the hot dry wind might kill them and there is not much I can do, I can put them in the house or buying a misting fan for them ( my husband might kill me because of the summer electrical bills ).

• katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Lek Arun I was going to say I cant grow roses in pots justsub3 like. Its hard. Good luck! Keep us posted.

• katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Vap: The fragrance is divine. I dont know why but none of the flowers have fragrance anymore. The first flower this spring just blew me away.

3 years ago

Have you cut any to bring inside?

• katyajini
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No, will try tomorrow.

2 years ago

Last fall I finally moved Nahema to my front fence where it gets much better sunlight. It was still struggling to come back from the Roundup debacle, but had a couple of canes that were normal so I held out hope. She made it through the winter perfectly and sent up some gorgeous canes the spring. Finally blooms! If there is a more beautiful rose please tell me what it is. I know Eden has called my name many times, but this rose broke my heart with its beauty

when I saw it today. The fragrance must be one of the best. What a rose!

• KittyNYz6
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley,

& Friends,

I’m excited to grow Nahema CL & I just ordered her from Long Ago Roses. Hope it is shipped soon. Your reviews sound good! And photos are lovely. I have 2 Edens-they are great-my favorites-very hardy! I can’t wait to smell Nahema’s fragrance. I ordered the Nahema perfume sample from Guerlaine. Hoping she is as hardy as Eden. plan to put her on S Side of home-where my roses do their best in winter. Love to see more photos of her?

Vapor, I justed posted many photos of my Eden on new “Thrill of Summer…” thread…. it’s breathtakingly beautiful. Here’s just a couple photos….shes’s 3yrs old, 130 buds to bloom so far!!!

UPDATE: My order of Nahema was canceled-out of stock. Kooked all over. So far cant find Nahema in stock anywhere. Maybe tgeyvwill have another by fall?

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    last year

Nahema is beautiful indeed. I have yet to find her. I would love to grow Eden again after I lost her a few years ago. However, Eden is not cane hardy in my growing zone. I grew it like a shrub with sparse blooms.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm