SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_hewitt80

Entryway console table - sizing/proportions

Cheryl Hewitt
3 years ago

We just updated the light fixtures in our entryway, and now I would like to add a console table and decor. The house is an unusual post-modern style. At this point in time I'm not able to change the front door or the tile, so please don't go down those paths. The crazy light sphere could probably go - it came with the man and the house and it's zany, so I haven't taken it down (yet). The monkey on top of the closet is truly frightening, but in a wonderful, horrible way.

The wall with the light fixtures is 9' and the space between the fixtures is 48".

I found a source that says the length of the table should be 60% the length of the wall, which would be 64-65". How hard and fast is that rule? The console table that I'm leaning towards is 32'' H x 70'' W x 15'' D. (picture below) Would that be too long for this wall?

Brentwood Console Table from Perigold

I like this style console, because I'd like to put ottomans/stools under the table for guests (ha! pre-covid thinking!) can sit to put on their shoes. But, I could be swayed into other styles.

Considering this mirror.

Suismon Modern & Contemporary Accent Mirror

27.6"

I'm open to ideas. TIA!

Comments (62)

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

"I'm thinking we can find something similar in shorter length if you are open to shorter..."

Yes, please! :)

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Taped off for the 70" console.

• Related Discussions

Mirror Size vs Console table

Q

Comments (2)
    People often hang mirrors in foyers so they can check their appearance coming and going. I think the mirror you're considering may work, since its open scrollwork won't read as "heavily" on the wall as a mirror with a hefty, solid frame might. Ideally, the console would be the same size or just a tad longer than the mirror. Would you consider shopping for a new console that is longer and move your ghost chair out of this space (it looks a bit cramped where it is). If not, just use your current console and buy the mirror since you love it. It may not be IDEAL, but it'll be fine.
    ...See More

Do you think the size of this console table is ok?

Q

Comments (2)
    Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to upload it in my original post so here it is.
    ...See More

Help with choosing a style of mirror for console table at entrance.

Q

Comments (6)
    Very good thoughts, thank you. Yes, I am open to putting a piece of art over the console table. It would likely add some needed color. I can probably place an oval mirror in the front foyer part of the entrance. I'll look in Etsy at some paintings to see if there is anything interesting. I am very open to suggestions. THANK YOU so much.
    ...See More

Help with entryway proportions: Console + Mirror sizes?

Q

Comments (7)
    Bigger is better as you're realizing. The console can be as wide as 75% of the space between the blue tape and the bedroom door. Then the mirror can be as wide as 75% of the console's length and should hang 5" above it. Does that help? Don't forget a striking area rug and light fixture! Do you still have matching paint to use on the vent above so it fades into the wall?
    ...See More
  • Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

can you tape off 48in between sconces, seems like the distance is greater than 48in based on the 70in? but the picture perspective may be deceiving.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

these are around 48in wide... i am not sure the idea of putting ottomans underneath will necessarily work with the width of the entry and may be a tripping issue as the ottoman will come out further from the console.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The measurement taken between the sconces is 48" from base to base.

48" x 15" marked off on the floor.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

"these are around 48in wide... i am not sure the idea of putting ottomans underneath will necessarily work with the width of the entry and may be a tripping issue as the ottoman will come out further from the console."

Was there an image that didn't load?

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

oops, my images didnt copy over...let's try again...

Cheryl Hewitt thanked Theresa Janssen
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Where is the one on the right/center from?

I don't think having ottomans or chairs or whatever will be a tripping hazard as the space is pretty wide. The natural foot traffic pattern is further from the wall than that. :)

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

48in looks better to me....

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

wayfair

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

How crazy would it be to spend this much on a console? It would definitely be a statement piece and would fit the house and style.

Perigold 48" console

32'' H x 48'' W x 12'' D

$2,489

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

LOL, the console is gorgeous, as for spending that much, I don't think its crazy. but I am one that will spend more on something that I absolutely love. it will be a statement piece that could be used in multiple areas of the house, i think its something that will stand the test of time and will have it forever... clearly I am making the case for it. you have to be comfortable with the cost in the end.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Like you, I'm more likely to spend more on a piece that I absolutely love, has quality workmanship, and is not trendy. Thanks for validating my spending. LOL

I showed my partner and he loves it. He gasp at the price, but seeing as I am paying for it, I don't think he'll object. ;)

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

boom

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm excited! Next up, mirror, vase, etc.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

so you would prefer a mirror over art? i would say look for something around 36in wide minimum for that spot between sconces.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That wide, huh? I was looking at something that is 30" wide.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

a few mirror ideas, I kinda like the simple black lacquer one so the table is the focus?

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

take a look at these pics and the width of the art or mirror...

Transitional Entry · More Info

Dry Creek Project · More Info

Beach Style Entry · More Info

Therma-Tru Doors Products & Projects · More Info

City: McDougald Residence · More Info

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Once I see the collage, I like the black lacquer one, too. I was really set on the one from Crate and Barrel, but it's 30" and it may take away from the table.

Where is the black lacquer one from?

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

wayfair

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

The star will be your 48" console. Don't let anything else ruin the impact. A tall skinny mirror would be my choice. If 75% as wide as the console, it would be 36" hung 5" above the console. It could be more narrow, but that would be the maximum. Once the console arrives, I would tape off the "bottom" of the mirror, and then experiment with how high it needs to go so it doesn't overpower the sconces either. May require a custom piece and should have a simple black frame to match the material in the sconces or the console. This is a floor mirror that leans, but it is the shape I would consider to replicate the shape of the lighted sconces and to offset the angularity of the console. The second one is a 36" hanging mirror, but not in the right finish. They are offered here on Houzz, but you might find the right size and finish elsewhere. Google "hour glass wall mirror."

Bassett Mirror Hour-Glass Leaner Mirror in Merlot Finish M2464EC · More Info

Hour-Glass Wall Mirror Silver Leaf · More Info

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I feel like the sunburst arms are maybe a little dainty for the table?

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Where is that wide black mirror from?

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I can't find a skinny tall mirror like you posted, and I feel a bit intimidated ordering a custom mirror.

If you follow the link and hover over the image, I believe it has a gold band on each side of the black. It's not cheap, but maybe my idea of how much a mirror should cost is not realistic.

Marquis Framed Round Mirror in Matte Black, 37"x37" $415

Marquis Framed Round Mirror in Matte Black, 37"x37" · More Info

Pottery Barn Brussels Round Black Frame Wall Mirror - 36" $449

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

pottery barn looks like it has gold inner rim, larger size will be more expensive in general, I do think you need a substantial frame like those vs say a thinner feame.with your table.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Just found this one on Houzz too. Looks like the wood is similar to your console.

Cheryl Hewitt thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

decoenthusiaste, I think that mirror is only available up to 30". Thanks for looking for a mirror for me. :)

Theresa, I just saw this part of your comment.

2 days ago

so you would prefer a mirror over art?

Yes, I think I'd prefer a mirror over artwork.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The PB mirror description says it has silver gilt detail. I had thought it was gold gilt. :(

• Kate
    3 years ago

Since you aren’t replacing the door or flooring, what about staining a dark color?

Cheryl Hewitt thanked Kate
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kate, staining what? :)

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So, the Oval and Round Mirror Store has the Marquis mirror for $115 less than it's offered on Houzz. Before I pull the trigger, can you guys confirm that a 37" diameter mirror isn't too large. The space between the light fixtures is 48" and the console is 48"w. It's 83" from floor to angled ceiling. Also, do you think this mirror will work well?

Marquis Framed Round Mirror - Matte Black - 37"

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

wow, great price. 37in is great size. just to confirm, what is distance from top of console to ceiling?

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great! From the top of the console to the point where the angled ceiling starts is 51".

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I ordered the mirror and now I'm considering decor for on the console.

I'm going back and forth on options. This vase is antique brass, 20.5" tall, 8" diameter. (Console is 12" deep.)

Paired with this: (8" dia., 10.25"H)

Or this: (10.25" dia. x 12.25"H)

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

OR something like this: (11.5"H, 7.5" diameter) With some faux eucalyptus or other greenery.

Going for this look.

I have light colored walls. (Paint color is "Hint of Vanilla".) Would a light colored vase wash out with that backdrop?

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I think a light colored vase with faux eucalyptus can look great, just like your pic you posted... I also like the black vase too, with eucalyptus, I think those two vases work best with everything else in the entry... trim, floor, wall color. I might choose a brushed gold as an option to work with the gold in the sconce. I also like the idea of 3 of the same vases in different heights...

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm stuck on this. It seems that three black vases works well with this console, but that it may pull the aesthetic towards formal. And then I wonder if this console demands that look, or if the light colored Holden vase, while less formal, is also an acceptable direction to go. ???

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

both work and so funny... I don't think the 3 black vases seem formal at all. I like black for some reason, I think its the contrast and putting the eucalyptus in one of the vases will look great, but again either works.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm kind of laughing at myself. And reminding myself if I don't like the arrangement that I have other areas where I can use them - whatever "them" turns out to be.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

LOL, you just want it to be awesome and so you are thinking thinking thinking. I totally get it, I do the same. you made a big investment and want it to look as good as it can be, nothing wrong with that. they can be moved absolutely.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay, I pulled the trigger and ordered the three vases from West Elm, and 2 eucalyptus branches, and 2 Craspedia bunches (in case they look better than the greenery), and then because I really love the vase and I have other places I need to decorate, I ordered the Holden vase, too. All of those items from Crate and Barrel. Zoiks.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

nice, it will all look awesome!!!

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

how's the decorating going? are you just in wait mode for all the stuff?

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Waiting on everything to arrive. 😊

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The console arrived today! We really love it. I'm not totally set on the books and kiwi bird. The top book is cool and I would like to display it someplace in the house at some point, so there's that.

While we were hanging the mirror I temporarily moved the vases onto the buffet in the dining room, and I really like the vases there, too.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

absolutely stunning!!! love love love the round mirror with the sconces and console. the vases are perfect!! are you happy with the size of the mirror as you were originally thinking smaller... the console.is just gorgeous. did you try it without the book and birdie? IMO you really don't need anything on the other end.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks!

I've added and removed the bird/books. It's okay either way. I posted to Facebook and a designer friend commented, so I took the opportunity to ask her thoughts on the books/birdie and she said she loves them and gave them a thumbs up, so I'll leave them there for now.

I'm really happy with the mirror size. It's dramatic but in a good way. BTW, the quality of the mirror is great; heavy, nice bevel, nice frame. 👍👍

I want to sit and admire it. To heck with other activities today. 🤣

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

don't you love it when you just want to stare at something new? LOL. so happy the mirror is such great quality, you just never know with online. yeah!