SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gretchen_hansen62

Choosing a floor for kitchen remodel: open plan to DR with hardwood

Gretchen Hansen
3 years ago

I am remodeling my very ugly kitchen. We are opening the partial walls between the kitchen and dining room, plus adding a mudroom off the back of the kitchen where the back door is. We are also adding a sliding glass door to the dining room where the windows are, and a small deck.

Currently the dining room (and rest of the house) is oak hardwood with an orangy tone. There is linoleum in the kitchen currently. The house/space is relatively small so one of the goals is to make the space feel bigger. The first photo shows the current connection - both partial walls, the peninsula, and the built ins will be gone.

See also this video:

Our cabinet choice is maple with a grey maple glaze on the lower cabinets, and white uppers (see second photo). I am leaning towards white countertops. The second photo shows a cabinet sample next to a white cabinet and next to the wood floors in the dining room. I also welcome advice on these choices (e.g., white uppers vs. wood all the way, countertops).

I am hoping for a much cooler asthetic overall.

My dillema is what to do about the kitchen floor.

Option 1: Extend the hardwood into the kitchen (with a breakboard). Finish to match. This would retain our slightly orangy oak, which I don't love, but I think I would like it more if it was surrounded by our cooler toned cabinets with white/grey/blue accents. I believe this would look the best overall, to have continous flooring throughout, but I am concerned about the wood floors next to wood cabinets, and I am not that thrilled about having wood in the mudroom.

Option 2: Replace the kitchen with grey tile planks (probably luxery vinyl). This would break up the space, clearly delineating dining room from kitchen. But the LVT would be very functional for the kitchen and mudroom.

Option 3. Rip out the dining room floor too and replace the whole shebang with something else. This would mean a break in flooring between the living room and dining room (which is a fairly open connection, you can see in the video)which is also not ideal, but would make the dining room/kitchen addition a continous surface.

Option 3B: Add hardwood to the kitchen but refinish DR and Kitchen with some other wood finish. Again, this would create a break between the LR/DR but the hardwood species would be the same.

So, what should we do? What will look the best and be the most functional? Is it worth the potential headaches of hardwood in the kitchen and mudroom to maintain a continuous floor (even though I don't love it)? Would it look terrible to have a break either between DR/Kitchen or DR/LR? This is my first time being an "adult" and choosing things like this and I am at a loss. All help appreciated!

Comments (10)