SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acdclosgatos

Anyone used DalTile QuicTile or RevoTile flooring? Complaints/Raves?

acdclosgatos
3 years ago

Comments (40)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I would suggest you google the reviews . IMO wood look tile is a dated itme already .

• acdclosgatos
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I was looking at the White Carrara Marble option.

Live_Wire_Oak---What makes it a joke??

Patricia Colwell Consulting--What makes the RevoTile Lighter colored faux wood look dated especially the Toasted Pecan, Mission Elm, Driftwood??

Most reviews of the RevoTile are 4 stars or higher.

The issues reported were with install especially people who did not have flat sub-flooring/ floor.

I was hoping to get feedback from an owner who has had it for at least 5-6 months.

• Ben Ernest
    3 years ago

There are lots of designs other than wood (stone, marble, concrete, etc), and it doesn't move lol. You still apply grout over the tile. Any other actual feedback from customers? I'm considering it as well.

• Alton Nakagawa
    3 years ago

I used the Dal Tile Quic Tile to redo my 2 bathroom flooring and house entry way and Quic Tile was great. Projects came out very nice. Cutting is harder as it is much thicker than regular tile and hard to cut round edges but worked around that with cutting smaller pieces and filling the gaps with grout.

acdclosgatos thanked Alton Nakagawa
  • HU-561878666
    3 years ago

This product should be better bthan all the laminate and vinyl crap that scratches etc. Porcelain is truly waterproof as well.

• acdclosgatos
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Patricia Colwell Consulting- I have seen lots of homes newly built in CA, TX, OR, WA & FL along with coastal areas still using porcelain wood look tile. Even the Property Brothers are still using it on HGTV.

It is still getting recommended in the home magazines as a smart investment that should last 10+ years.

It really serves it's purpose for young families with kids and multiple pet families.

Cheap Porcelain wood look tile can really look fake but if it is a quality tile in a light (oak) to medium color that is set with a narrower colored grout line then people do a double take.

Raymond Baker- Thanks for the feedback & details.

We have flat/ leveled sub-floor so our prep should be easier.

Did you use a Revotile Wood look?

We are looking at the White Carrara Marble tile option with the Dovetail grout and the Grey Concrete with the Metropolitan grout. They will dry grayish which works. I prefer a light- medium grey grout, which I think takes out the stress of cleaning tile.

Alton Nakagawa- Thanks for the feedback & details.

How long have you had it in your home?

Which Revotile & grout did you use? Did the grout dry lighter?

Did you put it over a leveled sub-floor in your bathrooms?

How is it holding up in the bathrooms & entry? Any big spill(s) that you felt it handled well, with no water going into the grout lines or edges?

Have you felt any movement? Do you feel it is pretty much fixed in place?

I imagine that the grout keeps it from moving, especially in bathrooms/ wet-rooms where you have to grout the edges too.

I spoke with my tile guy and told him to get diamond tip saws for cutting straight and diamond tip for edges too. He knows you can't use a tile end clipper/ chipper.

Ben Ernest- Have you gotten any other feedback aside from this discussion?

DOES ANYONE HAVE PICTURES?

I'm moving forward with it since we have multiple pets.

• northernlites
    3 years ago

Can you tell me how you made out with the install? Are happy with the end result and does it look realistic?

• Raymond Baker
    3 years ago

The grout (grey) used was the recommended colour for the tile. It did darken, but in hindsight we would have chosen a darker colour. After 3 months from install we have concluded it was an excellent investment, easy to clean and doesn’t show dirt or dog hairs like our last flooring. My main gripe before installation was Dial didn’t photo’s showing the variations in the tile over a large area - unfounded concern, as you can see.

• northernlites
    3 years ago

Raymond Baker, That looks awesome! Thank you for the update.

• HU-923462010
    2 years ago

Raymond Baker, have you had any issues with these tiles since they were installed? We’re in the middle of a basement project and considering having daltile porcelain revotile installed and a couple of the contractors we’ve talked to have nothing good to say about the tiles. (Cracks, installion, etc.) thanks.

• Raymond Baker
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I’m surprised to hear that people have had issues, such as cracking, with this product as it is a floating install. Would suggest the surface was not within tolerance. Our installation has been down for 6 months and hasn’t had any issues with use. Cleans up well and is as pristine as the day it was installed. You need to ask more questions on why they think the tile cracked - if installed correctly, there should be no issue. Take a look at these additional photos.

• HU-923462010
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for your response and the additional photos. Your floors look fantastic. We really like the floating tiles we selected and were hesitant to change our opinion. Your comment confirms that we may need to find a contractor who knows what they’re talking about and can install our floors. Thank you again!

• Carol WC
    2 years ago

Raymond Baker, which color of Revotile did you use?

• Raymond Baker
    2 years ago

We selected Toasted Pecan. Having had an expresso coloured laminate, which showed dirt and hair (from our dog) we wanted a colour that wouldn’t easily show this type of issue. We had also just done the stairs and entrancein tile and had to blend with what had been installed there. i had used white oak for transition strips which was custom stained - so the choice would have appeared onerous, but having been supplied with samples of a number of tiles, the selection was obvious (don’t usually take long over such matters). Over 6 months from install and we are extremely pleased with the result. The tile cleans easily and we haven’t had any issues. Hope your choice will be just as pleasing to you when you finish.

• Carol WC
    2 years ago

It looks nice, thank you!

• HU-207145081
    2 years ago

I purchased this product simply because I liked the look and figured that if I didn't have to rip up the existing vinyl floor that was a huge bonus to expedite the installation. After I purchased the product it was clearanced from from the store where it was purchased, so I felt that it would be in my best interest to research why it was discontinued since it was a new product for them. from the reviews it appeared that homeowners loved the results, however the contractors installing it did not have as favorable comments. I decided to still move forward with the installation. I was planning on using it in a small bath, and kitchen/foyer area. I was excited the day of install, my installer showed up at 8:00 and I went off to work. I received about 5 texts from him asking why I bought this "product". he was pulling his hair out and he spent about 3 hours putting in the first row. He finished up the bathroom, however refused to do any more of the job stating it was the worst product he ever worked with. Now I was stuck with 30 cases of product and could not get anybody to install it. I went directly to a Daltile store, however since the product was already purchased they would not install it either. I would have to repurchase through them and take a hit on the cases I had, because now it was clearanced. what a pain! it has now been 6 months since the bathroom was installed. It looks great and has held up fine. Easy to clean, no scratches or cracks, however I am still trying to get the rest of the job installed. I think the issue is that the product is very heavy and the click tabs are extremely brittle. It seems as if you almost have to install the entire row at one shot which is difficult for 1 person do to the weight and the tabs constantly breaking. Once clicked it does not move around at all and the grout hold everything into place. Be sure to only install on a perfectly level surface because the tile is not at all flexible and if the plastic tabs are strained they will snap off. best of luck!

acdclosgatos thanked HU-207145081
  • nantucketfog
    2 years ago

HU-207145081 - Thank you for this detailed review. We are considering Revo-tile Stone Look for our 150 sf bathroom. Our floor transitions into a barrier-free (curbless) shower floor. According to Daltile, Revo-tile was designed for such an application. They instructed us to run a bead of 100% silicone between the Revo-tile and the shower floor tiles. We have tried to get a tiler hired for 2 years without success, as our area is in a crazy building boom. Most tradesmen won't work with renos, but only with new builds. Thus, we will be tiling the floor ourselves. I'm concerned about the report that the click tabs break easily. However, my husband laid 4000 sf of solid core LVP in our home, so he's had click tab experience. We've decided to move forward with the Revo-tile. I'll report back about our experiences laying this new wonder tile.

• Raymond Baker
    2 years ago

If you have an exerienced tiler they should find this product straight forward. the tile doesn’t bend when you lining-up the click tabs, so it is more difficult to instal from that point of view. The plastic tabs will break if you mis-handle the tiles, but if you are installing them correctly, thereshould not be an issue. Our installer laid our front entrance with conventional tiles in a herring bone pattern, and completed a 37’x12’ area, with cut-outs for cabinets in just over a day. He did have a large tile cutter to rip the longer dimension, but it scribed and snapped without an issue. My conclusion is you select an installer with the skill to do the work. our job was his first experience using the product. When asked, when hefinished the jod, about how it had gone, he said there were no issues. If i’d had a conventional tile laid, it would have taken at least 5 days, wouldn’t have been able to walk on the tile for 24hrs plus and cost over 5x the amount in labour and material. Work out your priorities - i rest my case and you have photos of the result to support my argument.

• Stephanie Stubberfield
    2 years ago

We put the White Carrara marble in a sunroom bath. My biggest complaint was the installer did not read rhe directions and the floor ended up with a haze all over it from the rapid grout that wasn't washed off with clean water in a timely manner. Blaze was recommended to clean the haze off but it's not supposed to touch the grout so it meant cleaning each tile one at a time with a special sponge and it has an extremely toxic smell.

We have since sold that home so I only got to enjoy it for about 5 months.

We are thinking about using it again in a bedroom on a slab. The rest of the rooms are already tile.

My hesitation is I have talked to 4 flooring companies recommended by DalTile and non of them have ever installed it yet. Surprising, considering it's in the Houston area.

This time it will be installed on slab instead of subfloor pier and beam.

My suggestion is to read the directions for Revtile and rapid grout to be sure your installer does it properly!

• acdclosgatos
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We found a tile guy who sloped the tile into the ADA shower using the schluter waterproof system and traditional porcelain tile. Otherwise we would of needed an ADA hump/ concrete shower curb-think speed bump for wheelchairs.

We were also able to have him do a slope in the laundry room to a drain under the washer so if the freezer in there leaks, the washer leaks, the laundry sink leaks, pipes or hoses burst then all the water goes to the drain.

• acdclosgatos
    Original Author
    2 years ago

THANKS TO ALL FOR COMMENTS & BEAUTIFUL PICS!

We actually saw it in a powder room and it is attractive/ looks like tile. If we had a small powder room then we would of used it.

RevoTile requires a FLAT surface and sub-flooring needs to be level.

The slope flooring we are installing would void the RevoTile warranty.

The ADA bathroom connects outdoors to deck & pool so having the sloped textured porcelain tile helps to drain water ASAP.

The laundry room has a front load washer and top load washer, laundry/ utility sink, plus a freezer so having the slope there is also important for water leaking & drainage.

We are also in a high-risk earthquake area so tile is easier to cut out & replace compare to lock/ click tile flooring.

• Bruce Painter
    2 years ago

It seems that the narrower long planks are easier to install, probably because they are more flexible. I have tried clicking together the 12" x 24" and it is impossible to click together, if you brick stagger the tiles. Not worth it! By the way, I have done flooring for 33 years and this product is a lemon.

• HU-727078151
    2 years ago

It was complete junk the first time such a thing came to market. 2001 ish? Edge was the brand then, if I recall. I think there was a z in there somewhere though. The many lawsuits were epic though.

Tile has required a rigid substrate for millenia. The very concept of moving floating tile installations goes against centuries of intact tile installations. Yes, I understand the concept and practice of of uncoupling technology and practice, antique and modern. Evidently some tile manufactures still do not.

Found some ancient history on Edge Precizion Tile. https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=3a4cf100c5d15fd08aba355ef29de711&t=30921&pp=15&highlight=edge+tile

• Raymond Baker
    2 years ago

Before you put pen to paper and express your view of a product you have not used and your only experience appears to be something that was historical and not relevant to the product (Datile), you should keep your comments off this media. it is not benificial to people who are interested in using this product. contrary to your comments, floating floor installations are a recognized standard throughout the Construction Industry and if installed correctly by an experienced installer such techniques produce amazing results, as you willsee from the photographs supplied in this thread. i can’t agree with your post.

• HU-727078151
    2 years ago

You’re biased to believe in your financial investment. I’m biased to believe in thousands of years of tile installation standards, and the experiences of thousands of qualified industry professionals, as a group.

Let’s just see where we both are in 5 years time. Much less 100 years. or 1000 years. A properly installed tile should outlast your great-grandchildren’s lifespan. When that starts to crack and fail, and it will, you’ll remember why so many qualified professionals advised against it.

• kjpourmehr
    2 years ago

We are DIYers and have installed many, many floors (both laminate and traditional tiles). These tiles were the worst!! The clicking/locking mechanism snaps off quite easily. Each tile weighs approximately 6 pounds (12" x 24")...try holding a tile of that weight without breaking off a piece of the plastic locking mechanism. Daltile has built in a tolerance which allows the system to work even if a portion of the locking mechanism snaps off. Watching any video available regarding the installation of these tiles makes it look like a snap (no pun intended). Unfortunately, it is nothing like they show in the videos. After spending an entire day figuring out the proper technique to lay these tiles, we were on our way to completing our project (renovating our large master bathroom and hallway leading into the master bathroom). Whether or not we did this correctly, we figured out that using a pull bar and block to "tap" each tile into place was mandatory (for every single tile). We had no issue cutting the tiles, however, we made sure that we did not need to cut out anything in the middle of a tile (by strategically placing the tiles around pipes, etc.). We used a handheld tile saw which worked like a charm. We also used a 24" manual tile cutter which also worked well. Grouting was easy, however, the grout glaze is a real issue. We were very careful to make sure we cleaned each tile after applying the grout, however, the glaze is still there. Next step is to clean off the glaze... Ugh! Regardless of all of this, with a GREAT deal of patience and persistence, our floors look awesome! The tiles are sturdy, the grout lines are consistent, and the floor looks great. As a side note, I would not recommend this product if you lack patience!

One more comment -- Daltile customer service was excellent when we had to purchase a few more boxes of these tiles... They only sell to contractors out of their showroom, however, we tried several times to purchase these boxes through a Home Improvement store, and each time they arrived broken into pieces (EACH TIME)! We went to the showroom to hope for some help, and they came through for us!

• Brenda Allen
    2 years ago

Does anyone know if revo tile and daltile quick tile are the same thing. Also we have menards that carries mohawk fast tile is that the same thing.

• HU-755315842
    2 years ago

I also would like to know the same thing. Very hesitant after reading all these complaints. I do think that ReVo by Daltile is Daltile brand of click tile just like quiktile by Daltile is a Daltile house brand for Home Depot? For me it is a huge decision what floor to go with would love more feedback from anyone who has had this installed. We also ran into a local tile store that is listed as "authorized" to install Revo who has no experience doing it and we don't want to be their "beta" test customer.

• Raymond Baker
    last year

I decided to revist this site to look at the comments since i last wrote. my flooring has been down for over 2 years without one issue. i’m the only person who submitted photo’s of the installed product and was prepared to standby my experience. The installation looks as good today as the day it was installed and cleaning is a breeze. No haze on the tile, as reported by one contibutor. My thoughts, installed correctly over surfaces recommended, this product will serve out my lifetime and beyond.

• HU-580304519
    last year

I love the porcelain tile - it is lovely in my kitchen and bathrooms. My only question is - has anyone had an issue with it leaving a strange film that is impervious to water and most standard houshold cleaners? It happened in 3 rooms that we used thie rapid grout required for the Revotile.

• lauraski
    last year

we installed the hearthstone tile in our kitchen. We have the glaze residue issue too, hoping someone can help me with a product to use to help clean it off. The installation was fairly easy, just the weight of the tile wore us out a bit as it was a large kitchen and front entryway.. The grout has held up well, no cracks and it is a very high traffic area. I am hoping someone can help me out with the spotty residue on the tile.

• HU-580304519
    last year

I have tried multiple applications in an attmpt to get rid of the haze. So far the most success I have had is with Mapei ultracare epoxy grout haze remover. It takes a lot of time and scrubbing. I applied the solution to a small area. Let it sit 20 - 30 minutes and then scrubbed with a sponge scrubber. Rinse thououghly afterwrds. It takes a great deal of time and effort to do a small space. My entire kitchen has grout haze. I have finally hired a floor company to come and strip the floor - I don't know if it will work any better but I don't have the time to spend one hour scrubbing a square foot of kitchen tile.The tile and grout is lovely - I just wish my contractor had known the grout was not like ordinary grout.

• HU-927220768
    last year

I'm going to install this quic tile in my living and kitchen area that is approx 1,000 sq ft I am a professional tile layer and master carpenter. I'll post here when done. I'm applying over a plywood subfloor.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I'm sure if will be lovely. Daltile makes good, affordable products. Just make sure you have a great installer.

We used a similar tile from Crossville in a kitchen several years ago. Client loves it because they have dogs, and it looks great:

Prospect St. Kitchen · More Info

Prospect St. Kitchen · More Info

• crankette
    last year

Does anyone have tips on installing the RevoTile? I’m about to toss it all out the window!!

• Raymond Baker
    last year
    last modified: last year

Have you seen my posts about this product - along with pictures of the installation i had done? You need help if you are an avid DIY. I found an expert tiler, who had no experience with this product, but had the skill set to work with this medium. i had laid floating floor before, but there is no flex in the tile, which means the technique is to insert the tile along the long length and slide it into position with persuasion using the block supplied. I opted for help, even though I would attempt installing laminate or VCT.

• mssmick78
    10 months ago

Looking at RevoTile. Ray, your posts are really helpful and your floors are beautiful. Anyone else have this in their home? How do we go about locating a tiler that has experience w/this product? I am in the Los Angeles, CA area.

• acdclosgatos
    Original Author
    9 months ago

mssmick78- There are Dal Tile stores and Slab locations in LA. Ask the Dal Tile retailers/ slab sales people about installers they recommend.

Make sure that your sub-floor is completely leveled, read the warranty completely, & ask the store what cleaner they recommend for their grout that won't void the warranty.

Here is a DIY blog about RevoTile: https://livingwithlady.com/2021/03/how-we-saved-a-ton-of-time-and-effort-using-revotile-in-our-mudroom.html 

Her floor looks beautiful. She is in Spokane, WA- where earthquakes tend to be less than 2.0 on average.

• HU-459388382
    3 months ago

Im installing it as we speak. it was free-left over from another job. the product is garbage and id rather have purchased regular tile. its a real headache to intall. its difficult to align the edges even on a level floor like mine and the edges where the tiles connect are very fragile. dont go this route if you can avoid it. its garbage and will soon be discontinued in my view.