Susan Rice may be the front-runner in Biden's VP selection

Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

In an interview on CBS This Morning, it was suggested that Susan Rice may be the best choice for Biden's running mate.

I have to say that I do not know that much about her, but what I do know, I like.

What are your feelings and thoughts about her? Would she help balance the ticket? As a former national security advisor, she seems to have qualifications on the national rather than regional level.

However, it was also said in the same interview that Florida would decide the election.

Why should Florida keep getting to select the president? Is it the crossroads of America - or even a cross-section?

I plan to vote, even though I know that in Los Angeles and California, my vote makes very little difference. Without the electoral college, my vote would matter a lot more.

SaveComment176Like1
Comments (176)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
queenmargo

Without the electoral college, my vote would matter a lot more.

and without the electoral college, many votes from rural areas would not matter. The electoral college is put in place for a reason but only the big populated Dem areas cry about the electoral college.

9 Likes Save    

I support one person = one vote.

18 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Yeah, because you live in one of those big populated Dem areas. LOL

3 Likes Save    

No, it's because I believe in equality.

24 Likes Save    
kadefol

I don't know anything about Susan Rice, will have to read up on her. I was hoping Katie Porter would be a candidate, but I guess she'll do more good staying in Congress.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
Toby

She's my first choice. She's got the chops to be president in 2024 too. We have to make that a top criteria.

I read today that no Republican has been elected without winning Florida. Trump has no path to the WH without FL. It's just a numbers game.

If Biden carries all the Hillary states, he only needs to pick up Florida and PA or Florida and AZ to win. He has a few other paths too--more than Trump has.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
blfenton

Obama's vp and Obama's national security advisor - trumps twitter fingers will have a field day.

She's pretty tightly connected to Benghazi, Hillary and Obama.

How about Secretary of State?

Save     Thanked by Lars
lurker111

Why should Florida keep getting to select the president?

They don't. We could have given Florida to hillary. She still would have lost.

Susan Rice? Swamp. Exactly what we don't want. More of the same failures.

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

Are we assuming that feminine energy whoever supplies it is a vote winner

Save    

^No. Sarah Palin proved that it is not.

I guess I just remembered that when Florida was given to Trump that the election was over.

As for failures - Trump has already cornered the market on that - not just him personally, but his crew of misfits as well.

11 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

I think Rice would be an excellent choice. Smart, capable, articulate, attractive, calm, reasonable. She is well informed and a quick learner. She is my choice.

4 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

Lars, yes. one person, one vote.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
haydayhayday

"Biden became the presumptive presidential nominee after Sanders dropped out on April 8, though the Democratic ticket will not be officially nominated until the 2020 Democratic National Convention in August 2020. Biden hopes to announce his running mate around August 1, 2020."

Hay

Save     Thanked by Lars
Kathy

If Biden wants to win Florida he might do well with Val Demings and her law and order background. Susan Rice would be great Sec of State with her foreign policy experience

haydayhayday

"Two African-American senators with eyes on the White House denounced the attack on Tuesday of "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett, who is black and openly gay, calling it a "modern-day lynching" that necessitates a Congressional response."

That would be Harris and Booker.

Hay

1 Like Save    
Toby

I guess I just remembered that when Florida was given to Trump that the election was over.

Correct.

Assuming Biden carries all Hillary states (which he will), these are his paths to 270:

FL and AZ = 272

FL and PA = 281

MI, PA, WI = 278

MI, PA, AZ = 279

MI, PA, NC = 283So Biden needs to pick a VP who can help him with those states. I think he likely has MI and PA but he can't win with them alone.

If Trump loses MI and PA, he still wins.

If Trump loses AZ and PA, he still wins.

If Trump loses AZ and MI, he still wins.

Save     Thanked by Lars
cattyles

I’m good with Rice. Why would you trumpers give rippity chit who Biden chooses for VP?

13 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
kadefol

I just read up on all of his potential picks (https://www.kosu.org/post/pros-and-cons-12-potential-running-mates-joe-biden) and if I had to pick one, I would go with Duckworth.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lars
Annie Deighnaugh

Oh I hope so...I think she's a wonderful option.

Save     Thanked by Lars
cattyles

Kathy, I really like Demmings, too. Frankly, I don’t care much but it’s an important decision for him.

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Any woman? No. It was that kind of thinking that made the Repubs. pick Palin--and lose.

Picking a good woman candidate--now that is the key to winning.

Kate

9 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
Stan Areted

HAHA, do tell.

Save    

More on Susan Rice.

It appears that her son is a Republican, and according to this Aussie web site, he is also white! I guess Archie Windsor is also white.

Of course the Republicans care who the choice of Biden's VP will be - they want someone who will be easier to defeat.

2 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

"Two African-American senators with eyes on the White House denounced the attack on Tuesday of "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett, who is black and openly gay, calling it a "modern-day lynching" that necessitates a Congressional response."

That would be Harris and Booker.

"On February 20, 2019, Smollett was indicted for disorderly conduct for allegedly paying the brothers to stage a fake hate crime assault on him and filing a false police report."

Just by coincidence, she meets that other lying, faking, racist hate monger, Al Sharpton on that same day.

"Sen. Kamala Harris wants to be president, but she doesn’t want to answer questions — not about Jussie Smollett, not about her father’s harsh remarks about her, not about anything

The California Democrat ducked every question posed by reporters Thursday when she met Al Sharpton for lunch at Sylvia’s restaurant in Harlem.

“I love Harlem,” was all Harris would say on her way out about Smollett, the actor who is accused of manufacturing his own gay-bashing in a case that has stunned the nation."

Eating lunch with Al Sharpton on the day Jussie, "modern day lynching", is shown to be a fraud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley_rape_allegations

Hay

2 Likes Save    
ronminsouthga

Susan Rice? google her. Susan rice Benghazi

3 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

The next Democratic VP could very well end up as our President when Old Joe dies on the job.

Hay

2 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

From early on, I thought Biden and Harris were headed to the roles of P and
VP

Early on they were all lovey-dovey.

Then she sucker punched him in the debate:

Hay

bfox254

I also don't know a lot about Susan Rice other than she appears to be highly qualified to be president. Important because I don't see Biden running for a second term. Benghazi? Now wouldn't it be ironic for republicans to stir that pot again when the Trump administration has 145,000+ covid deaths to its credit.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
HU-274840647

Will they bring us universal healthcare together do you think?

Save    
foodonastump

A Politico article on Karen Bass piqued my interest the other day.

Rice/Benghazi - I believe she was cleared of everything but you know how much Pubs love to yell Benghazi, and they’re loud about it.

But she seems really well qualified. Plus she and Biden have the same smile; nice pair.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars

Susan Rice does not want to be president, and this is one of the reasons she might make a good choice. Kamala Harris definitely does want to be president, and this might be a reason why she would be a less desirable choice. Benghazi was an extremely complicated situation and unfortunately beyond the comprehension of many Americans - therefore it is easy to spin it however one wants, whether truthfully or not.

4 Likes Save    
Toby

Susan Rice was chosen to go on the Sunday talk shows after the Benghazi attack and she recited the administration narrative that the attack was because of a video. It was an election year and they didn't want the GOP to use the attack against Obama when we hadn't had a terrorist attack under his watch. In essence, Rice "lied".

Now compare that to what Trump's staff has done to cover for his administration.

Nana H

She would be an excellent VP but I' m not sure she has the excitement value to run for President in 2024 .

Depends on what the end game is...a sympatico and well qualified VP who could easily be the President if something happened to Biden or someone who is being groomed for 2024.

The one thing I know for sure is that Biden is weighing it all ...he knows the importance of the job.

Save    
cattyles

I want the most boring Pres, VP, Cabinet and Administration ever in the history of forever. Bliss.

19 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
queenmargo

The one thing I know for sure is that Biden is weighing it all ...he knows the importance of the job.

Biden isn't "weighing" anything. He is just a face for the real power in charge.

4 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I've been hoping for Susan Rice to become the VP choice. I like her a lot. Mind you, I would never have boxed myself in with choosing a woman VP. That was a silly decision fro the get-go. And now the moment we are in is forcing another narrowing of choices. Biden did himself a massive disservice.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
Nana H

"Biden isn't "weighing" anything. He is just a face for the real power in charge."

Which would be whom....and how do you know it to be true?

Save    
queenmargo

Well, IF I knew who it was I would say..............and how do you know it is not true?

1 Like Save    
cattyles

Could be. And trump is just the puppet of Lucifer. That’s why he has to go in to Walter Reed sometimes; horn, tail and hoof trimming.

cattyles

Exclusive photo. Past due on the horn maintenance and no makeup.

Kitchenwitch111

Susan Rice certainly has the experience to be a good VP, but to me she is too associated with the past administration and I want to move forward. I was very impressed with Val Demings during the impeachment trial. She’s from Florida and has been in law enforcement including as the Police Chief of Orlando, and she won’t leave a Senate seat vacant. I think she would be a good choice.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
Stan Areted

One thing, she lies on command, a prerequisite for a Biden presidency.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

Stan Areted

One thing, she lies on command, a prerequisite for a Biden presidency.

Then trump and everyone in his administration are really dems?Who'd have thunk it...

11 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars

Trump has already confirmed that lying is politically acceptable. I think he is going for a Guinness World Record for the number of lies told by a president to the American public.

Lying is a way of life for Trump. In fact, I think telling the truth might be extremely painful and difficult for him.

Some people learn from their past missteps, and some people are incapable. Someone who is a sociopath and compulsive liar (Trump) is incapable of change or positive growth. No one is perfect and everyone is capable of making mistakes - the important thing is to learn from mistakes rather than to deny that they are ever made.

9 Likes Save    
heri_cles

I think choosing a female VP candidate was a great idea. It just had to be done sooner or later.

Rice is yet another qualified candidate. Pick her and lets go.

99 bottles of beer on the wall..

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
leona_2008

trump supporters got gall all right.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Re Karen Bass as potential VP.

I like Bass, and I like her politics . . . but she will be attacked as part of the so-called coastal elites since she's from Los Angeles, and the state that conservatives love to hate -- California.

I have no idea if a VP Los Angeles and/or California would be a help or hindrance to Biden's campaign.

On second thought, since L.A. is an ATM for the Democratic Party, and Bass' hometown, we'd be having the same Obama-era traffic armageddons when VP Bass comes to town for fund raising. At least four years of traffic nightmares on L.A.'s Westside.

Save     Thanked by Lars
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Here are some interesting musings on Biden's VP choice--an opinion piece from the Detroit News, couple months ago:

---------------------------

"Opinion: Biden should make Obama his running mate

[. . .]

No, the former president should not run for vice president. Instead, Biden should promise the voters he will nominate Obama to fill the first vacancy on the Supreme Court after Jan. 20.

[. . .]

This could help shift the balance of the U.S. Senate from Republican to Democratic and away from Sen. Mitch McConnell, the cynical Kentucky manipulator who stole a court seat from Obama in 2016.

[. . .]

Obama — a 58-year-old constitutional scholar — could help to repair the legal and moral carnage of the Trump era. He could serve for decades and provide judicial backup for the New Deal-style reforms necessary to fix the social safety net.

[. . .]

Certainly, there is precedent to name a former president to the Supreme Court.

Almost a century ago, President Warren Harding chose former President William Howard Taft, whose nine years (1921-30) as chief justice were better than his four years (1909-13) as chief executive.

Both, by the way, were Republicans.

[. . .]

Critics might say an Obama “candidacy” for the court would be unprecedented. They would be correct. It would be just as unprecedented as the seat denied to Merrick Garland by McConnell when Obama was president."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/2020/05/27/opinion-biden-should-make-obama-his-running-mate/5263883002/

-----------------------------

As for the women selections for VP, I say he should pick one of the younger women who is fairly moderate and not just running on "personality" like Sarah Palin did.

Susan Rice could be an interesting choice, but I have two reservations about her: 1) she has never run for office--I would think Biden wants someone with campaigning experience; and 2) "Benghazi." Fair or not, that charge will follow around behind her wherever she goes--if there is a Repub. anywhere in sight.

As someone observed above, I'd prefer a choice that didn't bring along bad vibes from the past.

Kate

Nana H

I didn't realize that Val Demmings was the police chief of Orlando. Lots of pluses to her......in no particular order, Black, female, Florida, law and order......OK so maybe they are in order ; ) Great choice.

She is also very smart and articulate...I think she would campaign well but not sure she is the light them on fire type.

ETA Several polls of late show Biden preferred over Trump regarding law and order. Personally I think Trump's approach to the issue is very unpopular with the majority. A seasoned law and order professional could talk very knowledgeably on the subject. Biden could even name her his Law and Order "czar" which could be very effective on the campaign trail.

Save     Thanked by Lars
HU-274840647

Trump creates mayhem in Portland- presents himself as the law and order president, Trump can’t drink from a glass or walk down a slope or make sense- Trump goes after Biden’s gaffes. Fauci throws a ball Trump throws a fit.

leona_2008

"Benghazi." Fair or not, that charge will follow around behind her wherever she goes--if there is a Repub. anywhere in sight.

As someone observed above, I'd prefer a choice that didn't bring along bad vibes from the past.

Kate

My thoughts exactly. I am not set on anyone in particular but Val Demmings interests me and I love Stacey Abrams' fire.

vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Rice would be Nice...but as others have pointed out the gop smear machine would be cranked up to maximum. Their Benghazi smear rehash after all these years would fall flat in the face of the real time daffy donald trumpism.

1 Like Save    
mr1010

I've watched Val Demmings come up through the ranks here in Orlando. Formerly a social worker on the streets, she was a popular Orlando Chief of Police. Doesn't hurt that her husband was also Chief of Police and now Mayor of Orange Co. (Orlando). They both are full time civil servants as their children are grown.

my only concern with her is her lack of national and international gov't. experience.

I view this V.P. as a potential Pres. should something happen to Biden. How old was Biden's father when he passed? this could be important.

Kathy

Mr1010, One of the most important attributes a person requires to be POTUS IMO, is the ability to place the proper people in the proper positions. People with expertise in their fields that are trustworthy.

This is why the Trump admin is such a failure. He only trusts his family or those who are loyal to him, not expertise or knowledge of their appointed positions. His priorities are skewed.

I think Val Demings would have that ability as she has Congress in her background not just Florida and she has a background in law. I think there are very competent foreign policy experts that she could draw from as advisors and she has the capability to make a reasoned decision if need be.

dublinbay z6 (KS)

I agree, mr1010--I'm also concerned about Demings' lack of national and international gov't experience.

I still haven't seen much about Stacey Abrams, but would like to know more about her. My first impression of her was that she has too "strong" a personality--she might take over and dominate the ticket (like Palin started to on the McCain-Palin ticket), but I have since begun to think that Biden would rise to the challenge, so it would really be more a question of whether he would feel comfortable working with her or not.

Kate

Nana H

Obama didn't have that either which is one of the reasons he picked Biden. If, God forbid, something should happen to Biden she could choose a VP that filled any skill gaps she may feel she has.

Nobody is perfect ...so much depends on what it is Biden is looking for in a partner.

Kathy

If Demings doesn’t have the experience for national or International experience then it follows Stacy Adams doesn’t either and she has even less because she has additionally never been in Congress.

I agree Biden must feel comfortable working with the person he picks to run but there are other considerations in this race where Stacy or Val might still be the best choice even lacking foreign experience if they pull in voters.

mr1010

Biden's dad passed at 86 in 2002 so Joe has 8 more years if genetics play a part.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2002-09-03-0209030023-story.html

cattyles

That’s good news. Thanks for looking that up mr1010.

mr1010

You're Welcome. Gotta plan for all possibilities.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the room where VP is being discussed.

Which potential VP would help in garnering votes? That may be the clencher.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

Two minutes ago.

"Biden hopes to announce his running mate around August 1, 2020."

Hay

Save     Thanked by Lars
Nana H

No way it is Kamala.

Save    
haydayhayday

I know very, very little about Rice.

I know more than I want to know about Kamala.

I hope Kamala has had her 15 minutes and her time is up.

I can't imagine Rice being worse than Kamala.

Hay

Save    
cattyles

Why not, Nana?

Save    
Nana H

Smart, articulate, experinced and boring. The Dems do not need two hangovers from the Obama administration.....one is bad enough.

Save    
haydayhayday

"No way it is Kamala."

How much you willing to risk on that?

Easy money in just a couple of days or are you just blowing smoke?

Hay

1 Like Save    
Nana H

My opinion is she is not at all sympatico with Biden. However, I do think he may nominate her as AG ....and with a Democratically controlled Senate ,she is a shoe in ...; )

Save     Thanked by Lars
haydayhayday

Who you cheering for? I'm confused.

"shoo-in", as in: all you gotta do is shout, "shoo!", and they're over the finish line.

Hay

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

"It came from horse racing, where a shoo-in was the winner of a rigged race. In turn that seems to have come from the verb shoo, meaning to drive a person or an animal in a given direction by making noises or gestures, which in turn comes from the noise people often make when they do it."

Hay

Save    
Nana H

"Who you cheering for? I'm confused"

If I thought there was even a small chance of an intelligent dialogue I'd respond...but there isn't.

haydayhayday

"No way it is Kamala."

Anyone want to tell me what that is meaning to say?

Sounds like it might mean that there's no way it can be Kamala.

Is that it?

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Then, maybe it means No way! It is Kamala!

Hay

Save    
Nana H

My point made.....

2 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

If anyone thinks they can tell me what Nana is saying, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

Hay

Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

Ben Who? Wasnt that some guy in the 1990s, there was some scandal about something or other, having to do with some guy name Ben Gahazi or something?

Save    
haydayhayday

"No way"?

Whatever Nana is trying to say, is "no way" part of it?

Doesn't "no way" basically mean "impossible"?

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

I love this forum.

Never disappointed.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Meanwhile, just now.

Hay

Save     Thanked by Lars
foodonastump

Hay - Been meaning to ask for a while. Any particular reason you switched to predictit a while back? Only advantage I see is it’s got domestic betting. But it’s limited $$$ so I’m not sure how seriously I take it. They’re often out of step with other betting sites, including now.

Save    
haydayhayday

FOAS:

"Hay - Been meaning to ask for a while. Any particular reason you switched to predictit a while back? Only advantage I see is it’s got domestic betting. But it’s limited $$$ so I’m not sure how seriously I take it. They’re often out of step with other betting sites, including now."

I'm curious, too. Show me the site that you're watching.

I've said before why I use it. Basically because it's easy....easiest...for most people on this forum to understand. The other betting sites are a lot harder for someone not accustomed to betting terms and such to understand. That's the reason in a nutshell.

There's lots of reasons that I don't like it, but it serves its purpose. It has flaws, for sure, but, on average, over time, it will, by necessity, have to agree with all the other betting sites.

Answer your questions?

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Hay

Save     Thanked by Lars

People are betting on this?

Save    
foodonastump

I don’t “follow” any but here are two that don’t show Rice nearly so high. Other differences noteworthy, too.

Save    
haydayhayday

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2020/democratic-vp-nominee/bet-history/kamala-harris

The very latest bet I see for Kamala is .3518 at time 22:19 (35/19 is the "Odds". I converted that to be consistent with the numbers I use. )

The very latest bet at predict is .40 at this moment.

28 minutes ago, per my post above, Kamala was .38

That's all consistent with my thinking, I think.

Things are changing very quickly right now so it's hard to do much real time comparison.

Wait five minutes and who knows?
Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Five minutes later

Kamala at oddschecker .358

Kamala at predict .42

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Two minutes later

Kamala at oddschecker .42

Kamala at predict .42

Bingo!!!!

Hay

Save    
Save    

What does this quote on that site mean: "Prime assss real estate on the line here. It's time for Susan to finally get BTFO." I can't figure out BTFO - the nearest I can guess is "Biden To F... Off," or "Back To Fort Ord." Am I close? I'm not a gambler, and so I never bet, and I never buy lottery tickets.

August 1 is only four days away, and so it is getting close, although I doubt the polls really have a good idea of who the choice will be. Personally, I would prefer Pete Buttigieg, but he cannot pass the gender test😞.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Blown the heck out. Not heck.

foodonastump

I see your point, Hay, not verifying minute by minute and anyway what do they have to justify big swings besides best guesses, chasing each other around, and apparently accidentally published Politico articles.

Save     Thanked by Lars
haydayhayday

"I see your point, Hay, not verifying minute by minute and anyway what do they have to justify big swings besides best guesses, chasing each other around, and apparently accidentally published Politico articles."

Who knows what prompts them to bet?

Who cares?

(Other than you?)

My interest in the betting is that, as crazy as it may look to you and me, the "bettors", in my humble opinion, (shared by many who think about these things), will be the ones who will give most of us the early indications of what's going on behind the scenes.

Another example of that thinking which I use a lot is to check this site very frequently:

https://www.investing.com/equities/most-active-stocks

I'll click on the column "Chg. %" which will rank them according to their change on the day. That's where I'm always finding the latest news on some vaccine or treatment or something like that. The stock will jump that day and you'll all be reading about it that night.

And, watch, too, that, sometime before Biden comes out and announces, there will.... if things unfold as is typical.... there will be a significant move in these markets. Insider trading is not restricted to just Wall Street.

You heard it here first.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Mr. 1010:

"I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the room where VP is being discussed."

You better believe someone is doing their very best to be that fly. A lot of money could be made by the flies in this world. If they only knew.

They're getting so good with miniaturization that one day you'll hear about the man who made a fortune on the betting sites with his "fly on the wall".

You heard it here first.

Hay

Save    
elvis

sheesh(5b)

I think Rice would be an excellent choice. Smart, capable, articulate, attractive, calm, reasonable. She is well informed and a quick learner. She is my choice.

Those certainly sound like good qualities for most jobs: bartender, even.

But the "attractive" adjective doesn't belong. Her looks are irrelevant. That's a sexist POV.

Save    
Toby

Nope. She hasn't shown any prejudice against Rice for her gender. I bet she'd say the same thing about a male candidate who is attractive.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/sexism

Save     Thanked by Lars
Kathy

Hay, I was wondering why Eastman Kodak was up 203% from the page you posted.

Then I found this. A big investment from the Government for Hydroxy

https://apple.news/AAEmYHhGXS06n-xn9fiLtWA

1 Like Save    
cattyles

Lars, I get the impression Pete is going to be offered something. And he has lots of time ahead of him to do great things. He’ll be around and he soaks up knowledge like a sponge.

haydayhayday

Kathy:

"Hay, I was wondering why Eastman Kodak was up 203% from the page you posted.

Then I found this. A big investment from the Government for Hydroxy"

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

There you go. A good example of what I'm talking about.

Here's a chart for 5 days.

On Friday, the stock closed at $2.10.

On Monday, yesterday, the stock closed at $2.62. A whopping 25%!!!!

Insider trading?

Bears repeating:

"And, watch, too, that, sometime before Biden comes out and announces, there will.... if things unfold as is typical.... there will be a significant move in these markets. Insider trading is not restricted to just Wall Street."

And, today, the news comes out and the stock is closing at $7.94.

Wouldn't you love to be the fly on the wall at Eastman Kodak in the last week?

Or the fly in the West Wing of the White House?

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

"But the "attractive" adjective doesn't belong. Her looks are irrelevant. That's a sexist POV"

That's the reality.

Looks certainly do matter. In a very significant way.

In some ideal world, when we get there, maybe how attractive you are won't be a significant factor, but, for now, it's a big reason I got this far ahead in life.

Hay

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

That, my charm and my "intelligent dialogue".

Notice: Time to get my kneaded bread into the oven and fix dinner.

Hay

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

Meanwhile, outside my fantasy world.....

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Biden has said that he wants to decide "around August 1"

Any bets on just exactly when that will be?

I wouldn't bet much, but I'd bet it won't be on the weekend days.

Nobody'd be around to hear it.

ETA: I went looking:

Politico:

By MAX COHEN

07/28/2020 05:37 PM EDT

"Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, said on Tuesday that he would choose his running mate in the first week of August following months of anticipation."

Hay

Save    
foodonastump

Who cares?

(Other than you?)

Why pay attention if you don’t care? Five hours ago they were in a dead heat. Now it’s not even close. Why even look at it if you’re not curious why?

haydayhayday

Meanwhile:

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

FOAS:

"....anyway what do they have to justify big swings besides best guesses, chasing each other around, and apparently accidentally published Politico articles."

Looking like the surge for Kamala this afternoon may have been caused by a flash of a "cheat sheet" at Biden's speech and taking questions session.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/biden-s-notes-display-do-not-hold-grudges-against-sen-n1235153

Hay

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Hay, that’s the point. The fly in the WH. Trump just gave 250M to Eastman Kodak today to manufacture ingredients for Hydroxy. Then he tweeted a nonsense tweet about Hydroxy. . What was that about?

haydayhayday

Good Morning!

I'm just now seeing this comment:

FOAS:

"Why pay attention if you don’t care? Five hours ago they were in a dead heat. Now it’s not even close. Why even look at it if you’re not curious why?"

Those were off the cuff, casual remarks of mine that you're quoting and referring to:

Hay:

Who cares?

(Other than you?)

In my version, I had immediately added in the next words of mine:

"My interest in the betting is that, as crazy as it may look to you and me, the "bettors", in my humble opinion, (shared by many who think about these things), will be the ones who will give most of us the early indications of what's going on behind the scenes."

I think I answered your question, "Why even look at it if you’re not curious why?" even before you asked it!

/////////////////////////////////////////

No need to focus on a casual, off the cuff remark.

The big picture is that, I don't really care, on an individual basis, why the great majority of people make their individual bets. It's the big picture I'm interested in.

This is typical around here and, if you want to pursue it, I'm happy to do it. Another round and round we go over nothing?

Good morning!

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

On the other hand.....

Kathy:

"Hay, that’s the point. The fly in the WH. Trump just gave 250M to Eastman Kodak today to manufacture ingredients for Hydroxy. Then he tweeted a nonsense tweet about Hydroxy. . What was that about?"

I have very, very little interest in dwelling on Everything Trump. Too much of that already around here.

Hay

1 Like Save    
heri_cles

Less than 100 Days of Trump left now..

haydayhayday

"Too much of that already around here."

Non stop TDS.

Hay

1 Like Save    
heri_cles

TDS = To be Determined Soon.

haydayhayday

TDS

Notice:

Hay

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Eastman Kodak up to 21.00 today. It paid to watch where Trump put our tax money. Someone made some big bucks.

Save     Thanked by Lars
haydayhayday

Hay

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"Less than 100 Days of Trump left now.."

Tho 175 days until January 20th. That is 75 days of intense revenge.

haydayhayday

Whoa!!!

That got my attention!

Hay

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Woulda been nice to catch that at 25¢

Save     Thanked by Lars
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Hay, got any stats on Trump dropping out before Nov?

Save     Thanked by Lars
haydayhayday

FOAS:

"Woulda been nice to catch that at 25¢"

Basically, right back down. False alarm?

The comments seem to be thinking it's not much more than a reflection of a very "thin" market.

"There's lots of reasons that I don't like it, but it serves its purpose. It has flaws, for sure, but, on average, over time, it will, by necessity, have to agree with all the other betting sites."

A good illustration of one reason I have problems with that market?

Hay

Save    
foodonastump

Yep.

Save    
haydayhayday

vgkg

"Hay, got any stats on Trump dropping out before Nov?"

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/6799/Will-Donald-Trump-drop-out-before-November-1

Hay

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

FOAS:

"Yep."

Same problem as markets in general.

Remember trying to buy N95's or toilet paper back in March April?

Plywood after a hurricane?

"Shortages"?

Hay

Save    
Ann

Harris is certainly getting traction in the betting market right now. I kind of like seeing that because I think she's an absolutely dreadful, unlikable person. I've always thought that of her but especially from the Kavanaugh hearings on. She doesn't even fake being nice very well. Her own presidential campaign did not go far. Her manner, presentation, and style just stink. I mean that in terms of personality and demeanor, not physical appearance. She dresses very professionally and looks nice, but she's a witch!

She's a great pick!

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Not happening...yes a prediction and yes I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong. She offers absolutely nothing to the campaign:

• She has shown herself not be a great campaigner
  • She is from a State that is not even remotely in play
  • She and Biden are far from sympatico

Now AG.....dynamite!

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

I’m far less confident but hope you’re right.

Save    
Nana H

FOAS..if he picks her I may have to move over to the Biden dementia column.

Save    
haydayhayday

"FOAS..if he picks her I may have to move over to the Biden dementia column."

Who is "her"?

Anyone?

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

I think it might be Kamala.

Do I get two guesses?

Hay

Save    
Ann

Yeah, we're talking about Kamala.

Save    
haydayhayday

Nana:

"No way it is Kamala."

cattyles:

"Why not, Nana?"

Nana:

"Smart, articulate, experinced and boring. The Dems do not need two hangovers from the Obama administration.....one is bad enough."

Nana:

"My opinion is she is not at all sympatico with Biden. However, I do think he may nominate her as AG ....and with a Democratically controlled Senate ,she is a shoe in ...; )"

Who are "two hangovers"?

Anyone?

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

We cross posted, Ann.

Thanks.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

So, I'm back to my initial confusion:

"Smart, articulate, experinced and boring. The Dems do not need two hangovers from the Obama administration.....one is bad enough."

Is Biden one of the hangovers?

Isn't Rice a hangover?

"Susan Elizabeth Rice... is an American diplomat, Democratic policy advisor, and former public official who served as the 27th United States ambassador to the United Nations from 2009 to 2013 and as the 24th United States national security advisor from 2013 to 2017."

Is Kamala also a hangover? How so?

Anyone?

Hay

1 Like Save    

McCain had lots of choices in 2008, but chose a wild card instead.

I rather doubt Kamala Harris will be the choice, but then I also have doubts about Susan Rice, even though she is my favorite among the current contenders.

Save    
haydayhayday

"McCain had lots of choices in 2008, but chose a wild card instead."

If I ever had any thoughts that McCain was competent, they were dashed at that point.

Just incredibly incredible.

One more confirmation that essentially all politicians are not worthy of being leaders of anything.

And some of you are still so intent on giving the government even more control over our lives?

Just incredibly incredible.
Hay

Save    
Ann

Wild cards are rather common. I'm often surprised when I hear the VP choice and I also often think - who's that. For example, I didn't know anything about Palin and little about Pence.

Save    
haydayhayday

Ann:

"I didn't know anything about Palin"

How long did it take you to know all you needed to know about Palin?

Took me about two seconds.

McCain had much more time and resources than I. Two seconds is all it took. Maybe five.

Is Kamala also a hangover? How so?

Any thoughts on that?

Hay

Save    
foodonastump

Took me about two seconds.

I lasted a little longer.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

FOAS:

"I lasted a little longer."

Slow learner?

Hay

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

I don't think McCain was ever really thought to be very smart.

"McCain graduated from the Naval Academy in June 1958; he was fifth from the bottom in class rank, 894th out of 899"

If he hadn't spent all those years in Hanoi and had the family connections, we may never have known much about him at all.

(Trump, too, in his own way, so no one needs to add it. "One more confirmation that essentially all politicians are not worthy of being leaders of anything.")

Hay

Save    
heri_cles

I laugh at Trumpers who say that Warren, Harris or Rice would alienate so-called moderate Republicans. Look these people will never vote for Biden under any circumstances, so who cares if they claim to be alienated by a VP pick or what they think about anyone or anything ?

Pence appeals to no one in either party.

haydayhayday

Today's Specials at the Market.

Hay

Save    
Save     Thanked by Lars
haydayhayday

KEY POINTS

• "A group of Biden allies, including a few of his top donors, initiated a campaign against Harris close to a month ago, just weeks before a decision is expected.
  • The concerns focus on her attacks on Biden during a primary debate last year, bringing into question her loyalty to the former vice president.
  • Some also argue that she’s too ambitious and that she will be solely focused on eventually becoming president. "

"Some of Joe Biden’s allies are waging a campaign behind the scenes to stop Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., from becoming his vice president.

This disgruntled group of at least a dozen Biden backers, including a few of his top donors, initiated the move against Harris close to a month ago...."

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lots of goodies in the article for you.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/29/biden-allies-move-to-stop-kamala-harris-from-becoming-vice-president.html

Hay

Save    

This endorsement says it all:

<Trump himself on Wednesday told reporters he believed Harris would be a “fine choice” to be Biden’s running mate.>

Save    
foodonastump

LOL, probably because of the word “endorsement“ I first read “relieved!“

bfox254

Susan Rice and Kamala Harris are both smart, capable, accomplished women who aren't afraid to speak up. I'd be happy with either as VP pick, although Amy K. still would have been my first choice.

Save     Thanked by Lars

I also like Amy K. and think she would be a good choice. Maybe she will be the wild card this time, as I don't think she's on the short list. I think she could be very good a pulling in moderate voters and helping in swing state, but then no one is listening to me, since I'm not on Twitter.

At this point, I think it is all about winning - something Trump is very good at - and so some concessions may need to be made.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I think Amy withdrew her name from consideration a couple of weeks ago.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Ann

Tonight, Tucker asked Perino who she thought the VP pick would be. She wouldn't answer besides saying she thinks it won't be Rice. She gave reasons but I was only paying half attention and can't remember what they were.

Save    
heri_cles

I don't think so-called moderate voters will vote for Trump because they don't like Biden's VP selection.

heri_cles

Pick any one of them and let's go !

maifleur03

I have thought that Biden made a poor choice when he mentioned that his VP would be a woman. It gives the never a woman group a chance to spread the idea that if Biden would die horrors an unqualified woman would take his place. To them any woman would be unqualified. If he had waited until the nomination and just announced a name it would not have been better.

I think that picking a woman based on her qualifications instead of gender says more than picking a woman based first on her gender and then on her qualifications, as qualifications should not be based on gender. Eliminating men from the competition means that women are not competing against men and therefore cannot claim to have been chosen over a man. It makes their victory less sweet.

It's fine to choose a woman, but to say that a woman must be chosen is not the way to do it. I'm all for picking a woman - just do not announce ahead of time that only a woman will be considered.

I happen to like Susan Rice, and her gender has nothing to do with it.

9 Likes Save    
palisades_

Biden may not last through his term so whoever he picks as a VP would have great potential to succeed him. If he picks a woman, who knows we could finally have a first Madame President.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Well, there's no doubt about that^^^. If he wins, I doubt he'll last even a year in office. Doesn't everyone "know that"?

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Ask 87 year old Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

Kate

vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Biden dying is just political demagoguery redux of Hillary dying.

haydayhayday

Meanwhile, a new name in town.

Karen Bass:

Read all about it:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/joe-biden-running-mate/index.html

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

I'm not sure what to think about this little surge other than he's got some health issues or something.

What's this all about?

Hay

Save    
queenmargo

palisades_

Biden may not last through his term so whoever he picks as a VP would have great potential to succeed him. If he picks a woman, who knows we could finally have a first Madame President.

OH MY..........

I believe this may be the plan. If I were Biden I would drop out before I would be taken out.

Save    
heri_cles

If I were Biden I would drop out before I would be taken out.

Trump will be taken out in November.

foodonastump

The campaign hasn’t finalized a date for naming a running mate, but three people who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the plans said a public announcement likely wouldn’t happen before the week of Aug. 10. That’s one week before Democrats will hold their convention to officially nominate Biden as their presidential nominee.

(WAPO)

Save     Thanked by Lars
foodonastump

Guess they’re not sold on anyone either.

Save     Thanked by Lars

< If I were Biden I would drop out before I would be taken out.>
If you were Biden, you would probably commit suicide!

Save    
cattyles

Karen Bass is being linked to Scientology for some reason. She may be out.

foodonastump

Plus the Castro stuff whatever that was about...

Save     Thanked by Lars
Ann

Whoever the VP pick is, they'll get HEAVY scrutiny because of the important role they may need to play should Biden win - based on Biden's fading mental state. In fact, they already are getting heavy scrutiny. Even groups of Dems are attacking various possible picks for various reasons.

Save    
Iris GW

I believe this may be the plan. If I were Biden I would drop out before I would be taken out.

Cool new series for those interested.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

Iris, they should have named it “Proof of the Deep State, Pizzagate, and Obama’s Nigerian Birth” so the people that need to see it will watch.

2 Likes Save    
olliesmom

This is just the beginning of anyone wanting Biden for pres. He has boxed himself into a corner, with a very short, unqualified (as far as they all have their baggage) VP list now, saying he would pick a woman for VP, and now it has to be a black woman, because he is the left's puppet. He doesn't think for himself.

1 Like Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

Wow. The conservatives/RW have trotted out all their talking points here, haven't they?

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Biden’s declining mental state is a Republican Hoax.

1 Like Save    
sheesh(5b)

Desperate measures.

Save    
cattyles

Olliesmom, it could be that all the contenders for VP are more than qualified. And many Democrats agree that it’s time to acknowledge black women’s contributions (talent, support, hard work) to our country. The conspiracy theories and lies won’t hurt Biden. It’s not like he’s going to lose the vote of trump apologists and Qers.

Save    
Kathy

Biden said his cabinet will look like the US. I don’t believe he has promised more. He will pick whoever it is he thinks will complement and balance him-and someone with whom he feels a rapport.

Save    
foodonastump

it could be that all the contenders for VP are more than qualified.

That’s what we heard about our “P” choice too but they all fell like bricks. I’m afraid this delay is more about him not loving his choices than being overwhelmed with all the great ones. He let that Harris memo picture be taken to see what it would do to his odds, it didn’t hurt so that’s who he’ll go with. That’s where my money would be, anyway, simpatico or not.

Save    
Toby

Maybe after Biden announces, Trump will pick a new VP to bring some excitement to his campaign. That's what motivated McCain to pick Palin.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Pets Pet-Proofing Your Home: A Room-by-Room Guide
Not all pet dangers are obvious. Keep furry friends safe and sound by handling all of these potential hazards
Full Story
Earth Day 5 Ideas for a More Earth-Friendly Garden
Consider increasing the size of garden beds, filtering rainwater and using plants to reduce energy use
Full Story
Decorating Guides 28 Design Ideas Coming to Homes Near You in 2017
Set to go big: Satin brass, voice assistants, vanity conversions, spring green and more
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
For nearly 20 years Grow Landscapes, Inc. has proven to be a leader in the industry in terms of design,... Read More