SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nil_fer_erdoganhamilton

Maple engineered wood floor is that normal ?

Nilüfer Erdogan Hamilton
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Comments (35)

• Nilüfer Erdogan Hamilton
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They just installed my wood yesterday company owner only ordered 27 box of for 639 seqft are. They used every single plank in the boxes. Please advise if this is defective wood? I have all over the my rooms

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Looks like typical wood flooring to me. What grade was it?

• Related Discussions

Solid wood vs. engineered wood flooring

Q

Comments (2)
    solid wood is 3/4" thick. You can sand down to where the nails are which is where the 'tongue' is. Engineered wood is 3 5 or 7 plys with a veneer of hardwood on top. Its generally more stable than a solid. There is no intrinsic advantage of a solid over engineered, though there is a perceived difference as one is 'thicker'. That has really nothing to do with anything. Factory finishes are generally far more durable than anything you can do on site. Unfinished allows you to stain any color and sanding will make the floor real flat and smooth. Prefinished you can't pick stain color other than the std colors, and generally will have overwood if the floor isn't perfectly level. As anything in this industry there are tradeoffs to all flooring materials.
    ...See More

Shaw Engineered Maple vs. Bruce Solid Maple flooring

Q

Comments (3)
    My subfloor is not slab so I can do either. I had originally thought of doing solid, so I could refinish them, but I have a budget of $5/SF and this Bruce solid is the only one in my budget that is 5 inches wide. Alas, reviews of their solid floors seem quite poor, although I have not read any reviews specifically of their Kennedale line, which the store salesman tells me is very high quality. I have read that the engineered is better for wider planks. So that is one consideration. I also read that the Shaw finish is very durable and scratch resistant. I am hoping to buy a Roomba and have that sweep up every day, keeping dust to a minimum. The darker wood really sets off my white cabinetry well, somI prefer to go as dark as I can allow. Doesmany one own a Roomba and can speak to how well those work?
    ...See More

Characteristics of a good engineering maple wood flooring

Q

Comments (0)
    I plan to put maple engineering wood floor in natural color in my home office. I like its quite, clean look. We don't have kids and pets in the house. I got a few samples from flooring stores. The flooring installer says I should just pick the one I like since first quality products (instead of factory clear out, or seconds) all have good warranties. Is this true? Could anyone please teach me how to tell if one product is better than others? What characteristics should I look for in a sample? What is the reasonable price range for a quality floor? Does brand name of a company matter? What width is ideal? Thank you in advance for your inputs.
    ...See More

Has anyone used Maple Cardiff engineered wood flooring by Malibu?

Q

Comments (1)
    I haven't but do really like it and am considering it. Have you purchased it?
    ...See More
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am not sure what grade was

. Yukon maple shaw flooring Heavy scraped. I really didn’t know much about the floor. My sister has same flooring and I like it in her house. we used different installer I don’t know if the wood has splits or has cheks. Also a lot of plank has small knots look a like pine hole. I might be freaking out for no reason I just wanted to verify.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

These planks with splits in them should have been culled. The installer didn't order enough overage (trying to save money on your order). The 'pin holes' are birds eye maple. Birds eye is HIGHLY desirable....if you know it is coming.

If you are unhappy you better tell the installer NOW. They will have to order more of the same floor (and they MUST know the lot number) and have them remove the split planks. The birds eye should stay...because it isn't considered a flaw.

Please check how long the floor was allowed to acclimate in your house with the A/C on and the HUMIDITY CONTROL going at all times (ahem...you do have humidity control in your home, don't you?).

What is your CURRENT humidity rating right now?

Original Author
    3 years ago

That’s the problem no one told me about humidiy control they didn’t bring wood before the installation. Its in the contract very small font saying they are not responsible from humidity check. That’s all. One person did strait pattern lay out other did random lay out pattern my bedrooms half way strait pattern half way random. Installer was all worried they won’t have enough material to finish whole house. What if they say we can’t do anything about it your responsibility to check humidity before the installation. They finished the job on Saturday. I have 2 plank left two of them split like I have on my floor. Should I show him that ?

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Find the INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS for your product and look to see if the wood requires acclimation (that means to leave the wood in the SPACE for several days). If you can find the place where it says that, you know the installers did it wrong. And THAT'S how you get them to come back.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'strait pattern'. You will need to show us photos. And any planks that have VISUAL defects are NEVER to be installed. Those split planks are NOT to be installed. But the installers did it anyway. That is THEIR fault and they are responsible (financially) for removing them.

Photos of the 'strait pattern' please.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Original Author
    3 years ago

That’s one room lay out. I am not a pro I just look online and see what’s is the difference

Original Author
    3 years ago

Original Author
    3 years ago

This is another room. I am seeing more small pice of wood in between long plank. I looked online that call random patterns with random size of wood they use when they instal. But I am not sure of course.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes Shaw flooring website specifically says they have to bring the wood home tempature before the installation. Also says inataller and homeowners responsibility to check damage or defective wood floor before installation. So this things will avoid my warranty because they didn’t flow the company instructions. But I done understand why is my responsibility to check all the wood I am don’t know what is considered wood defects. Also I read all the Shaw flooring review as well I am freaking out now 🥺

Original Author
    3 years ago

Original Author
    3 years ago

Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    3 years ago

You have heavy scraped flooring which often has character. The short pieces should have been used for starters or cuts but otherwise it looks like I would expect it to. The cosmetic marks have nothing to do with humidity.

Different manufacturers of engineered flooring give different recommendations on acclimation but many don't recommend it. It's not particularly affected by humidity so I suspect the ones that do recommend are doing so due to possible temperature issues.

FYI, flooring is inspected from a standing height of 50" so you can put away your microscope. ;)

Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi I am sorry but I am trying to understand. So are you trying to tell me that’s all normal or not. Picture I have send it its noticeable when you walk. I have to take a picture closer because other wise wont show in the pictures. What is consider cosmetic marks?

Is this considered as cosmetic marks? Before they come and look my floor I would like to have as much as information if that’s is defective or not . Because they might say it’s humid issue home related and refuse to fixe. I really want to know how to start my argument if they refuse to help. Thanks for your help

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Rub your finger tips of the areas of concern. If you can fit your fingernail into one of the long splits and that finger nail can go deeper than the finish sitting over top, then the LONG splits are an issue (the one's that run almost the length of the board.

If, on the other hand the finish FILLS IN over top of the split that means it came out of the factory that way and it *might be part of your 'heavy scraped character'.

In the flooring world the word "character" is often used as a nice way of saying 'flaws'. That can includes nots left in the wood...sometimes the nots fall out...but that can be considered (by some) to be acceptable.

In the flooring world the word "character" is often used as a nice way of saying 'flaws'. That can includes nots left in the wood...sometimes the nots fall out...but that can be considered (by some) to be acceptable.

I'm seeing (from first photo to the last = 11 photos):

1. A split in the veneer with stain inside the crack...possible concern...possibly acceptable

2. Birds eye maple - no issue there

3. Saw chatter or 'heavy scraping' at the edge - not an issue (unless it is rough enough to catch your sock)

4. Small split in the veneer with stain and finish over top...probably not an issue

5. Heavy scaping pattern towards the end of a board (not an issue)..plus a small split in the veneer (possible issue)

6. Room photo = properly laid floor

7. Laid floor with shorts installed in the middle of the room: not ideal but *not an issue with the manufacturer (this is "installation error")

8. Plank edge missing veneer - probably an issue

9. Heavy saw chatter marks with a 'wood filler' used to fill the split in the veneer = no issue

10. Character grade plank with nots - no issue

11. 3" (or more) long split in the veneer - probably an issue

There you have it. Most of this can and will be chalked up to 'heavy scraped' character grade Maple. The homeowner is supposed to take the time to cull the planks that s/he thinks are undesirable. If you did NOT have the TIME to do it (as in the installers installed the floor the same day = absolutely wrong) then the INSTALLERS take on that job. And the Flooring company KNOWS IT!

What you need to understand now is the HEAVY SCRAPED character grade floor you asked for. By the looks of it, you chose a floor that doesn't suit you. That part is not up to the installer to deal with. They are to deal with the defective planks AND following the installation guide lines. The rest is upto the person who chose the floor.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your help. I have no issue with the how floor look with heavy scraped. Like I said my sister have same flooring she doesn’t have any of this problem like I do. Floor lay out bothers me because this small piece really catching my eyes when I walk. I told them I don‘t like it they said they didn’t have enough material and they have to do it this way !!! It’s hard to believe all 27 boxes came with perfect condition those splits are to me not normal. I understand floor have a heavy scraped. if that is the floor characters their website should of mentionin. They are saying split checks or other defects should be check before installation. They are mentioning various collors and knots is considered floor character and normal. I know the issue They didn’t have enough material and they just lay the floor with defective wood hopping that I won’t be noticing. My last question do you think this split woods will get worse or stay same ? I am really appreciated for your help. .

Original Author
    3 years ago

Original Author
    3 years ago

Original Author
    3 years ago

I received the floor same day they installed. I choose the floor seeing at my sister house. No one give me an option to check the wood before they install. I just saw the finished floor that’s all. I warned them several time and they told me they don’t have enough material. This is the one other wood plank they left behind and as you can see same split like I have on my floor. And that splits going all the way to back of the wood. That’s irritates me. Only 2 board left and Both has splits like this. I am so disappointed that’s all and sad. Not picky and knowing that real wood can have flaws or Character. I got that! but to me this is broken wood. Anyway I will Show them and see what they will suggest and I will call the company and ask them if split floor is acceptle for HEAVY SCRAPED ENGINEERED WOOD. Thanks for your help😊

Original Author
    3 years ago

Johnson Flooring, its ok if you don’t agree with people. Nothing wrong with that! That‘s is the reason for discussion so everyone can share their opinion. But why are you trying to be rude? I don’t understand your attitude. Not Necessary! Because I choose the heavy scraped wood everything shouldn’t be my fault right? This is glue down floor I am sure as a pro you already knew that! So I have no desire to deal with this in the future if those things will get worse. Thanks!

Original Author
    3 years ago

SJ McCharty I just wanted to say thank you for all your help. I called the Shaw flooring they go explain to me what is the acceptable finish and character for the floor I have. But she said split is not one of them. She wants me to file a claim. I appreciate your help. Have a great day !

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Johnson flooring was 'sighing' because he (and I) see this level of 'installer error' on a daily. Soooo many times the installers throw down a floor (without acclimation, without checking planks; without checking quantity) and run away when the money arrives.

As soon as a defective plank is installed, the manufacturer stops taking responsibility. The INSTALLERS are RESPONSIBLE for acclimation (they didn't do it = they have voided the warranty) and for quality control (cull the defective boards) which they didn't do (voided warranty).

It is ALSO up to the installer to CONTACT the homeowner as soon as they run into issues with 'too many defects'. The industry standard is 5% waste for defective planks. The splits in the wood being the defect. As SOON as this issue goes ABOVE 5%, the installer is supposed to STOP and CALL the homeowner AND the store that sold the product. The store is supposed to contact the manufacturer to start the claim process.

So what does that mean? It means the installers did NOT do their job. All of this will now rest on THEIR shoulders. In the flooring industry we have a saying; "A floor laid is a floor paid". Which means once the DEFECTIVE planks are installed, the manufacturer doesn't have to do ANYTHING. And everything will rest (including financial costs to remove/replace defective planks installed by the 'guy' who calls himself an installer) with the installer.

I know that's harsh, but that's why the INSTALLER is supposed to do ALL of the investigation/acclimation BEFORE they start laying the floor. Because as soon as it is LAID, the manufacturer is off the hook and the INSTALLER is ON the hook.

So....what I'm saying is this: the installer (is it the same company that sold you the floor?) is now fully responsible for the mess they have created.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. If the installer isn't going to stand by their mistakes and fix them then feel free to have the floor inspected by the manufacturer OR an NWFA Certified Inspector (www.nwfa.org).

Original Author
    3 years ago

I am sorry I might miss understood him. Just frustrated. Flooring company owner came by today and he said that’s normal. He said he will fix it with wood filler. I said I called the “Shaw flooring and they told me if the wood splitting probably was defective they shouldn’t have installed. Then he said I don’t know. He said he didn’t see anything like this before. He did not want to talk about improperly install floor. He said he never see split got worse probably will stay same. Then He called me and said Shaw will send an inspector. My house humidity level is 55 sometimes go up sometimes go down. Is It ok ? I am keeping the Ac 72 freezing🥶

Original Author
    3 years ago

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Wait? Does that monitor have a humidity range? One side says 'low' 53% and the other 'high' 77%. If this is the range the house is fluctuating between then your house isn't ready for hardwoods. Not that the engineered wood is "OK". The splits are an issue. Shaw has had issues with quality in the past. If you depend on their 'inspector' to help you, then you are probably going to be disappointed.

If you want an INDEPENDENT inspection you will have to pay for it: www.nwfa.org

If you want proof there has been installation error, you will need to hire your own inspector. The other thing you will have to pay for, eventually, is humidity CONTROL. The 53% reading is getting a bit too high but could be OK *IF you can maintain it for 25-80 years.

The 'high' range of 77% that your house has recorded is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too high. You will need to read the installation instructions to find out Shaw's optimal range for this product. If you aim for 45%-65% then you would be safe. I prefer to see it between 40%-55%. That's it.

And yes, humidity ranges like yours will void any warranty in the building industry.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Shaw said not their inspector. They will send an independent inspector. I did not know anything about humidity level. One company before said it won’t be issue this one didn’t even mentioned. If they don’t give me any explanation how I could possibly check that level. But I read splits it’s occur when is to dry. Like humidity level under 35 ? Is that correct?

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Splits may or may not happen, they are more prone to happen at low humidity levels. Those splits appear to be from the factory and as mentioned above could have been culled out and never installed had the proper extra flooring been on site.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Sigh...in all installation instructions throughout the building industry, the humidity requirements are clearly stated. I'm very sorry to say that it is the homeowner's responsibility to ensure their home has all the requirements to keep a floor (or cupboards, or drywall, etc) happy and healthy.

I know. You don't know what you don't know. I get that. A flooring company normally does not do the 'humidity consultation' with a customer. That is something that rarely happens. A SUPER HIGH END outfit (like the one's who would install wood flooring in multimillion dollar homes) would make enquiries...but the rest of the industry simply does the job and goes home. Not all...but most.

If every company said, "Hey! Homeowner! What type of humidity you got in there? Wow! 77% huh? Sorry. Nothing doing. You gotta' pay to upgrade that HVAC unit of yours before I put my wood in there." those companies wouldn't make it through their first winter.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. We are trying to get you to take action against the installers. The company that ordered the floor, delivered the floor and then installed the floor (without culling the defective product) is the one holding the one responsible for NOT ordering enough for your job. They are responsible for NOT acclimating your flooring. They are responsible for NOT culling the obvious split planks. They are responsible from the moment they ordered the wood to the moment they installed the defective planks.

The manufacturer, Shaw, is responsible for manufacturing defective planks. They WOULD HAVE dealt with that if the planks had been CULLED and SENT BACK. But instead the installers decided to plow ahead. The installers have taken on the manufacturer's responsibility.

You need to go after the company that ordered and installed the wood. It is up to THEM to go after Shaw for defective material.

Original Author
    3 years ago

When I bought it I didn’t re start it. I guess that was the issue showing very high. I bought it yesterday. I am

really appreciate all your help. Seems like they won‘t take any responsibility. He is trying to find a place to blame. I have no clue why he called the Shaw. I showed him defective plank they left behind and I told him because he didn’t order enough material. He should of say sorry and let’s change all defective planks. I am really trying to be nice. Like you install my floor all wrong. I paid the meterail cost but not the another half for labor.Not that I didn’t pay They didn’t ask me to pay for it yet. I will wait that “independent inspector “ to come first. He is not willing to do anything he just trying to find a reason to tell me not their fault. If that is the case what should I do? If both say no we are not responsible ?

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

You hire your own independent inspector (www.nwfa.org) and battle it out. S/he who WRITES the BEST report will probably win. And to be clear, the only person who has access (legally) to a report is the person who PAID for it....hint hint.

Original Author
    3 years ago

inspector call me today and ask me a lot of questio. He said he will try to come by today If he can’t he will set up next week. Flooring company called mw and leave me a voice message yesterda. She said we did your claim so how would you like to pay your rest of the balance. I am the one dealing all the problem instead ordering more meterail and saying sorry. Yes Sure we will fix it. They are calling Shaw ! I dont care about the money. But I don“t see any afford either.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

The flooring company can 'hold' the invoice until the installation has been completed to the owner's satisfaction AND to the quality of the Installation Instructions. Both situations have to be in place before the job is considered 'finished'.

Contractors (who include labour as part of their job pricing) get their final pay with the job is 'finished'. And right now the job is NOT finished.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello Again! Inspector was at my home yesterday. He looked everything. He checked the floor with the sticks( Thats my description ) He said they did good job with installation. He only found one spot with that stick. Then I showed him all the area I am concerned with. He was agree with me and he said he put everything to his report. I asked him what is the best way to fix it. He said he can’t tell them what to do or how to fix. Then I told him my floor only few weeks old I don’t want them to be repaired. I said I want them to be replaced. He said he is agree they should never used that planks and he Said I should definitely force them to replace those planks. He said make sure blue tape everything before they come.