SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beverett1

Dining Room Starting Over--Need table and Lighting Advice

Barbara
3 years ago

There has to be a way to arrange a small dining room for 6 people! My husband and I downsized to a retirement house that is new to us. We have made several changes, but our small dining room has us stumped. We normally eat on a peninsula in the kitchen looking out the dining room window, but we need some place for a total of 4-6 people to eat when we have guests. The dining room is approximately 12'X12'. There are two openings with no doors in the room--one from the foyer and one from the kitchen. While there is one wall with a 59" window, the final wall has no openings or windows. The room has a tray ceiling. The normal ceiling height around the perimeter is at 9'. Then the ceiling slants into the center and goes up another 16 inches. (See 2nd picture to better understand what I am trying to convey.)

I am shopping for a table, drapes, chandelier and rug. Unfortunately, I can't figure out the best sizes. What size and shape of dining room table is best so it doesn't impede the walkways from the foyer and kitchen to the dining room? Also, with the tray ceiling, I need to know the size of chandelier that best fits the space. The picture in the dining room stays. I'm trying to find another spot for the display case. I do have dining room chairs. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Floor Plan

Below is a picture of the window wall which shows the ceiling heights.

Below is the view to the kitchen which is opposite the window.

Next is a picture of the opening to the foyer.

Below is a picture of the wall opposite of the foyer wall.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus