SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Do I have this difference in bugs right?

3 years ago

I haven't had squash bug problems for a couple years. I haven't missed them! They are attacking my cucumbers for the first time ever. But in the process of figuring out what to do, I've learned (I think) that there are 2 different types of squash bugs: The squash bug (who eats the leaves and makes them turn brown and die), and Squash vine borers........who lay their eggs (?) into the lower stem of the plants, where they grow and eat and drink the life out of the entire length of that plant's vine.

Today I disposed of about 20 squash bugs. But.......is there any trick (without chemicals), dealing with the borer? Do you ever see them flying around? I don't believe I have. So they inject their eggs into the bottom of the stem, and their job is done? And that causes the entire vine to wilt and die.?

So here I am with a large number of my cucumber vines wilted and dying. I plant County Fair and I thought it was from cucumber beetles, but I was wrong. It didn't make sense because the County Fair variety is totally resistant to wilt from cuc beetles. I've only see 2-3 of them this entire summer. County Fair is totally resistant to getting bacterial wilt from those beetles.

I've covered the bottom stems of the presently, seemingly healthy cucumber vines with aluminum foil, which I read might help. But who knows. I've decided not to use diatomaceous earth, because it can kill good bugs.

So.......is my understanding of the 2 different squash bugs correct? I guess it's easier to deal with the bugs than the borers. Oh....I'm growing them up a trellis. I'm also watching my Waltham Butternut squash, but so far, so good (knock on wood). It is also on a trellis.

Is the grown squash borer busy doing this all summer? Does the larvae spend the summer/fall/winter in the stem and when it emerges it's a moth?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm just really bummed about all my dead cucumber plants, when they were just starting to produce. I will go out several times a day to catch the bugs, but I'm sort of at a loss with the borers. They're more of a challenge.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored