SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
houzz

POLL: Help select the new color for this front door!

Houzz
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

What Color Should This Front Door Be Painted? · More Info

Interior designer Jennifer Ott invites you to vote on a bold new color for the entrance to her San Francisco home. Click the photos to enlarge, then select which color you think she should pick. Ott will paint her front entry the color that has the most votes by August 1, 2020.

We'll share the results in a follow-up editorial story.

Comments (96)

• umouthingme
    2 years ago

I personally like the color it is...If it was me, I probably would just look for a slight variation of that color...I voted periwinkle but liked the leafy green too...Hot pink looks cool, but personally speaking I would get tired of it within a month...Good luck!

• Kim Cabler
    2 years ago

I sell Real Estate and my husband is a builder so I pick out colors all the time for our projects. I love your sense of adventure in your color choices. I chose the periwinkle because it always seems so warm and inviting in my mind, plus I thought it went well with your existing exterior choices. Good luck and if you decide it’s not a good choice it’s just paint and you can change it again.

• Related Discussions

Need Help selecting Front Door Color and Trim

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks for the responses.. The brick is a little bit of a challenge.. "salmon". The "sheraton beige" siding comes off looking a "pink" next to the brick. I am not sure how rust would work! If I had the budget I would restain the siding as well, but that is a project for another day!! I think a stronger khaki might look good.. Maybe I should pick a color for the door that would look good with my dream color for the siding!!
    ...See More

need to pick new front door and trim colors...Can someone help?

Q

Comments (1)
    this is the front sorry had hard time posting to request
    ...See More

New Black double front door - hardware color??? Help!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Go with brushed nickel. Your door is kind of like a statement piece while also providing you security(the latter being the most important of course). A lot of times, people think they have to match hardware inside and out; not the case. I agree with your hubby, ORB does not add significant contrast to the look of your door but hey, it is not like people can see it from the sidewalk or street. Just want you to realize your front door knobs don't have to match your interior ones if you don't want to. Don't feel like you have spend a few hundred changing all of your interior doorknobs to match your exterior one. :D
    ...See More

Please help me pick my new front door color

Q

Comments (7)
    I like the blue examples that @houssaon shared, but look at colors you love. Also consider if those 3 posts are necessary or not, or could they be reduced to one that is thicker? Could the lower half of the wall on the left be painted the color of your house trim to brighten up the entry area? And could those gutter spouts be repositioned better for both drainage and appearance? A fun project area and will be real nice when you're done.
    ...See More
  • mtcohen
    2 years ago

I change my door color every other year, the door is recessed so it needs something of interest. I voted for the Leafy Green which is what I have now. I’ve tried the pink and periwinkle (my favorite) but I felt bad when people would say to my husband “oh, you live in the house with the pink (or purple) door. I’ve tried the electric green also but it looked like a Victorian painted lady on a ranch house. Those corals and oranges are tricky. One morning I was determined to paint the door orange, started, and then changed it violet. The greens are safe and cheery.

• Susan Babcock
    2 years ago

I have a bright front door and surprisingly I get lots of positive comments on it as most of the neighborhood has subdued coloring of both house and door. Mine color is between the coral and hot pink called passion fruit. It always makes you smile when you see a bright colored door.

• karenvg1
    2 years ago

20 years ago, I would have picked the color that 'didn't look like the neighbors door' or what I thought would receive the most compliments/comments. Today, I say and do things that please me, not what my family, friends and certainly not what neighbors think. Pick the color that sings to YOUR heart and whichever color that is, choose it!

• K G
    2 years ago

Me .... I'd pick a colour that I love to wear and makes me feel good when I see it. I find, for myself, when I do this, I'm always happy with my decision.

• Linda
    2 years ago

The front door should be visible and attractive, but, personally, I don’t want a color that blinds guests to the entire setting and is the only thing remembered. And, I don‘t want a color that we will tire of quickly. I prefer choices reflect the family’s personality, respect the natural setting of the home, and coordinate with neighboring homes to create a cohesive neighborhood. I like to add pots and flowers or other accents, which are easily changed, to bring in colors from neighboring homes. After all, the neighbors may choose new colors as well. For me, the color that meets all of these criteria is the leafy green.

• Norma Briggs
    2 years ago

Leafy green. Inviting but deliberate. Colonial Williamsburg has a similar color in their selections. Inviting but deliberate to timeless style.

• stbernard
    2 years ago

The periwinkle is my 2nd choice. I ultimately love how the leafy green plays off the beautiful tree and draws you to the door. I think by using a color within that tree makes it a bolder change versus the other “bold” choices.

• Julie B
    2 years ago

Jennifer, would you be willing to share the paint colors you are using? I want to try a few of these on my front door. Love it whenever you contribute to Houzz!

• cbernhardt
    2 years ago

I picked the Hot Pink but in my view it tied with the Coral. I don’t like the idea of trying to blend with the tree colours because the 2 prominent trees are 2 different from each other & I think it will look like a bit of a miss. And, definitely add the pink or coral in flowers in a potted planter on the right side of the garage door, if it will fit, or the new colour in a new do-dad above the garage door—not too much—just one or the other to draw the eye across.

• smkintp
    2 years ago

You might also consider a blue that matches the sky blue color being reflected in the large front window. I think that reflection of blue sky is why the electric coral looks so good on the front door.

• gigigreek
    2 years ago

Coral because it compliments the colors in the surrounding trees and pulls the house and outdoors colors together to make it inviting.

• Mary Patchell
    2 years ago

I have had my front door periwinkle for many years. I love it. My color is a little deeper. It’s inviting to the visitor.

• Terrie B.
    2 years ago

Like the current color or periwinkle. I would remove the tree - too close to entrance.

• rebeccapierz
    2 years ago

I voted for green gold, very attractive. The coral is my second choice

• Sonja
    2 years ago

Love the leafy green!

• cherryrain
    2 years ago

Periwinkle looks good with your shade and the sky.

• Donalda Day
    2 years ago

Why Hot Pink? Because pink is the best color in the world. And, for miles around, yours will be the only house with a hot pink entry. Go for it!

• PRO
    Seneker-Frisch Interior Design
    2 years ago

As a designer myself, I would do the periwinkle, and use pots of hot pink flowers as an accent color. Over time, different, maybe seasonal, colors could replace the pink....or perhaps a profusion of different, but interesting, color combinations. All would stand out and make a statement accent in combination with the beautiful blue.

• rachann61
    2 years ago

Thanks to Houzz and the homeowner/designer for letting us do this.
    There is a principle of real estate: Location, location, location! This house is in San Francisco. The city of vibrant color and a funky vibe. After all the Golden Gate Bridge is bright red orange. All the options are a good array. And I also think some bright pots of flowers and/ or a hot pink bougainvillea vine would be charming.

• Joe Petraglia
    2 years ago

You may want to consider yellow. That’s the reason I voted for Green Gold. It was the closest to yellow.

• cynthiamariemenzies
    2 years ago

I love the pop of color in #1, and 4. I picked 4 which is in the minority. The other colors disappear...

• bouncy5
    2 years ago

I picked leafy green but I think I actually like the current color best.

• Caamille Clemens
    2 years ago

I like the periwinkle best. It’s crisp but not in your face my own double front doors and back doors are deep rich turquoise. My second choice would be Green gold or leafy gold, they complement the pine tree 🌲. I like the painted steps also it lends the color thing down to the street.

• Thelma Higgins
    2 years ago

I love the coral with the grey background.

• Linda Miller
    2 years ago

What date will you make your decision on the color of your front door?

• bashfuldoc
    2 years ago

Periwinkle! A pop of surprise each time you come home!

• roserose658
    2 years ago

Keep the same color!

• PRO
    Sage Lane Realty
    2 years ago

I voted for leafy green because Jennifer said it's always been one of her favorites. Also, it seems like a fresh, optimistic color to offer the neighbors during these weird pandemic times. My second choice was hot pink because Jennifer said she's been drawn to hot pink lately. I'm thinking go with the bolder, more surprising pop next time around if she still likes hot pink then.

• Kelly Vinson
    2 years ago

I would have gone with a chromium version of yellow. It is great against the grey, different enough from the orange, but still welcoming and happy. I voted for the non yellow green, as it lends itself toward the natural color schemes that seem to be trending. Not a fan of the hot pink for the front of your house, but would LOVE to see that reflected in the flowers..maybe a railing flower box with hot pink geraniums?

• shop till U drop
    2 years ago

I love how the periwinkle is almost the same color as the sky in your picture. It's a happy color that compliments your siding and the gray surround makes it pop without being overwhelming.

• Guyneth Dunville
    2 years ago

Periwinkle is my 2nd choice but I have found that the blue shades fade to gray as they weather. I chose leafy green because it complements every other color in the surrounding area.

• Gloria Harris_Anderson
    2 years ago

I chose Pretty Periwinkle to make it stand out more. The other greens just make it blah with the nearby trees, in MY humble opinion. The Hot Pink would be my second choice.

Great design on this one, saved the original article!!

• MaryAnn Snow
    2 years ago

My first choice, the periwinkle. But the leafy green is also very pretty.

• dxcshelby42
    2 years ago

Debbie Shelby
    Leafy Green invites your guest into a home of peace, calm, and rest...serenity.

• Nicole Leontsinis
    2 years ago

Hot pink is beautiful and unique! The other colors are pretty but predictable and safe! 😁

• wellshamilton
    2 years ago

Wish there was a “keep it the same” option, but picked the periwinkle from the choices given. Agree with others, flower pots for more color!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 years ago

Looking at the photo, I'm not seeing a lot of room for flower pots. The stoop is small and the steps are not wide and there's no landing at the foot of the stairs either. You might get one pot near the front door or a hanging basket, or a lot of small pots down the side of the steps, which I never like. Maybe one tall narrow pot on the landing at the top of the stairs. Not really the type of house for a window box either.

• Lars
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The existing color is the best. Don't change it. I did not vote for any of "new" options.

• Charming
    2 years ago

Go for red! It’ll be striking!

• beverlybossio
    2 years ago

I choose the Leafy Green because I feel the siding looks clean and fresh. But, my second choice would be the Coral, which ties in with the leaves of the orange tree.

• decodivafl
    2 years ago

First of all the lower limbs of the trees need to be trimmed so you can see the entire door to get the full impact of the new color. I picked Hot Pink because I think that color has the most WOW factor. My 2nd choice is the Pretty Periwinkle.

• Sheila Schneider
    2 years ago

Though I picked the Leafy Green... Personally, I would mimic a color from the interior, bringing the outside in and vice versa.

• Curlytop
    2 years ago

Oh, hot pink by far! Go for it.

• Kimberly Mulvaney
    2 years ago

Periwinkle ❤️❤️❤️

• Mitchell Parker
    2 years ago

The results are in. Leafy Green is the winner! Thanks to everyone for voting! We'll show Jen's painted stairs and entryway soon. :-)

• Norma Briggs
    2 years ago

Yippee I love winning a game 👏

• Linda Miller
    2 years ago

Beautiful Door!! And color was my vote choice. Jennifer, we both won! Congratulations to all other winners.

• maggierateye
    last year

I wish a citrusy tangerine was a choice. The cool blues and leafy greens just disappear into the foliage. Not crazy about the coral, but it looks more scarlett in the photo. Still on the cool pink side, which to me does not work.