SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

Roots or STEM Size

a1an
3 years ago

Did not buy 4 inch pot annuals this year. Between CV19 and all, I was not in a mood to go venturing outside to the nurseries. So here I was, early march with a few 18 cell plant trays. These were fairly well rooted cuttings I suppose, each tray lush with leaves if not a bloom, and plenty of roots. The (STEM) was however 1/6 as thick if less that what would have been the the #4 sized plant.

Riddle me this. For annuals and establishment (where they really start to go bloom crazy and round), is it more about roots and the size of the stem. Roots helps it in the hot days and the thickness of the stem/stoutness helps it draw water ?

Asking as I'm just thinking about establishment, and not sure if the thicker stem - more costlier 4" pots is similar in ROI to the 18 cell trays. 18 cell trays were cheaper per plant by far, and sofar, they have not filled the bed as dense as I would prefer but are getting there. I did space them a smidge closer than normal, thinking it would not be establish for the season as much as a 4" pot.

Comments (5)