SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbeary

What will grow in dense shade?

cbeary
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We built this house 24 years ago and, since then, the front landscape is in a continuous state of repair/replacement. The area in front of the house is densely shaded by the northern exposure and high roof line. The side to the right of the porch seems to be holding up but even those are not the original plantings. The side to the left of the porch is bare except for a sad row of peeking cotoneaster, some fake flowers in window boxes, and weeds. I began years ago by planting yews across the entire front (15 in all), of which one is still thriving (to the right of the porch). I've put in azaela, rhododendron, hydrangea, and pyracantha over the years. The shrubs barely thrive (The pyracantha did ok but the thorns made it difficult to trim all the dead wood) We get hiigh winds and cold winter temps (zone 5).

Where the ladders lay used to be a poured cement walkway. I finally convinced hubby to tear it out and put in a new one further out from the house so I could plant further out where there is at least a few hours of sunlight. The walkway will be installed this fall.

ANY suggestions on what to plant to the left of my porch? I'm even willing to try yews again thinking they may have originally been planted too close to the foundation of the house . Thanks for taking the time to read my saga.

Comments (3)