And 2020 continues!

mrskjun(9)

"MORRISON, Colo. (KDVR) – Health officials in one Colorado county are warning residents after a squirrel tested positive for bubonic plague."

What's next, the zombie apocalypse?

https://www.cbs42.com/news/squirrel-tests-positive-for-bubonic-plague-in-colorado/

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Save    
lurker111

We already had a thread on this topic. I had to explain to the left that the bubonic plague was still in America.

3 Likes Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

Bubonic plague breaks out regularly among ground squirrel populations in the valley where my city is. One year I was doing a plant survey on a local 2000-acre Army Reserves training area and the squirrels were so abundant you couldn't walk or drive a dozen feet without one running in front of you. The next year, massive die-off due to plague and hardly a squirrel to be seen.

1 Like Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Lurker, no you didn't have to just "explain" it to the left, I'm sure you explained it to everyone. Since you do have knowledge and know everything about everything we always welcome your bottomless well of information.

FYI, armadillos are also known carriers....oops it's leprosy they carry.

9 Likes Save    
lurker111

I sure do wish I knew everything. I only know a lot about a lot of things. Learning all the time. :^)

3 Likes Save    
elvis

Yep, it's still around. Good to know, for those of you who think it's charming to hand-feed squirrels.

Be careful, Hay.

Save    
deegw

lol, I just ate an outside patio social distance lunch there yesterday. It's also home of the iconic concert venue, Red Rocks.

1 Like Save    
steve2416

I'm glad my property is mostly populated by feral cats, opossums and raccoons which I feed (the opossums and raccoons love my gardening efforts). I know the cats and raccoons are subject to rabies and other baddies but the opossums are safer than humans - AFAIK.

1 Like Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

Well, the possums are a pretty flea-ridden lot, steve, but otherwise only annoying. They do steal figs, which really puts them on my bad side.

Save    
mudhouse

Opossums have creepy faces, though. Let's be honest. ;-)

I think about half the US cases of plague show up in my state. I'm not sure why we're so good at that. We don't include it on our tourism brochures.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Cats are particularly susceptible to plague probably because they are more successful in catching squirrels than say dogs. treatment is antibiotics.

We can successfully treat Bubonic plague these days especially if caught reasonably early.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Yes, thank goodness for antibiotics!

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

We already had a thread on this topic.

Actually that topic was one human case somewhere in Asia as I recall.

I had to explain to the left that the bubonic plague was still in America.

And now you had to re-explain it to the right. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like Save    
eageree

deegw - and we drove through there yesterday afternoon - maybe I could have waved at you on the patio !

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

I don't hand feed but this year a baby hung around and needed a bit of help.

He comes near my windows and doors now and looks for me, will eat nuts from about 2 feet from my feet, but I would never touch him. Fox squirrel.

Cat squirrels make me nervous, too jumpy.

Life is fraught with danger! Makes it worth living.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Actually that topic was one human case somewhere in Asia as I recall.

You are correct, it was in Mongolia. :^) July 6th.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5950793/maybe-it-is-the-apocalypse#n=27

Save    
studio10001

There is also an outbreak of bunny ebola, lung parasites killing off snakes and the lovely murder hornets visiting this year.

Save    
terezosa / terriks

10 Likes Save    
maifleur03

But for the first time for years I heard spring peepers earlier this year. It was such a wonderful sound. Then all the crap started.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Events The Latest Looks for Cabinets at IBS and KBIS 2020
White and wood finishes dominated at the trade show, but companies also displayed black, blue, green, gray and more
Full Story
Tile 3 Top Tile Trends for 2020
See the latest colors, shapes and patterns in tiles being introduced this year
Full Story
Inside Houzz Key Takeaways From the 2020 U.S. Houzz & Home Study
The median spend on remodels declined modestly in 2019. Baby boomer and Gen X homeowners drove most of the activity
Full Story