Woman Rescues Drowning Toddler

elvis

Was she a hero, or just doing right thing because she was in the right place at the right time?

REDMOND, Ore. (KTVZ/CNN) - A woman who rescued a 2-year-old boy after she saw him run across an Oregon highway and fall into a canal says a higher power put her in the right place at the right time.

Bailey Vardanega was driving Tuesday evening along Highway 97 in Redmond, Oregon, when she saw the father of a 2-year-old boy flagging down drivers. She then saw the toddler run across the highway and fall into an irrigation canal. “I’m grateful that I reacted,” Vardanega said. “I’m grateful I got to listen to God and have him tell me what to do and have the opportunity to save someone.”

Vardanega left her car and crossed four lanes of traffic to follow after the boy. She ended up diving into the canal herself to rescue him. “My legs were faster than I’ve ever run, and I swam more aggressive than I ever swam,” Vardanega said. “God’s in control. He had me in the right place at the right time, and I allowed him to use my body as he needed.” She brought the 2-year-old to shore. He coughed up some water but was breathing.

“You don’t think twice on those things. It’s not what we’re supposed to do. We’re supposed to help one another, especially the innocent that don’t know. That’s what we’re supposed to do,” she said.

Police thanked Vardanega and hailed her as a hero. They say the toddler was being babysat at a nearby home by his grandmother, 51-year-old Jodie Ewing, who didn’t realize he had gone missing.

The boy’s father spotted him running across the highway, as he was walking home from the grocery store. Ewing was cited for second-degree child neglect.

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2020/07/13/woman-runs-across-4-lanes-of-traffic-jumps-in-canal-to-rescue-drowning-ore-toddler/

SaveComment24Like
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)(Frog Rock, Australia 9b)

She's no hero. Obviously her "god" pushed her in the right direction against and despite her better instincts.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
olychick

I would consider her a hero...she saved that child's life and possibly put her own in danger to do it.

Aren't heroes always the ones doing the right thing when they are at the right place at the right time? I don't think all actions like this are heroic, but putting yourself in danger qualifies in my book.

It's a weird story...why was the father flagging down cars instead of going after the child? Maybe he was too far away?

jmm1837

She did her bit and has earned the title. Good for her.

1 Like Save     Thanked by elvis
heri_cles

When you are in a hole stop digging.

4 Likes Save    
Iris GW

I saw this in some liberal rag ... good news.

Save     Thanked by elvis
Marigold

Maybe she was both. It sounds like it could have turned out differently had she not intervened. Wonderful that she did.

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Many proclaimed "heroes" state that they don't feel heroic--and add that they were just there at the right place and time. But that doesn't detract from our viewpoint of their heroic actions.

As for the woman feeling God's power in her legs as she was running and swimming so fast--can someone explain to her what "adrenaline" is?

But I'm glad she saved the child.

Kate

4 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
queenmargo

Why do some people become so agitated when someone credits GOD?

5 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
blfenton

I happen to think God was the hero - after all, he put her in that spot at that time and then listened to God who told her what to do. /s

If she wants to believe that then have at it. I happen to think she put her life at risk to save a little boy and what a lucky little guy.

mudhouse

It's a weird story...why was the father flagging down cars instead of going after the child? Maybe he was too far away?

I wondered about that too. My guess would be, he couldn't swim (some people never learn how.) Maybe he knew his only hope was to find someone who could...?

At any rate, it's great we can argue about what gave the woman the strength to rescue the child, instead of reading about another tragedy right now.

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Maybe he wasn’t flagging down cars to obtain help, but to stop traffic because his toddler was running on the highway. He needs to stop the traffic to get to his child, and stopping traffic lessens the risk to the kid.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
queenmargo

If she wants to believe that then have at it. I happen to think she put her life at risk to save a little boy and what a lucky little guy.

Yes, she has a right to her beliefs as much as you do.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
lurker111

I've been on both ends of this argument. I have been saved from drowning and have saved someone from drowning. 2 times. I jumped into the rapids on the Guadalupe and saved an overweight kid from drowning, just after he broke a leg on the rocks. I was pulled from an undercurrent in our local river. A 5 year old girl saved me from drowning when I was learning how to swim. I was probably around 8. I saved a 13 year old girl who got a finger stuck in a pool drain. I guess we're all hero's.

mudhouse

I guess we're all hero's.

I think hero stories cheer me up because they confirm what I believe...that many people have an inherent goodness inside that would show up when needed. Most people don't know what they're capable of until they're in that situation (a possible exception being first responders, rescue organizations, firefighters, military, and law enforcement who are often trained to run towards the danger.)

Most heroes don't know they're going to be a hero when they wake up that day. That's a nice thing to think about.

Sometimes I think people who just get up every day and live stable and productive lives are heroes, too...not to take away from the amazing accomplishments of people like the woman in the OP.

terezosa / terriks

She's a hero to that little boy's family.

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

"hero" can mean someone who is looked up to or admired/emulated. That's probably the sense in which the high school was using it.

olychick

Too bad whoever put up that sign at a SCHOOL didn't know how to spell heroes and misused the apostrophe. Hope the graduates had a better education.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
HamiltonGardener

I think when you use the term “hero” to describe high school graduates, you downgrade the concept.

Time to find a better word for someone who runs into a burning building to find a missing toddler.

Rory (Zone 6)(6)

My late father worked for the Carnegie Hero Fund. This is the definition they use for a Hero:

"The Commission’s working definition of a hero as well as its requirements for awarding remain largely those that were approved by the founder. The candidate for an award must be a civilian who voluntarily risks his or her life to an extraordinary degree while saving or attempting to save the life of another person. The rescuer must have no full measure of responsibility for the safety of the victim. There must be conclusive evidence to support the act’s occurrence, and the act must be called to the attention of the Commission within two years."

I think this woman is a hero. I don't think the graduating class of 2020 are heroes.

She should be nominated.

elvis

Rory, that's my definition, too.

A father who jumps the fence to save his own child from the menacing gorilla is no hero. In fact, he should be charged with neglect or some such charge. But that's another story.

Save    
cattyles

Are we finally out of stuff to argue about or did I miss something?

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

We never run out of stuff to argue about.

Save    
lurker111

I misspelled it, too. I could correct it now if wanted to. I originally spelled it without the apostrophe and used the first thing I saw on spell check. I knew something didn't look right. I'm so sorry. :^)

elvis

Never rely on spell check. It's good for clues, sometimes.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Healthy Home These Steps Will Help Keep Kids Safe Around Pools and Spas
Implement several layers of security to prevent life-threatening accidents in and around the pool
Full Story
Pets So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Books Can Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story