SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_643029258

Shaw SPC flooring texture causing foot abrasions

HU-643029258
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We moved in to a new build home 3 months ago that was advertised to have LVP flooring. We have since learned that it is SPC flooring laid on an OSB subfloor that wasn't leveled properly before the flooring install.

Our floor has texture, and the ridges are causing the equivalent of a sandpapering effect on the contact surfaces of my feet. I had the abrasions checked by my physician to ensure this wasn't an allergic reaction or other issue (as suggested by our flooring installation company) and it was confirmed that I have trauma abrasions. According to our installer, they have never heard of this happening. According to my research, SPC is known for being harder underfoot, but I cannot find any specific articles or relayed experiences of this happening to someone else.

Our floor has a 6mm wear layer and a total 3.4mm thickness, it is installed as a floating floor. There are some areas where we step down and you can see and hear the floor smack down on the subfloor, there are some areas where we can see that screws were not relocated/removed/hammered down around vent registers so they cause the floor to arch up over 1/4", and we know we have peaks and valleys within the floor. (It is installed all throughout our rambler style home.)

Aside from our obvious install issues, has anyone experienced trauma to their feet from the texture of their SPC floor? Aside from covering it up with rugs and runners, is there any way to decrease this issue?

Comments (14)