Can SOMEONE explain this to me?

roxanna7

What is the rationale for the White House's muzzling of Dr. Fauchi? It's not as if the WH has any real, effective or thoughtful national policy concerning COVID-19. Why/HOW does the WH have the ability to decide what Fauci says with relation to his expertise?? Why is Fauci forbidden to speak directly to the media and the American people about his information?

Let the man speak. We need him.

SaveComment66Like6
Comments (66)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmm1837

Free Fauci!

6 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
roxanna7

Amen, jmm!!

3 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Team Trump -- do these people ever learn?

Ignoring the coronavirus briefings in December 2019/January 2020 came back to bite them on their collective butt, and now they want to do another pass and ignore the warnings of Dr. Fauci.

Stable geniuses they ain't!

5 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
jmm1837

The White House has always approached this as a political rather than a public health issue. They cannot have Dr. Fauci talking about the medical issues because it would reveal the risks they have taken, and continue to take, with American lives, and ultimately, with the American economy.

15 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
bfox254

There is no plan to contain this outbreak. The White House continues to ignore, hopes it will go away, and expects us to just get used to it. This is a national tragedy with no end in sight. Dr. Fauci will no longer cover for Trump so he's been sidelined.

I'm wondering how long Pence, as the head of the "task force" continues this farce. He is complicit. How many more have to die before this supposedly religious man starts speaking the truth?

14 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
Joaniepoanie

Out of sight, out of mind.

1 Like Save     Thanked by roxanna7
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Out of sight, out of mind.

I figure that's why there are still so many going around without masks and so on - they haven't yet had anybody near to them struck down. As for Trump he's a glorified used car salesman that thinks the White House is his corporate headquarters. So of course anybody not behind the latest sales goals is shut out or canned. Besides as a malignant narcissist he is always deliberately and habitually fomenting discord around himself anyway.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

There was a poll showing that 67% trusted Fauci and only 26% trusted Trump. So now Trump is trying to get back at Fauci.

11 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
foodonastump

Just read that the White House is working on a list of all the times Fauci was wrong.

Save     Thanked by roxanna7
roxanna7

But WHY is Dr. Fauci NOT ALLOWED to speak directly, as an expert. Is this "legal"? I am thinking of freedom of speech, I guess, in this instance. He certainly has the credentials...

Maybe he ought to resign from the "task force", or whatever the h*ll it is. Could he not then speak and inform the public??? How can he be muzzled in this fashion, side-lining him as the WH has done.

It is just SO WRONG. And so dangerous.

(foas, IMHO it isn't that Fauci has been wrong at any particular time, but that there were -- and are -- so many unknowns about the virus that even his information changed as time went on...)

5 Likes Save    
foodonastump

What’s he really helped with? I know I’ll think of something the second I hit “submit” but we know he’s lied to us, we have other organizations giving us a snapshot of what’s going on without the “don’t make Trump mad” filter, so I’m just wondering if we need him.

Save    
mr1010

Trump and his thugs are doing to Faucci what they've done to many others who don't play their way.

when you disagree and don't make an effort to puff up the head clown, they'll take you down somehow.

Poor Dr. Faucci, what a way to end his career or to even be connected to the mess

and then be muzzled.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
Kathy

Putinesque.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
HU-274840647

Who are you doubting the need for Fauci or Trump?

2 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
bfox254

We need people willing to tell the truth as ugly as that truth might be. To continue whitewashing the pandemic is bordering on criminal at this point.

People trust Dr. Fauci because he has shown no ulterior motive. He's not trying to get elected for anything, he doesn't seem to be deliberately undermining Trump for political purposes and he didn't ask to be put in the spotlight. His allegiance is to science, not politicians. He's a medical expert trying to do his job to the best of his ability. That's all we can ask. It must be terribly frustrating for him to witness the carnage and know that we could have and should have done much better.

14 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
foodonastump

Who are you doubting the need for Fauci or Trump?

Well I know we don’t need one, I’m questioning the other

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

roxanna the government can muzzle anyone that they want to under "national security". In Fauci's case it is more likely that Fauci to even be on the team had to make a decision to sign a nondisclosure agreement or not. It would take a very brave person to actually speak out against what our government is doing about the virus and protection for the citizens. Not only could he be ruined financially enough whispers true or not could ruin Fauci both in the medical and his social communities.

The most important things that anyone can do right now other than take precautions which even I am not certain that they will be in the long run and are only a feel good things is to vote Trump out and really hope that he does leave.

terezosa / terriks

I'm wondering how long Pence, as the head of the "task force" continues this farce.

As long has his "father" wants him to.

As far as finding Fauci's mistakes - anyone who understands science knows that recommendations change as new data comes in. Trump's strategy should play well with Fox News viewers.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
Joaniepoanie

Fauci is a government employee and, as such, Trump could fire him. I think he’s hanging in there for the good of the country, biting his tongue so as not to give trump a reason to get rid of him. It will be interesting to see if he speaks out when Trump loses.

Izzy Mn(4)

Fauci is walking a fine line of not outright saying trump is lying to you. Well not such a fine line. He is hanging in there so I got to give him some credit. Trump is afraid to fire him. The people around him probably have to talk him out of firing Fauci every day, or at least on the days we do hear from Fauci.

shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)(Frog Rock, Australia 9b)

This is representative of the way Trump runs all his own businesses. And why he's a failure and multiple bankrupt. He's always been "my way or the highway", and fails to recognise his own inadequacies.

A smart and successful CEO (and POTUS!) would surround himself with the best experts in every area, let them set plans, communicate with other experts and submit proposals to the boss to be discussed, dissected and acted upon. That is leadership and good management. Trump possesses neither of these attributes, and the people of the USA are the ones who must suffer.

19 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
bfox254

If Trump fired Dr. Fauci it would be game over...and he knows it

seagrass_gw

"If Trump fired Dr. Fauci it would be game over... and he knows it"

Nothing would keep him from speaking louder and more frankly, as far as I'm concerned.

Ziemia(6a)

Fauci has been saying.for many days that we are in a very bad place wrt Covid-19. Some governors are listening. Many Americans are listening.

Some of us are pushing state and city governments to pay closer attention. Some of us in the ne are traveling NOW around the ne as we worry it will get bad again as the universities open.

And, we pay very close attention to the stats - local and national.

jmm1837

Now if only the President would listen...

Nana H

What a hell of a mess. People arguing about stupid stuff . Bottom line is NOBODY in the US is taking a leadership role. NOBODY.

How far you have fallen in the last three plus years is astounding. What a cluster "thing".

This is going to be very bad and it is absolutely because of the lack of national leadership. My worry is the last two weeks are some of the best weeks you will have in the next few months.

15 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
blfenton

This is a thought that I saw on another forum and I noted it on another thread but perhaps it is pertinent here as well. The thought was that so many, including trump and who-knows-who else in the government are climate deniers and they don't believe the science or scientists. It isn't a giant leap to then doubt or disbelieve the science and scientists when it comes to covid 19 and trump is making darn sure that that message is being delivered. And the science deniers are lapping it up.

cattyles

What has Fauci lied about, FOAS?

I think he’s been completely honest. When the evidence changes or new facts come out, he updates. That’s not lying. That’s being honest about a situation that scientists are learning more about every day.

He could stubbornly stay entrenched in initial talking points no matter where the facts lead. I’d rather he tell us the truth even if it means changing a statement. I’m sure he knew he’d be subjecting himself to this kind of criticism.

It’s a shame that someone that dedicated his entire career to public health is being treated with such pettiness.

13 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
foodonastump

He lied about masks early on. He can try to justify why, but it was an intentional lie, with motive.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Dr. Fauci had good reason to try and protect the healthcare workers.

Lose those workers, and caring for the Covid victims becomes even worse.

cattyles

I disagree that he lied. Had the initial beliefs about droplet size and nonaerosol characteristics been true, physical distancing would have been enough with masks needed only for closer contact.

Marigold

There are some things in Fauci's career that I am not all that impressed with, his response to the AIDS crisis being one of them, but I think in this situation he has done an wonderful job of walking the tightrope. He has been in an almost impossible position for months, and has handled it admirably.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Would holding such a grudge against Dr. Fauci be like cutting off your nose to spite your face?

cattyles

And each time Fauci talked about masks, he commented on the shortage for healthcare workers that had no choice but to care for COVID patients, in close contact. Everyone that could stay home was supposed to be at home.

Dr. Fauci is one of our best. But he’s old and we’re doing nothing to encourage anyone to enter the field.

When I was a student nurse, I had a patient that needed 100mg of a med. The pharmacy had sent 50 mg tablets. I administered one to the patient. I quickly realized my mistake and went to give the patient the other tablet. I explained what happened, took responsibility and apologized. I told her I would be writing an incident report and she would be able to add her comments.

She refused the med, banned me from her room and asked for her doctor and the hospital administrator. She talked about the “stupid student nurse” that “tried to kill” her to everyone that entered her room.

I’m not downplaying that horrible, irreversible errors happen in healthcare. My patient had every right to be angry and critical. But healthcare workers are people that can make mistakes.

shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)(Frog Rock, Australia 9b)

Stan Areted

Rewrite history all you want, folks, this is what Dr. Anthony Fauci said:

Back then, Fauci told “60 Minutes” that face masks might make people “feel a little bit better,” but they simply don’t protect people and, instead, bring “unintended consequences.”

• “When it comes to preventing coronavirus, public health officials have been clear: Healthy people do not need to wear a face mask to protect themselves from COVID-19,” CBS News reported March 8. citing Fauci.

“There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask when you’re in the middle of an outbreak,” Fauci said. “Wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And often, there are unintended consequences; people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.” CBS News

THESE are Dr. Fauci's words.

We believed him.

IT would have been no problem for him to tell us what he now says, wear your homemade masks and leave the N 95s to the medical workers.

He did not say that at all.

READ WHAT HE SAID.

He lied, and he wasn't lying to "protect" anyone.

He lied, or he was dead wrong.

Take your pick.

And people wonder why the government can't be trusted.

1 Like Save    
Marigold

Stan, as he knew better, he passed that information on as well. Pres Trump said soon there would be no cases, yet somehow you forgive him for that.
Dr Fauci is now cautioning people about this rampant infection, while Pres Trump is still minimizing it. They are 2 imperfect men, but of the two, I would trust Dr Fauci

Kathy

Minimization is used by the administration to dodge the hard work of a feasible plan to fight this virus going forward. They prefer to ignore the seriousness of Covid-19 and failed from the start. Then they wasted the shutdown time instead of preparing US to move forward safely and here we are. We are not prepared with PPE, a staged reopening plan and a school resumption that is safe. Testing is lagging and in many cases almost impossible to obtain in a timely fashion. We are not set up for contact tracing. This administration is totally inept to lead this country for a crisis.

foodonastump

I hold no grudge, I’m simply pointing out that he made a statement based on motivations other than truth. It’s irrelevant to my point, to debate whether it was justified.

jmm1837

FOAS- whether Fauci lied or not isn't really the issue. The issue is whether he should be silenced by the White House, and what their motivation is. Trump says Fauci has made mistakes, and he probably has at the medical level, because this is a novel disease and mistakes are inevitably. But,mistakes or not, he still has a far better understanding of the virus than Trump will ever have, and he has certainly been more honest than the White House about it. The US is in dire straits and it needs to hear from experts and not just from politicians desperate for re-election.

By all means, make your own assessment of what Fauci might say, but surely Americans have the right to hear his opinions. After all, you're paying his salary to provide that advice.

foodonastump

Ok I’m changing my outlook a bit. When I asked six hours ago “What’s he really helped with?“ I was thinking more along the lines of what have we specifically learned from him. I’m not thinking of anything offhand. But now I’m thinking that his value is in being a government insider, validating external opinions we’re hearing. And as such we should use his statements as basis to hold our government accountable for an appropriate response. And I suspect that’s exactly why he’s being silenced.

13 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
jmm1837

FOAS - yep. The Australian Chief Medical Officer received a lot of kudos for his role during the pandemic (he's since stepped down, or perhaps it's up, to another role in government) . I think he saw his job as explaining the scientific consensus to the government, and ensuring that the PM, Cabinet and the Premiers were getting the best expertise the country could provide. Things like the need for social distancing, lockdowns, resources for testing and contact tracing, closing borders, finding supplies of PPE, closing down elective surgery to keep beds available, etc. He seems to have been pretty effective at getting a government not noted for its trust in science to listen and to act. He turned out to be pretty good at explaining it all to us as well, but his main role was getting the reality across to the people making the decisions. I think Dr. Fauci's role should have been similar, but he had to deal with a White House much less inclined to listen. He probably gave them the same sort of advice Prof. Murphy gave ours, but their response was much more politicized.

mr1010

OK peeps, see this for what it is:

Trump is deflecting his problem onto Faucci.

Trump never accepts responsibility for anything, even a botched pandemic.

This is simply a political maneuver to squirm out of shame and blame.

Faucci is today's scapegoat.

Tomorrow, it'll be Birx or whoever is convenient.

A dirty maneuver to deflect, that's all.

10 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
lurker111

Everything we've heard from the scientific community has been wrong. In fact, they've done complete 180's. This includes telling us that we don't need masks and we should give all that we have to the local doctors. They don't know what they're saying.

Save    

Fact check about what Fauci said about wearing masks and when he said it:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/05/outdated-fauci-video-on-face-masks-shared-out-of-context/

chisue

I've never settled in my own mind whether it is better to try to fix something from 'the inside', or whether you only lend credence to the wrong you're trying to remedy.

With Trump, though, I think it's not only futile to try to be 'the good insider' (because he doesn't listen), but by standing anywhere near him, you appear to endorse his agenda. In this case...run away, run away, lest you be contaminated.

Nana H

mr, agree that is exactly what he is doing, deflect and blame with some vindictiveness thrown in.

I heard that Trump was being encouraged by his inner circle to discredit
Fauci because he wasn't being supportive and positive towards Trump.
Of course, that's all Trump understands .... how loyal everyone is to him. Screw the millions impacted by this disease!

I think the horse is out of the barn on this one. It's way too late for him to start showing any leadership. Besides which I don't think he could even if he wanted to, you can't use a skill you don't have.

With any kind of luck, this will bring him down ...but what a high price to pay.

lurker111

Trump acted faster than anyone and did everything in his power to stop it. The crats tried to block everything he did. The virus was almost gone in Texas before the rioting protests. The left looks pretty stupid for trying to blame Trump for their actions.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

I also dispute that Fauci lied about masks. At that time, I checked various sources vis a vis wearing masks - and basically all the US based ones said there was little evidence of it being effective as a general prophylactic. Some made mention of it having been used in China during their SARS contagion with little mention of that effectiveness.

Part of the finding of little effectiveness (as a general preventive) was that other measures were of greater protection - keeping one's distance and hand washing. And carefree mask handling (being unaware of needed precautions) seemed to be beyond Americans.

***Some were concerned that if masks were recommended then we in the NE would decide we didn't have to self-isolate.

mr1010

Nana, what will it take for reporters and media to see this and report it and discount Trump and WH black smear on Faucci? It seems so obvious to me, surely the media sees it too, no?

I keep watching for DeSantis to pull same ploy except he has hogged most of the media attention himself in his carefully controlled PCs.

HU-274840647

When asked who they trusted on COVID-19 information, Trump or Fauci, 67% said Fauci and far less said Trump, more or less sealing Fauci’s fate.

All those mini rallies disguised as information briefings Trump trotted Fauci out like an organ grinders monkey but took no notice of what he said.

vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

At least Fauci didn't say the virus would magically disappear by (last) April, or now saying that it's under control with little embers to be put out. trump is running on a healthcare policy of wishful thinking...IOW, not thinking.

Annie Deighnaugh

The explanation for muzzling Fauci and the whole CDC is a simple one.

They will tell the truth...that the nation is in big trouble, this virus is running rampant across most states, hospitals are being overrun, resources are scarce and people are unnecessarily dying as a result.

But this does *not* fit the trump desired narrative that everything is just fine, no problem with the virus...it has magically disappeared ... esp if we don't test for it...and that we can reopen the economy everywhere, send kids back to school and so on...so trump can be a hero, get high approval ratings and win the election.

So if it disagrees with what trump wants, out you go.

The White House has sent reporters at several mainstream media organizations a lengthy list of comments Dr. Anthony Fauci made early on in the COVID-19 pandemic, in an apparent push to undermine the nation's top federal infectious disease expert after he publicly disagreed with President Trump's optimistic assessment of the growing outbreak in the U.S.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/925130/white-house-sending-journalists-opposition-research-dr-anthony-fauci-limiting-tv-appearances

*Everything* trump does is all about power and keeping it.

queenmargo

*Everything* trump does is all about power and keeping it.

Praise be, and let's hope he keeps it for 4 more years!!

Save    
HU-274840647

Are you assuming that power in and of itself is a good?

Annie Deighnaugh

I think trump is really missing out on something here. He should apply his logic to unwanted pregnancy.

If we don't test for pregnancy, then there are none, and if no one's pregnant, then there's no need for abortions. Problem solved!

It's a miracle!!

KarenS, NYC

I too dispute that Dr Fauci lied.

As a doctor, he's been updating us as the scientific understanding of this ever changing virus becomes more & more understood. It's a fluid, evolving situation & I trust that he keeps up w/ the latest changes & updates.

It's really pretty simple.

Dr Fauci is a man of science, whose interest & motivation is the care & protection of the American people.

DJT is a man of multiple bankruptcies & reality television whose sole interest is himself & whose only motivation is being re-elected.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
Nana H

Fauci's greatest sin, in my view, was trying to walk the line and not embarrass Trump for way too long.

Dr Birks is a disgrace in that regard too.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by roxanna7
KarenS, NYC

She was a disgrace in my eyes from day 1, as her first press conf. that I saw was (pardon me) a-- kissing DJT & his 'misstatements' re: Corona virus.

barncatz

Trump was and is a follower of Norman Vincent Peale and his The Power of Positive Thinking. Seriously. Apart from Trump's obvious bias toward reopening for the economy, when I think of Trump's pronouncements as evidence of his strong belief in Peale's methods, they often seem understandable and consistent.

So, Trump might be irritated on a couple levels by Fauci's "this is trending badly" observations. Think positively, Anthony!

maifleur03

Curious has anyone seen Pence in the last few days.

mr1010

Pence was in Florida last Friday w/ Floriduh Gov. for another wasted presser.

When asked who they trusted on COVID-19 information, Trump or Fauci, 67% said Fauci and far less said Trump, more or less sealing Fauci’s fate.

It was actually 26% - so even part of his base doesn't trust him.

jmm1837

I noticed this from the article linked by Annie:

"A senior administration official told CNN some White House officials don't trust Fauci because they don't think he has Trump's best interests in mind, pointing to statements were he publicly disagreed with Trump."

That says it all. Dr. Fauci doesn't have Trumps interest in mind, just those of the American people, so he has to go (but not before the White House does its best to smear his reputation). Disgraceful.

KarenS, NYC

That says it all. Dr. Fauci doesn't have Trumps interest in mind, just those of the American people

That's EXACTLY right, didn't I make exactly that point above? That Dr Fauci's interest is the American People.

Trump's interest is Trump & his re-election.

That DOES say it all, it couldn't be more nauseatingly clear.

leona_2008

Bottom line: trump doesn't care about the 135,000+ lives already lost and he's going to do what is in his own best interests no matter how many more lives it costs.

trump doesn't care if you die.

he should be charged with voluntary manslaughter of well over 50,000 people.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen Banquettes: Explaining the Buffet of Options
We dish up info on all your choices — shapes, materials, storage types — so you can choose the banquette that suits your kitchen best
Full Story
Coffee With an Architect Design Explained in Pie Charts
If you've ever wondered about the creative process of architects and designers, check out these simple charts
Full Story
Coffee With an Architect Hitting the Bars to Explain the Design Process
Simple bar charts and a little math by a seasoned architect give a helpful overview of renovation and new-build proceedings
Full Story