SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeintheforest

Pool Patio- bluestone too hot? how make permeable?

homeintheforest
3 years ago

We are wanting to install a patio around our pool and like the look of bluestone. I'm big on doing right ecologically, so would like something that would be water permeable. Also, many people have warned us that bluestone will make the area feel hot and we won't be able to walk barefoot on it. So in trying to decide whether pavers would be a better overall choice even though I prefer the natural stone aesthetically, I have few questions if anyone has the experience or knowledge to share:

1.) I saw on the Unilock website that one could choose a permeable base/bed installation instead of standard installation. Would installing bluestone (dry set with the stones touching with polymeric sand swept on top) somehow make it more permeable and better environmentally?

2.) Does anyone have experience with Techo Bloc's permeable pavers? (not wanting cobble stone look so their "Blu" model which offers larger sizes could possibly work)

3.) To address the heat issue of bluestone, I see Unilock has a simulated bluestone paver (Beacon Hill Flagstone), but it is not marketed as water permeable. Anyone have experience or feedback on whether this might be a better choice than bluestone?

Thanks for any advice or thoughts you might have!

Comments (13)