SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mysticwaves_zone7a

Salmon or coral colored roses, please suggest.

Looking for Salmon or coral colored roses. What would you recommend.

Thanks!

Comments (65)

• Cactus&Roses (Zone 7, high desert)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you like miniature roses, Millie Walters is very true salmon/coral and very prolific. The temps in my desert climate have been as high as 106F lately and MW shrugs. Today was pretty cool at only 102F and this is how it looked in late afternoon, this flush has been happening over the last very hot week. I don't know how it would fare in humidity, as I've only grown it in a dry climate.

I would call my America a definite salmon also. While not a true salmon IMO, Portlandia is awash w pink and orange and apricot shading, so it's salmon-esque. I don't have any pics of either of those the moment. Safari begins orange but morphs into salmon (and Safari holds it's shape till the very end). Here's a pic of a Safari bloom from a few weeks ago.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Brendan - your second picture of Carding Mill is heavenly!!!!

Joey - I love your Adobe Sunrise! So pretty!

Cactus - your Safari is wonderful! :)

• Related Discussions

Coral- or Salmon-color gladiolus

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi, try one called Spic and Span. Box stores have it. Check out www.gladworld.org for other sources. Steve in Baltimore county.
    ...See More

List of peach, coral, salmon perennials

Q

Comments (24)
    I apologize ahead of time if this one was already stated, but how about Achillea millefolium 'Apricot Delight'? Mine blooms apricot/coral. If I'm not mistaken, it can also form dark pink or light pink flowers provided a sunnier location. Not the best photo, but just to give you an idea: http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/48629/2750746900101542237S600x600Q85.jpg
    ...See More

Fragrant orange/salmon/coral varieties?

Q

Comments (18)
    I must have a half dozen H. Desire as mislables. Yesterday I cut back (my way) about 40 bulbs...and I hope to do about the same number today. Hard on the back! Bought extra large bottles of 70% rubbing alcohol for dipping the knife in. Hope to get the GH up this weekend. We are supposed to be in high 30s mid next week. K
    ...See More

Some corals and salmons

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks Jean! I'll try to do another slide show soon. That CIRCUS DAY is a rather interesting rose. It has so many petals, it almost never really fully opens up. And it's one the deer really love! Must be really tasty. I have to spray it with my repellent or it will be a goner! Peachiekean, it took many yrs of trying to get GINGER ROGERS. I'm really glad to finally have her. But now I see Hortico has her available again. Sue, that's a beautiful shot of SUNRISE/FREISINGER MORGENROTE! It really is a wonderful rose. Judith, thank you, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too!! Never heard of F.J. Lindheimer before. Just looked it up on HMF. That's a sweet-looking rose. Thanks Bethsmom!! Yep, "Beth" and "roses" go hand-in-hand!! Hee-hee MERRY CHRISTMAS to you also! And look for that CIRCUS DAYS at Hortico. It is also showing currently available! It's a very cool and interesting rose, as I mentioned to Jean. Long-lasting blooms that have tons of petals. It grows about 4ft for me, so far. Repeats well, despite occasionally getting chowed on by the deer. I'm glad you all like the coral-tones! I somehow keep being drawn to them so often. But then, I'm drawn to the oranges, apricots, mauves, tans......
    ...See More
  • Bc _zone10b
    3 years ago

Thanks rosecanadian! I love everyones pictures, Joey's America and cactusandroses Millie Walters look especially nice, gotta find them and try them for my yard.

• Krista_5NY
    3 years ago

Sweet Mademoiselle has fragrant blooms, vibrant color. Mine is two years old, has strong stems and growth, tolerates winter well.

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

I second Millie Walters...it's a gorgeous mini. My pics don't capture the color well..they look more orange when really it's a strong and luscious coral. I used to have the ht , Sonia. I was not crazy about the color but might try it again someday as it was an outstanding plant and bloomed a lot. Nice shaped blooms I like Carding MIll but it blackspots a lot here. Comtesse de Provence ( Liv Tyler) is probably my favorite coral. It has vigor, great rebloom, gorgeous huge blooms, and an intense, fruity fragrance. My pics don't capture the color well.

Millie Walters

Comtesse de Provence

Comtesse du Cayla a prolific tea, very healthy but blooms fry in hot sun and it was too cold tender here. Most of my plant is gone.

Thomasville Old Gold has a lot of coral in it

Elie Beauvillain has coral reverses

• Tututara Zone 7
    3 years ago

I am in the same DMV area and I have both roses Boscobel and Carding Mill. Both purchased from David Austin online. My suggestion will be to go with Boscobel as Carding mill has black spot issue in our weather more severe than Boscobel. Both of them bloom profusely here and Boscobel is more fragrant to my nose. This year I am trying Sweet Mademoiselle HT rose which displays changing colors just like Boscobel as weather changes. It has salmon pink color that changes intensity with temperature.

mysticwaves_zone7a thanked Tututara Zone 7
  • mysticwaves_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all. Really really appreciate all your inputs. Spoilt for choice now, and looking forward to buying them.
    Shortlisted boscobel, climbing America, savannah, adobe sunrise, carding mill, lady of shallot, Millie Walters, sweet mademoislle.

@Tututara, nice to hear feedback from someone in the same zone. Boscobel, will definitely buy it.
    Any others that u recommend that’s growing well for u, please suggest. Any color is fine.

• elvie z9CA
    3 years ago

Marmalade Skies. So far Burst of Joy is seeming to fit in coral-salmon side of orange.

• damask_rose_zone9b
    3 years ago

Tropicana is a great coral colored rose. The smell is strong and fruity and the color is dazzling in the garden. The only problem is that it is very susceptible to mildew. Other than that I love it. It feels very retro to me; everything from its color to its name screams 60s. I'm not sure if it would be hardy in your zone though. HelpMeFind says it's hardy to zone 7b, but Dave's Garden says it's hardy to zone 5a.

Enjoy choosing your new rose!

damask_rose : )

mysticwaves_zone7a thanked damask_rose_zone9b
  • totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Sweet Mademoiselle, Lady of the Mist for shade. My new Matchless Mother has so Many buds after only a few weeks of being defoliated for shipment.

mysticwaves_zone7a thanked totoro z7b Md
  • mysticwaves_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The pictures are stunning!

Love this place. Just so amazing. So many choices to pick from. Thank you to all.

Came across Paris de Yves St. Laurent at the heirloom site. Is it a good rose for Zone 7a.

• damask_rose_zone9b
    3 years ago

Hi mysticwaves! Wow, "Paris de Yves St. Laurent" is such a beautiful rose! On HelpMeFind it is listed as hardy to zone 7b, and Dave's Garden says it's hardy to zone 7a. I'm not sure because I live in a warm zone, but I have heard that gardeners in colder locations have had great success growing cold-sensitive roses in protected locations or in warmer microclimates in their yard.

Another rose that looks extremely similar to "Paris de Yves St. Laurent" but that is hardy to zone 6b is "Bill Warriner." I have been recommending this rose left and right today, but it really is a wonderful rose. I posted my review of it with pictures on another thread if you are interested. It is the last comment on the thread: What’s your “I MUST HAVE MORE!” rose?.

I hope this helps!

• mysticwaves_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, will look up Bill Warriner rose. Yes, Paris is so pretty, will research more about it

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Damask, I have been looking for Bill Warriner for 2 seasons now and havent found it. It used to be exclusively a Jackson and Perkins rose. Is that where you got yours ?

• damask_rose_zone9b
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Kristine Le Gault! I got my bushes of “Bill Warriner” from cuttings from one tiny bush in a pot that was left there by the previous owners of our farm. Here is the link to it on the Rogue Valley Roses website: Bill Warriner. Hopefully they will be back in stock soon.

Hi mysticwaves! Sounds like a good plan!

I hope that the roses will grow and bloom beautifully for you both!

• Cactus&Roses (Zone 7, high desert)
    3 years ago

A new bloom on a first year

America climber, band size

• Liz Bell
    2 years ago

Do folks find that "All Dressed Up" has more of a peach salmon tone than true pink?

2 years ago

My new favorite salmon color rose is Jolie Veranda

Such a healthy bush as well

Lady of Shallot

• subk3
    2 years ago

Kordes climber Rosanne (with clematis Prince Charles)

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Sub, that is gorgeous.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Kristine - I love the color of your JV!!! Intense!!

Sub - you really chose well with pairing those two together!! Wow!

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

Sweet Mademoiselle is FABULOUS. I encouraged my mom to get it and was just dumbfounded at the blooms. They're insane. 5-6 inch MASSIVE cabbage roses. Each one perfect. They look fake they're so lovely.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Aaron...and can you describe the fragrance? Sounds like a great rose!

• Tututara Zone 7
    2 years ago

Here are photos of Sweet Mademoiselle from last year. It had mild fragrance but it was just second year.

2 years ago

I almost forgot about Daybreaker

• Ryan Coastal LA Zone 10b
    2 years ago

Didn’t see anybody mention my favorite coral, Sedona. Strong pear fragrance and great bloomer.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Tututara - your 2nd picture shows such a great bush with lots of really full roses!! Love!

Kristine - your Daybreaker is a bloom machine!

Ryan - that first picture really has such strong color!! Love!

2 years ago

Ryan, I am in love with your Sedona. I need to Scout out a place for one of my own

What a fiery orange

Carol, not sure how I ended up with 2 Daybreaker roses probably the first one didnt thrive and I got a replacement but they are both blooming machines

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Kristine, I love your Daybreaker and have always wanted one. The color is subtle and beautiful. I'm waiting on the Austin, "Bring Me Sunshine" for next year (I hope), since I can't get "Double Easy Orange". All the places that sell DEO can't ship to Idaho. Probably a good thing. The Easy Does It I grew a few years back had a nice orang-ish shade. Diane

Easy Does It

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

America came to my mind first in thinking of a coral colored rose. It may depend upon what you mean by coral. I would consider Dee-lish to be coral colored. I’ve shown photos on other threads and I would recommend it for the great fragrance.

2 years ago

Is this coral? Or salmon?

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Who knows, Nose? I love it and I'll say it looks like Boscobel. Am I wrong? Up the thread, I posted Boscobel as having some coralish tones. Diane

2 years ago

I love how densely petaled your Boscobel is, Diane. Mine doesn't produce flowers with as many petals. They do sometimes look similar to Dee-lish.

It's not very often that Boscobel blooms with this many petals for me.

Sometimes mine gets this glowing interior that Dee-lish never does.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Those blooms look great to me. Are the first two Dee-Lish? What about the photos in your first set of photos? Boscobel and Dee-Lish look so much alike. Diane

2 years ago

The first set of three photos are Dee-lish. The second set of four photos are Boscobel. They do look similar. But the blooms on my Dee-lish are larger. Boscobel tends to have petals that curve inward. In the garden, the plants are different. My Boscobel is short and densely branched. My Dee-lish is more of an HT type of bush with more upright canes and not many branches.

Boscobel:

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 years ago

I will happily join Diane and Noseo in the Boscobel enabling.

I love it when Boscobel has the glowing center!

Noseo your Deelish is beautiful. I got a band of it last year so I'm really looking forward to this year.

Tutora, your Sweet Mademoiselle is just lovely. What a great picture of the whole plant. I got a small band of SM last year and just had 2 blooms as the plant is growing. I'm really looking forward to this season.

Kristine, I love your Daybreaker and Ryan, your Sedona is beautiful. Your description of the fragrance is intriguing. Diane, your Easy Does It has so much ruffly goodness.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Gorgeous photos, Librarian. The centers of your plants' blooms really do glow. Boscobel is one of my favorite Austins. Mine is not shaped like Nose's plant--short and dense. My Bosco is pretty big and not quite as dense. Thanks about Easy Does It, but it had problems after several years. A hard winter caused some dieback, and it started to decline so I removed it. It's a rose I'd grow again if I had the room, though mine didn't take up much space.

Nose, I love that perfect photo of a perfect Boscobel. Diane

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

GASP!!!! I'm SOOOO glad that I ordered Boscobel (thanks to Diane's enabling) this year!! All of these pictures are fabulous!!!!

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Oh, I'm glad you're going to give Boscobel a try, Carol. This is a rose that wants to be good, and I'll bet yours will not disappoint. Diane

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Diane - if it doesn't do well for me...I can't blame it on the Boscobel. Austins hate me. LOL Only Bishop's Castle loves me. I'm excited to try it!

2 years ago

@librarian_gardner_8b_pnw - oooh, such a nice Boscobel. I love that glowing center that yours get, with such dense petals.

I don't get much time to comment, but:

@joeywyomingzone4 - your Adobe Sunrise is amazing. Those ruffles!

@Krista_5NY and @Tututara Zone 7 - now I want a Sweet Mademoiselle (that sounds awful!), after seeing your photos!

@erasmus_gw - gorgeous Comtesse de Provence. Can you tell us more about it?

…and thanks for the kind comments!…

• erasmus_gw
    2 years ago

Thank you. I bought Comtesse de Provence as a body bag rose and it has been wonderful. My plant is fairly large with thick reddish canes that are not perfectly upright, but lean this way and that and branch a lot. So it's a big , somewhat lax shrub . Might make a good climber. Reblooms pretty well. The blooms are very large, a beautiful shade of peachy coral, and have an intense fruity fragrance. I have an own root one in another spot which has slowly gotten to be pretty large. It's not blackspot free but in your climate , which I'm guessing is dryer, it might not have much blackspot.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

I bought the above from Antique Rose Emporium this spring 2022 for its winter hardiness. Hopefully the bloom is larger than my own-root Tess of the Urbervilles (the parent of the above Prairieville Prince).

Below 10th-year own-root Carding Mill is my most favorite salmon/orange rose:

Below own-root Liv Tyler is salmon-pinkish and is a heavy bloomer & very healthy in my alkaline clay. Pic. taken at near 90 F.

For the best scent salmon-pink goes to Sweet Promise, its scent is WAY BETTER than Sweet Mademoiselle. Below Sweet Promise is fresh apple blossoms, and Sweet M. is myrrh & nectarine:

Below are Sweet Mademoiselle (more orange), but I prefer the scent of Sweet Promise (2007 French Romantica):

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen a Carding Mill bloom as lovely as yours, Straw! The shape is perfection! And I love the mass of color in your bouquet!! I think my fave in your bouquet is Sweet Mademoiselle. :) :)

2 years ago

Straw, your Prairieville Prince and Carding Mill are spectacular !!

Joey, your Adobe Sunrise is yhe reason yhat I planted mine.

I got 1 bloom last year and it sat like a lump. I would have pulled it except for the memory of that one fabulous bloom. This year it has tripled in size so I expect good things to come.

• KJ (9B, San Jose CA)
    8 months ago

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw How is your Adobe Sunrise doing this year? I'm debating between Adobe sunrise and Double easy orange.

• erasmus_gw
    8 months ago

Boscobel looks like a good one. Here's Leander...I think of it as apricot but it's close to light coral or salmon.

Coral Dawn

Carnival Glass

Is it orange or coral? Portlandia

8 months ago

My Adobe Sunrise is still so stingy but dang it I am throwing everything at it in hopes that it will get serious about blooming.

I am loving Prairie Sunrise

There's a rose that is seserious about blooming .

My new Reminiscent coral is a stunner with nice large blooms that are petal packed and fragrant

Easy Does It continues to impress after 8 years.

Easy does it

Reminiscent coral

Prairie Sunrise

• sautesmom Sacramento
    8 months ago

I adore my Tahitian Sunset, with fabulous honeysuckle scent, unfortunately the blooms last only a couple days.

Carla in Sac