Heroes save two children from burning building

olychick

The father of the children with the two men who saved his children. The mother died in the blaze.

Man Catches Child Dropped from Balcony by mother.

Not really a hot topic but people acting selflessly right now (besides our front line workers) restores my faith about the future of our country.

SaveComment34Like10
Comments (34)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris GW

Very nice!

1 Like Save     Thanked by olychick
blfenton

Link in the OP is behind a paywall. Here is another link

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-07-09/former-saddleback-college-receiver-catches-child-burning-building

I saw this story on our news and I'm so glad that the children are safe. But the mom died in the fire which is tragic.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by olychick
olychick

Thank you blfenton for the better link.

Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

It was amazing that the man could catch the toddler. Even more amazing is that the man's friend ran into the burning building and rescued the child's sister. These guys are real heroes.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by olychick
Stars Inthesky

Yes, true heroes and a very uplifting story.

elvis

It was amazing that the man could catch the toddler. Even more amazing is that the man's friend ran into the burning building and rescued the child's sister. These guys are real heroes.

The guy who ran into the building and rescued the little girl is a true hero. He had everything to lose. The guy outside who caught the toddler is a good catch! He had nothing to lose. The word "hero" gets diminished with overuse, and that's a shame.

Save    
Stars Inthesky

Seriously, “a good catch”? What would be said if the child wasn’t caught? How can anyone turn this story into a negative. These guys are truly heroes.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by olychick
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

“He had nothing to lose.”

Suppose he had failed to catch her? He would have been haunted by it for the rest of his life.

11 Likes Save     Thanked by olychick
sjerin

And it would have been easy for the guy catching the child to break a limb or hit his head. How can anyone possibly diminish this heroic act?

bleusblue2

Nit picking over who is a bigger hero? Ask the father of the child caught in the arms of a man who had "nothing to lose." Really.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by olychick
elvis

Stars Inthesky

Seriously, “a good catch”? What would be said if the child wasn’t caught?

Absolutely nothing.

Ask the father of the child caught in the arms of a man who had "nothing to lose."

Good point, to the father and the child, he is of course a hero.

Save     Thanked by olychick
jmm1837

A hero is a guy who takes a risk to help and protect others. You can be a hero without risking life and limb.

Ziemia(6a)

The "catcher" risked a devastating failure.

1 Like Save    
jmm1837

Exactly. He could have just stood by and said "there's nothing I can do." No risk at all to doing that. He's a hero in my book for standing up to the challenge.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by olychick
bleusblue2

Again -- why nit pick. The Dictionary has nothing to do with whether he is considered heroic or not. If it were your child you'd never forget him. He is the hero who saved your child's life.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by olychick
patriciae_gw(07)

Me too. I am good to go with hero. And the amazing guy who went into the building. Hero. Thankfully there are people who will do this sort of thing. Not too many people could have caught that child, the weight, the timing. Mercy.

olychick

Well, who knew this COULD become a hot topic...seriously? Diminishing a selfless act to save a child. Kind of reminds me of the bonespurs pandemic president's comments about McCain's POW experience...no wonder this country is in such trouble.

6 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Actually, the dictionary definition of "hero" does cover this young man:

" 1. : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability

b : an illustrious warrior

c : a person admired for achievements and noble qualities

d : one who shows great courage"

I'd say this young man fits nicely into "c." That was some achievement. Let's not try to diminish it.

lurker111

From what I saw, he didn't catch the baby at all.

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

lurker111

11 minutes ago

From what I saw, he didn't catch the baby at all.

———

However that’s not what everyone else saw.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by olychick
jmm1837

Alternate reality?

olychick

Yep, I'm sure it was fake news. The baby slammed into the ground, broke two limbs and has a concussion from hitting his head on the pavement. /s

Or, even though YOU didn't see it, he actually caught the baby, breaking his fall, saving him from possible critical injuries.

And even though YOU didn't see it, the Titanic sank.

6 Likes Save    
foodonastump

The word hero does tend to get thrown about loosely, but when someone springs to action to save another from death or great bodily harm, I wouldn’t nitpick. Nor would I nitpick between catching or breaking a fall. The pass was complete.

I do object to calling the gentlemen sandwiches though. They’re heroes not heros.

heri_cles

Elvis, that was some strange nit picking. Very strange.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by olychick
olychick

Foas, I changed the title..thank you. Every time I looked at it I knew it was wrong and thought the time had passed for correcting it; but houzz must have increased the grace period for making corrections! So now they are heroes and not heros!

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I hadn’t noticed that change - good to know! Looks like you still can’t delete your thread after a certain point, but edit has been extended.

lurker111

However that’s not what everyone else saw.

Hallucinating? I also heard it hit the ground. The child was out cold when he had it in his arms.
His two children are in the hospital with serious injuries that are not life-threatening.

Anyway, nice try.

olychick

Serious injuries from a fall or perhaps smoke and fire related.

Anyway, nice try.

1 Like Save    
jmm1837

The baby has burns from the fire. For crying out loud, there's a video, a witness standing right beside him, there were other witnesses who helped with the burns. Give the man his due.

bleusblue2

Now I have seen and read it all. Why even respond to the diversion? Despicable. I'm not going to put the dot on the i. Figure it out.

edited

jmm1837

There's a lot of "despicable" going on these days.

lurker111

Give the man his due.

I did. Nice try.

olychick

luckily, he doesn't need you to give him his due. The father and the rest of the country that admires his act have given him his due. Some random naysayer means nothing.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

The family.

Very sad event.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Frank Lloyd Wright Step Inside a Frank Lloyd Wright House Saved From Demolition
The historic Phoenix property is now part of the architect’s school at Taliesin, where it will be used as a design lab
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: From Burned Down to Done Up in Las Vegas
A fire gutted this midcentury home — and laid the groundwork for a beautiful new floor plan
Full Story
Small Kitchens Space-Saving Tips From 100-Square-Foot Kitchens
Find out how to get more usable space by going custom, hanging your cabinets higher and more
Full Story