Would someone please inform potus...

Annie Deighnaugh

...that voting is a *right* not a privilege! Isn't there a primer version of the Constitution he can read???

SaveComment30Like2
Comments (30)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patriciae_gw(07)

Do what?

Save    
Kathy

The “privilege” in his pea brain is because he allows Dems to vote at all.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Worst case scenario -- because Trump believes voting is a privilege, he thinks that as POTUS he can determine who is entitled to that privilege.

His tweets are so off the wall lately, who knows what the man means or intends to say.

6 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Well that explains why the doctors were amazed he did so well on his cognitive test.

15 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Unless someone drops those absentee ballots off either at the election board or in some states a designated area I keep wondering what the rest of the people that use absentee ballots do with their ballots if they do not mail them. Compost them and expect their votes to count?

Save    
elvis

When I use an absentee ballot, I drop it off at the town clerk in person. I use it when I'll be out of my voting district on election day, i.e., vacation, scheduled surgery, etc.

Save    
elvis

Back to the OP question:

..that voting is a *right* not a privilege! Isn't there a primer version of the Constitution he can read???

It's both. There are pre-conditions to voting, i.e., citizenship, age, felony conviction in some states, and possibly some other restrictions could be applied in some states.

The "is voting a right, privilege, or responsibility?" debate has been going on for quite some time, so I don't see POTUS use of the term "privilege" with respect to voting to be a faux pas.

I do not believe that the US Constitution specifically addresses the "right to vote", but rather, alludes to it by way of amendments which prohibit discrimination.

Save    
jmm1837

I mail mine. Signed, barcoded, what more do the authorities need?

2 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

We mail ours, too. No problem

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

I am just now trying to figure out how to do it. Found the website, application is requesting a previous USA address. It is strange to include an address to a home which has been sold and is no longer ours. Maybe someone can shed light on this. Thanks

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

elvis, see, eg the 15th and 19th amendments...they say the *right* to vote, not the *privilege* to vote.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

See the 2nd amendment. Read the last sentence. Where does the Bill of Rights say that you can vote however you please? It clearly says that you must be a citizen. That means that you must be able to prove it.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The 2nd amendment?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

As soon as trump starts talking voting is a privilege, the next step is it will be a privilege only for those who are going to vote for him.

Heck the gop has been working on that for years with their voter suppression efforts in democratic areas.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

The mail-in thing is just to set things up for his "rigged election" screed if he loses. I am truly concerned that Trump will try to use his Presidential powers to do something serious to interfere with the November election.

6 Likes Save    
batyabeth

so am I nana. This man does not lose well, not does he allow for the legitimacy of laws that prevent him from doing what he wnats. He'll try, that's for sure. Eternal vigilance, people.

4 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Who gets to vote has always been a problem in a democracy. If only rich men are allowed to vote and the candidates are rich men, guess who wins. If only citizens are allowed to vote, as in Ancient Greece someone has to define who is a citizen and who not. If everyone has a vote, like a referendum the result often creates a mess especially when voters do not understand what is at stake, like brexit for instance.In a real democracy as many people as possible should be encouraged to vote and educated to understand what they are voting for.

But it shouldn’t stop there, because we need to have a mechanism in place to ensure those we elect do their job of doing what it best for us without having to vote on every issue. I challenge anyone to show how close we are to that ideal.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"...that voting is a *right* not a privilege! Isn't there a primer version of the Constitution he can read???"

The right to vote in a presidential election is reserved for citizens. It is not extended to non-citizens. In a country with millions of non-citizens who are here in violation of our laws, it's a public service reminder.

By the way, has anyone thought about what a bunch of anarchists skilled in arson could do to our presidential election if we relied upon mail in ballots?

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

I'm all for going electronic. If they spent half as much time working on that as they do complaining about mail-in, we'd be done.

Save    
chisue

Why does Trump fear mail-in ballots? Is it easier to rig elections where people must vote in person?

I see that some of our most repressive states only permit absentee ballots that require the voter to state a REASON he/she can't vote in person. And, the reason can be *rejected*.

It won't matter much eventually if De Vos is permitted to continue dumbing down public education.

Save    
studio10001

I don't think this about fear. It is about propoganda. And adopted: sure. Not to mention what skilled hackers could do to electronic votes, yes? Snap out of it.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Not to mention what skilled hackers could do to electronic votes, yes?"

No. Hacking requires a particular set of skills and careful planning.

Arson is quick and dirty. Setting mail trucks on fire would be even more fun than setting police cars on fire. Think of all those paper ballots going up in flames!

1 Like Save    
studio10001

You think of it, if it amuses you. Also know that when you write about skill, it means: skill. Reading your own posts optional, of course.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Tryingtounderstand no one has answered your question so I will try. If it asks both your current and past address it will do two things. Help verify that you are actually you. Secondly it would be used to remove you from your previous polling place.

If it is only one address on the application they simply have thrown a roadblock in the voting process so that you must physically go to a place to vote.

Save    
jmm1837

Well, if I were an anarchist who wanted to disrupt the polls, I wouldn't worry about going after the post office , I'd bomb the polling station.

This is ludicrous. Are you worried about anarchists or illegals? There has been no history of either corrupting the voting process, but a long and ugly history of states doing it by throwing roadblocks in the way of the Black population exercising their rights.

3 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

Ludicrous is all they've got.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

SKILLED

"By the way, has anyone thought about what a bunch of anarchists skilled in arson could do to our presidential election if we relied upon mail in ballots?"

Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Elvis said: I do not believe that the US Constitution specifically addresses the "right to vote", but rather, alludes to it by way of amendments which prohibit discrimination.

Mary says: Whaaaaaaaaa......t??????????

Amendment XXIV (Amendment 24 - Abolition of the Poll Tax Qualification in Federal Elections)

1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation. ratified #24

Amendment XXVI (Amendment 26 - Reduction of Voting Age Qualification)

1. 1: The right of citizens of the United States, who are 18 years of age or older, to vote, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of age. affects 15

2: The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation. ratified #26

1 Like Save    
jmm1837

"' Not to mention what skilled hackers could do to electronic votes, yes?'

No. Hacking requires a particular set of skills and careful planning. "

So, you've never heard of Anonymous?

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

...(someone tell Donald) ...that voting is a *right* not a privilege!

He thinks it's a privilege to vote for him, nyuk

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Crowd-Pleasing Paint Colors for Staging Your Home
Ignore the instinct to go with white. These colors can show your house in the best possible light
Full Story
Home Offices Quiet, Please! How to Cut Noise Pollution at Home
Leaf blowers, trucks or noisy neighbors driving you berserk? These sound-reduction strategies can help you hush things up
Full Story
Disaster Prep & Recovery 7 Ways to Help Someone Hit by a Hurricane
The best things you can do in the wake of devastation are sometimes the most surprising
Full Story