30 yr-old dies after going to 'COVID party' thinking virus was 'hoax'

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Last time 'COVID party' came up on HT, trumpsters emphatically insisted there was no such thing--but here we are again. News about another 'COVID party'--and, worse, the death of one partier!

---------------------

"I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not."

Those were the final words of a 30-year-old patient who died at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio, Texas, this week after attending a so-called "COVID party," according to the hospital's chief medical officer.

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital, said in a recorded statement that the unidentified patient told nurses about the party, which she said is hosted by someone diagnosed with coronavirus.

"The thought is people get together to see if the virus is real and if anyone gets infected," Appleby said.

[. . .]

Appleby said she shared the story not to scare people, but to make sure they understand that the virus can affect anyone.

[. . .]

Appleby warned that the virus "doesn't discriminate" and encouraged the public to wear a mask and stay home as much as possible."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/30-year-man-dies-attending-covid-party-thinking/story?id=71731414

--------------------------

Heart-breaking story.

Kate

SaveComment113Like
Comments (113)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blfenton

A few weeks ago our running group was joking about the possibility of ignorant stupid people having covid parties, rather like some moms in the past would have chicken-pox parties. But we just laughed it off saying it would never happen.

Well, ignorant stupid people are doing just that and winding up not well and not alive. I can't believe this is happening.

5 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Eat, drink and be merry ...

Save    
kadefol

I just can't feel sorry for anyone who deliberately exposes him/herself, I feel sorry for those who catch this through no fault of their own.

5 Likes Save    
jmm1837

I feel sorry for a world in which science and common sense are in such short supply.

17 Likes Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
Kathy

I’m thinking we need to see more of the inside of the hospitals and hear more from Covid patients. It reminds me of how we fight our wars now. It seems there is a media brown-out of the deaths and victims. We need to see the results because there are those who attribute everything to fake news.

8 Likes Save    
roxanna7

Kathy, I agree with your last sentence, especially. Sixty years ago, when I was a freshman in high school. there was a fatal car crash due to one of our students driving badly. The local police took the senior boys who were taking drivers' ed to see the totally destroyed vehicle (with parental support) as a very graphic warning. It was sobering, even for those of us who weren't taken to see it first-hand.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

I have thought for a while if people who have had the virus should talk about the after affects and how long they lasted or are still ongoing months later. More people would understand how dangerous the virus is. I never thought that using the word recovered was a good idea. To many that means all the symptoms are gone and people are back to a normal life. Then there is the small thing with the difference between the whole population dying and the number of people who have been diagnosed with the virus dying. First is much less than 1% the second one is between 4% to 9% depending on which site you look at.

5 Likes Save    
blfenton

A doctor in our community was released from the hospital last week after spending 105 days in it with covid. The affects of the virus have left him with kidney, lung, heart and neurological damage.

Maybe these idiots that believe the virus is a hoax should talk to some of the "survivors".

11 Likes Save    
Kathy

We keep hearing about the deaths but we aren’t seeing the evidence. It is too clean. We need some visuals to impress on people how serious this is. The video that was done in an Italian hospital is what we need here. It is sad to say we need to do that to impress on some the seriousness of this virus.

6 Likes Save    
cattyles

I don’t know if anyone has posted this yet. “It’s like a cold” and “death” are not the only consequences of COVID. As many people are left with long term issues as recover completely.

5 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The problem is there's plenty of video, and seeing them dig mass graves in NYC and seeing the refer trucks piled up because the morgues are full is plenty visual. The problem is the people who need to see it are watching rw media which will never broadcast it. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007081747/coronavirus-nyc-mass-graves.html

7 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Just ask Richard Rose...oh wait...you can't....he's dead.

(Language obscured by me.)

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Annie, I haven’t seen any documentary or informative TV specials except the one on the hospital from Italy. I do know they said they were reluctant to do it but I think it’s necessary.

Save    
jmm1837

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. There are a lot of people who've made up their minds about what they want Covid19 to be and no amount of science, fact or evidence about what it actually is, or the risks it presents, will change their minds. If the photos of mass graves in NYC didn't get through, nothing will. For them, admitting that the numbers are real, that the science is real, would mean admitting that their own behavior carries consequences for others, which would mean having to change that behavior and they're not going to do that. It's all about them and their rights, so ignoring the reality means they can endanger others with a clear conscience. Narcissism rules.

9 Likes Save    
Kathy

It doesn’t help that the President and his sycophants on news channels are calling it a hoax to take down Trump. No leadership and the fact is they want to ignore it until the election hoping people will believe we are on the road to recovery.

6 Likes Save    
graywings123(7)

I see plenty of information about COVID, including stories of people talking about their own experiences with it. Even on the local FOX station. So I don't know how the COVIDIOTS are missing it.

I have doubts about the Richard Rose Facebook posts. Yes, he died of COVID, but I suspect the posts are fiction.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Now where on earth do these people get the unfounded and strange idea that the virus is a hoax?

..oops, I see, thx Kathy

Save    
terezosa / terriks

I have doubts about the Richard Rose Facebook posts. Yes, he died of COVID, but I suspect the posts are fiction.

It sounds like it is true, according to this Truth or Fiction website.

Here's his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rickrose2007

Save    
barncatz

I wondered about those posts too, Graywings. But this one is for real. And sad. I don't want anyone to get this.

Paul Waldron—the commissioner for St. Johns County just south of Jacksonville, Florida—has tested positive for COVID-19 and is currently in the hospital in critical condition. Last week, Waldron voted against a countywide order requiring all residents to wear face masks as a way to prevent coronavirus infections.

In a Facebook post written by his daughter, she said he was in the "most critical of conditions," adding that because of "complications from the virus, he went into septic shock and many organs are struggling."

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-county-commissioner-who-voted-against-masks-hospital-covid-1517121

Save    
Marigold

The posts are not a hoax. His FB page has been active for a few years at least https://www.facebook.com/rickrose2007?ref=br_rs

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I think that the average conservative mind has to have direct experience. They have to see it for themselves personally-not via a documentary or video, but in person. Then they can be caring of the unfortunate, generous to others and mindful of reality. I have thought it was a lack of imagination but reading Lulu's flights of fantasy reinterpreting events makes me doubt my previous beliefs(you can tell I am a liberal) so I am back to solid in person experience as the key. Until they have it badly or know someone personally who suffers a bad case it wont register as anything but liberal politics.

6 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

kathy:

"It doesn’t help that the President and his sycophants on news channels are calling it a hoax to take down Trump. No leadership and the fact is they want to ignore it until the election hoping people will believe we are on the road to recovery."

vgkg:

"Now where on earth do these people get the unfounded and strange idea that the virus is a hoax?

..oops, I see, thx Kathy

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Where did they get such an idea?

People like you?

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/democratic-ad-twists-trumps-hoax-comment/

"Democratic Ad Twists Trump’s ‘Hoax’ Comment"

"The Democratic super PAC Priorities USA Action has been running an ad falsely suggesting President Donald Trump called the coronavirus outbreak a “hoax.”"

People like you.

Hay

5 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Richard Rose.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/07/10/year-old-port-clinton-war-vet-dies-covid-complications-fourth-july/

There are a lot of dumb people in this country and a lot of people are just trying to survive. When a crisis happens and the POTUS says it is a hoax and it will disappear and get back to business even those who aren't dumb will take risks they might have given a second thought to because they are compelled to do it to make ends meet.

I wish I could say I feel sorry for people who volunteer themselves to get sick and die because they are dumb or brainwashed or obstinate but I am done feeling pity for stupid people. I hope the people they have endangered will be okay.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Hay, there is some twisting of words I agree. The RW thinks the hoax is the big to do made about the virus, not the actual virus itself. The hoax is how serious it is in their mind. I had someone tell me all the dire news about it and needing to wear masks was the hoax. They said it is just like the flu.

5 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

patriciae_gw(07)

I think that the average conservative mind has to have direct experience. They have to see it for themselves personally-not via a documentary or video, but in person. Then they can be caring of the unfortunate, generous to others and mindful of reality. I have thought it was a lack of imagination but reading Lulu's flights of fantasy reinterpreting events makes me doubt my previous beliefs(you can tell I am a liberal) so I am back to solid in person experience as the key. Until they have it badly or know someone personally who suffers a bad case it wont register as anything but liberal politics.

It has to come to their door. Yes.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

The left twisted Trumps meaning of "hoax" pertaining to the virus and you know it. The left are responsible for fake news. Same with the whole "injecting" fake news.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Dems have complained about Trump's handling of the novel coronavirus. Trump's comments referred to these complaints as a hoax.

#Trump response was little and sluggish.

#Dems and many others complained about his response.

#Trump called the account/ documentation of these 'complainers a hoax.

Trump used the word hoax. He introduced to the conversation about his response to the novel coronavirus.

Save    
barncatz

This is from a June 4 "New Jersey Bride" blog post

My honeymoon or bachelorette party was scheduled for this summer. Will we be able to go?

.....The good news is that Florida and South Carolina are opening back up, so if you don’t mind driving or flying, these will be great destinations for this summer and fall.

I can judge the county commissioner for his mask vote because we've been told to wear masks for a long time now and it's his job to listen to medical experts to keep his county safe

But as for John Doe, I think we should blame Trump, Trump, Trump for his utter failure in leading a consistent and real federal response, leaving us all to try to divine the risks, reality, safety measures and hysteria on our own. And blame Trump and Fox News for their vilifying of Dr. Fauci, a consistent voice who should have been the voice we all were being told to listen to.

That blog post is what seemed to be true in early June, after we'd been told the cure couldn't be worse than the disease, and wouldn't be, by Trump and his republican lickspittles.

4 Likes Save    
deegw

I'm sure the dead man's family would be very comforted and relieved if a Trump fan Trumsplained Trump's comments about the virus hoax and virus fake news to them.

7 Likes Save    
queenmargo

No, dw- the dead man would not have heard anything about a "hoax" but for FAKE news who reported it THEIR way. It is the left that needs to think!

Save    
queenmargo

Trump said that the left would use this virus as another hoax against him politically. He is right, as they are doing it everyday.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Trump called the news a hoax - news about the novel coronavirus.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Most Americans - all parties - think we're opening too fast.

Am I wrong about these stats?

Save    
jmm1837

QM are you aware that Covid19 exists outside the US, and has had devastating impacts on countries far removed from Trump and his politics. The disease is not a hoax: it is very real and very dangerous. It certainly isn't and never was faux news to say so.

There are countries which have contained the disease, with varying degrees of effectiveness, and countries which have not. The US is one of the latter. That is not a Democratic plot either: that is entirely the ineptiude of the government response to the pandemic. And yes, that ineptitude is in the news everyday because case numbers and deaths are increasing every day. It would be faux news to deny that truth.

13 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Yes, I remember one of the usual suspects telling us Covid-19 parties are fake news, they do not happen.

I also heard what Trump says clearly with my own ears. He labels things he does not like hoaxes and he should rightfully be criticized when he does that.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

soupgirl53

Yes, I remember one of the usual suspects telling us Covid-19 parties are fake news, they do not happen.

I missed that post, sg. Please elaborate. Who posted that, and when?

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

jmm1837

QM are you aware that Covid19 exists outside the US, and has had devastating impacts on countries far removed from Trump and his politics. The disease is not a hoax: it is very real and very dangerous. It certainly isn't and never was faux news to say so.

Sheesh- NO ONE said the virus itself was a hoax. The hoax is of how the left spin the virus against Trump for political warfare.

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Trump downplayed the virus from the beginning—- “we have one case, 15 cases will go down to 0, it will disappear in April with the heat, it will magically disappear“——-and did nothing about it for two months. Then he pushed for states to reopen early—which has gotten us to where we are now. Yes, the Dems are rightfully using these facts against him every day.

6 Likes Save    
jmm1837

QM: When the Democrats criticized Trump's inaction on Covid19, he called that "politicising the coronavirus'.” He described it as “their new hoax.” That was back in late February. How was it a "hoax" to argue that the country was at risk and that the testing program at that point was a shambles? That was simple truth, as anyone can see who looks back at it.

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

You can look back all you want. This Covid cover up was not forth right from the get go. We all have been given false information by China and WHO. Nobody knew what to believe. Carry on and blame Trump tho, as it makes some feel better.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

If trump had been concerned about Americans (which is his job) instead of reelection and let the experts guide a national response, we would be in decent shape. And it would be one less thing he did that deserves criticism.

10 Likes Save    
barncatz

And when Greta Van Susteren asked him [ Trump] last week about Fauci’s assessment that the country was not in a good place, Trump said flatly: “I disagree with him.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/07/11/fauci-trump-coronavirus/

Who to believe? Who to believe?

In Florida, over 40 hospitals max out ICU capacity

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-hospitals-max-out-icu-coronavirus

After the fastest recession in U.S. history, the economic recovery may be fizzling

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/07/11/after-fastest-recession-us-history-economic-recovery-may-be-fizzling/

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

queenmargo:

The left twisted Trumps meaning of "hoax" pertaining to the virus and you know it. The left are responsible for fake news. Same with the whole "injecting" fake news

About the only thing I take seriously from the left anymore is their level of hatred of conservatives and their bloodthirsty quest for control of our lives.

2 Likes Save    
barncatz

And when Greta Van Susteren asked him [ Trump] last week about Fauci’s assessment that the country was not in a good place, Trump said flatly: “I disagree with him.”

After Falling For Months, U.S. Coronavirus Deaths Per Day Are Ticking Up Again

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coronavirus-deaths-uptick-united-states_n_5f09e1fcc5b63a72c34277a0

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

So, we can now say things like this? Thought we had to be more subtle.

"And I don't believe you. Just sayin'."

Save    
Iris GW

No worry, we're closing in on 70K positive cases per day; should hit that tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Several of the anti-Trump folk here are conservative.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Iris, it was nearly 72k new cases yesterday.

Save    
terezosa / terriks

Several of the anti-Trump folk here are conservative.

Unlike Trump who is just opportunistic.

4 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

People are defending Trump for his dealings over COVID-19, surely not?

3 Likes Save    
jmm1837

"We all have been given false information by China and WHO." The world was given correct information by WHO on Jan 20 (it's human to human transmission) and on Jan 30 (it's a global pandemic.). Most of the developed world acted on that information by the end of January. The US took almost no action until mid-March. That is not the fault of WHO or China or all the countries that reacted quickly. That is the fault of the US.

I am frankly dumbfounded that there are any Americans who cannot see how much trouble the US is in right now, with cases exploding, when countries that had good testing systems in place and clear national plans in late January, have managed to get the virus under control. Does it not tell you that the American response was much slower and less effective than other nations? Does that not tell you that Trump had some responsibility for that? If not, why not? You can't keep blaming everything on China because that means you can never learn from your own mistakes. And looking at what's happening in Florida, Texas et al, it appears that is precisely the problem.

15 Likes Save    
maifleur03

HU some of the people on here would defend Trump as he sends them to their death. They are stuck on an idea that he is their savior.

9 Likes Save    
Kathy

Elvis, you can believe me or not but I know many RW who think the virus is overblown and isn’t as serious as it is portrayed. They are fine and it hasn’t hit them yet.

Save    
jmm1837

"About the only thing I take seriously from the left anymore is their
level of hatred of conservatives and their bloodthirsty quest for
control of our lives."

I can't speak for the left, but anyone with any sort of interest in science or grasp of some of the basic concepts of epidemiology knows that the Administration's refusal to listen to expert advice on managing this pandemic has contributed to the spread of the virus and to the increasing death toll. For heaven's sake, this is not a left vs right issue, it's a life vs death issue. Turning it into a political issue is what Trump has done, and it's killing people. And the virus doesn't care what the politics are of the people it kills.

In the rest of the world, left and right are working together to fight off a common enemy; in the US, too many of you have forgotten about fighting the disease in the desire to fight each other. It's madness.

13 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

jmm those dates and info were posted here in early March.

They were ignored then and they will be ignored now.

Unless they or someone close to them suffers as a result of Donnies criminal failure to protect American lives they are going to defend Donnie no matter what he does.

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

I know, dandy - I've posted them myself several times, and to the same people. Brick walls.....

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

If you would want to see worse look at sites that talk about children returning to school.

Save    
colleenoz

“We all have been given false information by China and WHO.”. So how is it that other countries which received the same information are much further ahead in their control of the viral spread? Could it be that they listened to their health experts and scientists and took prompt action instead of deciding that they knew better than the experts and opined that it would all disappear by April?

14 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"

Fauci is sidelined by the White House as he steps up blunt talk on pandemic"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/07/11/fauci-trump-coronavirus/

But as the Trump administration has strayed from the advice of many of its scientists and public health experts, the White House has moved to sideline Fauci, scuttled some of his planned TV appearances and largely kept him out of the Oval Office for more than a month even as coronavirus infections surge in large swaths of the country.

In recent days, the 79-year-old scientist and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases has found himself directly in the president’s crosshairs. During a Fox News interview Thursday with Sean Hannity, Trump said Fauci “is a nice man, but he’s made a lot of mistakes.” And when Greta Van Susteren asked him last week about Fauci’s assessment that the country was not in a good place, Trump said flatly: “I disagree with him.”

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

More... He was supposed to be on this week....

"White House communications officials, who must approve television appearances related to the coronavirus, responded by allowing Fauci spots this week on PBS NewsHour, a CNN town hall with Sanjay Gupta and NBC’s “Meet the Press” during the prime Sunday morning slot, according to one person familiar with the situation.

Then Fauci joined a Facebook Live event on Tuesday with Sen. Doug Jones (D-Ala.), disputing Trump’s assertions that a lower death rate showed the country’s progress against the pandemic.

Fauci called it “a false narrative” and warned, “Don’t get yourself into false complacency.”

Fauci did not end up making any of the scheduled appearances. The White House canceled them after his Tuesday remarks, according to the person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to relate behind-the-scenes conversations.

Trump is also galled by Fauci’s approval ratings. A recent New York Times/Siena College poll showed that 67 percent of voters trusted Fauci for information on the coronavirus, compared with 26 percent who trusted Trump.

6 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I know this is hard to understand but the Chinese weren't issued an instruction booklet with this Novel (meaning new) virus. They had to notice they had it, figure out what was going on and then tell everyone. Since we still don't know exactly what is going on I think we can cut the Chinese some slack. They indeed took the more positive route originally assuming it wouldn't be any big deal because these diseases usually arent. Trump took the same route so why are you blaming the Chinese? I have told you this before and asked similar questions but keep blaming the Chinese for the faults of the Trump administration. The rest of the world kept listening and the Chinese gave updates as they learned more. Just like all the health organizations who keep updating as they learn more. Keep up.

9 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

About the only thing I take seriously from the left anymore is their level of hatred of conservatives and their bloodthirsty quest for control of our lives.

So sad that your view of the left is so narrow and so wrong.

6 Likes Save    
jmm1837

It's even sadder that he/she assumes everyone who has a different point of view is a leftist. An extraordinarily simplistic and binary view of the human condition.

18 Likes Save    
Kathy

One of those instigators, I guess.

Save    
elvis

Those were the final words of a 30-year-old patient who died at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio, Texas, this week after attending a so-called "COVID party," according to the hospital's chief medical officer.

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital, said in a recorded statement that the unidentified patient told nurses about the party, which she said is hosted by someone diagnosed with coronavirus.

The doctor's recorded statement said that she heard a "heartbreaking" story about a 30-year-old patient who attended a COVID party. This was not an official hospital statement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/patient-dies-after-going-to-covid-party-thought-it-was-a-hoax-official/ar-BB16CCy8?ocid=msedgdhp

The doctor said "Just before the patient died, they[sic] looked at their[sic] nurse and said 'I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it's not.'"

Obviously this patient was not on a ventilator, and speaking articulately. Also, the so-called last words were, according to what the doctor said she heard, said to the patient's nurse. Singular.

I too have read that there have been numerous instances in which young people, particularly university students, have these infection parties to intentionally expose themselves, and hence find it believable that the patient went to one.

So-called "COVID parties" have been an issue across the United States with younger people. Students from the University of Alabama organized multiple COVID parties to see who would get infected first, according to Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry. "They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense...They're intentionally doing it," McKinstry said in an interview with ABC News July 1. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/patient-dies-after-going-to-covid-party-thought-it-was-a-hoax-official/ar-BB16CCy8?ocid=msedgdhp

I find the epiphanic declaration to "the nurse(s?)" to be pretty unrealistic "last words". It does make for a good cautionary tale, though.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

I am seeing a good program on Anderson Copper tonight about hospitals being overwhelmed. No wonder Trump doesn’t want his followers watching CNN.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Sounds like a made up sound bite to me, heard from a friend who heard it from a friend, but with today's editorials in place of true reporting, grabbing one more I told you you dimwit cautionary tale, it's par for the course.

Look to vaping as complicating a covid recovery and infection in many young people.

Save    
maifleur03

Sounds like people expect everyone to be put on a ventilator. That happens on tv shows not in real life. People also do not all suffocate by drowning in their own fluid or not being able to absorb oxygen but die from blood clots and other causes.

My final declaration/living will states no ventilator.

1 Like Save    
olychick

12 Likes Save    
wildchild2x2

What is it with these nurses who always come up with these outlandish stories? Does the profession entice that many loony tunes? Social media also seems is full of alleged nurses fear mongering and passing along urban legends and half truths. Oddball attention seekers or something more?

Save    
olychick

Or truth tellers.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Even if it’s a made up sound bite, it doesn’t negate the fact that people are dying, and at least a portion are those who listened to and agreed with Trump about not wearing masks, reopening and business as usual.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

Fear mongering, urban legends, half truths? Guess some are ignorant of the fact that 130,00+ have died and think none of them are making statements about their illness.

2 Likes Save    
bry911

What is it with these nurses who always come up with these outlandish stories?

In order to stop nurses from making up outlandish stories we should all wear masks! If people stop dying from Covid-19 these crazy nurses will not be able to fabricate stories about their last words! Let's all band together and stop nurses from lying about why we died!

14 Likes Save    
queenmargo

The rest of the world kept listening and the Chinese gave updates as they learned more. Just like all the health organizations who keep updating as they learn more. Keep up.

Why do we have some scientists from the Wuhan lab defecting from China then?

China gave updates as they learned.... HAH!

If you side with the Chinese regime then should I assume you are a vote for turning America communist?

1 Like Save    
terezosa / terriks

If you side with the Chinese regime then should I assume you are a vote for turning America communist?

Ridiculous statement

12 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Oh gosh. I doubt anyone is siding with the Chinese regime. Science progresses as more information comes in, but there was enough science months ago for nations to react. Much of the world did; the US did not. It is paying the price now for putting this all into poltical terms instead of scientific ones, How much more explanation is required?

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

If you want.... but you should start with this guy:

Jan. 22, Twitter: “One of the many great things about our just signed giant Trade Deal with China is that it will bring both the USA & China closer together in so many other ways. Terrific working with President Xi, a man who truly loves his country. Much more to come!”

Jan. 24, Twitter: “China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”

Jan. 29, Remarks at signing ceremony for the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement: “And, honestly, I think, as tough as this negotiation was, I think our relationship with China now might be the best it's been in a long, long time. And now it's reciprocal. Before, we were being ripped off badly. Now we have a reciprocal relationship, maybe even better than reciprocal for us.”

Jan. 30, Fox News interview: "China is not in great shape right now, unfortunately. But they're working very hard. We'll see what happens. But we're working very closely with China and other countries."

Feb. 7, Remarks at North Carolina Opportunity Now Summit in Charlotte, N.C.: "I just spoke to President Xi last night, and, you know, we're working on the — the problem, the virus. It's a — it's a very tough situation. But I think he's going to handle it. I think he's handled it really well. We're helping wherever we can."

Feb. 7, Twitter: “Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus. He feels they are doing very well, even building hospitals in a matter of only days … Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!

Feb. 7, Remarks before Marine One departure: "Late last night, I had a very good talk with President Xi, and we talked about — mostly about the coronavirus. They're working really hard, and I think they are doing a very professional job. They're in touch with World — the World — World Organization. CDC also. We're working together. But World Health is working with them. CDC is working with them. I had a great conversation last night with President Xi. It's a tough situation. I think they're doing a very good job.”

See more here: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/15/trump-china-coronavirus-188736

5 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Obviously this patient was not on a ventilator, and speaking articulately. Also, the so-called last words were, according to what the doctor said she heard, said to the patient's nurse. Singular.

Not all COVID deaths are caused by breathing issues.
It's possible the hospital does not want to mention the 30 year old's name because of HiIPAA.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"Where did they get such an idea?

People like you?"

Since you placed a question mark at the end Hay I'll answer - Nope!

Save    
lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

I can certainly understand why people have a distrust of authorities and government. Throughout history governments have been used to oppress and terrorize, and rent-seeking authorities have presented "expert evidence" that was used to enact policies resulting in the deaths of tens of millions, and the impoverishment or the imprisonment of millions of others.

Let's not pretend that there is no reason to be cynical. People should be skeptical about the motives of herds and politicians.

It's ok to think you are being played (often you really are being played), but it's also ok to adopt a "just in case" attitude and take minimally intrusive precautions for a time; not forever, but maybe for a while.

I know people want to use this and other episodes to Teach You a Lesson (tm), but instead of ridiculing people we don't like and, by proxy, other people we don't like, perhaps we could be doing useful things.

For example, why not employ UVC lights that come on when no one is in a room? That can't be a very difficult thing to deploy. It's probably quite easy once the lights and sensors are installed. We've been installing lights for more than a hundred years, and we have sensors that do all sorts of sophisticated things. Have sensors that scan the rooms and hallways for life - if there's no life (rodents don't count), on come the UVC lights.

5 Likes Save    

Th UVC light idea seems like a good one if the virus responds to UVC. I don't think there has been enough experimentation to know. This virus is new and unfortunately we don't know enough about it yet. With flu, a person more or less gets sick, and some die. With COVID, the range is you can either get it and not know you have it or you can die. If this were a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle we probably have 50 pieces assembled at the moment.

2 Likes Save    
Marigold

"...With flu, a person more or less gets sick, and some die. With COVID,
the range is you can either get it and not know you have it or you can
die...."
There is a 3rd option, and it is a scary one. The virus is too new to determine if the long haulers will eventually recover, or if they will have life long neuro problems

5 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

It's one person.

I don't see any concern for the approximately 46 people murdered every day (no doubt much more considering skyrocketing murder rates in democrat run cities) or the concern when a 30 year old in a group of between 29,000 and 59,000 has died from the flu in the US.

It's sad when anyone that wants to live dies, particularly young.

But it happens.

Scare tactics don't work, changing the plan from not overwhelming our medical system to shutting down our economy so no one gets COVID 19 (until after the presidential election), controlling people by quashing their constitutional rights--has us where we now are--divided like never before, because as always the left overreaches in their quest for control of everything--from power in the seat of our federal, state and local governments, to education, to our taxes, to our culture and habits down to what people can say in public without being professionally and/or personally ruined, down to what someone thinks or says and someone overhears in an otherwise private conversation, and records it, or just "repeats" what they say happened or was said, or they execise their First Amendment rights by written or recorded word and deed. 1984 was too tame for what's happening here.

These types of stories are just scare tactics and they worked for quite a while on many of us.

Don't count on it anymore. Pandora's box is open; we know the death rate is lower and getting lower, and won't allow the left to overtake our great country by using this insidious virus the Chinese let loose and intentionally lied about to ruin our lives and futures.

3 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Why do you keep repeating the same tune when évidence to the contrary is all around you? You don’t have to change your spots for stripes, all you have to do is look at the evidence.

10 Likes Save    
KarenS, NYC

Marigold,

Thanks, you are the only person I've seen mentioning the long-haulers. A relative sent me threads about it. These are folks who had supposedly milder cases, yet they have LINGERING SYMPTOMS MONTHS LATER.

They're enough of them now, some have started banding together & comparing notes as they find they're not alone in this situation & doctors don't seem to be tuned into, aware of this or even BELIEVING it.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-it-means-to-be-a-coronavirus-long-hauler/

This 2nd Link is to article by a Physician, an Infectious disease specialist, herself afflicted.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/28/coronavirus-long-haulers-infectious-disease-testing

To the disbelievers: note that the links I'm providing are MEDICAL SOURCES.

On reflection, I'm also going to repeat this info in a new thread of its own. It's important enough.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

KarenS some are also concerned because those that have been tested as negative are having it again with worse symptoms. I wish that there were more discussion of how long it lasts with graphic videos although some would never believe they are not staged.

1 Like Save    
dadoes

Lies? Hoax? Fake News? Blame?

My patient caught COVID-19 twice.

1 Like Save    
Marigold

Karen, there is an illness called myalgic encephalomyelitis, and my fear is that those long haulers may end up with the disease. It usually happens as a result of a viral ilness, but it seems to be more common with Covid (although that is just my impression- I have no data). 25% of the patients are house or bedbound. The personal and economic impact of that is really frightening

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Don't count on it anymore. Pandora's box is open; we know the death rate is lower and getting lower, and won't allow the left to overtake our great country by using this insidious virus the Chinese let loose and intentionally lied about to ruin our lives and futures.

So true, and the WHO was right there to support this horrific act.

Save    
jmm1837

So completely false. Funny though, that, in the face of a pandemic, other countries developed policies to combat the disease, and the citizens of those countries worked together to control it, while in the US the individual rights crowd fought off closures, masks and social distancing. I guess you all forgot about asking what is good for your country in the rush to get haircuts and go to the beach.

7 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Sure, it's external counties and orgs that are to blame for the increasing spread of Covid-19 here. The argument that it's their fault makes it seem the USA is weak and unable to figure this out on our own.

And that means all those big economy countries of Europe are not as feeble as we are.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Pandora's box is open; we know the death rate is lower and getting lower

Since the death rate is a lagging indicator, we will not know if the rate will be lower for this current surge.

We do know that this surge is putting a strain on hospitals and ICUs, healthcare workers, PPE supplies, and this benefits no one.

Plus the insidious after effects of Covis-19 are just beginning to be noticed, and there's no need for more disabled individuals when contagion can be avoided by persons acting together to prevent the spread.

2 Likes Save    

The death rate is a lagging indicator meaning that deaths from July 4 new cases won't show up until August. I don't see how we are going to get to the second wave if we can't even get out of the first one.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
adoptedbyhounds

"I thought it was a hoax."

Thought what was a hoax?

Save    
graywings123(7)

^^^^^ Um, the guy is dead, so it's too late to ask him what he meant.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

Hay:

"Where did they get such an idea?

People like you?"

vgkg:

"Since you placed a question mark at the end Hay I'll answer - Nope!"

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

I also answered the question. It was pretty easy and clear. Did you miss that?

Do you ever wonder who they're talking about when they talk about the problem of misinformation being spread around on social media?

Hay

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

dandyfopp:

Five minutes after I pointed out the "factcheck":

"There are a lot of dumb people in this country and a lot of people are just trying to survive. When a crisis happens and the POTUS says it is a hoax..."

(My bolding---Hay)

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Do you ever wonder who they're talking about when they talk about the problem of misinformation being spread around on social media?

Hay

1 Like Save    
KarenS, NYC

I don't get the point of repeating something verbatim for a 2nd time (or more). It doesn't make any more clear, comprehensible or true.

2 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

Got your attention, though.

Many, many people do best learning by rote.

For many, many people, you need to keep pounding it in their heads just to make a dent.

You want to answer my question?

You seem to have skipped over that part.

Maybe you missed it:

Hay

1 Like Save    
sjerin

Don't forget about spreading fear, jmm. That's an important element in the message.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Yes, misinformation is provided by Trump nearly daily - and most of his supporters active on social media repeat his misinformation.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I go by the person who has mentioned the word "hoax" more than anyone else in the country when he gets upset about anything, and we all know who that is.....toss in "coup" and "witch hunt" as bonus words.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

"For many, many people, you need to keep pounding it in their heads just to make a dent."

For some, you need a stick of dynamite just to wake them up.

Hay

Save    
maifleur03

Today I keep thinking of my reading about the "sweating sickness" and how people who developed it apparently only a few developed any immunity.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"""^^^^^ Um, the guy is dead, so it's too late to ask him what he meant."

Not in dispute. Hoping someone here can enlighten me. I read the article but didn't see any reference to what "It" (the hoax) referred to.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

According to the headline, "it" refers to "the virus." The coronavirus/COVID-19 was thought to be a hoax.

That is what I took it to mean--but maybe I was influenced by the headline--which was the writer's interpretation.

Why do you ask? How else could it be interpreted?

Kate

Save    
Gizmo

Stan Areted

It's one person.

I don't see any concern for the approximately 46 people murdered
every day (no doubt much more considering skyrocketing murder rates in
democrat run cities) or the concern when a 30 year old in a group of
between 29,000 and 59,000 has died from the flu in the US.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

138,000=+ people are dead--and countless others are ill/permanently ill in a Republicon run country

Unlike random murders throughout the land, at least those Democratic mayors are trying to stop it - you can't say Trump is doing everything in his power to combat CV-19.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

"I thought this was a hoax" is confusing people? Coming from a man lying in a hospital bed dying of a Covid_19 infection we cant just assume he is talking about Covid-19? He didn't have a chance to do it in facebook meme form I guess.

Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)

Don't know if anyone is interested but here is a link to an article about the research that says that protests did not cause the spike. Within the article is a link to the study which is interesting. Link

1 Like Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
mudhouse

Here's an article with some updated information about this story. It's written by the same author that wrote the article that debunked the Covid party story in Alabama.

The Latest Covid Party Story Gets a Twist
https://www.wired.com/story/the-latest-covid-party-story-gets-a-twist/

...The Texas story is more of the same. A patient—who is now dead, and thus can’t confirm the story—supposedly told a nurse, who told others at the hospital. In her video, Appleby, the health director, doesn’t claim otherwise; she says she “heard a heartbreaking story this week.”

...News organizations, including The New York Times, have reported the story without trying to get to the bottom of it, or even finding out basic information such as where or when the alleged party took place.

...In the meantime, the San Antonio Express-News reported that the city’s Metropolitan Health District “had not heard of such parties taking place in the Alamo City.”

When I reached out to the hospital for comment, communications director Cheri Love-Moceri told me that Appleby wasn’t available and had “shared all that she is able to regarding this patient.”

She also said the hospital couldn’t share the name of the nurse who reported the death bed confession.

Like any urban legend, the Covid party narrative changes slightly with each telling. Until this latest iteration, the events have almost always been described—or imagined—as if they were analogous to the “pox parties” of old, where people tried to catch a virus, and become immune, so as to “get it over with.”

...None of this is meant to suggest that public officials are lying. Stories inevitably mutate as they’re passed from one person to another. Nor should anyone make light of a tragic, untimely death. People like Jane Appleby are trying desperately to get the American public to take the coronavirus seriously. If she hears a perfect cautionary tale, it isn’t necessarily her responsibility to investigate whether it’s too perfect before passing it along.

It is, however, precisely the job of reporters, who continue to fail at it with each bout of Covid party coverage. Hundreds of stories have been published on the subject, yet I haven’t found a single example of someone telling a reporter that they personally attended or witnessed a Covid party. No Instagram posts, no cell phone videos, no screenshots of party invitations.

Does this mean Covid parties are—gulp—a hoax? Not necessarily. You can’t prove a negative; proof may yet emerge. But until it does, reporters and editors are passing along an unsubstantiated rumor without proper due diligence. It’s hard enough to get Americans to accept the undisputed facts of the pandemic, which are plenty bad on their own. At a time when the public is dangerously distrustful of both the media and science, pushing a sensational story with no firm evidence probably won’t help.

1 Like Save    
elvis

^^^Exactly! Many "reporters" are like kids around the campfire telling scary stories.

With a megaphone.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Pets So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Most Popular 9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story
Life 5 Things to Think About Before Adding an In-Law Suite
Multigenerational households are on the rise, but there’s a lot to consider when dreaming up a new space for mom or dad
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Pristine Acres is committed to offering the highest-quality, most professional landscape design/installation... Read More