St. Louis Cops Seize Gun That Couple Pointed At BLM Protesters

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Remember the armed couple pointing guns at the peaceful protesters walking down the street in front of their palatial home?

Here is some follow-up.

------------------

"St. Louis police on Friday executed a search warrant at the home of a local lawyer and seized a semiautomatic AR-15 rifle that he pointed at Black Lives Matter protesters last month, according to media reports.

Mark McCloskey, and his wife, Patricia McCloskey, who work together as personal injury attorneys, were captured on video brandishing guns as demonstrators walked past their palatial home on June 28. While critics called for their arrest, the two were embraced as heroes by gun lovers after the video went viral.

“We complied with the search warrant. They took my AR,” Mark McCloskey told the conservative Todd Starnes radio show. “I’m absolutely surprised by this.”

The couple told police Friday that the pistol Patricia McCloskey brandished was with their lawyer, sources told NBC affiliate KSDK-TV.

[. . .]

No charges had been filed against the couple as of Friday night.

Mark McCloskey claimed he and his wife grabbed their guns during the protest because they were afraid for their lives from the “angry mob who came through my gate.” . . .

But video of the protest that went viral shows protesters slowly sauntering past the couple on the sidewalk and not confronting them.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Friday that the McCloskeys have a reputation as obnoxious neighbors who have “nearly constantly sued other people and ordered people off their property.”

https://news.yahoo.com/mark-mccloskey-st-louis-guns-black-lives-matter-064909928.html

-----------------------

I'm beginning to think that a lot of those 2nd Amendment types are actually slightly zonkers--which would explain how come they continually feel threatened when no one else can see anything to be threatened by!

Don't know what law they might have broken, but I hope the police can at least charge them with some token violation, if nothing else.

Kate

SaveComment25Like2
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bleusblue2

The video also shows that the protesters did not break the gate in order to enter. They weren't on the street to attack the McCloskeys. They were on their way to protest in front of the Mayor's house.

Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
blfenton

I'm beginning to think that a lot of those 2nd Amendment types are actually slightly zonkers--which would explain how come they continually feel threatened when no one else can see anything to be threatened by - Kate

I agree. I don't understand how people can be so afraid of their neighbours or just assume that anyone walking in their neighbourhood or by their house is automatically the enemy.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
Ziemia(6a)

Maybe the gun seizure got their attention.

Save    
queenmargo

I guess you must have missed all the news of the shootings and lootings in Saint Louis. They live very near the area where David Dorn was shot while he was trying to protect the store from looters. He was a black retired cop and shot by a black thug looting. The crime rate here is HIGH< why don't you come for a late night walk and see how it goes.

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Cute. I don't like the local mask policy.

Do you care about the crime, margo? What is the legislature and governor doing? State policy has an outsized influence on what happens in urban cities.

Save    
queenmargo

Last night the instigators came to Kirkwood which is near my home in the suburbs of Saint Louis. They shot off copious amounts for fireworks at 3:17 in the morning just to strut their arrogance.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I stay away from the city.

Aren't cities run by mayors? It is a Dem run city.

3 Likes Save    
maifleur03

The governor is busy signing orders that the CARE money that was supposed to go to hospitals is diverted to broadband extension. Reasoning medical care needs expanded access. Then yesterday or today, his fb often is a day late posting, he diverted more for the same issue. Missouri legislature is not in session and has not been since May.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

States control housing and banking and insurance policies and often greatly influence school funding and Medicaid spending - the list goes on and on and on. Some of the policies were set decades ago.

Save    
elvis

queenmargo

I guess you must have missed all the news of the shootings and lootings in Saint Louis. They live very near the area where David Dorn was shot while he was trying to protect the store from looters. He was a black retired cop and shot by a black thug looting. The crime rate here is HIGH< why don't you come for a late night walk and see how it goes.

I visited my cousins (who still live there) when I was a teen, but it was much safer then. St. Louis has the highest violent crime rate (per 100,000 people) of any city in the US. I don't plan go back! Move away from there, Queen!

4 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"The video also shows that the protesters did not break the gate in order to enter. They weren't on the street to attack the McCloskeys. They were on their way to protest in front of the Mayor's house."

Why did they trespass? Oh, wait. They were trespassing on their way to try to intimidate the mayor. Sending a friendly "we know where you live" message.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

It doesn't matter about the gate. That area is private property and they were trespassing. These "peaceful protesters" have no boundaries. They think they are above the law.

3 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

If white privilege is the antithesis of the BLM protests where better to demonstrate against it?

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Some say pedestrians were always welcome.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Some say pedestrians are not welcome. How about we go by the law?

Save    
maifleur03

It will be interesting to see if the gun that was taken had been used in a crime either known or unknown by the couple. In most circumstances that gun would never have been seized and if it was because of their made for tv moment both guns would have been taken. Some attorneys in the area of law that they practice demand a small up front fee. I could see them accepting various things including a gun for that fee.

In case you are wondering the police would have asked for and taken for their records the serial number of the gun.

Save    
mudhouse

The video also shows that the protesters did not break the gate in order to enter. They weren't on the street to attack the McCloskeys. They were on their way to protest in front of the Mayor's house.

The video I saw didn't show the moment the gate was destroyed, but this was the end result:

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

UPDATE:

More info. available--and the armed Bonnie and Clyde couple are telling a somewhat different story now.

And so are their neighbors.

-----------------------------

"The St. Louis couple who threatened Black Lives Matter protesters with guns once made children cry after destroying their bee hives

The McCloskeys have been receiving more and more attention since they first went viral at the end of June for brandishing their guns at Black Lives Matter protesters who marched down their street — even the President retweeted a video of the couple.

They claim they support Black Lives Matter, and instead blamed the actions of a few agitators for their fear. "The Black Lives Matters movement is here to stay, its the right message, and it is about time," Albert Watkins, their attorney, said in a statement.

"The McCloskeys want to make sure no one thinks less of BLM, its message and the means it is employing to get its message out because of the actions of a few white individuals who tarnished a peaceful protest."

A prosecutor is currently investigating if the McCloskeys broke state law. As Insider previously reported, Missouri law says a person "commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons" if "he or she knowingly exhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner."

An investigation done by the St. Louis Dispatch-Post revealed that the McCloskeys have a long history of legal action, conflicts with their neighbors, and even threatened to obtain a restraining order against the Jewish synagogue next door.

The article explains that, in 2013, the Jewish Central Reform Congregation constructed beehives just outside the McCloskey's mansion's northern wall. Their plan was to harvest the honey with the congregation's children to partake in the traditional Rosh Hashanah tradition of eating apples and honey to ensure a "sweet new year."

However, these plans were ruined when Mark McCloskey destroyed the beehives and left a note stating, among other things, that the "structure constitutes a trespass," and threatened that, if the beehives were cleaned up, "a restraining order will be obtained, and we will seek damages and attorneys' fees."

"The children were crying in school," Rabbi Susan Talve told the Dispatch. "It was part of our curriculum."

The McCloskeys have also had various confrontations with other neighbors. Patricia was impeached from the neighborhood's trustee association in 1992 when the other trustees accused her of being homophobic. She was fighting to enforce a rule that prohibited unmarried couples from moving into Portland Place — her husband claimed it wasn't about gay couples, just any unmarried couple.

"They've always been part of the problem, never part of the solution," said one neighbor, Robert Dolgin."

https://news.yahoo.com/st-louis-couple-threatened-black-171108171.html

-----------------

Never would have thought they were big BLM supporters, given the videos we have all been watching. Would you have? /s

Sounds like most of their neighbors might have preferred to have the protesters drive off the troublesome McCloskeys!

Kate

4 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Deflection from Second Amendment rights and failure to charge law breakers.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

But charges are still pending:

". . . prosecutor is currently investigating if the McCloskeys broke state law. As Insider previously reported, Missouri law says a person "commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons" if "he or she knowingly exhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner."

The McCloskeys looked rather threatening in those videos--to me at least.

Kate

3 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Love how peaceful protestors need to follow the law but it is okay when the Fearless Leader breaks the law.

1 Like Save    
HU-274840647

The State law does not Conflict with the 2nd amendment, you can own a gun just don’t wave it about angrily

Save    
paprikash

They didn’t look threatening to me — they looked determined to defend themselves against an unpredictable mob.

Save    
studio10001

Trick or treaters must scare the crap out of them.

3 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

In the very beginning I believed their report of feeling fearful. I don't now and not just because of the beehives -- the people were passing by their house. The broken gate was apparently vandalized by somebody in the crowd. It was a crowd on the way to the mayor's house and I do NOT believe that those two brandishing their guns prevented any mayhem. There are people like that everywhere -- in ghettos and in elite neighborhoods. They apparently do not represent their neighbourhood!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Man Spaces Why Men Really Do Need a Cave
Don't dismiss cars, bars and the kegerator — a man space of some kind is important for emotional well-being at home
Full Story
Most Popular 4 Obstacles to Decluttering — and How to Beat Them
Letting go can be hard, but it puts you more in control of your home's stuff and style. See if any of these notions are holding you back
Full Story
Decluttering Escape the Inheritance Trap: What to Do With Sentimental Pieces
Too meaningful to toss but too hideous, precious or unusual to display? These ideas can help
Full Story