Man in Hate Crime Killing Targeted Biker Because He Was White

elvis

It looks like the racial hysteria is getting even more deadly. What a shame. That said, I suppose some will celebrate one less cop and one less white man on the planet.

FOND DU LAC COUNTY, Wis. (WBAY/Gray News) - A Fond du Lac man charged in a homicide hate crime said he intentionally swerved his truck into a motorcyclist because he believed Harley riders to be “white racists,” according to information released by the county sheriff Thursday.

Daniel Navarro, 27, is being held on a $1 million bond on charges of first degree intentional homicide - hate crime - use of a dangerous weapon and first degree recklessly endangering safety - hate crime. He made his initial court appearance in Fond du Lac County Thursday.

The victim was identified as Phillip A. Thiessen, 55. Thiessen, a 1983 graduate of L.P. Goodrich High School, was a Marine and later a police officer in Fairfax, Va. Later, Thiessen worked for the Wisconsin Department of Justice Internet Crimes Against Children unit. He had retired and was living in Fond du Lac.

“Phillip was a generous, caring, loyal man that made friends easily anywhere he went, and maintained long-distance friendships for many years. He believed in giving back to his community and was a volunteer at the Fondy Food Pantry,” reads the obituary.

The crash happened July 3, at about 6:47 p.m. Sheriff Ryan Waldschmidt said Navarro was driving a pickup truck when he swerved into the path of an oncoming motorcycle. Navarro’s truck hit Thiessen’s motorcycle head on. Thiessen was found dead in the road. Navarro’s truck went off the road and hit a pole. He was not hurt.

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/07/10/sheriff-man-hate-crime-killing-said-he-targeted-biker-because-he-was-white/

SaveComment22Like
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wildchild2x2

So a white guy intentionally murders another white guy on behalf of blacks because he wants to go to prison. He's just a mental case. There was no hate crime other than the one in his head. Be interesting how he gets treated in prison by those he claims to be out SJWing for.

1 Like Save     Thanked by elvis
paprikash

The killer is Hispanic. Serious mental issues I presume

Marigold

I agree, paprikash. The article said "...They said Navarro claimed he was being poisoned by co-workers and neighbors. He claimed white people make racist comments to him because he’s Hispanic...."
I would suspect he is psychotic.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
mudhouse

What a terrible story. Among other things, I think it says a lot about how the country needs to find a way to focus more attention and resources towards providing assistance for serious mental health issues.

During an interview later at the sheriff's office, Navarro said he wanted to go to prison for the rest of his life so he could be free from his neighbors, who he could hear making racist comments through the walls of his house, according to the complaint. It also stated that he said he wanted to be free from people who drive by his house, rev their engines and squeal their tires to make him angry.

...The complaint also said a detective reviewed law enforcement records and learned of a 2019 disorderly conduct domestic violence allegation involving Navarro in the City of Fond du Lac. Officers attempted to have a 72-hour mental health hold placed on Navarro but the request was denied by the crisis hotline, the document said.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime-and-courts/mexican-american-man-charged-with-hate-crime-in-fatal-crash-in-wisconsin/article_dd8e9699-bff5-5b40-83eb-77e30c826887.html

It would be great if we could focus on the lack of mental health resources, which has been a serious problem for a long time, instead of arguing over whether or not Mount Rushmore is racist.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
daisychain01

I’m not sure who you are hanging out with but I’ve never heard anyone celebrate about police or white men being killed. I have heard people say they aren’t happy about police actions or racist actions by white men but assuming they want to see them dead or celebrating their deaths seems like putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. But maybe you hang in different circles than I do.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

“It would be great if we could focus on the lack of mental health resources”

Like proponents of defunding the police want?

Or maybe we’ll just raise taxes to pay for it!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
elvis

That said, I suppose some will celebrate one less cop and one less white man on the planet.

Daisy, no one I know would celebrate that^^^, but I've been watching the lawlessness on TV and hearing/reading the hateful rhetoric that has accompanied the unrest. I based my observation on that. Thanks for paying attention.

1 Like Save    

Been watching too much Sons of Anarchy maybe.

(though the Sons seem to be decidedly un-racist, despite using the racism of others to their advantage.)

1 Like Save    
elvis

I never watched that show, lindsey. Sounds like you watch it, though. Is it like Walking Dead?

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Elvis, you sound pleased.

Save    
mudhouse

Like proponents of defunding the police want?

Miss Lindsey, personally I have no problem with suggestions about having social workers accompany police on appropriate calls. I think one problem is families (or citizens) may not call for help until a situation becomes violent, and at that point it's beyond the capability of a social worker alone to handle. But I'm still open to the idea of a role for social workers in some situations.

But many communities are lacking adequate mental health professionals and mental health facilities to care for the people a social worker might interact with on a call. After the first interaction, those social workers need a back up of adequate resources to provide real, long-term help for the individual (and often that individual's family.)

That's a separate issue and much bigger problem, and it won't be resolved by redistributing police funding. If you haven't ever had the experience of having a family member need mental health care, and being told by your primary care doctor that there are frankly no good professionals in your city to refer you to, you're fortunate. And if you haven't ever had to fight for attention from a medical facility for help with a family member's mental health issues, you're fortunate a second time.

If Navarro deliberately killed a stranger, so he could to be put in prison to escape from racist voices, he needs a lot more than a social worker on a police call. And my fear is, our unwillingness to catch people like Navarro before they take this kind of horrific action is a failure on our part...because we turn away from problems that are hard to solve, and that require big commitments.

wildchild2x2

Navarro is usually a Spanish or Italian surname. While people from Spain fit into the Hispanic category if they wish they generally identify as white Europeans. At least that has been my experience all the way back in school and with current Spanish friends.

Save     Thanked by elvis

“I think one problem is families (or citizens) may not call for help until a situation becomes violent, and at that point it's beyond the capability of a social worker alone to handle.”

However, if they did not need to overcome the psychological stigma or very real fear that goes with calling the police, might they be more inclined to seek help sooner?

Save     Thanked by elvis

(I watched about 40 seconds of Walking Dead to realize it was not the show for me. I’m not keen on suspense. Sons of Anarchy is gruesome at times in almost a comic book way. I think I would describe it as seeming to have been written by an overwrought 19 year old male. Husband liked it. I didn’t mind when he watched a few episodes without me or I fell asleep halfway through an episode, and I lost very little plot in those circumstances too. I’d give it 3.5/5 stars.)

mudhouse

However, if they did not need to overcome the psychological stigma or very real fear that goes with calling the police, might they be more inclined to seek help sooner?

I'm not sure (?) if you're implying that people calling the police have a "very real fear" because they're afraid the police will cause them harm...if so, I disagree.

There may be a stigma against admitting a family member is so out of control that the police are needed for safety (of the ill person, or of family.) Personally, I don't think that's the main reason people don't seek help earlier. I think they don't seek help earlier because in too many cases there's nobody effective to call. It's been my experience, and I've read that over and over from others across the country.

If we had a more robust system in place for mental health, with more mental health professionals across the country in more communities, and a general understanding that it was important, people might have a better way to get help sooner.

In my city (second largest in the state) the best you get is an appointment with an overworked professional who relegates patient appointments to social workers. The doctor reviews records of patients, but you don't meet the doctor. The appointments are monthly, unless you yell your head off. Even then, an hour long appointment is often reduced to less than half that time, because the office is poorly run and nobody keeps to a schedule. After an ineffective 30 minutes of sympathetic talk, and no medication discussions (because they're not doctors) you get to make an appointment for next month. For medications, you make a different monthly appointment with another person that will discuss medications with the doctor you never get to meet. Same drill; those appointments are also late or truncated, and you have to spend the first 15 minutes reminding them of your family member's history to get them up to speed. Then they say they'll talk to the doctor, and see you next month. That's mental health care in my community. I'm extremely proactive, and aggressively researched all the options I could find. One primary care doctor told me the best way to get mental health care for my family member was frankly to go out of state.

So, I don't support taking money away from police departments to fund social worker programs.

First, defunding the police works against the goals of providing more rigorous training and better qualified police recruits. Second, without a more serious commitment to mental health solutions, sending a social worker on a call is mostly feel-good window dressing. It may deal with the problem on a Tuesday afternoon for a few hours, but it doesn't do anything to improve the long term problem. As a result, mentally ill people like Navarro are more likely to reach a critical point and harm or kill innocent people like Thiessen.

heri_cles

Elvis:

How many black people live in your City/municipality?

In your County?

Save    
mudhouse

Since I managed to pull the conversation to Navarro, and away from the man who was killed, Phillip Thiessen, here's a Facebook post put up by the Fairfax, VA police department. Thiessen served as a Marine, and was then a police officer with the department for 26 years. After retiring from the police, he served as a special agent with the Wisconsin Dept of Justice.

The heartfelt comments from those who knew him say a lot about the kind of person he was.

https://www.facebook.com/CityOfFairfaxPoliceDepartment/posts/2927665837341872

elvis

wildchild2x2

Navarro is usually a Spanish or Italian surname. While people from Spain fit into the Hispanic category if they wish they generally identify as white Europeans. At least that has been my experience all the way back in school and with current Spanish friends.

So I looked him up.

This undated photo provided by the Fond du Lac County, Wis., Sheriff's Office, shows Daniel Navarro, a Mexican American man from Wisconsin charged with homicide as a hate crime because prosecutors say he intentionally crashed his pickup truck into a motorcyclist and killed the man because he was white

Save    
mudhouse

I never watched Sons of Anarchy, but I loved The Walking Dead. I've gotten out of touch with it in recent months, since the world went crazy; not even sure which (if any) of the various Walking Dead spin offs are airing. Need to hunt it down and get my zombie fix. To me it's a lot more about human nature and survival battles than zombies, though. They're just props, poor things.

Gizmo

wildchild2x2

Navarro is usually a Spanish or Italian surname. While people from
Spain fit into the Hispanic category if they wish they generally
identify as white Europeans. At least that has been my experience all
the way back in school and with current Spanish friends.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trump's Navarro:

Save    

The conversation has moved on a bit but there is certainly a stigma around “calling the cops” for any reason, at least in my experience. It isn’t necessarily something you would want to do with regard to a family member who needs mental health support, and it is even less likely that the person who needs the support would willingly accept such help.

If the help was easily available *outside* policing as mudhouse suggested above too, the intervention can happen much sooner in a potential episode and violence might be avoided altogether.

If police are no longer being called into as high a number of violent mental health episodes, the money directed toward their (dubious) training in that area, salaries, equipment, etc could be directed elsewhere.

1 Like Save    
heri_cles

Thanks but no thanks for another self-serving mugshot, this time of a mentally ill man. There is no way this man should have been charged with a racial hate crime and his image should not be used to promote anyone's racial agenda.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design How to Keep Your White Kitchen White
Sure, white kitchens are beautiful — when they’re sparkling clean. Here’s how to keep them that way
Full Story
Midcentury Style Follow One Man’s Midcentury-Mailbox Dream
An ill-fitting mailbox leads a determined dad on a quest — and possibly to a new business
Full Story
Decorating Guides Room of the Day: Black, White and Red All Over
Custom fabric, heirlooms, bold color and a beloved collection of books cozy up this farmhouse library
Full Story