Another call the cops, but police do not respond, good for them!

tryingtounderstand

Video included in the link.

Ottawa police are apologizing to a 21-year-old Black man and his family after a woman called 911 on him for refusing to move from a public bridge.Ntwali Bashizi rides his bike on Stonebridge Trail in Barrhaven a few times a week.He often plans to stop on a small bridge to rest and take in the surrounding scenery. He did this on Monday afternoon, pulling over to the side of the bridge, listening to music on his Beats headphones as he rested.Bashizi looked over his shoulder to see a white woman on the trail, but not on the bridge. The woman would later call 911 — an emergency line — to report him. And police would offer a frank apology for how they would handle it.“I see a woman approach and I notice that she hasn’t walked by me,” Bashizi told this newspaper. “So I look in her direction because I find it odd that she hasn’t walked by and I notice that she’s talking to me.”He turned off his music and said she told him that she was waiting for him to move so she could cross the bridge — presumably to adhere to physical distancing guidelines to stay six feet away from other people. She asked him to get off the bridge. Bashizi looked at the bridge, which he said is the same width as the trail, which was being used by others, and said he told the woman there was enough space for her to pass.

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

“She then gets mad with me. I tell her I’m not getting off the bridge, she can go ahead and walk by. She calls me a jackass so then I leave her alone and then just play my music,” he said.Bashizi said the woman pulled out her phone and, he believes, started taking photos of him. That’s when he pulled out his phone.In videos posted to social media, the woman is seen on the phone, standing on the trail while Bashizi is on the bridge filming her.“I have all day,” he says in the video.The woman is seen holding the phone to her ear for minutes, but no audio is heard of that conversation. She moves in and out of the surrounding bushes while holding the phone to her ear.

This newspaper has not independently identified the woman, nor has it heard her account of the incident.At some point on the video she can be heard explaining the width of the bridge to the person on the other end of the line and she’s mentioned this to the man on the bridge.“Stay there. You’ll see, somebody’s coming,” she says to Bashizi after thanking the person on the phone and ending the call.“You called the cops?” he yells over. “You’re right I did,” she says.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawa-police-apologize-to-black-man-who-had-woman-call-911-on-him-for-standing-on-a-bridge/wcm/2fb1a6a7-7ac9-4622-9793-b13af47e8303/

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dandyfopp

The police should have shown up long enough to cite her for abusing the emergency system.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

^^No kidding. They came on thanksgiving to give our nephews a talking to for calling 911 frivolously.

Apparently this woman never got that talk when she was 7 so she’s getting it now.

Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
lurker111

I’m trying to figure out what they are apologizing for. Is this a Canadian apology—ie I know I did nothing wrong but I feel bad that you’re upset—or was there truly a misstep? Maybe the operator was not authorized to suggest he move?

1 Like Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
elvis

I wonder how wide the bridge is. When I'm grocery shopping, if there's someone in the aisle that I need, I stand and wait till they leave. I haven't needed to ask them to move along, yet. It's easy to be patient at 6 a.m. when there are only half a dozen people in the whole store!

If the woman was nervous about keeping her physical distance, she should have waited till the man was done standing around. Surely he wouldn't have made her wait too long.

She shouldn't have made a frivolous 911 call. You can get penalized for that, it's a Class H felony in Wisconsin.

mrskjun(9)

If I had been him I would have stayed there all day!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand

The bridge is the same width as the trail. She could reasonably expect to walk around anyone going more slowly than her, and to be passed by anyone moving more quickly. Even if he got off the bridge for her, she would still have to walk around him on the other side since he wasn’t ready to continue on.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
Ziemia(6a)

The rule of thumb around here is 6 ft apart. Maybe the bridge is 8 ft wide? When saying the bridge is wide as the trail - that width includes the grassy parts off the gravel track?

She was way off base. He could have been kinder. He had no obligation to move.

terezosa / terriks

Am I the only one who can't stand to watch those stupid iPhone videos with the blurry side panels?

tryingtounderstand

The bridge is quite wide, other folk passed by him without breaking the 6’ distancing. The video is long, but it is shown.

I too would have stayed all day long, lol. Yeah, miss Lindsay, Canadian s apologize constantly. Have you ever bumped into a chair or table and said “I’m sorry”

3 Likes Save    

Lol no ttu, but I have given the wrong change to a customer, realized it and corrected it, and had them tell me “I’m sorry!”

foodonastump

Canadians....

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Gotta love 'em!

Kate

Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

Social distancing is much more important when you are indoors, and if you move quickly past someone while outdoors, there is little risk.

I don't know why some people get in such a hurry on a hiking path. I like to stop and smell the roses myself. If the woman had been more patient, he probably would have moved on in a short enough amount of time.

He was being obstinate, but she was being rude.

I also hate those vertical videos. Is it not possible to take horizontal videos with an iPhone?

socks(10a)

"Thank you, Karen." WOW, lol. The birdwatcher of Central Park has given POC strength and courage. As best I could tell, he didn't have on a mask, but I believe Karen was masked. This is reminiscent of Black people having to step off the sidewalk so the white people could pass.

If someone is first in a space where I want to be, I just wait.

I know about the vertical videos. Why?

terezosa / terriks

I also hate those vertical videos. Is it not possible to take horizontal videos with an iPhone?

Yes, just turn the phone sideways. 😊

I don't mind the vertical aspect. It's the blurry side bars that are so distracting. My Android phone doesn't do that.

foodonastump

It’s not the phone that does it, the news organization does it to fit TV format. If you’re watching on your phone just click on it to watch full screen in the original intended aspect.

Save    
steve2416

When I'm jogging I pass others on the trail but when walking they often pass me. No harm, no foul.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping What's That Sound? 9 Home Noises and How to Fix Them
Bumps and thumps might be driving you crazy, but they also might mean big trouble. We give you the lowdown and which pro to call for help
Full Story
Summer Gardening Houzz Call: Please Show Us Your Summer Garden!
Share pictures of your home and yard this summer — we’d love to feature them in an upcoming story
Full Story
Decorating Guides Decorating Master Class: 10 Common Mistakes and How to Fix Them
Turn your styling errors into successes with these solutions — and the help of a good designer
Full Story
Full service Design/ Build firm with over 15 years experience in kitchens, bathrooms, interior design, furniture,... Read More