How the Catholic Church won $1.4B in corona virus aid

kadefol

Interesting, I had no idea they were eligible, even by loophole.

The U.S. Roman Catholic Church used a special and unprecedented exemption from federal rules to amass at least $1.4 billion in taxpayer-backed coronavirus aid, with many millions going to dioceses that have paid huge settlements or sought bankruptcy protection because of clergy sexual abuse cover-ups.

The church’s haul may have reached -- or even exceeded -- $3.5 billion, making a global religious institution with more than a billion followers among the biggest winners in the U.S. government’s pandemic relief efforts, an Associated Press analysis of federal data released this week found.

Houses of worship and faith-based organizations that promote religious beliefs aren’t usually eligible for money from the U.S. Small Business Administration. But as the economy plummeted and jobless rates soared, Congress let faith groups and other nonprofits tap into the Paycheck Protection Program, a $659 billion fund created to keep Main Street open and Americans employed. https://tucson.com/news/national/coronavirus-update-how-the-catholic-church-won-1-4b-in-virus-aid-starbucks-to-require/article_aeeff15a-600e-5c93-8cf2-2d478f1a40bd.html

SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kathy

I did see Local churches on the list. They are classified as profession organizations. Who knew?

Save     Thanked by kadefol
chisue

Front page on the Chicago Tribune tonight. Disgusting. Why are taxpayers paying for this filthy mess?

2 Likes Save     Thanked by kadefol
shead

Planned Parenthood received $80 million in loans, in clear violation of the rules governing the loans.

I'm not sure why you're so upset.

Kathy

80M For PP versus 1-4B. For Catholic Churches.

It’s debatable whether PP was eligible. It’s a handful of Republicans that say they weren’t.

Like many other local nonprofits and health care providers, some independent Planned Parenthood 501(c)(3) organizations applied for and were awarded loans under the eligibility rules established by the CARES Act and the Small Business Administration (SBA), which they met,” said the Planned Parenthood Federation of America’s vice president of government relations and public policy, Jacqueline Ayers, in a statement.

“This is a clear political attack on Planned Parenthood health centers and access to reproductive health care,” Ayers also said. “It has nothing to do with Planned Parenthood health care organizations’ eligibility for COVID-19 relief efforts, and everything to do with the Trump administration using a public health crisis to advance a political agenda and distract from their own failures in protecting the American public from the spread of COVID-19.”

shead

Well, were any PP denied what they asked for? If they asked for $80M, that's what they got. Catholic parishes, for all intents and purposes, are individual houses of worship just as the numerous PP clinics around the country are individual entities. They were eligible, they applied, they received just like all other businesses did. It doesn't matter WHAT the organization or company does, IF they are eligible and applied, they got the funds.

The full list of who received is here:

https://sba.app.box.com/s/tvb0v5i57oa8gc6b5dcm9cyw7y2ms6pp

I'm sure if we analyzed the nature of every company listed on there, we'd all find a LOT of objectionable businesses. However, we are not the determiners of who receives the funds. The employees working at any religious house of worship around the country deserved to get paid just like all other employees did. Remember what the purpose of the loan was for: to pay employees! If the money wasn't spent on wages, it wasn't forgivable and must be paid back.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by kadefol
olychick

Deplorable.

zmith

Churches are businesses and should pay taxes.

1 Like Save     Thanked by kadefol
shead

Churches are businesses and should pay taxes.

Churches DO pay payroll taxes. What's your point?

Taxes only apply to the net income from a business. If we change the rules of taxation on ALL charities, the net effect will still be the same because x dollars in and x dollars out equals zero net income which equals no taxes.

It really boils down to you're wanting to punish the employees because you disagree with the mission of the organization they are employed by. In all states that had mandatory shutdowns, PP's were exempt from shutdown because they were deemed "essential." Churches, however, were not, and their revenues dwindled significantly. PP therefore shouldn't have been asking for the money because they were "business as usual."

And to me, it's neither here nor there whether PP got money or not and I only use it as an example because I vehemently disagree with the necessity and mission of them. If their application fell within the rules, it should have been approved. If not, then not.

elvis

Good posts, Shead. I too was thinking payroll.

chisue

Let's face it. This is a slush fund. Up for grabs. Where can you get a 1% loan -- or a free one if you claim you're using it for payroll? We'll never know where the total of 'small loans' went. The RC can cover the deficits from the predator lawsuits if they want...at 1%.

One of the recipients in the Chicago area was an extremely wealthy parish in Winnetka. No recent stats but 2010 had average home worth just under one million.

shead

If you’re upset by the rules that governed who got the loans, Congress is who you need to take issue with. There are many, many businesses who didn’t NEED the loans and had no significant loss of income due to Covid that applied and received it. Just look at the list that is the link I posted above.

Any personal feelings one may have towards the Catholic Church is irrelevant on this issue.

shead

And that said, there are MANY churches and faith based non-profits that received the funds, many of them located in wealthy areas. I’m not sure home values in an area really is part of this conversation, though 🤷‍♀️

chisue

One of the reasons cited by the churches is that they were unable to raise funds through the collection plate due to lockdowns. As for the priest predators and enormous settlements...not news.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Disaster Prep & Recovery Hurricane Harvey: How You Can Help
Want to donate or volunteer to aid victims of the storm? Here are groups assisting with disaster relief and recovery
Full Story
Houzz Call How Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story
Decluttering 10 Decluttering Projects You Can Do in 15 Minutes or Less
Try these ideas to get organized at home one small step at a time
Full Story