Trump boasts about his cognitive impairment test

deegw

If past experience holds true, that means he probably did not do well.

I actually took one when I, uh, very recently, when I was, uh, when I was — you know the radical left was saying, ‘Is he all there? Is he all there?’ And I proved I was all there ‘cause I aced it, I aced the test, and he should take the same exact test, a very standard test at Walter Reed Medical Center. I took it in front of doctors, and they were very surprised. They said, ‘That’s an unbelievable thing, very rarely do people do what you just did.’

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/trump-montreal-cognitive-assessment-dementia-test-surprised-impairment.html

SaveComment44Like
Comments (44)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

I saw that headline, too, but thought perhaps old news had made it onto the front page. It happens. So he had another cognitive test? Must be something going on, if they’re feeling the need for multiple tests?

ETA - clicked on the link and it looks like he’s still bragging about the old test, picking out rhino’s from dogs or whatever. I’m happy for him.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Rarely does Trump make me laugh, truly laugh, but when I heard the clip of this this morning I honestly could not stop laughing. I mean really laughing to the point of tears. The absurdity of his comments are mind blowing.

ETA ..wonder why it was administered

6 Likes Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

One sometimes has to laugh to keep from crying, but that does not always work.

8 Likes Save    
HU-274840647

Sarah Cooper has skit on offer, hilarious

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

He might still be all there, but since he has so little to begin with, there isn't much all to the all.

7 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Awesome

Save    
dandyfopp

MOST COGNITIVELY IMPAIRED EVER! BELIEVE ME! DOCTORS WERE SHOCKED!

6 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

And here are some comments about Trump's "brag"--from the same source above:

"Notably, the effect of this statement reduces rather than enhances confidence in the president’s cognitive abilities. He describes an event from two and a half years ago as “very recently,” rambles through his story, and reports doctors were “very surprised” that the test did not reveal any cognitive impairment.

Trump and his allies customarily assert he “aced” the test in 2018. The result does not, however, prove that Trump is a very stable genius.

The Montreal Cognitive Assessment, which Trump took, is an extremely simple test. As James Hamblin reported at the time, its questions include the likes of knowing the date and where you are, being able to say what a train and a bicycle have in common, and correctly identifying pictures of a lion, camel, rhinoceros, and so on.

It is not an accomplishment on the order of “winning Civil War” or “enacting major social legislation.”

Second, while Trump’s perfect score was reported as fact in 2018, there is at least some reason to question it. The source for the reports was White House physician Ronny Jackson.

[. . .]

Trump reportedly brought up his successful test result in an early June White House meeting. Trump “waxed on about how he’d dazzled the proctors with his stellar performance, according to two people familiar with his comments,” reported the Washington Post last month. “He walked the room of about two dozen White House and reelection officials through some of the questions he said he’d aced, such as being able to repeat five words in order.”

[. . .]

Trump 2020: As of 2018, He Wasn’t Suffering Dementia may not have quite the ring of the great historical reelection slogans. The fact that Trump seems so eager to emphasize the message might itself indicate something about his brain."

-------------------

You got to be kidding.

"“He walked the room . . . through some of the questions he said he’d aced, such as being able to repeat five words in order.”

Sounds like a grade-schooler at Thanksgiving bragging before company about passing a simple spelling test--and oh! so proud! of himself, all the while totally oblivious of the fact that everyone else in the room could do the same thing in grade school.

Kate

3 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

“Many people are saying that I am the first president to be elzhible for the 25th amendment. The 25th...they don’t just give that one to anybody. First president...you know ullyshus grant didn’t even get the 25th and he was a pretty big—general. He was pretty big. Many people don’t know that. And the black lives matter people they don’t want you to know that. They don’t want you to know...and the fake news.”

—Donald Trump, probably

11 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Poor Donnie is having a bad week, had to cancel his rally due to "weather"

8 Likes Save    
Gizmo

"I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested" - Sheldon Cooper

6 Likes Save    
Nana H

I have a theory on these bizarre comments from Trump. It is only a theory, no facts, no sources...it's totally supposition on my part.

Do you recall when he was taken to Walter Reid several months ago? Seemed unplanned and rather emergent given his doctor accompanied him. I'm thinking he had some sort of "spell", mini stroke, fainting, black out..something like that. As part of their checking his vitals etc they administered a cognitive test to see if there was any type of damage that way.

We will never know but I don't understand any other reason why the doctors would feel it necessary to check his cognitive abilities. Actually I do think there are many other reasons but none that he would go along with.

7 Likes Save    
zmith

Hmm. No sign of cognitive impairment? I think they meant no signs of cognitive function.

11 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Do you recall when he was taken to Walter Reid several months ago. Seemed unplanned and rather emergent given his doctor accompanied him. I'm thinking he had some sort of "spell", mini stroke, fainting, black out..something like that

.--

He might have put too much up his nose.

Noel Casler has mentioned before that Donnie got his fix from mobsters.

Pictured with Donnie, Chuck Zito.

https://twitter.com/CaslerNoel/status/1281638862020804608

Save    
blfenton

I'm surprised that he just didn't sharpie-away the path of Tropical Storm Faye.

@olychick - I laughed at the names of the animals.

Save    
dandyfopp

If the rally was set to be packed it wouldn't have been canceled.

Donnie can't take Tulsa part 2.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

It was set to be outdoors and the weather is forecast to be awful as the
tropical storm moves up the coast....benefit of the doubt on this one.

2 Likes Save    
Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

There is a new Sarah Cooper (How to Cognitive). Here is the address https://twitter.com/i/status/1281631729409822722

5 Likes Save    
barncatz

Thanks for the Sarah Cooper link and for the hysterical MOCA test. Of course now I just realized I can't remember all five words.

I just assumed he was wrong or lying when he said he took it "very recently". I'd forgotten about his midnight ride to Walter Reed.

ETA: dandy, listened to the weather guy. I bet you're right. It was supposed to be in a hangar, right?, which is sheltered from rain, after all.

1 Like Save    
terezosa / terriks

11 Likes Save    
elvis

I actually took one when I, uh, very recently, when I was, uh, when I was — you know the radical left was saying, ‘Is he all there? Is he all there?’ And I proved I was all there ‘cause I aced it, I aced the test, and he should take the same exact test, a very standard test at Walter Reed Medical Center. I took it in front of doctors, and they were very surprised. They said, ‘That’s an unbelievable thing, very rarely do people do what you just did.’

Oh, my sides! That's too, too funny ;D

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Love Sarah!

Kate

Save    
HU-274840647

Does anyone get the impression he is winding down and looking for an out he can blame elsewhere? This is cognitive dissonance.

Save    
socks(10a)

Sarah is fantastic!

Either a person passes sections of the test or they don’t. I’m sure many people pass and no one is amazed.

I was given some cognitive test components recently in the hospital. I was told 3 words and asked to repeat them later. Then draw a clock showing 11:10. Not digital!! I passed. No one was amazed.

8 Likes Save    

I’m going to be completely honest, there are many days that I could even make a guess at the date. There are many more days when I can take a stab at it but I am by no means confident of it. I usually know when it is Friday, Saturday, or Sunday but the actual date eludes me. I never see it. I nearly always know what month it is, except at the end or the beginning.

One of the funniest Instagram accounts I saw during COVID stay at home every day just posted “Today is ___day March __ 2020.” It was super helpful!

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Oh food that made laugh out loud too!

The Dr.s were surprised he 'aced' it?

Save    
HU-274840647

When this same man who lends himself to ridicule defends Saudi Arabia to enable arms sales and nobody notices this is clever.

2 Likes Save    
olychick

Blfenton...someone didn't like the name of the animals even tho' it's a word directly from the pandemic president's mouth! It's gone...here's a link

https://me.me/i/name-montreal-cognitive-assessment-moca-educationbst-date-of-bth-visuospatial-20371857

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Did he pay Joe Shapiro to take the cognitive test for him?

12 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

^^^^😂😂😂

Save    
jmm1837

I expect this is just another example of Trump not understanding what doctors are saying.

3 Likes Save    
clearwaters

I wouldn't be surprised if the next test he brags about passing, to the amazement of the doctors, is the test for STDs.

2 Likes Save    
bob_cville

Clearwaters' post made me think of syphilis which if not if not treated can eventually affect the brain:

In some cases, this is followed by a tertiary stage, which is the most serious and may involve any organ in the body. It is seen 10 to 30 years after the initial infection, and is best known for causing neurologic and neuropsychiatric disease: Neurosyphilis.

The symptoms of neurosyphilis are protean, varying widely from one individual to another. Commonly recognized symptoms include irritability, loss of ability to concentrate, delusional thinking, and grandiosity. Memory, insight, and judgment can become impaired. Insomnia may occur. Visual problems may develop, including the inability of pupils to react to the light. This, along other ocular pathology, can result in photophobia, dimming of vision, and squinting. All of these things have been observed in Trump. Dementia, headaches, gait disturbances. and patchy hair loss can also be seen in later stages of syphilis.

From: https://newrepublic.com/article/140702/medical-theory-donald-trumps-bizarre-behavior

Save    
Joaniepoanie

7 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Pathetic Donald is such a proud little boy for "acing" his little simplistic test. Did the doc give him a golden star? He's so excited since it's the only A he ever obtained on any test.....except the ones he paid for of course.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I notice that his cognitive impairment test did not include much reading. Given the way he reads some of his speeches, I wonder how he would score on a test that had more reading problems and writing responses.

Kate

3 Likes Save    
bob_cville

> I actually took one when I, uh, very recently, when I was, uh, when I was --

The first sentence sounds like he was going to say either where he was or why he was there when he took the test. And then he realized that it was not something he wanted people to know. And so he pivoted to attack the "radical left".

Considering just after that he blurted out that it was at Walter Reed Medical Center that he took the test, it must have been the why he was there that he didn't want people to know. If it was the seemingly unplanned visit back in November that was subsequently dismissed as part of his routine physical -- which it clearly wasn't -- what could have been the real purpose of the visit such that it involved a cognitive impairment test?

Furthermore how dim, stupid and moronic do you have to be to not realize that "acing" that test is not a feat worth bragging about, instead even being asked to take the test indicates that doctor's have reason to suspect you are "cognitively impaired" and perhaps no longer able to safely or effectively function on your own. The fact that he thinks its something that could trip up Biden suggests that rather than "Acing it" he struggled and even if he got every single point it was by the skin of his teeth.

If he is sooooo proud of he wonderful, amazing performance on the test perhaps he should take it again -- Live on camera -- as a throw-down challenge to Biden. There's little chance he'd listen to me, so all of those here who support him, who think he's a veritable genius, and sharp as a tack encourage him to take this test again, live on camera, to show the world the depths of his intellect. Perhaps if we see him demonstrate what you all profess to be the case we might see your side and why you support him.

4 Likes Save    
Barbara Wilson

Sorry Bob have to disagree with your third paragraph. At a “certain age” that test becomes part of your annual physical. For no special reason except being a full yearly physical.

And yes, I did ace mine🙂

Save    
bob_cville

Yes but if you have a personal physician who attends to your routine medical needs, that personal physician will handle your annual physical. So the fact that he was rushed off to Walter Reed Medical Center for something means that there is zero chance that it was for part of a normal annual physical.

And so whatever that visit was for, it seems that the doctors felt it necessary to have him take a cognitive impairment test.

1 Like Save    
bob_cville

I looked at the test in the link posted by olychick above:

https://me.me/i/name-montreal-cognitive-assessment-moca-educationbst-date-of-bth-visuospatial-20371857

and made an attempt to remember it. And now two days later the entire test is still lodged in my brain.

Save    
HU-274840647

A young man fell out of a tree, I wasn’t the first to get to him and the ambulance was on it’s way,the climber/faller looked concussed. The ambulance crew sat him up one said how many fingers am I holding up, then what is your name and where are we? A man next to me asked what they were doing and the young paramedic said, “We have to give him a cognitive impairment test to see if his brain is damaged “ and I thought of Trump.

2 Likes Save    

Hope the young man is doing well now HU-647. Scary thing to witness.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

There are rumors his 5 min visit wearing a mask at Walter Reed was to cover up his 45 minute PET scan. Maybe that’s why he was talking about his cognitive test. If he’s looking for a way out, this would be the best way.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life A Caregiver’s Guide to a Supportive Home
A daughter who’s been there shares 9 tips on tailoring a home for a loved one with dementia
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 11 Reasons to Love Wall-to-Wall Carpeting Again
Is it time to kick the hard stuff? Your feet, wallet and downstairs neighbors may be nodding
Full Story
Small Spaces Could You Live in a Tiny House?
10 things to consider if you’re thinking of downsizing — way down
Full Story