A call to Boycott GOYA !

mrskjun(9)

How dare the CEO go to the White House and praise Trump.

Julian Castro and AOC along with some other WOKE lefties are calling for a boycott of GOYA. A company that employs over 4000 mostly Hispanics in 26 locations. A company that has donated over a million cans of food to food banks and a million lbs of other food items since the pandemic. A company that was the first one to donate to Puerto Rico after the hurricane. Tear this company down!!

SaveComment183Like5
Comments (183)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gizmo

Sad isn't it, a company that has done that much good, throws that all away by going to the WH and praising Trump, somebody who is the enemy of Mexicans/Puerto Ricans and Hispanics.

Hopefully next CEO won't make this miss-step again.

16 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I'm going to boycott Goya (and I do use a lot of their stuff). There are other companies who can fill the gap for my Mexican food cravings.

5 Likes Save    
zmith

I don’t understand why you are making a call to boycott Goya, mrskjun.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Cowtowing to the money changer is thought to be a path to riches. GOYA isn’t the only company who has to stroke Trump’s ego. I wonder what he promised them to get their praise? He stated he was called by the President, which tells me he was made a deal so Trump could court Latinos.

11 Likes Save    
vedabeeps

You vote with your money every time you spend it.

13 Likes Save    
KarenS, NYC

I can't, I only use their olive oil, for years. It's the closest to what I ate growing up.

But I'm troubled by their CEO's endorsement of Trump, can't imagine what he thinks Trump 'built' other than divisiveness, racism & ever-more reasons to distrust his 'Administration' & I use that term loosely.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Boycotting is American as apple pie. Remember how the colonists refused to drink English tea?

12 Likes Save    
Kathy

GOYA made the decision based on money. Trump called him and most likely made an offer if he would make a statement praising him. I’d be interested to know what he was promised, if so. It is hard to turn down a call from the President especially knowing how vindictive Trump can be.

7 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Hopefully next CEO won't make this miss-step again.

The cancel culture is alive and well...how dare the CEO of the country's largest Latino-owned food company, who comes from an immigrant family, express a belief that's out of line with the progressive narrative! Off with his head!

Apparently the crime of his words characterizing Trump as a builder outweighs what his company has done to help people. In addition to his promise yesterday to donate a million cans of food, his company did this, back in April:

Goya Foods, America’s largest Hispanic owned food company, has made an initial donation of over 200,000 pounds of food, equivalent to over 170,000 meals, to organizations, food banks, food pantries, and soup kitchens, as well as over 20,000 protective masks across the nation. Goya will continue to donate to those facing hardships during the COVID-19 pandemic.

...Donations were made directly to Catholic Charities of New York and Newark, Food Education Fund, The Sisters of Life, The NY Common Pantry in partnership with New York City FC, City Harvest in New York City, The Community FoodBank of New Jersey, Secaucus Food Pantry, families of Cristo Rey High School, Jersey City Medical Center, The City of Jersey City for the Homeless, Holy Name Hospital, and Kingsborough Community College; Caring for Friends in Philadelphia; Feeding South Florida; The Houston Food Bank, Latino Learning Centers Inc., Tejano Center for Community Concerns, Texas Feeding Alliance and Catholic Charities of San Antonio in Texas; The Salvation Army Little Village, Catholic Charities Casa Latina and Children's Hunger Fund in Chicago. With the support of
each organization, the food has been and will continue to be distributed to families, children, homeless and the elderly communities.

https://www.goya.com/en/our-company/press-room/covid-food-donations

But none of that matters. Words must be punished!

5 Likes Save    

The cancel culture is alive and well...how dare the CEO of the country's largest Latino-owned food company, who comes from an immigrant family, express a belief that's out of line with the progressive narrative! Off with his head!

I honestly don't get why it's cancel culture. I have a right to spend my money any way I want, as do other people. "Cancel culture" (which is a BS phrase by the way) is not a new phenomenon. In the sixties there were plenty of companies that got boycotted.l American as apple pie, indeed!

20 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Those who are upset with the boycott of GOYA are free to purchase their products to try to make up for the -- maybe -- decreased sales.

12 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

The RW concern over Goya and all Hispanic companies is overwhelming and duly noted.

11 Likes Save    

How dare the CEO go to the White House and praise Trump.

This is for the consumers of GOYA products to decide.

If there is a noticeable decline in sales, then there is anger over the CEO's actions.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Boycotting is American as apple pie. Remember how the colonists refused to drink English tea?

--

Boycotts, dissent and protest. 🇺🇸

5 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Whatever happened to let the customer decide if a company made the right or wrong decision? That argument was trotted out during the baker issue with a gay couple. Conservatives said if people want to shop elsewhere then they will. A boycott is simply a well-publicized decision to shop elsewhere. Conservatives decided to boycott Nike too.

In these days of social media, it is easy to share your opinion on your shopping habits. Welcome to the modern world.

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Nothing is stopping Donnie fans from rushing stores and emptying shelves of GOYA products to show their Donnie love.

Go forth, but be sure to wear your mask even though Donnie can't be bothered.

8 Likes Save    
lurker111

Jim Jordan

5 hrs ·

First, the Left wanted to defund ICE.
Next, they wanted to defund DHS.
Then, it was #DefundThePolice.

Now? The Left is calling to defund the military.

Their real project is to “cancel” America!

7 Likes Save    
Ann

"Nothing is stopping Donnie fans from rushing stores and emptying shelves of GOYA products to show their Donnie love."

Absolutely. Dems did not successfully drive Chick-fil-A out of business and I hope GOYA sales will experience an increase as a result of this called for boycott.

7 Likes Save    
lurker111

Without the police and the military, the left will be able to wage their uncivil war. These are the only things stopping them. The morons are already comparing us to the Nazi's, for nothing more than their imagination. They need help...FAST!

1 Like Save    
Stars Inthesky

No more Goya products for me. They can go away with that my pillow guy

8 Likes Save    

I hope GOYA sales will experience an increase

Don't just hope -- open your wallet as well.

7 Likes Save    
lurker111

I've never heard of GOYA. From the looks of what they offer, I'll probably never try their products.

Save    
Gizmo

Just goes to show what a thirsty CEO Unanue is praising Trump, who he(Trump) disses GOYA's main customer base

Video of the speech quickly made the rounds on social media, with many
consumers upset that “America's largest Hispanic-owned food company”
would support a president who has called Mexicans rapists, puts immigrant children in cages, and continues to attempt to dismantle DACA.

https://www.glamour.com/story/chrissy-teigen-and-more-celebs-join-goya-boycott-after-ceo-praises-donald-trump

Save    
Nana H

He has the right to express his opinion and others have a right to reject his message and show their displeasure. Not sure what the big deal is,

9 Likes Save    

When a boycott was announced against Chick-fil-A, many Hot Topics conservatives vowed to purchase their fast food in support of the company.

Not so much with GOYA.

Hope will have to suffice.

1 Like Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

I've always been very picky about where I spend my money and who gets my business. I try to avoid supporting any business whose values I dislike. I guess I've been boycotting and "cancel-culturing" (that is a BS, meaningless term) for decades now -- ahead of the curve. :-) I would ask, too, what's the big deal?

3 Likes Save    
daisychain01

I agree with you Mrs kjun. I don’t think boycotting will accomplish as much as dialogue and education would. It sets up an us vs them scenario where you just get heels dug in and minds turned off. Not helpful IMHO.

3 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Not so much with GOYA."

That's an assumption. And wrong.

5 Likes Save    
NOWAY2Biden

GOYA got $50 from me today. Loaded up on frozen plantains, passionfruit and soursop pulp, and mojo criolla. I'm good for a couple of weeks. RInse and repeat. GOYA has been a staple brand in our home for years. Being half Cuban/Spanish, it makes sense.

8 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

I placed an order today as well. It wasn't a problem when the Obama's invited him to the White House. I don't remember any republicans calling for a boycott then. Guess we just aren't WOKE enough to want to destroy the jobs of over 4,000 Americans.

8 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Did you say the same thing when conservatives boycotted Nike, mrskjun?

3 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Again, everyone can do as they please. Buy Goya, don't buy Goya. The choice is yours.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

It’s a big mistake for brands and corps to endorse politicians IMO. I think it is far better to remain silent and keep your politics and religion out of your business when you are serving the public. There will most likely be a backlash so why even go there unless you have something to gain?

6 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

A boycott I can get behind.

1 Like Save    
soupgirl53

I,too, think it is unwise for an owner of a business to publicly endorse political candidates because no matter who the business owner supports, some customers will be offended. Remember how this worked out for the owner of Papa John's Pizza and the right are conveniently forgetting the owner of Chik-fil-a issued another statement saying it welcomed eveyone's business once it became clear that some people were boycotting its outlets. Boycotts do not necessarily have to end in a business closing to be effective.

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

Yep Iris I most certainly did. Who do you hurt when you boycott. Certainly not the CEO. You only hurt the people who depend on a job to feed their family.

6 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Good for you, mrskjun. I don't boycott much either; in fact, I'm not sure when the last time I boycotted someone/something.

Lincoln Project on Twitter: "Black beans mean more to Trump than Black lives."

4 Likes Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

The CEO of Goya said that a boycott of his products would be a limitation of free speech. That statement is so incendiary that I will now boycott Goya, although I had not intended to before. The CEO thinks that free speech is only for him and that anyone who contradicts him is limiting free speech.

The people who work for him should look for a new employer that is more intelligent. They should also join the boycott. No one should have to put up with being told that free speech is only for CEOs. There are other companies with more benevolent leaders.

8 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

I don’t think boycotting will accomplish as much as dialogue and education would. It sets up an us vs them scenario where you just get heels dug in and minds turned off.

Who is going to have this dialogue and what exactly would the "education" be about? I cannot just call up the CEO of Goya on his phone and chat. Boycotts are about the only voice customers have.

2 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Processed foods are full of salt, sugar and fat .... but seeing what was wiped from the shelves during the pandemic frenzy (besides toilet paper) I totally get why Americans have so many health problems. Lots of canned/processed foods consumed in this country.

Meanwhile in the fresh food department there were/are no shortages, at least at my grocer.

Take a walk, eat a salad (^_^)

3 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

He was asked to serve on a commission to aide Hispanic entrepreneurs. How racist! Oh wait, no, let's boycott him. Even better!

5 Likes Save    
lurker111

A crat-cott isn't going to hurt this company. Huntz and Heinz have the crats covered. The lowest quality junk on the shelves, and john kerry will be thankful.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Like others, I don’t get the big deal. Public political statements are made by companies for effect. Why then complain about there being an effect?

It won’t influence my shopping any. Trying to think, in my lifetime I can recall having bought a couple cans of garbanzo beans, before a taste test revealed that I strongly preferred soaking dried. I also remember buying their sofrito once.

(ETA - oops I forgot about chipotle. I buy a can of that every couple years.)

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

If I have to buy canned veggies for some reason, like a pandemic where I won't be getting out, I buy Del Monte. I really don't know or care about their politics. I mix my own spices. I basically eat TexMex and BBQ. I don't like Mexican rice. Spanish rice is much better.

Save    
barncatz

I'd also like to know what Trump promised this CEO - I'm guessing more tax cuts that will help line his CEO pockets and nada for the workers.

I'm glad to see that his Trump praise didn't magically erase most people's memory of how Trump feels about Mexican heritage citizens, except on the day that they vote.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Nonsense. Most Hispanics can't stand the illegal aliens. The smarter ones won't listen to that propaganda. The crats depend on the stupid, uneducated, easily manipulated people.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

This is certainly bringing some unwanted attention to Trump and his history with folks of Latino heritage.

Save    
studio10001

ohiomom, we are having fresh food shortages my way, and I was interested to see that you are not. Prices have taken a jump, as well. Anyone else noticing differences at the market?

Save    
Tito Milian

Mrskjun— we’re not an angry mob and the Republican party doesn’t espouse a globalist, Marxist agenda.

3 Likes Save    
ohiomom

studio Ohio is an agricultural state, besides soy and corn lots of vegetables are grown here, we also have greenhouses. My local farmers market carries fresh spinach, lettuce etal in the winter grown in a local greenhouse.

I cannot stand a vegetable that comes out of a can ... I was raised on processed food even though growing up we were surrounded by family-owned farms.

Vegetables in a can? Meat in a can? NO thank you.

All of my children were raised on fresh vegetables ... quickest thing to prepare in the kitchen. Yes beans take longer, but you can soak them overnight and nowadays they have Instapots.

Leave it to some Americans to whine about canned beans ... but then they whine cause someone wants them to wear a mask.

I know who the real snowflakes are (^_^)

2 Likes Save    

From Charles Blow:

Once more: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CANCEL CULTURE. There is free speech. You can say and do as you pls, and others can choose never to deal this you, your company or your products EVER again. The rich and powerful are just upset that the masses can now organize their dissent.

Furthermore, even if you’re a public figure, you’re still a person. You are still going to make mistakes like other ppl. You just have to take your knocks for it. Lord knows I have. But, you can’t complain. YOU DID IT. There are consequences for your actions. Learn and move on.

9 Likes Save    
lurker111

I haven't heard anyone whine about wearing a mask. A few democrats were complaining about their bad breath awhile back, but that's all I've heard. I don't eat canned beans. I soak them for 24 hours and then boil for 30 mins 3 times, removing the foam, rinse, and use fresh water each time, then cook them. Fartless beans. :^)

Save    
foodonastump

Studio - fresh produce is one thing that’s barely been affected throughout COVID, here on Long Island, that I’ve noticed.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

I wouldn't know from experience, but also have heard that early on there were plenty of fresh vegetables in stores but not prepared foods.

From what I know about younger/working people--many are accustomed to providing fast food for their families or self bake pizzas, things like that.

They don't or won't have the time to chop and cook vegetables or even know how to cook them in many instances because they grew up with working parents or drugged out, neglected parents.

Of course we have a lot of people that were brought up with a parent at home that had a healthy, nutritional, attractive variety of fresh foods for dinner. Doubt it was mom picking up kids from daycare at 5:45 and getting home at 6:15, having to do laundry and worry about paying the bills. Arugula, toasted pine nuts and shaved parmesan with quality olive oil and fresh lemon juice probably wasn't on her shopping list when she braved going into the grocery store.

Additionally, those fresh vegetables were and are EXPENSIVE compared to canned beans and pasta, rice, etc. We didn't know what was going to happen with Covid in the beginning considering the dire warnings, if the Angel of Death was going to be at each house, if it would be safe to even leave our homes at some point, and if a job or income would be coming in. People needed to save.

It's one thing to cricitize people for not buying fresh vegetables or doing the right thing by their families, but we must be mindful that these were and are unusual times. People that stock up canned and packaged foods are smart.

Just like the mob of thugs physically breaking down gates into gated, private neighborhoods, trespassing onto the property of a private home, threatening to kill the residents and their pet and take over their home, and when the people came out to protect themselves, THEY are the ones in trouble with the law, which REFUSED to come out and protect THEM, and now a search warrant has been executed and their rightfully owned guns have now been confiscated and THEY are the ones in trouble.

So, yea, buy that arugula and fresh vegetables but give people a pass for doing what they need to do for their families, because it's not just COVID 19 now, it's outright lawlessness and terrorism.

The statues are only the beginning--history tells us that.

Our rights are being erased as we speak, just like the couple in St. Louis, and a special group are allowed to rob, kill, burn, steal, intimidate, threaten, destroy private property, trespass with no consequences.

Enjoy those fresh vegetables, because whether from a store, our own gardens, or farmers' markets, they're going to be the least of our concerns quite soon.

4 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

mrskjun, curiously, last week I ordered canned black beans and only got two cans, thd shopper called and said that was what they were rationing. I haven't been in a store since early March so didn't realize that was still going on. So, I ordered bags of dried black beans from Goya last week. How fortuitious. I will be ordering more products and using or donating to the food shelter.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"I don’t think boycotting will accomplish as much as dialogue and education would"

I have to say I'm not sure what dialogue and education would look like in this case. Would it be dialogue that one must support the candidate of someone else's choosing and has no right to support the candidate of their own choosing? Then, would the education piece be that they will be harmed in some fashion if they make a different choice than told to in the dialogue piece?

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Ohiomom, no doubt, the canned soup aisle was completely empty but the produce was well stocked the entire time. I noticed that as well.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"The crats depend on the stupid, uneducated, easily manipulated people."

They certainly and very, very sadly "use" the least educated and most easily manipulated people. It's really awful and can result in destruction or even death to the very people being "used".

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

I am amazed Trumpers cannot see how Trump is causing the death and destruction of the GOP.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

"They certainly and very, very sadly "use" the least educated and most
easily manipulated people. It's really awful and can result in
destruction or even death to the very people being "used"."

I think that very well describes a large segment of Trump supporters. Certainly the polls reflect a significant segment of his supporters are in the " non university educated" category. Too bad they don't have an easily manipulated category as well.

ETA This from 2019 but interesting.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/248525/non-college-whites-affinity-gop-trump.aspx

4 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

Yep libbers are all about mind control. Free speech--only if you say what they approve of! The PC police are at it again. BALANCE PEOPLE BALANCE!!!!

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

I went to the grocery yesterday intending on stocking up on canned veggies. When I looked at the 15 ft space that they were in rather than half of a long aisle I decided to leave it for others. Even the greenhouses that supply two of the sources that I purchase from are having shortages of certain things. It is nice to talk about having fresh food but the reality is that someone has to pick it. The other reality is that the pickers and processors in some areas are becoming ill from the virus. Most of the canned stuff currently on the market is from food that was either processed last year and been in warehouses or were frozen to be processed later. Normally at this time of the year the processors are clearing out their warehouses to make room for this years produce. At least here it appears that there is little or no need because in a normal year there would be sales on canned goods. Salt or no salt, processed hate or none people should have some cans of foodstuffs on hand and this year it is more important than ever.

Given the number of reports of lack of antibodies along with the number of reported reinfections with those reinfections having worse symptoms things may be much worse next year.

1 Like Save    
ohiomom

I don't know maifleur, I shop at a family-owned grocer, maybe it is because I do live in an agricultural state but produce has been plentiful here.

And not all the produce comes from my state, I know we do not grow citrus :)

I do buy and freeze a lot of produce this time of the year for the cold months ahead.

I was a working mom and I cooked. My children were latchkey kids and every single one of them knows how to chop vegggies and cook.

Maybe some don't want to be bothered cooking and that is fine, but a can of mushy salty veggies is not my idea of good eats. LOL

As far as the doom and gloom scenario of stockpiling for end times, yeah I don't think so.

Everything is gonna be allright as long as we remember that "united we stand".

Peace out ...

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

If it wasn't for the RW I don't think I'd've even heard of a goya boycott...but they are sure spending a lot of time on it. Anything to distract from 130,000+ dead Americans, right? Which is more important...hospitals overrun and people dying as a result while gop pols refuse to endorse masking? Or which brand of beans you buy?

Difficult choice, I know.

ETA: We set a record...70,000 people acquired covid just yesterday....

8 Likes Save    
Ann

"Too bad they don't have an easily manipulated category as well."

Woohoo, [sic] not even needed this time!

Save    
Nana H

"Too bad they don't have an easily manipulated category as well."

"Woohoo, [sic] not even needed this time! "

????

ETA Do we have yet another swing and a miss?

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

They certainly and very, very sadly "use" the least educated and most easily manipulated people. It's really awful and can result in destruction or even death to the very people being "used".

I agree completely...only I suspect our pronouns would reference different people.

To see the trump campaign manipulate people into attending trump rallies without distancing and masking just for his own self-aggrandizement is horrible and people are dying as a result of being used in that way. To see them turn masking into a political statement when a deadly virus doesn't care a whit about one's politics, only about how easy a host you are, is horrifying...especially as death rates are starting to rise now with the run up in infection rates given the lags involved.

2 Likes Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

Funny thing is that I wouldn't care at all if right-wingers boycotted the left-leaning companies I support and buy from. Who cares? Do what you want. Yet here some of them are trying to castigate people for exercising freedom of choice and standing together on principle...boggles the brain.

9 Likes Save    
maifleur03

All the major groceries in this area are owned by one of three families. They may have regional labels on their names, Price Chopper, HyVee but they are still family owned. National brands that are left like Aldi and Sprouts are small stores. National brands left in the 1980s after labor disputes. Since the remaining stores are "family" connected that may have played a part in their leaving. Something to look at when your visit a groceries produce area is how the stuff is displayed. In the past it would have had at least two layers of produce and bigger displays. Today one layer of produce and smaller flatter displays that make it appear to the eye that there is more on the display. This area is a regional hub for food because we have caves which make easier and cheaper storage.

Save    
maifleur03

Back to topic I have boycotted some companies because of various things but mostly because they were harming their employees either from safety or financial reasons. While this CEO or others for not thinking with a full deck it is difficult to boycott this company only because of political affiliation.

1 Like Save    
elvis

I've never tried Goya brand, but I will make it a point to use the brand now, in place of all others for similar products. I will also spread the word to do so.

Thanks for the heads-up. I hope we love it!

6 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Yep libbers are all about mind control. Free speech--only if you say what they approve of! The PC police are at it again. BALANCE PEOPLE BALANCE!!!!

Not that you ever come back to try to defend your statements, but if you surprise us all today please show me one person here or elsewhere that tried to infringe on anyone’s free speech. People are free to speak, and people are free to react to what is said. THINK PEOPLE THINK!!!!

7 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Me too Elvis. I have never tried, but at least give the product a look now;) Nothing like a good controversy to get attention;)

5 Likes Save    
kadefol

People either support trump and highly approve of his performance as president, or detest him and consider him the worst president ever. For those who detest him, why would they support a company that endorses him? Personally, I think it is foolish for any company to endorse any political candidate.

3 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Never tried Goya products here either, none of this is going to change my buying habits.

Save    
Kathy

He should have been applauded for his contributions but instead he turned it into a kiss Trump ceremony. That is despicable of Trump to do that to him. He has a way of screwing everyone who deals with him.

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

Well we all know how tolerant the left is. So tolerant that they didn't boycott GOYA when the Obama's invited him to the White House and he also praised the Obama's

5 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

It's ok to praise the good guys, who praises bad guys?

Save    
foodonastump

Obama wasn’t deplorable. You could have boycotted them back then if you didn’t like it, your right and I wouldn’t have cried about it!

4 Likes Save    
Toby

I don't think the few white Trumpers who buy a can of Goya beans can make up for the loss of thousands of Latinos who use their food several times a week.

You're not going to convince me that heartland America is suddenly going to cook Latino food and save the company. I had a friend visit the west coast from Tennessee, and of all the great food choices, she wanted to go out for dinner at Cracker Barrel.

5 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

As I said before Toby. I would imagine the CEO is quite wealthy and the boycott won't hurt him a bit. It can only hurt the four thousand or more employees who depend on a paycheck to pay their bills. So what if people get laid off because sales fall. It's the principal of the thing. We hate Trump more than we care about our fellow citizens. So why doesn't someone speak up and tell us how tolerant the left is again.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Adriana Waterston, senior vice president of Horowitz Research, which specializes in Hispanic consumers, said Goya routinely emerges among the most trusted brands in the studies she conducts for clients. She said that speaks to the potential for a deep sense of betrayal among Goya customers, though the brand's popularity will also make any boycott effort difficult.

This Goya thing is going to go down as one of the biggest marketing faux pas of the year," Waterston said. “This kind of stance is a slap in the face to the community.”

The buying power of the rapidly growing U.S. Latino community is expected to reach $1.9 trillion in 2023, according to a 2019 report on Hispanic consumer trends by the data analytics company Nielsen. While that outlook is likely to be affected by the current recession, Hispanic spending will also be a key engine of economic recovery that many brands will want to tap into, said Stacie de Armas, vice president of strategic initiatives and consumer engagement at Nielsen.

It is the Hispanic population that will make the difference to GOYA.

Save    
Iris GW

Well if Goya would fire that guy for using their company for political purposes, imagine how many people would rush back to buy their product, saving those 4000+ employees?

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

I doubt they will fire him; he is a decedent of the company's founders I believe. The rest of the family might hold similar views. But we'll see.

Save    
Kathy

There were altercations in the family about the direction of the company before Joseph died in 2015. Maybe this guy is the other side of the coin?

Save    
Nana H

Talk about a tempest in a teapot.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

This boycott will only exist in the minds of a few internet trolls. Most people won't bat an eye. Politics really isn't that important to most of the people I know.

Save    
lurker111

To see the trump campaign manipulate people into attending trump rallies
without distancing and masking just for his own self-aggrandizement is
horrible and people are dying as a result of being used in that way.

Trump gives out free masks at his rallies. Overactive imagination.^^^

1 Like Save    
Kathy

It is important to the many voting latinos because of how Trump keeps disparaging them. Now that he needs their votes he decides to bring in GOYA.

3 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Politics really isn't that important to most of the people I know.

hahahaha Yeah, but you have only voted once in your life, you said, lurker. So it isn't a big surprise political topics aren't a major focus of conversation between you and most of the people you know. There are many people outside of your little bubble of anecdotes.

5 Likes Save    
foodonastump

This boycott will only exist in the minds of a few internet trolls.

Hear that, MrsK? Big nothing burger! Nothing to get upset about.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

No lurker, not an over-active imagination:

• trump did not wear a mask
  • trump before hand suggested that wearing one might be more harmful:

The president also referred to the false claim that masks can harm wearers, while saying that people should wear them only if they wanted to. “You know, there was a time when people thought it was worse wearing a mask,” he said. “I let people make up their own decision.”

• trump campaign workers were videoed removing stickers on chairs marked for distancing at the event
  • the event only required masks upon entering the building, but once inside, people were allowed to remove them...and they did
Save    
foodonastump

Politics really isn't that important to most of the people I know.

Maybe, maybe not. I have some friends who are politically “out there”, and find it’s best just not to engage. As a result they may think I’m not interested in politics.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Ann ..."too bad" is correct. I assume that is what you are saying, An apology would be in order but I know that that would be TOO much TO expect.

Not sure why you have such a need to find a gotcha,..but clearly you do. It's just so unimportant and so, so silly.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

No lurker, not an over-active imagination:

Thanks for debunking your own post. lol Too funny!

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

"Nana- Is it just as silly as you telling others "don't feed the carp"

No QM, there is a huge difference between calling people haters, saying they are against law and order, favour criminal acts and wanting to destroy America etc than trying to catch them on a grammatical error. Huge.

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

I'm not boycotting anyone or anything foas. People get their britches in a twist over stupidest things!

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Oops sorry mrsk I thought you were the one who opened this thread, upset at the boycott.

7 Likes Save    
Ann

Margo, that's a great meme!

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

True foas, it always upsets me when people want to hurt ordinary citizens over truly stupid things.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

foodonastump

Oops sorry mrsk I thought you were the one who opened this thread, upset at the boycott.

Mrs didn't sound upset, it sounded like she was making fun of the silliness of the "wokers". I agree with her POV.

4 Likes Save    
Ann

"That ABC/Ipsos poll also had interesting numbers on how Americans feel about the rate reopening was moving at. 59% felt it was going to fast. I would expect that to go even higher with what is happening in FL, TX, MI, AZ and elsewhere."

Nana, here's a good example from just yesterday.

Save    
paprikash

Boycott the democrat party, not Goya!

5 Likes Save    
Ann

I hope that's just what voters decide to do, paprikash! They've certainly grown extreme in their actions and views, beyond what I even dreamed possible.

5 Likes Save    

lol...the dem party is so unextreme that it makes me yawn.....and maybe that's what this country needs right now. Don't confuse the party with what's going on right now in the streets - remember those burning buildings and protests are happening in Trump's America, not Biden's.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Don't confuse the party with what's going on right now in the streets - remember those burning buildings and protests are happening in Trump's America, not Biden's.

No, they are happening in DEM run cities. The Dem's do everything they can to oppose Trump and this is what they are.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Black Lives Matter want to burn the system down!

3 Likes Save    
olliesmom

I find the Republicans I know, don't cause a big scene, if a company or store says or does something that we don't like. We just quietly have it in our head and if there is another option than to shop there, we do it, or maybe we don't. No big deal. We don't call it out on insta or FB or media. That is why we are the party of class. We don't tell anyone not to support a certain product. That is your own personal decision. It's really not that hard. But, I will say, every time someone "cancels" on a product and the owner/worker gets 'canceled', it just makes it better for the President. The American people are sick of all the 'cancel culture'-do you really not get that??? It is not working in Dems favor.

8 Likes Save    
olliesmom

queenmargo

Black Lives Matter want to burn the system down!

Unbelievable they don't see that margo!

6 Likes Save    
Toby

Remember a year ago when Nike took Betsy Ross sneakers off the shelf and Governor Doug Ducey said he was withdrawing incentives for Nike to build a manufacturing plant in Arizona? 500 Jobs for Arizonians! That was classy!

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Margo, what does BLM have to do with this topic?

Save    
queenmargo

Black Lives Matter is a front. People who buy into BLM are being played.

6 Likes Save    

I just peeked inside my pantry. I have two cans of Goya beans; the rest are store-brand cans (Target, Whole Foods, Winn-D, Trader Joes) and the preponderance are Bush's. So with all those choices and absolutely no preference - except for Low Sodium which they ALL do - why would I go out of my way to buy Goya? There are just too many choices. It's just as easy NOT to buy Goya as it is to buy it.

1 Like Save    
olliesmom

Toby, c'mon! It's Betsy Ross! Who does that??? I expect our politicians to stand up for the silent majority. I actually do see some Republicans fighting back more, and I am happy to see that. It's just not our style, but at some point, we may have too. It's getting that bad.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

That is exactly why the left HATE Trump, they are use to the right caving in to them. Trump has brought some life and fight into the Republicans. It is about time we take a stand!

6 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

That is so true jz. And just like the boycotts before, Hobby Lobby, and Chick-fil-a, it usually creates a backlash, and people who have never purchased GOYA products will now do so. So really, it's only the companies that benefit from boycotts.

7 Likes Save    
olliesmom

Very true, margo!

5 Likes Save    
Iris GW

I don't know what you mean, margo, in the last 10 or so years, I have never seen the right 'cave in' to dems. All Trump has done is divide the Republican party even more than the Tea Party ever did.

1 Like Save    

mrsK: Their prerogative. That's capitalism for you. The interesting thing about Goya in our Winn-D store is that there is a Goya section - it's at the end of the international foods aisle so the cans of beans are not next to other cans of beans. Which in my store means it's easy to miss it if you aren't looking for it.

1 Like Save    

That is why we are the party of class.

Freedom fries!

4 Likes Save    
Toby

Ducey tried to hurt Nike for making a political statement. If Nike had decided not to open a new plant in AZ and not provide jobs for 500 workers, it would've hurt that community. How is it any different than non-Trump supporters boycotting Goya for their political stance?

The irony of it is that the founder of Nike is a huge Republican donor!

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

If the majority is silent, how do you know who they are and what they want?

1 Like Save    
olliesmom

^^^^

Shhh...it’s a secret lol

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Funny I don't remember the RW sturm and drang when bush wanted people to boycott french toast and call french fries "freedom fries"...

1 Like Save    
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

I've heard this weekend about the GOYA BUYcott. Supporters are buying $10-20 in GOYA products and are donating then to the local food bank. Win-win.

Our local grocery stores normally have a cart in the front of each store for people to drop off donations as they leave the store. This weekend, Hubby stated there were now multiple carts overflowing with GOYA products!

5 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Thanks for sharing that, loonlake. I already buy Goya products and was planning to stock up on more. I'm also going to buy a case of beans to donate to the food pantry.

Who knew that only a tiny group of white Trump supporters actually eat Mexican food?

4 Likes Save    
Ann

Loonlake, that's great and I hadn't heard that yet.

Totally off topic, but I sure like Back the Blue too.

4 Likes Save    
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

In our area, we have a ton of Mexican restaurants. Most people just don't choose to cook anything more complicated than tacos... most are doing lots of takeout now.

Food banks are asking for more basic foods, and our people are stepping up!

5 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I hear there are many anti- cancel culture protests woking up in the progressive cities... WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO

waking up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Likes Save    
Iris GW

I've heard this weekend about the GOYA BUYcott. Supporters are buying $10-20 in GOYA products and are donating then to the local food bank. Win-win.

That is good news!

3 Likes Save    
Ann

I certainly hope people are waking up, Margo. This is a great country. Canceling its history and ripping down its monuments is possibly the most insane idea I've witnessed in my lifetime.

6 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Canceling its history

How is history being canceled? [I don't think you can even use that verb with that noun, btw, given that history is, by definition, a finished event.]

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Are the school books removing the sections on the Civil War?

Save    
Nana H

I hadn't realized that museums and civil war historical sites like Gettysburg and Fort Sumter were being "ripped down" in order to cancel history.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Here's "cancel culture" for you...

1 Like Save    
Toby

Obviously Trump supporters are proud of our Confederate history and of the men who fought to preserve slavery. What more needs to be said?

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Regarding those books in the dumpster:

Sunrise Park Middle School Principal Christina Pierre sent a message to parents Friday morning, explaining their media specialist had put outdated library books in the recycle bin after "weeding through the collection."

"The weeding procedure is important to help us find a new home for books 10 years and older to ensure that materials are keeping up-to-date with the needs of ever-changing curriculum, school goals and student needs," wrote Pierre.

Pierre went on to say staff followed book disposal protocol by trying to donate as many as possible and distribute to Little Free Libraries in the area, however, some organizations could not accept the books due to outdated content or aren't accepting donations amid the pandemic.

https://www.fox9.com/news/principal-responds-after-photos-of-school-library-books-in-dumpster-cause-social-media-stir

Keeping materials up to date? History is out of date? They are no longer teaching history?

Save    
Nana H

Odd that it is OK to remove or minimize references to slavery in classroom teaching ......isn't that cancel culture? Or does it just go one way?

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Just did our first GOYA purchase ever. Nothing makes one want to go out and support something that the left want boycotted over a positive nod to President Trump;)

3 Likes Save    
Ann

That brought a smile, Margo. Go Goya!

4 Likes Save    
Ann

Here is a list of the removed statues. It's lengthy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monuments_and_memorials_removed_during_the_George_Floyd_protests

ETA: This list is for those thinking, nah, no biggy or very little destroyed or playing the "what are you talking about" game. No hiding or denying it, it's been a very real stab at removing a heck of a lot of our history and a heck of a lot of art! It's been serious and significant destruction! No thanks to your cancel culture, Dems!

1 Like Save    
vedabeeps

One sleeve of cookies won’t offset those of us who were regular Goya buyers.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I couldn't be bothered studying the list but most seem to have been removed by a governing body. I swill never support the toppling, destroying, or defacing of monuments but I think the absolute right thing to do is have local authorities take action that reflects the will, and or, make up of their community.

Most of the theses "monuments" were placed during thew Jim Crow or civil rights movement era...now why do you suppose that was?

I have no opinion on what the right thing is for communities to do but I would never support vandals.

Save    
queenmargo

vedabeeps- the regulars who leave will be replaced by a more loyal customer;)

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Vedabeeps, we'll have to wait and see, won't we. Chick-fil-A is doing just fine! Hopefully, Goya will have the same outcome.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

One sleeve of cookies won’t offset those of us who were regular Goya buyers.

You won't be noticed.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

at removing a heck of a lot of our history

For gawd's sake, history can't be removed just by removing a statue. The history is still out there ....

Save    
Nana H

"I expect the upcoming one will be even better. Something like ----- I
didn't say anything about statues. I was talking about museums but have
add it since I seem to live rent free in your head......mind you
-------- LOL:)"

Ann, what an odd post ....but bless your heart.... and have AT it.

Save    
Stan Areted

I don't know what's going on, but I have been texted by THREE friends and called by one, all asking me what products to buy from Goya.

I don't use that many, but shared it. One person that lives out of state has ordered a case of the rice and the seasonings, plans to donate to the food bank. Another has ordered for own use, and for family, another ordering frozen foods, which I was not aware the sold.

I've never seen people so involved, not even with Hobby Lobby or Chick Fil A.

People have had it with the cancel culture.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Only people in the south know the true nuances of how to say "bless your heart" in all the ways it can be said.

It's always obvious when some miss the mark.

Good try though.

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

^^ that's great, Stan.

We got a call from a longtime conservative today looking for a genuine conversation about the choices for president in November. He is actually interested in voting for someone other than Trump.

People have had it with Trump.

Save    
olliesmom

I just bought some more Goya Black Bean soup-easy to heat and pour over white rice with tobasco sauce and cilantro. Quick little meal. Yum!

5 Likes Save    
Nana H

Well bless your heart too Stan....I live in the south 25% of my year. Too bad the written word doesn't allow for nuance or inflection. On the other hand I love when I am told to have a blessed day .

Save    

I hope Goya is treating its labor union employees better than it has in the past. Lawsuits for trying to suppress the union fighting for (I believe) better working conditions.

Save    
Ann

Sounds good olliesmom. I'll have to try that.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Florida?

The South?

Bless your heart.

(used correctly, NOT with snark as some try to use it, but with a chuckle) ;)

1 Like Save    
shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)(Frog Rock, Australia 9b)

Sounds like a crime has been committed here, but as usual, it'll be quashed in the WH...

Full Story

Grifters gotta grift...

3 Likes Save    
cattyles

As fascinating as this Goya hoodydoo is, it only distracts from trump’s treasonous deadly acts on HT, not in the real world.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Can you imagine this being important to the nation in view of a historic public health and economic catastrophe .....bizarre.

Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

Gee, I wish AOC would call for a boycott of mask-wearing. All those conservative "mah freedom" types would start wearing masks, lickety-split. Wouldn't that be great?

Save    
cattyles

It’s not important, though. It’s just an attempt to distract. Buy Goya, don’t buy Goya. It doesn’t change anything important.

4 Likes Save    
cattyles

catspa, they’d malfunction trying to figure out what to do.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

As fascinating as this Goya hoodydoo is, it only distracts from trump’s treasonous deadly acts on HT, not in the real world.

What on earth are you talking about?

1 Like Save    
heri_cles

You will find out in November.

Save    
lurker111

What is Trump going to do in November that is treasonous and deadly? Twilight Zone.

2 Likes Save    
cecily 7A

When I shopped yesterday, the Goya shelves were fully stocked and Bush's beans were sold out. I find it amusing that Americans are proxy voting with beans. An article in the paper suggested that methane in the atmosphere is increasing as a result of more beef production. So Americans choosing black beans as a protein source is great.

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Someone is flagging posts and making them disappear. It's not only mine, many are missing. Some from yesterday are gone.

****Update***I was mistaken, the post I thought was missing is under the Ivanka, look for something new thread.

Never has there been such deplorable straight out marketing coming from the white house in support of a privately owned company.

Trumps' seem to think they are kind of Marketing gurus. I do think they understand endorsing products is not legal for them to do but they thumb their noses at such laws. They don't care and know they will not get in trouble. They don't give a can of beans that it's not allowed, they flaunt this type of behavior, and say "What are you going to do about it", as Trumplicans cheer these acts and even support.

Trymps act as if they are still on their lame reality show. But this time it's on our dime, in our house. Just why is trump doing this. For one on one adoration, for support from Hispanics? But there could be something more. How much money has Goyas owner contributed to Trump campaign?

Save    
lurker111

It's that time of the morning and the flagger is here. It's normal.^^^

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

^^ you have admitted flagging posts, lurker ...

Save    
lurker111

Yes, after I was accused of doing so, but only for violations. I haven't reported the profanity, lately. It takes more than one to have a post removed. I don't use multiple accounts to hide posts. Never did that. With the rate it's been happening to me, I just might start "not liking it" when I just don't like it.

Save    
heri_cles

I haven't reported the profanity, lately.

What kind of profanity have you reported ?

Save    
lurker111

Masked profanity. It's all about the masks these days. Personal attacks, too.

Remember the golden rule.

Save    
heri_cles

You are just unmasking yourself.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

I never masked it. I announced it. :^) I would have been banned if I abused the system.

1 Like Save    
heri_cles

Gotcha.

Save    
heri_cles

Now I know.

Save    
Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

I copied the below comment from twitter regarding Trump's picture with the Goya products spread across his desk in the OVAL OFFICE no less!!!!!.

Btw, how insulting is that to have a president of US hawking cans of beans from the peoples house. I find it disgusting myself.

"He could have used that minute to denounce bounties by foreign powers on U. S. Soldiers."

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

I love it.

Just goes to prove that anything little thing President Trump does drives liberals nuts!

It also keeps them from interfering with what he's doing for the country.

Trade agreements, criminal justice reform, creating more jobs for minorities than any time before and keeping our economy going and positive during this covid challenge, fuel and mortage rates low, opportunities, holding China accountable for deceptive trade and COVID lies and what they've done to Hong Kong, every day.

So keep worrying about beans and orange hair!

2 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

So devaluing the office of the president by hawking beans from the Oval Office doesn't bother you. That says a lot. Granted in the list of deplorable things Trump has done it's at the bottom but still....

What's next? Hawking microfiber sheet sets from the Lincoln bedroom with the Mypillow guy and Ivanka sprawled on them speaking in her oh so whispery voice.

Trumps' step in it everyday.

If Obama was hawking beans from the Oval Office and Michelle was modeling with a can of beans you all would be so angry you would be having group strokes.

... little tidbit. Not 100% if this is true, I'll check. It's the president who would discipline politicians and staff if the law about promoting private or public enterprise was broken. So... my guess he wouldn't do that. Trump has managed to find loopholes every where for everything. We got some cleaning up to do.

5 Likes Save    
lurker111

We got some cleaning up to do.

You can start with the graffiti.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

Trump had best hurry if he has other silly distractions. He doesn’t have much time left.

Save    
Gizmo

Stan Areted

I love it.

Just goes to prove that anything little thing President Trump does drives liberals nuts!

~

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, you should be so proud your President and daughter are shilling magic beans from the WH.

So Klassy!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Colors of the Year Pantone Picks a Purple for Its 2018 Color of the Year
Move over, Millennial Pink. Pantone’s color experts think Ultra Violet is ready to influence design choices next year
Full Story
Farm Your Yard How to Grow the Edible Garden That’s Right for You
Choosing the vegetables you want to plant this year will be easier if you keep a few guidelines in mind
Full Story
Pets So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story