SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_566048487

Buying second-hand Sub-Zero - what should I know?

Brooklyn
3 years ago

A local family (that I don't know personally) is renovating a house they just purchased and is selling two Sub-Zero refrigerators that were in the kitchen when they bought the house. Both units are the 30" bottom freezer (BI-30U/S) models, and both are from 2009 (so 11 years old). They appear to be in great shape and they have been using them until now, but as this family is not the first owner of the house/fridges, they don't have a detailed repair history on the units or the condition of the mechanicals.

The price for both is ridiculously cheap - $2500 for both units. This is approximately the amount that I was planning to spend on a counter depth Fisher & Paykel, so it feels hard to pass up the opportunity to get two Sub-Zero refrigerators instead. I will need to pay movers to pick up and deliver them, which is not an insubstantial cost, but would still come out to a great deal.

- Is it a mistake to buy an 11 year old Sub-Zero fridge?

- Are there good years and bad years for Sub-Zero fridges? With no repair history, and I making a big gamble?

- Buying from a person means no warranty - Is it better to get the F&P because it comes with a 5 year warranty?

- What are typical repair costs for these units if I have to pay out of pocket?

What other things should I be factoring in to this decision?

Should I buy them?

Comments (8)